Author Topic: [TMK] HHKB Alt Controller with Mini-B/Type-C connector  (Read 521905 times)

Offline mseaworthy

Re: [TMK] HHKB Alt Controller
« Reply #450 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 15:05:41 »
Really appreciate some help on this...

What should be mapped on the fn key on the main layer for HHKB Pro 2 in order to take advantage of the key combination (LSHIFT + RSHIFT + Fn + P) to go into bootloader mode?

It seems I have accidentally re-mapped my fn key and I can no longer use the key combination to get into bootmapper mode.

Right now I'm having to open the board to press the reset button--don't want to be doing it that way.

Should it be "NO" or "L0" or something else?

NOTE: I was able to drop back to Hasu's default config .Hex and start fresh from there.

« Last Edit: Thu, 19 October 2017, 16:58:02 by mseaworthy »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #451 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 19:53:49 »
To start up bootloader you can press both shifts and 'Pause' in TMK. In default HHKB keymap 'Pause' is assigned to FN+P but you can place the key('Pause') anywhere.

Offline mseaworthy

« Reply #452 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 23:20:11 »
Thanks, Hasu. I was aware of the great key combo shortcut for getting into bootmapper mode, but I had just had this great idea that I should remap my RShift becuase I never use it...so when I went to use the RShift as part of the key combo for flashing...I was toast.

I was having a challenge getting back to a default layout (RShift was RShift) but I eventually figured it out.

Thanks for your help and for Making the HHKB "great again."

Offline mseaworthy

« Reply #453 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 11:31:46 »
I have one of these 90 degree USB adapters on my Hasu HHKB controller in hopes of preserving the longevity of the port—I know some say there’s nothing to worry about but why take chances when you depend on the control offered by this great device.

The 90 degree adapter fits more loosely than a standard cable so I wonder if it’s actually worse by introducing a little lateral force?

180739-0

Offline Atredl

« Reply #454 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 14:05:59 »
I have one of these 90 degree USB adapters on my Hasu HHKB controller in hopes of preserving the longevity of the port—I know some say there’s nothing to worry about but why take chances when you depend on the control offered by this great device.

The 90 degree adapter fits more loosely than a standard cable so I wonder if it’s actually worse by introducing a little lateral force?

(Attachment Link)
Using that adapter wouldn't reduce the force that's being applied to connector, it'll just move where that force is being applied. In this case it might increase the force experienced by the connector since you're basically adding in a moment arm (think lever) and moving the force away from the center of the connector.

That's all the physics of what's going on. In reality though, the cables we use don't have enough weight to cause any damage when they're just sitting on our desks. Unless your cable has one of those aviator connectors right up against the mini usb connector so that the aviator connector is lifted off your desk, there is no damage being done when everything is just sitting there.

If I was you, I would go without the adapter since it doesn't actually help what you are trying to achieve. However, if you need the cable to make a quick 90 degree turn because of space constraints, don't be afraid to use the adapter.

Edit: If you’re worried about connector longevity, I would pay attention to the way you connect/disconnect the cable since we are capable of exerting a lot more force than a sitting cable.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 October 2017, 14:29:03 by Atredl »

Offline mseaworthy

« Reply #455 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 16:36:24 »
@Altedl - Thanks for your reply.

Yes, it was the later concern. Just trying to increase the longevity of the port. When I think of it, I'm careful inserting and removing the cable, but I switch keyboards and locations somewhat frequently so only a matter of time before I do something careless...

The adapter pictured is lousy. It is loose and as you suggested, I think it's applying more leverage than the cable does on its own. However, I remembered I had an Motorola adapter (USB A female to USB Mini male) that is nearly 2x longer, has a tight port fit. It seems to accomplish what I'm looking for.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 October 2017, 17:09:58 by mseaworthy »

Offline mseaworthy

« Reply #456 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 17:15:34 »
Is there a code accessible within the TMK online editor that can help with the situation where you sort of get stuck between layers?

Sometimes when I get no result when I hit a key, and I’ll hit it a few more times before I realize “I’m stuck.” And I can typically get un-stuck by hitting my f3 layer key.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #457 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 23:30:53 »
When you have "stuck layer" you suffer from mess of keymap or bug of firmware.
First thing you should do is to fix keymap(or firmware) there.

what is "f3 layer key" exactly?

Offline mseaworthy

« Reply #458 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 11:18:50 »
Sorry for being unclear. The f3 layer key I'm referring too in my HHKB layout is the bottom R-ALT.

I've attached my HEX produced from the online editor.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #459 on: Fri, 27 October 2017, 17:50:19 »
mseaworthy, you have L3 on tab key in Layer 2 and this causes your problem probably.
Try this scenario,
1. hold Left Alt(L2) and hold the tab(L3), now Layer 2 and Layer 3 is turned on.
2. release Left Alt(L2) and  you turn Layer 2 off. But Layer 3 is still valid.
3. release tab. voila! Layer 3 is stuck now. Because tab key on Layer 3 is define 'TRNS' so firmware searches valid lower layers, at this time Layer 2 and 1 is not turned on and Layer 0(always on) is used in the end. The tab key on Layer 0 is defined 'TAB' so 'Tab release' event occurs, which makes no sense there.

You can solve this problem by placing 'L3' on tab key in Layer 3. Try this keymap.
https://goo.gl/YvtyoY
(BTW, you can use 'URL' to share your keymap, use 'URL shortener' button)

This layer stuck problem was fixed on this May in repository but HHKB keymap editor is not updated yet since then. I'll update it some later. Once it is updated your original keymap also should work without the change.
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/wiki/FAQ-Keymap#modifierlayer-stuck

Offline mseaworthy

« Reply #460 on: Sat, 28 October 2017, 12:02:06 »
Thanks for the information, Hasu.

My motivation for having L2 and L3 active at the same time was to enable mouse keys on same keys as my arrow keys (L-CMD + IJKL).

Layer 1 = Arrow navigation on IJKL; Layer 1 activated by holding L-CMD
Layer 2 = IJKL are part of my embedded numpad; Layer 2 activated by holding L-ALT
Layer 3 = IJKL are mouse keys; Layer 2 and Layer 3 activated by holding L-ALT and L-CMD together

I wasn't aware holding two keys to turn on a layer would create a conflict.

As you can see from the layout, I have fn3 on the R-ALT, but I don't have the dexterity (nor is it comfortable) to hold R-ALT while reaching for IJKL.

Maybe the best idea for me would be to find another key on the left side of the board I can hold with my pinkie or thumb while using IJKL mouse keys (similar to the way I hold L-CMD + IJKL for arrows). Anyone else using mouse keys...how do you activate them?

EDIT: Looks like I might be able make it work by putting ACTION_LAYER_TAP_KEY on my Tab key to enable mouse keys on L3 (IJKL) without any conflict. https://goo.gl/MauU9n

I continue to be amazed at the power and control Hasu makes available to this community. Not trying to be condescending, but it makes you question the productivity of using a keyboard without the full control offered by the flexibility of this tool. Thanks again, Hasu.
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 October 2017, 12:32:42 by mseaworthy »

Offline jackielii

« Reply #461 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 04:33:55 »
Hi,

Got my BT controller a few days ago. Being able to remap my keys feels great.

Got a tiny problem but I'm not sure what could be the cause: The bluetooth sometimes randomly disconnects, and then re-connects after ~30 seconds. There is no pattern as to when it disconnects. But seems when it disconnects, I'm always typing something.

Can this be an hardware issue?

Here is my setup:

T440s
Xubuntu 1604
HHKB pro2
BT Controller
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 November 2017, 04:35:29 by jackielii »

Offline jackielii

« Reply #462 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 05:40:03 »
For those in the UK looking for batteries. Here is my experience:

1. be aware of the cable length:
181418-0
    I then tried extend the cable, but realised it doesn't fit  :( . I remember seeing the picture of this battery from one of the links in Hasu's post. It must be an example that doesn't work. So I won't post the buy link here

2. This works: https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/lipo-battery-pack

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #463 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 07:08:03 »
Hi,

Got my BT controller a few days ago. Being able to remap my keys feels great.

Got a tiny problem but I'm not sure what could be the cause: The bluetooth sometimes randomly disconnects, and then re-connects after ~30 seconds. There is no pattern as to when it disconnects. But seems when it disconnects, I'm always typing something.

Can this be an hardware issue?

Here is my setup:

T440s
Xubuntu 1604
HHKB pro2
BT Controller

Not sure what its cause is but try removing pairing infos from both host and keyboard.
Press both shifts and 'p' to remove the infos from keyboard. I think you know how to do it on the xubuntu.

Also restart these daemons may help or just reboot OS.
Code: [Select]
$ ps auxww|grep blue
noname   12941  0.0  0.0 150304     0 ?        S    Oct28   0:00 /usr/lib/bluetooth/obexd
root     13121  0.0  0.0  32960  2572 ?        Ss   Oct28   0:02 /usr/lib/bluetooth/bluetoothd
noname   14842  0.0  0.6 710144 24800 ?        Sl   Oct28   0:40 /usr/bin/python3 /usr/bin/blueman-applet

If things above doesn't help press both shifts and 'scrolllock' to initialize BT module.

Offline tragedyfoundus

« Reply #464 on: Sat, 02 December 2017, 07:20:40 »
So I flashed my firmware, all my layers work great but I can't get the bluetooth to work. I turn the switch on and the led flashes red, then I go to my bluetooth devices but it doesn't show up. I've attempted to pair it with other devices such as my laptop and even my phone and it works perfectly but it won't actually pair with my main PC, doesn't show up at all. I've updated my drivers, reset my bluetooth services, still nothing. Getting very frustrated here. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 December 2017, 12:44:22 by tragedyfoundus »

Offline tragedyfoundus

« Reply #465 on: Sat, 02 December 2017, 07:56:38 »
And how do I get NKRO to work? I used Flip to flash my firmware btw.
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 December 2017, 10:42:52 by tragedyfoundus »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #466 on: Sat, 02 December 2017, 15:56:15 »
does the red led keep flashing?
Which os are you using on the main pc?

1) Try to turn off the laptop and phone, this keeps the devices from connecting to keyboard.
2) Press both shift and p to remove pairing info from bluetooth module

Currently default firmware for Bluetooth controller doesn't support NKRO. You have to build firmware yourself.

Add a line below to Makefile.unimap.rn42 and run 'make -f Makefile.unimap.rn42'. Note that NKRO works only on USB.
---
NKRO_ENABLE = yes
---

Offline tragedyfoundus

« Reply #467 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 03:33:37 »
does the red led keep flashing?
Which os are you using on the main pc?

1) Try to turn off the laptop and phone, this keeps the devices from connecting to keyboard.
2) Press both shift and p to remove pairing info from bluetooth module

Currently default firmware for Bluetooth controller doesn't support NKRO. You have to build firmware yourself.

Add a line below to Makefile.unimap.rn42 and run 'make -f Makefile.unimap.rn42'. Note that NKRO works only on USB.
---
NKRO_ENABLE = yes
---

Yes, the red light keeps flashing. I've disconnected the keyboard from all other devices as well and it still won't discover the keyboard. I've pressed both shifts and P several times as well. As for building my own firmware; what programs would I need for that ? I'm currently using Windows 10 Pro 64bit which I know isn't ideal for building firmware or so I read. Thanks for the reply too, definitely need some help here haha.
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 December 2017, 07:02:21 by tragedyfoundus »

Offline tragedyfoundus

« Reply #468 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 14:51:55 »
Okay so I've managed to flash the firmware with Ubuntu on Oracle VM Virtual Box. But how do I exactly make my own layout for the keyboard? Like set my own custom layers?

Offline RowanG

« Reply #469 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 18:09:52 »
So I am playing with the idea of starting to contribute to the source code and implementing a new more power efficient bluetooth le 4.0 module: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/nRF52832-2-4GHz-Wireless-rf-Module-CDSENET-E73-2G4M04S-SPI-SMD-rf-Receiver-transmitter-Bluetooth-Module/32819293925.html.

Is there any interest in this? I am not sure how much longer the battery lfie would be since the numbers aren't set in stone for that chip. I have not yet before worked with bluetooth le so I might be completely wrong but I think it might be worthwhile. Do you have any idea of this Hasu?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #470 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 18:27:35 »
Okay so I've managed to flash the firmware with Ubuntu on Oracle VM Virtual Box. But how do I exactly make my own layout for the keyboard? Like set my own custom layers?

There are two options for you.

1) use keymap edior with you
In 'Base Firmware File:' section select your own build firmware hex file 'hhkb_rn42.hex' with file chooser.
And just edit keymap and download as usual, you will get your own firmware with keymap you edited.

2) edit keymap in source code:
Copy unimap_hhkb.c or unimap_hasu.c to unimap_tragedyfoundus.c and edit it.
And run 'make -f Makefile.unimap.rn42 KEYMAP=tragedyfoundus' to compile it.

And what is your main PC's motherboard or bluetooth adapter? does it support Bluetooth 2.1 or 3?
To use this bluetooth controller you need those vesions support.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #471 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 19:11:31 »
So I am playing with the idea of starting to contribute to the source code and implementing a new more power efficient bluetooth le 4.0 module: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/nRF52832-2-4GHz-Wireless-rf-Module-CDSENET-E73-2G4M04S-SPI-SMD-rf-Receiver-transmitter-Bluetooth-Module/32819293925.html.

Is there any interest in this? I am not sure how much longer the battery lfie would be since the numbers aren't set in stone for that chip. I have not yet before worked with bluetooth le so I might be completely wrong but I think it might be worthwhile. Do you have any idea of this Hasu?

Yes, BLE and nRF chip are way to go for now. But I would start to use it with other project, such as usual mechaniral switch keyboard. It makes prototyping easy. HHKB requires 5V power source and I/O pins and power saving won't be easy job, you will need to design replacement pcb for existent keyboard switch unit to get copmlete control for power saving.

And assuming this is not just private project,
to obey radio regulation requirements I would have to be consevative a little when choosing products. They are wanted to have certifications of many countries as possible. For example this is one of cadidates. https://www.seeedstudio.com/MDBT40-256RV3-nRF51822-based-BLE-module-p-2503.html

Offline tragedyfoundus

« Reply #472 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 00:48:03 »

There are two options for you.

1) use keymap edior with you
In 'Base Firmware File:' section select your own build firmware hex file 'hhkb_rn42.hex' with file chooser.
And just edit keymap and download as usual, you will get your own firmware with keymap you edited.

2) edit keymap in source code:
Copy unimap_hhkb.c or unimap_hasu.c to unimap_tragedyfoundus.c and edit it.
And run 'make -f Makefile.unimap.rn42 KEYMAP=tragedyfoundus' to compile it.

And what is your main PC's motherboard or bluetooth adapter? does it support Bluetooth 2.1 or 3?
To use this bluetooth controller you need those vesions support.

My motherboard is the problem in regards to the bluetooth, doesn't support the right version of it for the controller. I'll just get a bluetooth adapter on Amazon.

As for option 2; Would you mind running me through the process step by step from the very beginning? I'm pretty lost here, besides it would be a good guide for other people who don't know exactly what to do either. I know that's probably really tedious but I've been lost for hours so I'd really appreciate it! :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 December 2017, 00:50:38 by tragedyfoundus »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #473 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 04:40:41 »
tragedyfoundus,
Can I have exact model number of your motherboard? I'm interested in spec of its bluetooth chip.

Does this help?
In shell prompt:
cd tmk_keybaord/keyboard/hhkb
cp unimap_hhkb.c unimap_tragedyfoundus.c
vim unimap_tragedyfoundus.c

And edit keymap in text editor.

Check these pages
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/wiki/FAQ-Keymap
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_core/blob/master/doc/keymap.md

and refer unimap_hasu.c to know how to define keymap.

Offline tragedyfoundus

« Reply #474 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 04:59:57 »
I don't know the model number but the motherboard is an MSI X99 XPower Titanium. It says on the manufacturer's website that it supports Bluetooth 2.1, 3.0, and 4.0 so I'm not sure why my PC won't discover the keyboard.

I don't have unimap_tragedyfoundus.c, all I have are the files from the TMK Master folder I got from GitHub. So what should I type into the shell prompt since I don't have unimap_tragedyfoundus.c? I added a screenshot to show you exactly what files I have inside the HHKB folder

Offline RowanG

« Reply #475 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 05:02:16 »

Yes, BLE and nRF chip are way to go for now. But I would start to use it with other project, such as usual mechaniral switch keyboard. It makes prototyping easy. HHKB requires 5V power source and I/O pins and power saving won't be easy job, you will need to design replacement pcb for existent keyboard switch unit to get copmlete control for power saving.

to obey radio regulation requirements I would have to be consevative a little when choosing products. They are wanted to have certifications of many countries as possible. For example this is one of cadidates. https://www.seeedstudio.com/MDBT40-256RV3-nRF51822-based-BLE-module-p-2503.html

I see so the power savings won't be substantial by just using a lower power bluetooth module? How about modding the BT version of the HHKB itself. I looked online but I can't find pics of an opened one to check the connectors.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #476 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 07:33:56 »
I don't know the model number but the motherboard is an MSI X99 XPower Titanium. It says on the manufacturer's website that it supports Bluetooth 2.1, 3.0, and 4.0 so I'm not sure why my PC won't discover the keyboard.

I don't have unimap_tragedyfoundus.c, all I have are the files from the TMK Master folder I got from GitHub. So what should I type into the shell prompt since I don't have unimap_tragedyfoundus.c? I added a screenshot to show you exactly what files I have inside the HHKB folder

Yeah, your pc's bluetooth should work with the controller. do you get antena connected?

you have to create the file yourself with cp command quoted in my post. The method 2) requires very primary knowledge of unix/linux  and C programming knowledge and it seems you are not ready for this. You'll have to walk through some of Linux and C primer lessons, which you can find easily online.

But I'd recommend method 1) because you already have your own built firmware with NKRO enabled.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #477 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 07:48:25 »

I see so the power savings won't be substantial by just using a lower power bluetooth module? How about modding the BT version of the HHKB itself. I looked online but I can't find pics of an opened one to check the connectors.

I guess you can extend running time 2-3 times but you cannot get month long battery life without redesigning switch unit board.

Modding PFU HHKB BT is not bad idea, probably possible, I looked into it some.  Its controller is MSP430 and bluetooth module is bcm20730. You can reprogram the MSP430 with your own firmware. Though, I for one won't play with the keyboard anymore.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=12047.msg2152474#msg2152474

Offline tragedyfoundus

« Reply #478 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 11:29:00 »

Yeah, your pc's bluetooth should work with the controller. do you get antena connected?

you have to create the file yourself with cp command quoted in my post. The method 2) requires very primary knowledge of unix/linux  and C programming knowledge and it seems you are not ready for this. You'll have to walk through some of Linux and C primer lessons, which you can find easily online.

But I'd recommend method 1) because you already have your own built firmware with NKRO enabled.

I don't have an antenna for my bluetooth, it's weird that it doesn't work. Went as far as to reinstall windows to see if that would fix it but it didn't. I tried method one and for some reason I lose NKRO. It's fine, sucks I can't have NKRO but at least I can program it.

Offline cheynestoking

• dischord.org
« Reply #479 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 16:05:17 »
Super excited to have received my replacement (BT) controller for my HHKB Pro 2 today!  Buuuut, Bluetooth doesn't seem to work correctly.  I installed the device fine, USB mode works OK (I'm typing this post on it!), and it's fully charged.  Flipping the switch for Bluetooth mode results in a flashing red LED, but it's discovered as a RNBT-786D and I can't seem to get either macOS or Windows 10 to successfully pair.  Even when the operating system says it's paired, the light continues to flash.  It's not detected as a keyboard and I can't type.

Running hid_listen and displaying info. while in USB mode shows:

----- RN-42 info -----
protocol: LUFA
force_usb: 0
rn42: OFF
rn42_autoconnecting(): 1
config_mode: 0
USB State: Configured
battery: FULL
RemoteWakeupEnabled: 1
VBUS: 1
uptime: 00 00:11:13

If I flip the switch to Bluetooth, I then see:

----- RN-42 info -----
protocol: RN-42
force_usb: 0
rn42: ON
rn42_autoconnecting(): 1
config_mode: 0
USB State: Configured
battery: FULL
RemoteWakeupEnabled: 1
VBUS: 1
uptime: 00 00:12:07

I've tried forcing pairing but this hasn't worked either.  FWIW the output from hid_listen when I do that is:

Entering config mode ...
CMD
Ver 6.15 04/26/2013
(c) Roving Networks
ECHO ON
SR,Z
AOK
R,1
Reboot!
Exiting config mode ...

Finally, version information is:

- Version -
DESC: t.m.k. keyboard firmware for HHKB mod
VID: 0xFEED(t.m.k.) PID: 0x4242(HHKB mod) VER: 0x0104
BUILD: 4190571-dirty (07:55:51 Oct 28 2017)
OPTIONS: LUFA MOUSEKEY EXTRAKEY CONSOLE COMMAND KEYMAP_SECTION 4096
GCC: 4.9.2 AVR-LIBC: 1.8.0svn AVR_ARCH: avr5

At this point I'm reaching the conclusion that I need to flash the firmware, but to be honest I thought BT mode would work as shipped.  What am I missing here?
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 December 2017, 16:07:40 by cheynestoking »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #480 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 17:08:25 »

I don't have an antenna for my bluetooth, it's weird that it doesn't work. Went as far as to reinstall windows to see if that would fix it but it didn't. I tried method one and for some reason I lose NKRO. It's fine, sucks I can't have NKRO but at least I can program it.

According its manual you should get two antennas with motherboard, install them for wifi and bluetooth refering to page 27. I don't know if bluetooth works without the antenna but you better install it.
Are other bluetooth devices working without the antenna?

You can get manual for X99A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM(this is your board right?), if you don't have.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X99A-XPOWER-GAMING-TITANIUM.html#down-manual
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 December 2017, 17:24:41 by hasu »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #481 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 17:22:01 »
Super excited to have received my replacement (BT) controller for my HHKB Pro 2 today!  Buuuut, Bluetooth doesn't seem to work correctly.  I installed the device fine, USB mode works OK (I'm typing this post on it!), and it's fully charged.  Flipping the switch for Bluetooth mode results in a flashing red LED, but it's discovered as a RNBT-786D and I can't seem to get either macOS or Windows 10 to successfully pair.  Even when the operating system says it's paired, the light continues to flash.  It's not detected as a keyboard and I can't type.

Oh, sorry for this.
It seems the controler was shipped before bluetooth module was initialized properly, unless the module goes bad for some reason.

Could you try initialize process? After this you will find "TmkBT-786D" instead of "RNBT-786D" and it should work as expected.

RN42 initialize
You can initialize module when you are in trouble. But you should tarke care to prevent module from being cofigured incompletely or wrongly. Take the following steps.

0. Turn BT swich off and unplug USB cable.
1. open hid_listen. You can do without it but I recommend.
2. Plug USB cable and wait for keyboard to startup.
3. Press key combo LShift+RShift+ScrollLock(Fn+O).
4. Turn BT switch on. You will see output below on hid_listen.
5. Do not touch keyobard until the command completes or for twenty seconds.

Now module is configured with default setting and in pairing mode. You may need extra power cycle for pairing, try BT switch off and on.

Output on hid_listen from initialize command.
Entering config mode ...
CMD
Ver 6.15 04/26/2013
(c) Roving Networks
ECHO ON
SF,1
AOK
S-,TmkBT
AOK
SS,Keyboard/Mouse
AOK
SM,4
AOK
SW,8000
AOK
S~,6
AOK
SH,003C
AOK
SY,FFF4
AOK
R,1
Reboot!
Exiting config mode ...

Offline tragedyfoundus

« Reply #482 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 17:32:25 »

According its manual you should get two antennas with motherboard, install them for wifi and bluetooth refering to page 27. I don't know if bluetooth works without the antenna but you better install it.

You can get manual for X99A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM(this is your board right?), if you don't have.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X99A-XPOWER-GAMING-TITANIUM.html#down-manual

I assumed the antennas were just for the wifi. I just hooked them up and my keyboard still wasn't detected over bluetooth. And yes, all other devices work without the antennas. I can't wrap my head around why it doesn't work. All my drivers are up to date and everything too.

Offline cheynestoking

• dischord.org
« Reply #483 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 17:32:55 »

Oh, sorry for this.
It seems the controler was shipped before bluetooth module was initialized properly, unless the module goes bad for some reason.

Could you try initialize process? After this you will find "TmkBT-786D" instead of "RNBT-786D" and it should work as expected.

Haha, while waiting for a reply I poked around the relevant bits of code and stumbled across this: https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/blob/master/keyboard/hhkb/rn42/RN42.txt which nailed the problem and the fix which you described!  So yes, having done that it's now working perfectly - I'm still typing on my modified keyboard, only this time it's free of cables and via the wonder of Bluetooth!

Thanks again :D ❤️

Offline tragedyfoundus

« Reply #484 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 17:44:21 »

Oh, sorry for this.

Haha, while waiting for a reply I poked around the relevant bits of code and stumbled across this: https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/blob/master/keyboard/hhkb/rn42/RN42.txt which nailed the problem and the fix which you described!  So yes, having done that it's now working perfectly - I'm still typing on my modified keyboard, only this time it's free of cables and via the wonder of Bluetooth!

Thanks again :D ❤️

Lucky. :( I can't get my bluetooth to work nor my NKRO. Pretty frustrating to say the least.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #485 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 17:51:17 »
I assumed the antennas were just for the wifi. I just hooked them up and my keyboard still wasn't detected over bluetooth. And yes, all other devices work without the antennas. I can't wrap my head around why it doesn't work. All my drivers are up to date and everything too.

I see, your pc hardware seems to be ok.

I'm not sure but initializing bluetooth module may work.

1) Download default firmware from keymap editor and flash it, first.
http://www.tmk-kbd.com/tmk_keyboard/editor/unimap/?hhkb_rn42

2) Initialize bluetooth module on controller as this post describe.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=71517.msg2530988#msg2530988
you can downlade 'hid_listen' here: https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/hid_listen.html

After this could you check if it works with your desktop and laptop.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #486 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 18:03:39 »

If your motherboard is 'X99A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM' it should have two antenna connectors on back panel. Isn't this yours?
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X99A-XPOWER-GAMING-TITANIUM.html
https://asset.msi.com/global/picture/image/feature/mb/RWD_Img/X99/Titanium/Connectivity_Xpower.png

The controller uses low Transmit power for bluetooth to save power,  so i worry about the antenna.

what if you place keyboard very near the motherboard?
And try turn off wifi, if you are using 2.4GHz wifi it may interfere with bluetooth.

Offline tragedyfoundus

« Reply #487 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 18:05:50 »

I see, your pc hardware seems to be ok.

I'm not sure but initializing bluetooth module may work.

1) Download default firmware from keymap editor and flash it, first.
http://www.tmk-kbd.com/tmk_keyboard/editor/unimap/?hhkb_rn42

2) Initialize bluetooth module on controller as this post describe.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=71517.msg2530988#msg2530988
you can downlade 'hid_listen' here: https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/hid_listen.html

After this could you check if it works with your desktop and laptop.

Alright, I ran hid_listen and it did its job but my desktop still won't discover it but the laptop does just fine.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 December 2017, 18:21:36 by tragedyfoundus »

Offline tragedyfoundus

« Reply #488 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 18:08:14 »

If your motherboard is 'X99A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM' it should have two antenna connectors on back panel. Isn't this yours?
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X99A-XPOWER-GAMING-TITANIUM.html
https://asset.msi.com/global/picture/image/feature/mb/RWD_Img/X99/Titanium/Connectivity_Xpower.png

The controller uses low Transmit power for bluetooth to save power,  so i worry about the antenna.

what if you place keyboard very near the motherboard?
And try turn off wifi, if you are using 2.4GHz wifi it may interfere with bluetooth.

Yes that is my motherboard. I've already tried placing the keyboard super close but it still doesn't work. :( Even with the antennas installed and my wifi off. I always have wifi off because I use LAN.

Offline devoi

« Reply #489 on: Mon, 15 January 2018, 19:07:10 »
any thought / possibility of making a main-board modification to replace whatever resistor the TP1684 uses with a digipot, to allow for variable lift actuation? that would be a really interesting project, seeing as the controller board does have a few open I/O ports.

Offline riktors

« Reply #490 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 22:00:36 »
So I have the bluetooth version of the controller. Board shows 2017/06 Rev. N. At first everything was working great after getting my keymap done and the controller flashed. Now however when I use the keyboard USB it misses key presses and/or rapidly presses the key. So say I'm backspacing a number of characters, sometime it will just miss a press and other times it will hang up for a second then do say maybe 20 backspaces almost instantly. The strange part is this only happens in USB mode when I take the board to work every day and use it bluetooth it works perfectly. Shows the same issues on that work machine though in USB mode (different cable as well) so it doesn't look like it is just a problem with my home machine. I've tried flashing the board again several times but nothing seems to have worked. Any thoughts on what might be happening here/options to fix it?

Thanks!

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #491 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 22:37:17 »
So I have the bluetooth version of the controller. Board shows 2017/06 Rev. N. At first everything was working great after getting my keymap done and the controller flashed. Now however when I use the keyboard USB it misses key presses and/or rapidly presses the key. So say I'm backspacing a number of characters, sometime it will just miss a press and other times it will hang up for a second then do say maybe 20 backspaces almost instantly. The strange part is this only happens in USB mode when I take the board to work every day and use it bluetooth it works perfectly. Shows the same issues on that work machine though in USB mode (different cable as well) so it doesn't look like it is just a problem with my home machine. I've tried flashing the board again several times but nothing seems to have worked. Any thoughts on what might be happening here/options to fix it?

Thanks!

Hi,
I don't have idea why the problem appear only on USB, so far. The porblem happens on specific keys or random keys?

FIrst, to clear problem and narrow uncertainties, download default firmware from keymap editor without editing keymap and flash it before test.

And I would make sure connectors between controller pcb and keyswitch board mate each other firmly again.

Did you do some mod on keyswiches, such as lubrication, silencing or slider swap? If so you have to take apart and check conical ring placement.

Offline riktors

« Reply #492 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 22:48:55 »

Thanks!

Hi,
I don't have idea why the problem appear only on USB, so far. The porblem happens on specific keys or random keys?

FIrst, to clear problem and narrow uncertainties, download default firmware from keymap editor without editing keymap and flash it before test.

And I would make sure connectors between controller pcb and keyswitch board mate each other firmly again.

Did you do some mod on keyswiches, such as lubrication, silencing or slider swap? If so you have to take apart and check conical ring placement.

Thanks for the quick reply! I pulled down the default hex file from the online keymap editor and it seems to have cleared up the problem. Not sure what I got wrong on one I have from the TMK source but seems like it is definitely from that. I was able to make my edits in the online editor and have everything working still so I'll just stick to that in the future. Thank you very much for the help.

Offline flac.head

« Reply #493 on: Sun, 04 February 2018, 14:17:22 »
Does anyone know how to access the backslash key in UK layout?

BSLS gives me # and I cannot find backslash on any other key :/

Thanks! :)

EDIT: Found it!     NUBS     Non-US BackSlash :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 February 2018, 15:23:27 by flac.head »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #494 on: Sun, 04 February 2018, 17:57:10 »
Does anyone know how to access the backslash key in UK layout?

BSLS gives me # and I cannot find backslash on any other key :/

Thanks! :)

EDIT: Found it!     NUBS     Non-US BackSlash :)

You already answered yourself :D but I added this entry on wiki for future reference.
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/wiki/FAQ-Keymap#iso-or-international-keys

According to the spec NUHS is expected to be used instead of BSLS but either seems to work.

Offline qq

• A daydreamer of possibilities
« Reply #495 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 03:55:30 »
menuhin,
Assuming you are talking about original controllers.
Yes, Pro1 and JP worked with iPad while Pro2 didn't at some point. I can remember some people said so a few years ago. I don't know about recent iPad/iOS.

Hi Hasu,

I am asking also if the Hasu Controller for HHKB Pro1 to replace its original controller will be running at a Watt that allow its to just plug in an iPad / iPad mini and work. :)

Also I can remember some users said USB Pro1/Pro2/JP Alt controller worked with iPad. I don't know about Bluetooth Alt controller.

The Bluetooth controller works flawlessly with my iPhone 7, so I assume it does not have any issue with other iOS devices

Offline raoulk

« Reply #496 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 02:56:59 »
Hello!
I have been scouring both the github and here on GH (outside of the normal google-fu) but I cannot seem to find a solution to my problem.

I am using my HHKB with the Hasu Controller (usb) and looking to have it perform the same functions as my typecover for my SP4.
Specifically, controlling the screen brightness. Now I can't seem to find a list, or guide for that matter, on how to send such hardware signals via the controller. And how I'd have to edit the keymap to perform that function.

Even just pointing me in the right direction would be much appreciated.
Best regards,
Raoul
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 March 2018, 03:09:41 by raoulk »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #497 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 08:53:59 »
What is typecover and SP4?
And what is your OS and computer hardware?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #498 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 05:04:31 »
Updated firmware for Bluetooth controller.
With this new firmware it does NKRO in USB mode by default now, still 6KRO in Bluetooth.
No other improvents at all. If you have no problem with 6KRO you don't have to update. This update is not for USB controller.

The firmware is available from Keymap Editor or github repo.
http://www.tmk-kbd.com/tmk_keyboard/editor/
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/tree/master/keyboard/hhkb

Check this commit for detail.
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/commit/f2761c9565e76706853a4a0b148c8e93369e49e5

Thanks

Offline enchong

« Reply #499 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 20:41:49 »
Hi, I would like to buy a hasu bluetooth controller for my HHKB Pro2. O really don't know how this works though. I'm new in the forum.