Author Topic: [eBay] PENUMBRA (Solarized) SA Key Cap Set - Base Set + Number Pad - Canada/U.S.  (Read 7563 times)

Offline Tuntematon

Ships to: Canada & U.S.

AUCTION ENDS on September 26

For your convenience, auction page links for U.S. and Canadian sites. Visit for details:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121764773093?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/121764773093?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Thanks for looking!

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
/droooooooooooooooooooooool
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 September 2015, 12:20:01 by dgneo »

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
Is keycap sets on ebay a thing now?
Very busy with studies atm.

Online HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator

I only sold mine on eBay because it's for charity, but there have been a few auctions in the past.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"

It is if you're one of those people all about maximizing profit.  Of course, you can sell on mechmarket for the same result.

Offline Tuntematon

It is if you're one of those people all about maximizing profit.  Of course, you can sell on mechmarket for the same result.

I have gotten the sense here that there are some unwritten commandments, among them: Thou shalt never ever make a profit on keyboard gear, ever. I guess I'm a sinner. I have no idea what exactly the market is for this set so to auction it went, with a starting bid slightly below my break-even point. So there you have it. 100% of the proceeds from this sale will go towards paying bills and buying more keyboard stuff!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
The market for the set is what it sold for at group buy price, maybe a hair more, according to some people, if it's in pristine condition.  If you have any questions about pricing, the price check thread in classifieds is specifically for finding out what something is worth.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com

I have gotten the sense here that there are some unwritten commandments, among them: Thou shalt never ever make a profit on keyboard gear, ever. I guess I'm a sinner. I have no idea what exactly the market is for this set so to auction it went, with a starting bid slightly below my break-even point. So there you have it. 100% of the proceeds from this sale will go towards paying bills and buying more keyboard stuff!

Thing is, you could put it up for sale inside the community via classifieds and still made a small % profit from it.

When you have GB financed keyset (like penumbra), people are going to get touchy when you start a bidding war to maximize your own personal profits (exactly what eBay is for).

Whatever spin you put on it ("its to pay bills") they money is coming from the pockets of fellow enthusiast and that isn't going to met with open arms on an enthusiasts forum, is it?  :rolleyes:

Offline saturnotaku

When you have GB financed keyset (like penumbra), people are going to get touchy when you start a bidding war to maximize your own personal profits (exactly what eBay is for).

Whatever spin you put on it ("its to pay bills") they money is coming from the pockets of fellow enthusiast and that isn't going to met with open arms on an enthusiasts forum, is it?  :rolleyes:

Whether someone is willing to pay $200, $300, $500, whatever, that is between the buyer and seller. Anyone who gets "touchy" about this needs to get a freaking life.

Online HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator

Whether someone is willing to pay $200, $300, $500, whatever, that is between the buyer and seller. Anyone who gets "touchy" about this needs to get a freaking life.

Meh.  It's all a matter of perspective. 

Would you get mad if you sold a rare item to a friend at cost and they flipped it for profit?  Probably.

Some people view geekhack as a close-knit community of friends where you don't flip things for profit.  Some people view it as a site to acquire goods and maybe have an occasional pleasant conversation.  People have different expectations about what's acceptable behavior, and that's fine.

Offline atectatifern

Once Bunny gets R2 going, it will kill the profiteering happening here.

Offline shrubkeys

Whatever spin you put on it ("its to pay bills") they money is coming from the pockets of fellow enthusiast and that isn't going to met with open arms on an enthusiasts forum, is it?  ::)

Meh.  It's all a matter of perspective. 

Would you get mad if you sold a rare item to a friend at cost and they flipped it for profit?  Probably.

Some people view geekhack as a close-knit community of friends where you don't flip things for profit.  Some people view it as a site to acquire goods and maybe have an occasional pleasant conversation.  People have different expectations about what's acceptable behavior, and that's fine.

That was excellently put.

Offline andCoffee

Just out of curiosity, if people are generally upset about auctions, why have a "Member Auction Links" section of the site?

Online HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
Just out of curiosity, if people are generally upset about auctions, why have a "Member Auction Links" section of the site?

Well I'd guess that maybe the members opposing auctions might not want a member auction link subforum.  We don't all agree on everything, I assure you of that.  ;)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati

Well I'd guess that maybe the members opposing auctions might not want a member auction link subforum.  We don't all agree on everything, I assure you of that.  ;)

And even if GH said "no auctions whatsoever" it's inevitable that people are going to put stuff up anyway. This is the best solution to at least keep the auctions off of GH and totally in the hands of 3rd parties.
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline saturnotaku

Yes, it is a matter of perspective. Even if I did consider people in an online community friends (and no offense, but I don't), I engaged in a legitimate transaction of fair value to myself and the individual who purchased the item. If they want to sell it later and make some money, so be it. There are far, far worse things to get butthurt over.

Offline linkshine

• * Destiny Supporter
  • If you wanna b my lover, u gotta get w/ my friends

Yes, it is a matter of perspective. Even if I did consider people in an online community friends (and no offense, but I don't), I engaged in a legitimate transaction of fair value to myself and the individual who purchased the item. If they want to sell it later and make some money, so be it. There are far, far worse things to get butthurt over.

I get what you're saying, but I don't think you can separate "intent" from the action, not everything's black and white. People love to glaze over intent and motive like it shouldn't be a factor.  If you're buying keycaps just because you've discovered there's a plethora of "buy low sell high" opportunity here, then I have no issue with passionate, community minded, friendly people being "butthurt".  You're coming into a wonderful society and manipulating it only for personal gain, taking a cap away from someone who would cherish it, and then price gouging the crap out of it. That's not cool.

Offline saturnotaku

You're coming into a wonderful society and manipulating it only for personal gain, taking a cap away from someone who would cherish it, and then price gouging the crap out of it.

Given that the starting price of this auction was $125, your irritation is misplaced.

Offline linkshine

• * Destiny Supporter
  • If you wanna b my lover, u gotta get w/ my friends
You're coming into a wonderful society and manipulating it only for personal gain, taking a cap away from someone who would cherish it, and then price gouging the crap out of it.

Given that the starting price of this auction was $125, your irritation is misplaced.

Well one, the starting price isn't the reserve price.. Two, I never said I was irritated- but I don't blame anyone who would be, the irritation is 100% justified. It's clearly a **** move if you're just buying to flip, that's not even debatable imo.
It DOES irritate me when people do that, though these last 2 penumbra ebay auctions have not specifically. I'm much less sensitive with these sets with a round 2 than I am with sculpted caps.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 October 2015, 11:01:41 by linkshine »

Offline Glissant