Author Topic: What makes Filco so good?  (Read 20932 times)

Offline iri

Re: What makes Filco so good?
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 30 December 2012, 15:34:34 »
unfair price.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline file_id

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 30 December 2012, 16:29:14 »
Filco build is nice except for the keycaps and the non detachable cable. The one thing that puts the QFR on top for me though is the media keys.
DS3 White YOTS (Blue)|Poker 2 (Blue,Clear)|QFR Rapid-i TKL (Brown,Blue)|QFR Rapid TKL (Blue,Red,Brown)|KBP V60 (Blue,Clear,Matias Click)|Code TKL Clear|Filco MJ2 TKL (Blue)|Filco MJ2 Ninja Beige TKL (Brown)|Novatouch

Offline sammsorensen

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 30 December 2012, 20:37:21 »
aesthetics, weight (heavy pcb), build quality.
Filco MJ2 TKL brown

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 05:49:21 »
When I hear people say build quality I hear "I have no idea"

Try to be more specific than just "I like it"
SmallFry! <3

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 01:35:03 »
When I hear people say build quality I hear "I have no idea"

Try to be more specific than just "I like it"

"Build quality" means free from defects in materials, design, or workmanship such as wobbling keyboard, breaking cable connectors, failing ICs, etc.

Offline tauburn

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 20:23:57 »
Filco is pretty overpriced if you ask me. It is similar to the Das, but looks better and costs more and way more than Leopold. Though I guess Leopold  doesn't have as much advertisement and brand name.

honestly the extra bulky plastic on the das and shiny finish is bad enough that it justifies the price of a filco.

Offline bisl

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 20:44:55 »
"Build quality" means free from defects in materials, design, or workmanship such as wobbling keyboard, breaking cable connectors, failing ICs, etc.

Also, freedom from reverberation on impact from typing. I find my filco to be comparatively silent compared to the das in that respect. I find myself calling this "build quality" when people ask me why I have it.

Offline Nunez

• BACK!
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 21:02:26 »
I find Filco to be just better quality.

Maybe not comparable to Leopold, but I can get a TKL filco for $139 AUD and a Leopold FC700R for $120. I find the $19 increase is well worth it considering the lack of hassle in getting new keycaps, and the pretty logo on the front not to mention it's costar.
I miss Ripster :(
HHKB Pro 2 || KBC Poker || Filco MJ2

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #58 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 21:07:06 »

Also, freedom from reverberation on impact from typing. I find my filco to be comparatively silent compared to the das in that respect. I find myself calling this "build quality" when people ask me why I have it.

aluminum case really helps with the reverberations too.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 22:33:37 »

A towel or a giant mouse pad under keyboard helps too, no joke.

Though I find it odd that people list "non-detachable cable" as a negative, in my opinion it's s plus because it will have a lower chance to break.  I honestly haven't heard anyone break the Filco cable yet.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 02:45:36 »
I like them. I get to switch my kb without having to go behind my tower.
SmallFry! <3

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 02:50:27 »

A towel or a giant mouse pad under keyboard helps too, no joke.

Though I find it odd that people list "non-detachable cable" as a negative, in my opinion it's s plus because it will have a lower chance to break.  I honestly haven't heard anyone break the Filco cable yet.

the towel and mousepad alone doesn't feel anything like a heavy metal case... it's spongy vs brick wall... I'm not saying one's better, but that's the difference.

Offline bisl

« Reply #62 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 11:07:17 »
I like them. I get to switch my kb without having to go behind my tower.

For this reason, I wish my stock Filco had a detachable cable.