Author Topic: [GB] Think6.5° | 65% Custom Keyboard (completed)  (Read 251323 times)

Offline kolyz

Re: [GB] Think6.5° (Launch 4/13)
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 11 April 2019, 08:45:53 »
When is the build stream going to be uploaded to youtube?

Hey the build stream is not archived it seems. I have done a few typing tests and will do a few more. So far it's very nice. My findings:

1. Holy Panda sound is being amplified and it's very thocky. Therefore, if you plan to use it in an open office environment, be warned that your colleague may shoot you.
2. Kaihua Cream sound is less high pitched as in another alu plate. I think I don't like the sound that much.
3. Gateron linear (I used the recently released Gateron mint switch) achieves a better result than Kaihua Creams.
4. Lubed Retooled blacks (63.5g SPRiT springs) with GMK caps achieve the best (in my opinion), it's a heavenly sound and feeling to me.
5. PC plates, even at 4.5mm, are quite flexible, and it is not harsh bottoming out (at all).
6. This German PC case is much more robust than I thought. I have probably opened and screwed back 5 times today already, still intact no stripped screw threads YET. But of course, be careful if you do buy a PC version, I am sure you can still strip it if you use maximum force.

Unfortunately, I just broke my finger earlier today but will slowly upload some videos. It took me a while to type the above...
Thanks a lot for the detailed answer regarding the typing experience with different switches! I was definitely planning on using holy pandas with this but it will be at home. If it gets too loud, maybe ill throw in some tealios or inks instead  ;D

Offline MOON

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 11 April 2019, 10:54:38 »
I feel like the amplification is going to make the board fun to type on. Def throwing pandas in this bad boy.

Have you guys put Red Pandas in there? Curious how those fat boys would look against the PC.

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 11 April 2019, 11:59:08 »
I found the badge color pic in the PC form very hard to see. Can you add a pic with no plastic case?
Thanks.

Offline Ashardalon

• Ashkeebs
    • Ashkeebs Lubing Service & Shop
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 11 April 2019, 12:03:32 »
Really sad that I'm pretty much out of funds right now as I'd love to get that teal aluminium, it looks beautiful!

Offline voxkey

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 11 April 2019, 12:35:01 »
Yikes! Hope the finger heals quickly. We’re gonna need that story, though :)

Would love similar information on the alu version and let us know when the build stream is up, please.  Thanks!

Thanks! The Alu version proto is coming out soon, but I figure it won't be too much of a surprise as many have used M60A and Doro, and upcoming Koyu uses a similar plate design. M60a is widely accepted, works great especially with linear switches. One difference is that the bottom piece of Think6.5 is much thicker than the above-mentioned boards, should make it sound more solid (very little hollow space).

Also, after using the PC version for a bit, I think most likely mixing alu and pc should work fine and will be pretty sick, something I am keen to test out.

Would it be possible to buy an extra PC case bottom piece with an alu version? I have already settled for an alu board this round, but would be interested in trying to mix it with a PC case underside to allow for underglow to work.
Otherwise I'll wait and hope for a future Bluetooth version of Think6.5 with a frosted PC case, maybe slightly higher profile to accommodate a beefy battery to allow for many hours of underglow goodness on the couch. This time I'd buy a badge version as it would provide a convenient surface for the thumb when you grab and move the board around. A Bluetooth version of this board would be my endgame for use on the couch with my HTPC. A man can dream!

To keep things simple, separate tops and bottoms won't be offered. While oldcat is pretty sure PC and Alu tops/bottoms would line up correctly, there is always a chance they won't.

You could always grab two though for some mix and match action :)

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 11 April 2019, 16:07:07 »
I found the badge color pic in the PC form very hard to see. Can you add a pic with no plastic case?
Thanks.

Updated a few badge pictures.

Offline Zurg Eon

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 11 April 2019, 17:49:46 »
Those new pictures of the black PC board and with the translucent keycaps look amazing. I would like to sincerely thank everyone involved in this project. It brings me joy.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 11 April 2019, 18:16:17 »
Those new pictures of the black PC board and with the translucent keycaps look amazing. I would like to sincerely thank everyone involved in this project. It brings me joy.

Thanks brother, glad you like the new pictures!

I used to be a professional photographer when I was in graduate school. Quit that hobby and picked up keebs. Now I just use iPhone and it works quite ok with still images.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 11 April 2019, 18:19:01 »
For those of you confused about the lighting sources. There has been a few improvements:

1. 4XRGB on ESC stays as is, it uses the same channel as underglow
2. Underglow increased from 1 row of 8 to two rows of 7 each (14 total)
3. The light strip diffuser part, 3 hotswap LEDs will be separately controllable (from underglow) as you activate/deactivate a backlighting layer. So you will be able to turn the light on and off without pushing the capslock key. In the prototype, it is a indicator light but I realized how little I actually use capslock. Never used other indicator keys.

Offline TheMnBN

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 11 April 2019, 19:50:16 »
I think someone has mentioned this in the IC thread but I also think that communication should be done only in this GB thread and locking the IC.

Offline gl0w

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 11 April 2019, 23:24:51 »
This is kind of a dumb question but do the brass weights stay situated in the case only from friction? Never the less I'm 100% joining this GB.   ^-^ ^-^ ^-^

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 00:12:42 »
This is kind of a dumb question but do the brass weights stay situated in the case only from friction? Never the less I'm 100% joining this GB.   ^-^ ^-^ ^-^

2 M3 screws fix it to the bottom case.

Offline lbaron

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 08:00:58 »
Have you thought about using plastic screws for the PC board (I might even buy some from local hardware store)? I feel plastic threads with yield long before PC threads would strip due to over tightening.

Offline kolyz

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 08:38:26 »
Not quite sure which shipping company to use, what is the difference between the two?

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 09:43:36 »
Have you thought about using plastic screws for the PC board (I might even buy some from local hardware store)? I feel plastic threads with yield long before PC threads would strip due to over tightening.

I did try nylon and pc screws. I feel they are susceptible to being broken. That said I managed not to strip any threads after opening the case 6-7 times after I received it. Just need some caution not to overtighten I guess. I feel screws probably won’t help much if you apply too much force, the key is really be aware of it and do not apply too much force.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 09:45:48 »
Not quite sure which shipping company to use, what is the difference between the two?

I have not used DHL to ship yet. I did search online and it’s more expensive (but some say their service to some countries is better) if you do plan to select DHL please do some research.

We will use SF Express as the default. For North America and Asia I have some experience and it’s pretty good.

Offline kolyz

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 09:47:09 »

I have not used DHL to ship yet. I did search online and it’s more expensive (but some say their service to some countries is better) if you do plan to select DHL please do some research.

We will use SF Express as the default. For North America and Asia I have some experience and it’s pretty good.
Good to know! How much do you estimate the package might weight so that I can estimate shipping to me? :)

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 10:11:02 »

Good to know! How much do you estimate the package might weight so that I can estimate shipping to me? :)

PC board assembled is 1KG. I think with box, packaging and everything 2kg is quite safe. Aluminum budget for 2.5kg.

Offline kolyz

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 12:22:54 »

PC board assembled is 1KG. I think with box, packaging and everything 2kg is quite safe. Aluminum budget for 2.5kg.
thanks a lot man, you're the best <3

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 21:20:01 »

thanks a lot man, you're the best <3

Thanks for the kind words!

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Re: [GB] Think6.5° (Full Brass Raffle 4/13; PC/Aluminum GB starts 4/14)
« Reply #70 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 01:29:07 »
Just confirmed with Potter that all default brass badges and weights will receive 18K Gold PVD.

Full brass, if you choose gold color, full surface will be treated with 18K gold PVD

Offline ian13

« Reply #71 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 03:47:52 »
When is the build stream going to be uploaded to youtube?

Hey the build stream is not archived it seems. I have done a few typing tests and will do a few more. So far it's very nice. My findings:

2. Kaihua Cream sound is less high pitched as in another alu plate. I think I don't like the sound that much.
3. Gateron linear (I used the recently released Gateron mint switch) achieves a better result than Kaihua Creams.

Unfortunately, I just broke my finger earlier today but will slowly upload some videos. It took me a while to type the above...

Oh no,I was planning to put cream switches on this. Is it really that bad? You said that it doesn't sound high pitched, which is good IMO, but what made you dislike the sound??

Offline cucgach

« Reply #72 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 04:22:37 »
Just confirmed with Potter that all default brass badges and weights will receive 18K Gold PVD.

Full brass, if you choose gold color, full surface will be treated with 18K gold PVD

that's .. Dubai :))) so exciting to join this GB.
Current: Filco TKL Majestouch | TX60 antique brass | NIU40 silver | H360 burgundy | tr.mk wooden 60 | Imperial Hue 60 | Tofu 65 silver | Tofu WKL navy | Gergo Kit: black PCB | Space65 gray/silver | VN66 Black
Future: none
Past: TinaC HHKB gray | TX84Se titan gray | Leopold 660M white | GSX96 R2 purple | Rama M60-A lake | 0.01 Z70 silver | E7-V1 MAO | Rama M6-A | TMO50 green/poly | HB85 black/gray | TX108se titan gray | Typewriter68 ceramic white | Think6.5 frost poly

Offline Bhk1004

« Reply #73 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 09:02:18 »
Just a heads up, brass raffle is live. Please get your entry in if you are interested!

Offline Full

« Reply #74 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 09:03:46 »
I had my alarm on and set in my entry on the minute.. since this is the ultimate and PERFECT keyboard for my setup, I am a bit curious if someone can confirm my entry?

Crossing all fingers and toes :)

Kind regards,
Asle
Hi!

Offline booleanjulien

« Reply #75 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 09:20:24 »
Will the compatible solder PCB work with the ANSI hotswap integrated plate?

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #76 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 09:27:04 »
Will the compatible solder PCB work with the ANSI hotswap integrated plate?

Yes

Offline booleanjulien

« Reply #77 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 10:44:57 »
Would it be possible to install the switch 4xLED in additional switch locations for an extra charge?

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #78 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 11:42:28 »
Would it be possible to install the switch 4xLED in additional switch locations for an extra charge?

Hello, you might be able to purchase 4XRGB kit from Scott Wei. It will need to be soldered using wires to the GOV. Sorry we do not offer soldering service...

Offline Bhk1004

« Reply #79 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 17:07:29 »
Less than 4 hours left on brass raffle guys! Want to make sure everyone who wanted in gets in

Offline mrboli

« Reply #80 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 20:38:56 »
There is no raffle to give away a board / case right (just switches / reduce prices / badges / weights)?
Specifically, no full-brass case / board giveaway.
KBD67 Zealios V2 65g | HHKB Pro 2 | Filco TKL MX Black | Razer BlackWidow

Offline Bhk1004

« Reply #81 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 20:56:19 »
There is no raffle to give away a board / case right (just switches / reduce prices / badges / weights)?
Specifically, no full-brass case / board giveaway.

these is no full keyboard give away.

Offline Bhk1004

« Reply #82 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 20:56:40 »
Brass raffle is closed!!!

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #83 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 21:38:09 »
streaming brass raffle on Instagram live in a few mins.

Offline ProlificPanda

« Reply #84 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 23:01:23 »
On the hot swap PCB, is there an option for split backspace if we desolder the socket?

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #85 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 23:03:11 »
On the hot swap PCB, is there an option for split backspace if we desolder the socket?

Sorry hotswap is only compatible with ANSI with stepped caps support ...

Offline ProlificPanda

« Reply #86 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 23:06:01 »

No worries; thanks for the quick answer. Guess an extra PCB it is!

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #87 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 23:09:24 »

No worries; thanks for the quick answer. Guess an extra PCB it is!

One cool feature. The PCB can perfectly sit against the plate, for the non-hotswap pcb, you can screw the pcb to the plate before soldering. It will make the soldering easier and more accurate.

Offline TheMnBN

« Reply #88 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 07:31:30 »
I just want to confirm that the links to the GB forms won't be changed and that as long as I submit the form after the designated start  time, I will have a valid entry. Is there a confirmation for placing an order successfully? TIA

Offline Bhk1004

« Reply #89 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 09:03:26 »
I just want to confirm that the links to the GB forms won't be changed and that as long as I submit the form after the designated start  time, I will have a valid entry. Is there a confirmation for placing an order successfully? TIA

Correct on the forms. Not sure if there will be confirmation.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #90 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 10:44:09 »

Hey yes, as long as you submit between 6:50PM tonight PT time
And I will share and update the valid entry list in a google spreadsheet

Offline cucgach

« Reply #91 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 11:18:57 »
is this the correct time and date for PC entry?

217246-0
Current: Filco TKL Majestouch | TX60 antique brass | NIU40 silver | H360 burgundy | tr.mk wooden 60 | Imperial Hue 60 | Tofu 65 silver | Tofu WKL navy | Gergo Kit: black PCB | Space65 gray/silver | VN66 Black
Future: none
Past: TinaC HHKB gray | TX84Se titan gray | Leopold 660M white | GSX96 R2 purple | Rama M60-A lake | 0.01 Z70 silver | E7-V1 MAO | Rama M6-A | TMO50 green/poly | HB85 black/gray | TX108se titan gray | Typewriter68 ceramic white | Think6.5 frost poly

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #92 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 11:38:00 »
All: pls note that all forms submitted prior to 6:50 pm pacific time will be cleared!
Feel free to prefill and submit after GB open time. Thanks!

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 12:12:34 »
To calculate estimated shipping fees, please use “Guangzhou, China” as the originating city, and budget 2kg for PC package and 2.5kg for the aluminum package

Offline booleanjulien

« Reply #94 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 12:19:19 »
Will unpaid brass invoices be re-raffled?

Offline maximize

« Reply #95 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 12:29:31 »
Anyone else in the Midwest USA getting something like $180 shipped through DHL, versus $30 through SF Express?

Offline ninjacore

« Reply #96 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 13:38:40 »
Anyone else in the Midwest USA getting something like $180 shipped through DHL, versus $30 through SF Express?
Haven't checked yet, but good to hear at least one option is only $30 :shrug:

Offline Zurg Eon

« Reply #97 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 14:05:31 »
To send 2,5 kg to Norway I got 565 CNY ($85 USD) through SF Express and a whopping $254.95 through DHL.

Offline Wojtko

« Reply #98 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 14:14:53 »
To send 2,5 kg to Norway I got 565 CNY ($85 USD) through SF Express and a whopping $254.95 through DHL.
Guy from Poland here,
I feel you :/

Unfortunately, I must skip this beauty :c

Offline Bhk1004

« Reply #99 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 14:45:58 »
Will unpaid brass invoices be re-raffled?

Unpaid will go fcfs based on raffle entry order.