Author Topic: eBay US: Cherry G80 1950 (matrix layout)  (Read 7074 times)

Offline eyesnine

eBay US: Cherry G80 1950 (matrix layout)
« on: Thu, 03 November 2011, 22:13:10 »

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 03 November 2011, 23:58:52 »
lol wut

Just when I think i'm starting to understand this niche keyboard stuff, something like this, or the Datahand come along.
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Magna224

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 04 November 2011, 02:04:52 »
This has been up for a long time I have looked at it quite often and contemplated buying it so I can have a ban/mute/kick button for each player in my server. I'm a lazy ref I don't want to type.
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline insilica

• Keyboard Geeza
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 04 November 2011, 08:46:19 »
Quote from: Magna224;445313
This has been up for a long time I have looked at it quite often and contemplated buying it so I can have a ban/mute/kick button for each player in my server. I'm a lazy ref I don't want to type.

lol, that's not a bad idea!
FreeBSD :: Gentoo :: Arch :: [Project Roswell] :: U2410 Eyefinity :: WC P280 :: 3930K [C2] (4.5GHz)
ASUS Maximus IV :: 64GB Vengeance :: MSI 7970 xFire ::  Seasonic 1KW :: M4 256GB

REALFORCE 87U Silent (Variable) | Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja TKL (Brown) | FC660C

Offline Ascaii

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 03:27:19 »
If I remember correctly these use browns.
"Mechanical keyboards are like pokemon:
you start with one, and then you wanna catch em all."

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 05 November 2011, 04:46:17 »
That is an ugly layout :rolleyes:
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline glycolate

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 04:14:03 »
credit card swipe slot on the top? i cant make it out

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 05:47:14 »
Quote from: glycolate;447200
credit card swipe slot on the top? i cant make it out
Looks just like one to me. This isn't surprising, as I think it's supposed to be some sort of POS board.

Offline squarebox

• In Omnia Paratus
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 13:34:11 »
They are brown with NKRO.

Filco Yellow Edition  | Filco Brown | Filco 2 Brown TKL | G80-1950 | G80-3494 | G80-11900 | Leopold FC500R | Noppoo Choc Mini

fossala

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 15:08:53 »
Can you place whatever keys you want wherever you want? So make a typematrix dvorak layout? How do you program the board?
Thanks

Offline Magna224

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 17:13:21 »
Most likely it is hardware programmable through cherry tools similar to the other G80 POS boards.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 November 2011, 17:18:21 by Magna224 »
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline Parak

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 11:45:03 »
It is hardware programmable, but it only supports an ancient version of the software with some keys missing (notably /? iirc), and requiring XP to load the drivers. I'll probably mod mine to a teensy or aikon at some point.

Offline Sig

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 03 January 2012, 15:48:37 »
wow i really want one of these
2x2 and 2x1 keycaps - perfect for a diy split matrix layout keyboard
the hardware i don't really care about :tongue:

anyone that bought it considering selling some of their keycaps?
or could someone ask the seller for international shipping?

i'd buy one but i'm located in germany and can't contact the seller

Offline kbdfr

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 03 January 2012, 23:23:27 »
Quote from: Sig;482609
wow i really want one of these
2x2 and 2x1 keycaps - perfect for a diy split matrix layout keyboard
the hardware i don't really care about :tongue:

anyone that bought it considering selling some of their keycaps?
or could someone ask the seller for international shipping?

i'd buy one but i'm located in germany and can't contact the seller

If you're interested only in the keycaps (Cherry MX compatible relegendable 1x1, 1x2 and 2x2), pls PM me.
I'm in Germany as well and sure can help.

Offline eyesnine

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 11 January 2012, 14:54:19 »
I ended up buying one of these, from this seller, and I have to say that after some work setting it up it was worth it. I really like my new Cherry MX Brown matrix layout keyboard!

The software is a POS. Key assignment is very clumsy, and it only runs on XP (so I needed to install XP and set up a dual boot to get it running). However, the only keys that cannot be assigned from a standard keyboard are the win and app keys (which I don't miss so much). Now that it's set up it works very well. It's connected by PS/2, so I have no problems in BIOS.

Keep in mind that when using a double/quad key, it will be much stiffer to press, since it's supported by multiple switches. I solved this issue by cutting down the springs under these switches to 10mm, which gets just about the right amount of force on the double keycaps.

This created another problem, since when a double key is placed on two switches with cut springs, it doesn't rebound properly 100% of the time. This is because the double key puts sideways pressure on the switches, which the lighter springs have a hard time overcoming. I solved this issue by widening the cruciform on one side of the keycap (by scraping some plastic out) - essentially the double keycap now only attaches to the switch on one side. So, those double keys feel good now, but it took some work to get it there.

The layout I'm using I'm very proud of - I made a split layout similar to a humble hacker. I decided to try out using left thumb modifiers (after a week I can capitalize faster, I'm still getting used to the ctrl hotkeys, though). I moved the + and - keys to the left pinky from the right pinky (which, IMO, is vastly overused on a standard layout). Also, I moved the navigation keys, number pad, tab, backspace and enter to sit in between the alphanumeric split. I especially like the new backspace location, since I can spam it really fast with my right index finger, while leaving my right pinky on the home row. One other thing - I moved the 1 and 0 keys down a row to make them more accessible for my pinkys, which are unfortunately shorter than my other fingers.

I took the keys from an old and very used G80-8113, which probably should have been cleaned first, but I was anxious to play with my new keyboard. The relengendable keys aren't great, but I'm too cheap to order a full set of custom double shots for this project anyways. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a used Access keyboard with just the right doubleshots to make this keyboard look nice, but I don't really care that much, anyway. I do use Colemak, which complicates finding the right doubleshots.

I attached a pic so you can see what I'm talking about. The left double key is shift and the right double key is space, those are unmarked at the moment. Also, I apologize for the poor quality of the picture - it was rushed.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 37273[/ATTACH]
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 January 2012, 15:07:49 by eyesnine »

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 14 January 2012, 18:49:13 »
Damn it, why do so few sellers ship to Canada?  We're your hat!