Author Topic: (GB)HYPERFUSE GMK (currently shipping)  (Read 9761567 times)

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
Re: (GB)HYPERFUSE GMK (orders closed)
« Reply #2700 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 12:30:56 »
When sets start going out, will CONUS orders ship first?

Just wondering how much of a chance there is for me to get my order (w/ Miami & Hack'd) before I move back to school on the 22nd.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #2701 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 12:50:51 »

Just wondering how much of a chance there is for me to get my order (w/ Miami & Hack'd) before I move back to school on the 22nd.
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline Willyc277

« Reply #2702 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 13:06:08 »
http://imgur.com/a/szyI6

gallery of the finished unit coming soon

"It has an insert to hold more keys."

"And I can remove it to make room for my hands when the keys run low."

Cody's deep in the game. This is some next level s***

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #2703 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 13:19:33 »

Lol I know right!  You can tell he has invested some serious time planning his strategy.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2704 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 13:22:54 »
The shelve is nice. I'm wondering how you could double check that there was a key of each type in completed set? Measure the weight? They should all be the same right?

I'm just thinking, like flat pack furniture, you finish and there is a left over key and you don't know where it goes   :eek:

If I had a scale accurate enough I could, but I'm sure once I'm in the rhythm I'll be fairly accurate. Even if anybody is missing something I will send it out asap via bubble mailers.

I might also place each key on a poster to ensure I have everyone included as well.

You should get your sets before then. Thanks for ordering all 3. <3

Hahaha. I am going deeper... :D

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #2705 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 13:58:46 »
The shelve is nice. I'm wondering how you could double check that there was a key of each type in completed set? Measure the weight? They should all be the same right?

I'm just thinking, like flat pack furniture, you finish and there is a left over key and you don't know where it goes   :eek:

If I had a scale accurate enough I could, but I'm sure once I'm in the rhythm I'll be fairly accurate. Even if anybody is missing something I will send it out asap via bubble mailers.

I might also place each key on a poster to ensure I have everyone included as well.

Sounds good man. I was in no way implying you were going to mess it up, I'm sure you are on top of your game! Really appreciate the hard work, can't wait to get my Hack'd and 2xHF in the post  :D

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #2706 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 14:00:06 »
Any pictures of a full set yet?

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #2707 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 15:59:18 »
Any pictures of a full set yet?

Show Image

picture taken on codys phone in daylight so the colours look a bit washed out, but ill get some nice pics sorted asap

but wanted to share

EDIT: Derp, a set of ALL the keys?... don't think so.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2708 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 17:36:10 »
What a nice way to put every key in his set. We can see you have the experience of it. Good job and good luck because you'll have a lot to do it seems. Thanks Cody.

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline kelbear

• (。◕‿‿◕。) PIEPIEPIE~~
    • WorthyList
« Reply #2709 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 19:06:10 »
Ermahgawd... I've been dreaming of these keycaps.

I can't wait to use them on my new b.mini (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ~~~

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #2710 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 22:08:56 »
I placed 3 separate orders (2 orders of 1 each and 1 order of 2 sets) and paid $18x3 shipping.
Just wondering if I could get bumped up to some form of express shipping - I'd be happy to pay any difference not covered by the $54 already paid.

Offline filphil

• One day I hope to find a love like JD and Turk
« Reply #2711 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 22:31:28 »
I placed 3 separate orders (2 orders of 1 each and 1 order of 2 sets) and paid $18x3 shipping.
Just wondering if I could get bumped up to some form of express shipping - I'd be happy to pay any difference not covered by the $54 already paid.

That's a good idea. I have two and wonder if I could do the same.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #2712 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 22:48:04 »

That's a good idea. I have two and wonder if I could do the same.

Yeah just a bit worried as I'm going overseas for work at the end of August for a month and would really like to have a set to take on my travel board :)

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2713 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 23:02:08 »
PM your order numbers and say you've paid for shipping twice (or thrice) and would like an expedited quote.

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2714 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 23:06:07 »
I completed all the shelfs for 1unit keys. I will finish up tomorrow and post another imgur album with A LOT of photos.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #2715 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 01:08:35 »
PM your order numbers and say you've paid for shipping twice (or thrice) and would like an expedited quote.

PM'd

Cheers Cody

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #2716 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 05:10:53 »
I wonder how much would it cost to expedite shipment of 5 sets (3 of these and 2 HBG sets) to Malaysia...

:P

Offline R1N3

« Reply #2717 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 05:20:34 »

Cody, what's it gonna cost for you to build me a new loftbed out of cardboard?

hes gonna need a bed there to tackle all this, so that idea isnt as far fetched as you would think haha
Hahah Cody out there doing God's work

Offline Polymer

« Reply #2718 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 06:21:59 »
Just curious if Cody noticed any issues with the Hyperfuse GMK stuff like what they're seeing on the TA buy...I have to think it was the custom color that created the problem but who knows....

One more good thing of not having it pre-sorted...can have some central QA..

Offline jackiecanev2

« Reply #2719 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 06:53:51 »

Just curious if Cody noticed any issues with the Hyperfuse GMK stuff like what they're seeing on the TA buy...I have to think it was the custom color that created the problem but who knows....

I think the problem (shipping aside) is limited to R5 ALTs - I don't think HF has any R5 keys?
| HHKB2 | Viper | 356.2 | Ducati | pitties | scalpels |

Offline awhitedev

« Reply #2720 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 07:32:02 »

I'm also curious of this... I saw one post on Reddit where someone mentioned seeing swirls and splotches on some of the keys. I know it's early but have we seen any manufacturing flaws so far?

Offline omen7288

« Reply #2721 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 08:43:31 »

I'm also curious of this... I saw one post on Reddit where someone mentioned seeing swirls and splotches on some of the keys. I know it's early but have we seen any manufacturing flaws so far?

I'm kind of curious of this as well - however I don't mind waiting until I get my set. I was not in the TA GB, this is my first set coming from GMK and I'm super excited for the set. Reading all the chaos on reddit + geekhack over the TA swirls and scratches makes me hope I'm not as disappointed as some.
Planck MX Blue
Keycool PBT
RK-9000I MX Blues, Vortex PBTRK-9000 MX Blues

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #2722 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 09:58:27 »

none, i believe those are most likely caused by using custom colours, rather than tried and true gmk ones, certain pigments just react differently to others in the same conditions
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #2723 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 10:01:36 »

none, i believe those are most likely caused by using custom colours, rather than tried and true gmk ones, certain pigments just react differently to others in the same conditions

not to mention photo quality, I have taken shots of keysets that looked splotchy and uneven (mostly purple) in certain light. But the sets had no flaws.
don't come to my funeral, there wont be one

Offline kingslenkds

• www.hammerclub.org
« Reply #2724 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 12:45:32 »
I completed all the shelfs for 1unit keys. I will finish up tomorrow and post another imgur album with A LOT of photos.
It is to ship it? I can change the delivery address?
Often make the chests are wei spark, the world only intensity (life is alive, waiting to die)

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #2725 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 13:35:28 »

if you didnt order via the site, and want to change your address, shoot me a pm with the new address and yoru order and copy codyeatworld in to it

Offline kingslenkds

• www.hammerclub.org
« Reply #2726 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 14:24:45 »

if you didnt order via the site, and want to change your address, shoot me a pm with the new address and yoru order and copy codyeatworld in to it
Receiving new approach has given you a PM
Often make the chests are wei spark, the world only intensity (life is alive, waiting to die)

Offline unoab

« Reply #2727 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 15:35:47 »

What Bunny said, and when you consider the way that injection molding is done and how colors are achieved for molded parts the swirls and less prevalent uneven colored keys on TA make sense.

The raw material for injection molding is plastic pellets, which is a good thing to understand going into this problem.  For GMK's base colors they probably have huge bins of pre-colored pellets that they buy in high volumes for their standard commercial customers.  When you have to do a custom order color, and don't have enough volume for them to go out and buy a ton or so of pellets custom made by a plastics vendor in that exact color, they have to mix base pellets with a colorant.  When time to mold, they mix all the pellets and the colorant in a hopper that mixes them as they feed into the injection molding machines, the mixing is done to maintain consistent distribution of pellets and colorant.  So any sort of inconsistency along the line from non-mixed corners in a hopper, to static build up on feed hoses, or any other issue that can happen can lead to inconsistent distribution of base and colorant and lead to some of the issues people have brought up on TA.  Luckily since hyperfuse used all stock colors, there is probably nothing to worry about here.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2728 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 16:13:33 »

What Bunny said, and when you consider the way that injection molding is done and how colors are achieved for molded parts the swirls and less prevalent uneven colored keys on TA make sense.

The raw material for injection molding is plastic pellets, which is a good thing to understand going into this problem.  For GMK's base colors they probably have huge bins of pre-colored pellets that they buy in high volumes for their standard commercial customers.  When you have to do a custom order color, and don't have enough volume for them to go out and buy a ton or so of pellets custom made by a plastics vendor in that exact color, they have to mix base pellets with a colorant.  When time to mold, they mix all the pellets and the colorant in a hopper that mixes them as they feed into the injection molding machines, the mixing is done to maintain consistent distribution of pellets and colorant.  So any sort of inconsistency along the line from non-mixed corners in a hopper, to static build up on feed hoses, or any other issue that can happen can lead to inconsistent distribution of base and colorant and lead to some of the issues people have brought up on TA.  Luckily since hyperfuse used all stock colors, there is probably nothing to worry about here.

You forgot about the extruder, though.  The screw in the extruder serves two functions - it heats the material through shear forces, and it mixes the resin (like, really well).  There are different sections to each screw, and different screw designs for different applications (this is critical).  They may have a screw designed for one application and this custom color stuff may actually be causing issues (colorants can have a much larger effect than you would expect on the processability of various resins).  But the flights (the "threads" of the screw) have very particular designs to force mixing, even having "multi-level" (for lack of a better term and my memory is failing me) flights where the resin will get lifted up to another section briefly before passing back.  Screw design is a very interesting science.

Anyway, all that to say that the only real time that mixing would be a problem is typically during transitions.  If your resins are sticking in the screw or somewhere else you can have contamination issues.  But a good purge of the old resin would solve that.

Keep in mind that my experience is in a slightly different field (flat die extrusion), so I am not an expert in injection molding - I just happen to know (a few) things about extruders.  I'm more than happy to be proven wrong here.  ;)  I'm also not familiar with GMK's equipment.

Oh, and I'm not disagreeing with your conclusion that HF should avoid this issue - just adding to your explanation about TA. :)

Offline wilarseny

« Reply #2729 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 16:30:52 »
So, uh. If anyone's having second thoughts about having joined this buy and wants out, I might know a guy who'd buy your spot.

That guy may or may not be me.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #2730 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 17:08:27 »

You forgot about the extruder, though.  The screw in the extruder serves two functions - it heats the material through shear forces, and it mixes the resin (like, really well).  There are different sections to each screw, and different screw designs for different applications (this is critical).  They may have a screw designed for one application and this custom color stuff may actually be causing issues (colorants can have a much larger effect than you would expect on the processability of various resins).  But the flights (the "threads" of the screw) have very particular designs to force mixing, even having "multi-level" (for lack of a better term and my memory is failing me) flights where the resin will get lifted up to another section briefly before passing back.  Screw design is a very interesting science.

Anyway, all that to say that the only real time that mixing would be a problem is typically during transitions.  If your resins are sticking in the screw or somewhere else you can have contamination issues.  But a good purge of the old resin would solve that.

Keep in mind that my experience is in a slightly different field (flat die extrusion), so I am not an expert in injection molding - I just happen to know (a few) things about extruders.  I'm more than happy to be proven wrong here.  ;)  I'm also not familiar with GMK's equipment.

Oh, and I'm not disagreeing with your conclusion that HF should avoid this issue - just adding to your explanation about TA. :)

you guys are smarter people than me

but yeah, as far as im told we have no issues

but if for any reason any issues do arise, we will be sure to get them sorted

the only issue we have had as far as im aware is that the packaging from gmk was really sub par, boxes arrived with holes in them and in a terrible state, whether this was down to fedex or gmk im not sure, but upon inspection nothing seems to be missing or damaged

but because every set is individually hand sorted, we will be able to use strict quality control while doing so

Offline unoab

« Reply #2731 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 18:05:13 »
I'll avoid quoting all the above, but thanks Hoff for adding to that, I remember you having some experience in the field and glad you chimed in, you have way more experience with plastics then me.

but because every set is individually hand sorted, we will be able to use strict quality control while doing so

80k+ caps, and a pitchfork toting mob from TA already formed,  poor Cody..  Where is the "Cody post-hyperfuse beer fund"?
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 August 2015, 18:13:49 by unoab »

Offline Willyc277

« Reply #2732 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 20:33:54 »
Mfw reading unoab and Hoffs posts

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #2733 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 00:40:18 »
Out of curiosity, weren't the Cyan and Magenta color plastics custom-mixed for Ivan's group buy and entered into permanent offerings?  (For the CMYK group buy).  Those don't have any color uniformity issues, as far as I'm aware, and looking at my own set.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2734 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 01:30:47 »
I haven't experienced any "light leak" or seen issues with the colors. Everything looks awesome.

I finished building the shelving but haven't organized it yet. I will have time tomorrow to wrap up the imgur album.

Offline asdfjkl36

• blue shirt guy
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • --- Click Clacks and Cats --- -- Cyan > Purple --
« Reply #2735 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 02:23:35 »
Cool cool. Glad to hear there are no issues.

This will be my REAL first GMK set ;)

Keep up the great work Cody. Thanks for the update, and cant wait for the album!

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2736 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 02:53:14 »
I haven't experienced any "light leak" or seen issues with the colors. Everything looks awesome.

I finished building the shelving but haven't organized it yet. I will have time tomorrow to wrap up the imgur album.
Looking forward to the album.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #2737 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 09:27:02 »

inb4 people complained about scratches ala the recent one in Triumph Adler GMK keys  :p

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2738 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 11:21:52 »

inb4 people complained about scratches ala the recent one in Triumph Adler GMK keys  :p
Some people will complain no matter what.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #2739 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 12:01:58 »
i wonder if anybody is more excited to get this set than i am

i just caught up with cody, he has told me shipping will kick off properly tomorrow

and that he is getting together the album of pics, not just of the completed sorting area, but of its construction start to finish, and there have been talks of a potential sorting time lapse

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #2740 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 12:15:31 »

i just caught up with cody, he has told me shipping will kick off properly tomorrow

and that he is getting together the album of pics, not just of the completed sorting area, but of its construction start to finish, and there have been talks of a potential sorting time lapse

Man I know you're excited; this has been a long time coming.  A timelapse would be awesome.

I like your new avatar!
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline ATXTider

• I keep it playa while some choose to play it safe
« Reply #2741 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 12:26:05 »

I'm super pumped for this!  Thanks to you guys for all your hard work!  I also can't wait to cop some JTK Purp when those come in!

Offline filphil

« Reply #2742 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 12:26:57 »

Can we also get pictures of DSA and DCS hyperfuse sets next to your new baby? 

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #2743 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 12:28:04 »

I'm super pumped for this!  Thanks to you guys for all your hard work!  I also can't wait to cop some JTK Purp when those come in!

im told those will be ready in about a week, and that ill have pics that i can post very shortly

i believe, we used the exact same purple for that set as gmk uses, so there are some good mix and match possibilities for hyperfuse, ill post a comparison as soon as i have both on hand

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #2744 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 12:28:35 »

as soon as i get my set ill be happy to do that

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #2745 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 12:30:24 »

Keycap sorting timelapse? I never realised how badly I want to see such a thing!

Congrats bunny! Can't wait to see your HyperFuse HHKB  ;D

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #2746 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 12:37:33 »

I'm excited to buy one aftermarket!

Offline filphil

« Reply #2747 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 12:38:08 »

as soon as i get my set ill be happy to do that

Thank you thank you :)

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2748 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 15:56:29 »
A timelapse would be really cool indeed! We are all excited I imagine.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #2749 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 16:09:57 »
A timelapse would be really cool indeed! We are all excited I imagine.

+1  would love to see a timelapse  :thumb:
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More