Author Topic: Modding Poker II to Toxic  (Read 6038 times)

Offline KH

• My fotki pics
Modding Poker II to Toxic
« on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 06:33:52 »
Soo, I got Toxic set from Techkeys and got idea to turn it to Toxic all the way. Nothing fancy tho, Vortex alucase, Toxic set, green leds and Toxic cable.

I got the leds today. Keys are on the way on USPS and they're stuck on Chicago. :-\ Cable sleeve hasn't been sent from Hongkong.

Tried one led at first and realized the normal leds are not bright enough. Fffuuuu. So I ordered superbrights. But I desoldered the blue leds off and then I'll just need to solder the green ones in. ;D

All leds are now off and now just have to clean the holes from solder.

And now, nonbacklit Poker for a moment.

And now the hardest part. Waiting the parts to come.  :'(

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
Re: Modding Poker II to Toxic
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 06:56:42 »
For the dim led problem I believe you could have changed the SMD diodes.  However that would be extremely hard for a beginner. I can barely even understand how someone could do those with a soldering iron.
I wish you luck with your project!
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline KH

• My fotki pics
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 07:04:06 »
I checked from datasheets that blue and green can be changed without resistor change. And the blue ones were super bright when you look at them without caps so I'm sure the problem is just that the normal leds are not bright enough.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 09:14:54 »
I checked from datasheets that blue and green can be changed without resistor change. And the blue ones were super bright when you look at them without caps so I'm sure the problem is just that the normal leds are not bright enough.

I think the first hint could have already been the green rather then clear housing/body of the LEDs.

LEDs with a colored (green/red etc) housing are usually the dim type to be used in situation you would directly look at them, like using them as indicator LEDs in direct view.
The bright type as far as I know always comes with clear 'housings' on the LEDs, or at least i have never seen it the other way around.

Offline KH

• My fotki pics
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 09:23:16 »

I think the first hint could have already been the green rather then clear housing/body of the LEDs.

LEDs with a colored (green/red etc) housing are usually the dim type to be used in situation you would directly look at them, like using them as indicator LEDs in direct view.
The bright type as far as I know always comes with clear 'housings' on the LEDs, or at least i have never seen it the other way around.

True. But I bought the LEDs at local store and I just didn't think it through. Hope the superbrights are worth of money. ;D

Still no updates on the cap set. Where are you?! :'(

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 09:36:01 »
True. But I bought the LEDs at local store and I just didn't think it through. Hope the superbrights are worth of money. ;D

Still no updates on the cap set. Where are you?! :'(

The same happened to me before as well KH, and I bet many others here too so no worries! =)

I just felt like we should point out to always be suspicious on those colored housing/body LEDs to prevent others from having to make the experience first hand and just get the right LEDs first try...  :thumb:

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 09:38:46 »
Just wanted to post and confirm that resistors do not need to be changed when changing between green and blue LEDs.  I swapped out the green ones in my Orbweaver for blue ones a little over a year ago and it is still going strong.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline KH

• My fotki pics
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 09:42:26 »
Just wanted to post and confirm that resistors do not need to be changed when changing between green and blue LEDs.  I swapped out the green ones in my Orbweaver for blue ones a little over a year ago and it is still going strong.
Yea, I checked that too before I ordered the green LEDs. :thumb:

Offline KH

• My fotki pics
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 22:43:00 »
Checked the difference between normal LED and blue. One pad on S burned out, iron was obviously too hot but I made fix by taking voltage from another LED. Unfortunately pic disappeared because I was changing my phones SD-card to bigger and I think I replaced the folder with earlier one. :mad: EDIT: Checked. The pics are gone which I took when I soldered the green LEDS.

Also the green ones came and I installed them. They had a little neck which I didn't file off and leds are little high. I forgot to check it 'cause I was too excited. :)) I'm not sure do they touch on the keycaps or not, feeling is ok when I'm writing so I think I can forgive myself this mistake. Otherwise I think I could not.. :-X :))

USPS' tracking is two days late. :eek: Soooooo, I think I have a chance to get the caps before easter. Maybe. ****, I'm too excited about it to do anything rational. :confused:
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 March 2015, 22:47:10 by KH »

Offline Thumper_

• Spend all my money.
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 14:20:15 »
This looks so good. Do you have a link to the used LEDs? I'm currently trying to solder color changing less but get key problems on certain colors.

Offline KH

• My fotki pics
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 21:10:22 »
This looks so good. Do you have a link to the used LEDs? I'm currently trying to solder color changing less but get key problems on certain colors.

RGB LEDs has 3 legs? Or did you mean RGB LEDs on that color changing? I ordered them by local vendor and these are the spesific LEDs

http://www.partco.biz/verkkokauppa/product_info.php?cPath=1037_1672&products_id=6764

And my toxic set has moved, damn I think I may be able to get them before easter.  :confused:

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 23:43:02 »
RGB leds have 4 legs.  One leg for each color and a common ground
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Thumper_

• Spend all my money.
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 03:32:49 »

RGB LEDs has 3 legs? Or did you mean RGB LEDs on that color changing? I ordered them by local vendor and these are the spesific LEDs

http://www.partco.biz/verkkokauppa/product_info.php?cPath=1037_1672&products_id=6764

And my toxic set has moved, damn I think I may be able to get them before easter.  :confused:
I ordered these and get issues.

RGB leds have 4 legs.  One leg for each color and a common ground
Indeed. But i have those auto changing with 2 legs..

Offline KH

• My fotki pics
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 09:05:30 »
So how do the colorchanging LEDs work if you had minor problems with them? Are they changing the color all the time, like strobo or wave?

I got the Toxic set, I'm going to take good pics maybe tomorrow. ISO set would be awesome with this set but we'll see can I get one.. :)

Offline Thumper_

• Spend all my money.
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 10:38:23 »
They worked soooo good, that i desoldered them again, as they drain to much power :/ got laggs all over the board.
Will order some SIP sockets and when i solder those ill lube my switches aswell.

Offline KH

• My fotki pics
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 12:06:22 »
Haha, I know that. I got 10ft Pexon cable and my ex Ducky TKL did same with that cable. :)) Poker works fine with it.

But here's few pics of Toxic Poker

I painted Poker's original enter green, so if that would be a temporary fix for the lack of ISO kit. And also painted one 1.25 key for Pn but it touched my shirt and was ruined. Color is not nearly to toxic's original but no spraypaints were as nearly light as the toxic set so I mixed a quick paint from my pinstriping paint. Maybe it's good enough for temporary fix.. :-X And ALT keys have now arrows and shift has ALT key, that's better solution than that PN-keys down arrow.

But I'm pleased with the toxic set, I hope sooo much that someone would sell me ISO set so this would be perfect.. :-\

And tomorrow new pics, thanks for watching and good night. :))

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 21:01:35 »
PM me your address. I'll give you an iso kit.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline KH

• My fotki pics
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 22:41:14 »
PM me your address. I'll give you an iso kit.
Pm coming right away. I can't believe this is true. THANK YOU SIR! I can't even believe it. Just so big thanks to you! :cool:

Offline KH

• My fotki pics
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 01:54:07 »
Soo here's few pics I promised. I can't wait to get the ISO-set from danielucf and I can get rid of the painted slippery and shiny enter key. :p But it's okay for temporary use, still my Poker will be Perfect in few weeks.  :-*

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 02:00:29 »
Nice. That stand in ISO kit isn't bad at all. Good work. Pretty cool danielucf is hooking you up. Just need that kit and some shots with the LEDs lit up.
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline KH

• My fotki pics
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 22:49:22 »
Here's pics with LEDs. :cool: Yeah, the ISO looks cool too. And thanks to danielucf, I get my dream keyboard from unfinished absolute perfection. :cool: Or maybe some ZomBro could be on it... :))

But here's the potato pics with the incomplete set:

It's just soooo cool how the light comes through the alphas. I can't wait to get the ISO kit and get rid of the two black alphas and I get real Toxic enter and shift; then the lowest row can be with full 1.25x keys. :cool:

I was prepared that it can take year or two to get the ISO kit. So it's just so awesome that danielucf hooked up. Sorry daniel but I can't hype this enough before I get my Poker on perfect Toxic set. :))

Offline KH

• My fotki pics
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 11:11:14 »
That ebay-cheapo sleeve came and I did a cable to Poker. Pexon's sleeve has much more quality but I wanted to try what kind of sleeving are there on sale. This was 7€ with postage for 5 metres. :)) It's like harder plastic and Pexon's sleeving was like soft fabric. But I'm sure it'll do it's job. :))

Offline KH

• My fotki pics
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 14:37:49 »
Got the ISO set last thursday.