Poll

Which type for GMK black lotus?

ICON mods
401 (66.3%)
TEXT mods
204 (33.7%)

Total Members Voted: 605

Author Topic: [IC] Black Lotus Keyset - UPDATED OP - GB GOING LIVE ON TKC ON APRIL 2020  (Read 292910 times)

Offline sagadoi

Re: [IC] Black Lotus Keyset Update: ICON MODIFIERS
« Reply #600 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 10:56:32 »
GMK black lotus go go go
Definitely in
I want to know when will the gb open?
Matrix: 1.0 x10 | 1.2 x8 | 2.0 x20 | 2.2 x3 | 2.0 Ver Xmas x2 | Abel x12 | Abel VD x5 | Abel VC | Cain x2 | Mona x5 | Matrix Ti | ProjectFF
Percent: Canoe x6 | Skog x4 | Canoe FE x4 | Skog Lite x2
EVE: Moon x5 | Mira | Mira SE | Meteor x2
Equalz: Zero x4 | Zero.9 EE x7 | Mountain x5 | One x4 | Zero.9 Ti
FOX: Leaf TKL x2 | Time x2 | Orange TKL x2    
TGR: Jane V2 | Jane V2 Ver CE    RAMA: U80A
FMJ TKL x4 | Jer80 x4 | Jermini | Camp C225 x7 | Evil80 x6 |  Evil82 x2 | Mech27 | DolchCR x2 | Triangle x2 | Square x2 | Mars TKL

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #601 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 14:14:28 »
HYP3

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #602 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 20:04:41 »
GMK black lotus go go go
Definitely in
Tkc slot availability is going to be on august :)

If were lucky we could bump it a few weeks earlier.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline digid3ar

« Reply #603 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 20:35:12 »
can we get one purple novelty for R1, now that the base kit is monochrome?

Offline Furikurichemy

« Reply #604 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 20:35:51 »
GMK black lotus go go go
Definitely in

Do we have any info on potential proxies yet?

Offline hillmu

« Reply #605 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 20:40:19 »
Waiting this for years, please go ahead, must buy

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #606 on: Fri, 10 May 2019, 21:28:08 »
Nice to hear that.
Dream of coming soon.

Offline Yeoh

« Reply #607 on: Sat, 11 May 2019, 23:41:53 »
Wow, no purple mods?

Im probably out in that case. (See you over at GMK First Love.)

gl with the gb.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #608 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 21:12:56 »
Wow, no purple mods?

Im probably out in that case. (See you over at GMK First Love.)

gl with the gb.

There would still be purple modifiers in the child kits.

GMK black lotus go go go
Definitely in

Do we have any info on potential proxies yet?

TKC will be the one to announce the official proxies, if you are interested to become one, please contact him directly :)

Offline Yeoh

« Reply #609 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 23:32:01 »
There would still be purple modifiers in the child kits.

Oof, I didnt realize my previous post came off as rudely as it did when I originally wrote it, my apologies.

That being said having to purchase a child kit, in addition to the base, simply to realize the original aesthetic of this set after all these years is less than ideal to say the least.

Offline portbaron

« Reply #610 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 01:15:21 »
What would the MOQ be on purple mods? If those can't hit MOQ that defeats the purpose IMO.
| LIVING THE 1800 LIFE |

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #611 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 19:25:53 »
I'm gonna assume they're running colored mods cause First Love would be too similar as a base kit.

Offline voxkey

« Reply #612 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 08:12:18 »
I really do hope the base kit stays close to the renders in the first post. I'm not sure the set fits the theme otherwise.

With that said, I might still be in with the original purple mods in a child kit provided the base + kit isn't too expensive.

Offline Owl-

« Reply #613 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 15:40:54 »
Curious to know what keys are in each kit.

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #614 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 05:28:25 »
So.. monochrome base. Purple mods child kit. Are we getting hiragana sublegends in a child kit too? 

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #615 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 08:36:53 »
Thank you for expressing your thoughts on the new base kit and child kits. I have to discuss with TKC on whether we should rethink our original plans.

Regardless, it is our best interest to run the kit in the most successful manner that we can. Knowing another kit is on IC and has very similar colorway, it is also a concern on our part since we do not want push something that would only waste our time.

I will assure you that the colors in the renders done by thesiscamper are final and color matching will be our top priority

So.. monochrome base. Purple mods child kit. Are we getting hiragana sublegends in a child kit too?

Yes, hiragana would also be available. :D

Offline comdata55

« Reply #616 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 09:00:51 »
Let me preface this by saying I love the set. What I don't like is that it sounds like I'm going to have to drop between $250 and $300 to get the kit as portrayed in the 3 year interest check, based on recent TKC GBs. I'm not sure if I like it THAT much.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #617 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 09:27:23 »
Let me preface this by saying I love the set. What I don't like is that it sounds like I'm going to have to drop between $250 and $300 to get the kit as portrayed in the 3 year interest check, based on recent TKC GBs. I'm not sure if I like it THAT much.

Do note that both the modifier and legend colors on the base kits are going to be custom GMK colors.

We are still waiting the cost from GMK, but thats one of the main reasons we want to break the original base into child kits.

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #618 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 13:17:52 »

Sounds like you guys need to unshuffle things... Original base kit with purple mods. And a monochrome hiragana sublegened child kit eg. SA Pulse and Mitolet. Don't make me buy 4 kits to have everything.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: Thu, 16 May 2019, 17:54:42 by lakeboredom »

« Reply #619 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 13:49:56 »
I just feel like its p lame that this has been in IC for a long time an now switching the original plan to cater to a new set...

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #620 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 14:07:56 »
I just feel like its p lame that this has been in IC for a long time an now switching the original plan to cater to a new set...
I know right.. people will always say "ooh pretty renders" when new ones are posted. They put up that hiragana render and 1 page of reactions later they change the entire project.

Original base + mono/Hira childkit would be more successful than the shuffled mess they're considering.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #621 on: Fri, 17 May 2019, 08:59:51 »

Sounds like you guys need to unshuffle things... Original base kit with purple mods. And a monochrome hiragana sublegened child kit eg. SA Pulse and Mitolet. Don't make me buy 4 kits to have everything.

Do note that both the modifier and legend colors on the base kits are going to be custom GMK colors.

We are still waiting the cost from GMK, but thats one of the main reasons we want to break the original base into child kits.

I am just posting this to remind you of my thoughts on that topic.

On the other hand, the kits have not been finalized. Basically the goal is to maximize the keycaps that can be included in the base kit while keeping it affordable enough to hit moq for most people.

But after reading all this inputs on our initial plans, it will be a very difficult decision to make.

Offline jobicoppola

« Reply #622 on: Fri, 17 May 2019, 09:25:41 »
for me the proposed monochrome version is not particularly interesting and would be easy to pass on with no regrets.  the original renders with the purple mods, however, those are the reason for following this thread for so long - much more compelling and basically a must-buy. 

Offline voxkey

« Reply #623 on: Fri, 17 May 2019, 09:40:26 »
Might be a good idea to update the original post, if possible, with renders not including the purple mods. At first glance its hard to find this info without digging.

Also the yellow text in the OP is almost unreadable on Geekhack light theme.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #624 on: Fri, 17 May 2019, 10:01:44 »
Might be a good idea to update the original post, if possible, with renders not including the purple mods. At first glance its hard to find this info without digging.

Also the yellow text in the OP is almost unreadable on Geekhack light theme.

Updated the colors to purple to make it easier for both themes. It was actually beige and white, im sorry about that.

I will post the final renders for the kits once we are have more concrete details on that matter. As for now, i hope the renders by thesiscamper and the initial base kit is enough reference to the colorway and the look we are aiming for.

for me the proposed monochrome version is not particularly interesting and would be easy to pass on with no regrets.  the original renders with the purple mods, however, those are the reason for following this thread for so long - much more compelling and basically a must-buy. 

Our black queen is delighted to hear that.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #625 on: Fri, 17 May 2019, 10:02:54 »
Just minor updates on the OP
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 May 2019, 10:08:02 by potatobot »

Offline sagadoi

Re: [IC] Black Lotus Keyset - LAUNCHING ON TKC SOON!
« Reply #626 on: Fri, 17 May 2019, 10:29:27 »
Can not wait for GMK black lotus.
Really nice!
Matrix: 1.0 x10 | 1.2 x8 | 2.0 x20 | 2.2 x3 | 2.0 Ver Xmas x2 | Abel x12 | Abel VD x5 | Abel VC | Cain x2 | Mona x5 | Matrix Ti | ProjectFF
Percent: Canoe x6 | Skog x4 | Canoe FE x4 | Skog Lite x2
EVE: Moon x5 | Mira | Mira SE | Meteor x2
Equalz: Zero x4 | Zero.9 EE x7 | Mountain x5 | One x4 | Zero.9 Ti
FOX: Leaf TKL x2 | Time x2 | Orange TKL x2    
TGR: Jane V2 | Jane V2 Ver CE    RAMA: U80A
FMJ TKL x4 | Jer80 x4 | Jermini | Camp C225 x7 | Evil80 x6 |  Evil82 x2 | Mech27 | DolchCR x2 | Triangle x2 | Square x2 | Mars TKL

Offline Yeoh

« Reply #627 on: Fri, 17 May 2019, 13:45:16 »

Couldnt have said it better myself. Agreed 100%.

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #628 on: Fri, 17 May 2019, 15:21:55 »
I'll be supporting this set either way it goes. Mono Mods + Hiragana lezgoo!

Offline FinalEleven

« Reply #629 on: Fri, 17 May 2019, 19:27:54 »
I'll be supporting this set either way it goes. Mono Mods + Hiragana lezgoo!

Same here! Gonna buy all of the things for this set.

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #630 on: Sun, 19 May 2019, 01:29:53 »
Are those new renders on the front page? They look nice.
Glad to see one page of reactions to a single monochrome render arent enough to derail everything. It would obviously be updated on the front page if that was the case. No ****ing way we'd be insane enough to change things that drastically after 2+ years of IC..  Glad to see its going back on track.

Offline jortzii

« Reply #631 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 01:45:27 »
Hi everyone,

It was decided by myself and TKC (the official vendor) to run this set with the monochrome base. We believe it has the most probability of hitting MOQ for this to run smoothly. Ideally, we want to run the base set as cheap as possible while retaining the basic essence of the keyset design.

I was very hesitant at first because this set has been my baby for the past two years and ive seen the idea copied not only once but several times, but i am very thankful for the ones who have followed this set from the very beginning. I will ensure that purple on the renders would definately match the final mods and anyone who would buy the purple modifer kit would be very satisfied.

As for the modifiers, icon mods it is.

Show Image

Icon mods are great!

Mono mods are...boring though. I prefer colored mods way more as they add a nice accent to the kit and make the keyset pop. Look at striker, it was close to not meeting MOQ up until the end. Then look at all of the sets that have been extremely successful that run with colored mods. Bento, Space Cadet, Nautilus, Olivia, Taro, and many others that have been super successful. It's a bummer that you'll need to buy mods separately if you want colored ones.

Will keep watching this but the separate color mods makes it harder to pick it up. I'd recommend changing the photos, too, as right now when you come to the IC page it seems like it's still colored mods.
Volcano660 | Satisfaction75 | Think6.5 | TGR Jane V2 CE | Preonic | IC Kira | Drop ALT

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #632 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 08:32:35 »
Mono mods are...boring though. I prefer colored mods way more as they add a nice accent to the kit and make the keyset pop. Look at striker, it was close to not meeting MOQ up until the end. Then look at all of the sets that have been extremely successful that run with colored mods. Bento, Space Cadet, Nautilus, Olivia, Taro, and many others that have been super successful. It's a bummer that you'll need to buy mods separately if you want colored ones.

Whilst it is a bummer to some that coloured mods will be made available separately, and I agree hitting MOQ could end up being a bit of a struggle, there is absolutely no correlation between mono mods and a set's success. What you're likely experiencing and referring to is a sense of correlation because of confirmation bias, as 80%+ of sets are ran with "coloured mods" because that's just the way sets are generally designed in this hobby and as such it's statistically going to be the case that more of those sets will do well. Even your cherry picked examples aren't very good.

The same flawed argument could be made for the other side - Minimal, at the time of being ran, was the set that had pulled the biggest amount of numbers outside of Massdrop and it's monochrome. Before that, Terminal was the most successful non-MD set for a long time after its first round; with its second round it still pulled a ton of buyers and the huge coloured mod kit in that as well as the one SkIIdata (which also had a mono base kit that sold very well) met MOQ despite the extremely high price tag. Both MD and Originative White on Black sets sold a gigantic amount of units too very recently.

That said, do I think monochrome base bodes well for the coloured mods? No. Do I think it bodes well for the base set? Yes, which I believe outweighs the former concern. I'm personally very confident that this set's merit coupled with the huge influx of buyers in the hobby of late and basically every set/keyboard out there getting to MOQ with ease, selling ridiculous numbers by the same standards we had just 6 months ago, there should be no issue getting all the latest proposed kits to be made.

Offline voxkey

« Reply #633 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 08:41:07 »
I think at this point we just need a response from the keyset runner about which direction the set is going in and updated renders in the OP to reflect what the set is actually going to look like at GB time.

With so many sets running, some inevitably get skipped by potential buyers even if they are good sets. I think the ambiguity around this set, regardless of the direction it takes, will only hurt its numbers.

Offline Macmutant

« Reply #634 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 10:35:40 »
Hi everyone,

It was decided by myself and TKC (the official vendor) to run this set with the monochrome base. We believe it has the most probability of hitting MOQ for this to run smoothly. Ideally, we want to run the base set as cheap as possible while retaining the basic essence of the keyset design.

I was very hesitant at first because this set has been my baby for the past two years and ive seen the idea copied not only once but several times, but i am very thankful for the ones who have followed this set from the very beginning. I will ensure that purple on the renders would definately match the final mods and anyone who would buy the purple modifer kit would be very satisfied.

Show Image

Icon mods are great!

Will keep watching this but the separate color mods makes it harder to pick it up. I'd recommend changing the photos, too, as right now when you come to the IC page it seems like it's still colored mods.

Agreed. Assuming the decision to run the base kit with mono-mods stands, I will most likely skip this one.

Offline whitty

• Formerly dsw_408
« Reply #635 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 13:20:40 »
To the people complaining about mono mods: do you know that GMK First Love exists?

Why can’t the people who want mono, purchase Black Lotus, and the people who want colored mods, purchase First Love? If you must have the shade of purple in Black Lotus, then the colored mod kit is for you for an extra fee. It’s not that complicated people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline WilySouser

• I would RTFM, but I can't find the FM
« Reply #636 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 14:20:45 »
To the people complaining about mono mods: do you know that GMK First Love exists?

Why can’t the people who want mono, purchase Black Lotus, and the people who want colored mods, purchase First Love? If you must have the shade of purple in Black Lotus, then the colored mod kit is for you for an extra fee. It’s not that complicated people.

A pretty simple we were here first.  There are many of us who have been waiting on the original(non-monochrome) version for years.  First Love was late April '19.  It feels a lot like a bait-and-switch for the ones that have tried to keep this alive with interest.

Offline WilySouser

• I would RTFM, but I can't find the FM
« Reply #637 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 14:23:10 »
Hi everyone,

Show Image

Icon mods are great!

Agreed. Assuming the decision to run the base kit with mono-mods stands, I will most likely skip this one.

If base kit makes MOQ and colored mods does not, definitely pulling TF out

Offline whitty

• Formerly dsw_408
« Reply #638 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 14:28:42 »

A pretty simple we were here first.  There are many of us who have been waiting on the original(non-monochrome) version for years.  First Love was late April '19.  It feels a lot like a bait-and-switch for the ones that have tried to keep this alive with interest.

No

Offline Jkush463

« Reply #639 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 17:22:43 »
im so very ready for this.

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #640 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 17:40:45 »
Quote:

Tentative launch date: AUGUST 2019

==============
Happy to hear this.
Also hard to know there is still a while.  ;)

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #641 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 19:23:40 »
Is mono mods still default?  That doesn't sounds right - don't see much enthusiasm for it - meh, will buy everything, MoQ won't be at risk, yada....
Ultimately it's designer/vendor decision, but why not give people what they want?  :p

Offline Macmutant

« Reply #642 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 19:29:01 »

You’re right. It isn’t complicated at all. I won’t buy this set if it’s made with mono mods. I’m not buying a child kit to get the purple ones, and I’m not buying GMK First Love.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #643 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 19:54:09 »
This is the thing, obviously people in this thread are going to be biased for the most part - we're all super invested into the original look, it's what we've been waiting for for the past like 2 years.

Clearly that's not the only factor to take into account; and this does not only have to do with First Love potentially being a thing, it has to do with the fact the majority of prospect buyers for this set aren't actually here to voice their opinion, GH ICs are a great way to gauge interest but there are tons of buyers who do not provide input and that has to be taken into consideration. This is not to say everyone outside of us here wants monochrome mods, but this is something TKC has a ton of experience with and I believe he wants what's best for the set (if for no other reason than for his own monetary gain) and will decide accordingly.

Most of my latest posts may appear monochrome biased, and whilst I really do think it's the better move all around, my reasoning is just that it seems like people are being a little too vehement with the whole one versus the other debate - voicing your opinion is one thing, consistently saying "x mods are the correct decision here and you're making a big mistake if you decide to go with y, you should feel bad" comes off wrong in my opinion and may potentially negatively influence the runner into doing something that he otherwise wouldn't which can have real implications for everybody.

TLDR: feedback good, pushing bad.

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #644 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 21:24:09 »
Dissenting feedback [to mono mod] have been gentle so far.  They are not pushy at all.

If it has been decided for good, update the OP accordingly (currently gross misrepresentation) and throw something more than it's been decided, this is best...

Constructively, respectively offering up feedback here

Offline voxkey

« Reply #645 on: Wed, 22 May 2019, 09:26:39 »
Well said, Virgrith.

I'm less concerned with what direction the mods will go and more concerned with a decision being made and the thread updated accordingly.

With so many GMK sets coming out, it's important to plan which to go for, and which way these mods go will influence my buying decisions. Not just on this set, but others.

In short, I feel like the indecision is hurting this set's potential the most and I very much want it to succeed in whatever form it takes regardless if I will personally join the GB or not.

Offline diorite

« Reply #646 on: Thu, 23 May 2019, 01:34:16 »
First things first, is the monochrome render even released yet?

Everyone saying it will make MOQ with the MC but we dont even really know what to expect yet...

So saying that it will sell more as MC is pure speculation.

Stick with the original idea because as MC it's not really Black Lotus anyways, and should probably have a different name vs piggy backing off a IC that had alot of popularity.

Show Image

It was made a little while back, I think this is what started the monochrome requests. While I will be picking up both sets of modifiers for this set, I don't know how smart it is to go the purple mod in base route just because First Love exists (whether you agree with that or not). It seems like that one is going to run and it would be nice to have a differentiation that will allow this set to succeed without having to directly compete. Either way, this set has my full support.

Is this set actually going to be available? It looks really nice. Way better than purple mods IMHO.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 May 2019, 01:36:02 by diorite »

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #647 on: Mon, 27 May 2019, 06:26:11 »
Honestly, I think you guys should do a strawpoll on reddit or something about the monochrome vs purple mods to gauge the actual level of interest for each.  I say reddit because this site has users with a bias toward purple mods given the age of this thread, whereas most reddit-only users probably forgot this exists.

WilySouser also brings up something to consider IMO:  there is a chance the base kit itself could fail MOQ from people pulling out if the purple mods don't make MOQ.  I certainly don't mean this as a threat but I can confirm I would be another to pull out of the drop if the purple mods won't make it, and I would not be surprised if others feel the same.  And I know everyone here fully believes in this set, but it's a bit disingenuous to say "well if you like the purple mods just buy the mod kit" because there is a very real chance they won't make it.  Even Skiidata's orange mods failed and that's a more popular colorway.  Honestly, even the main kit itself could be a challenge to reach MOQ since it needs 250, purple mods or no - not even Massdrop's influence makes a 250 MOQ a given these days.

All that said, I completely respect the right of the GB runners to do what they need to make the set a success/better in the eyes of the majority, even if it's not something I'll be interested in.  For instance if that supposed poll comes back 90-10 in favor of monochrome mods then so be it, those of us in favor or purple mods would either need to change our view or move on.   

BTW what is the plan for the accent keys with monochrome mods?  Traditionally with a 2-color set you just invert them for the accent, but the original idea here was the light purple.  Which will be used?
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 May 2019, 06:32:00 by a_ak57 »

« Reply #648 on: Mon, 27 May 2019, 07:04:50 »
Honestly, I think you guys should do a strawpoll on reddit or something about the monochrome vs purple mods to gauge the actual level of interest for each.  I say reddit because this site has users with a bias toward purple mods given the age of this thread, whereas most reddit-only users probably forgot this exists.

WilySouser also brings up something to consider IMO:  there is a chance the base kit itself could fail MOQ from people pulling out if the purple mods don't make MOQ.  I certainly don't mean this as a threat but I can confirm I would be another to pull out of the drop if the purple mods won't make it, and I would not be surprised if others feel the same.  And I know everyone here fully believes in this set, but it's a bit disingenuous to say "well if you like the purple mods just buy the mod kit" because there is a very real chance they won't make it.  Even Skiidata's orange mods failed and that's a more popular colorway.  Honestly, even the main kit itself could be a challenge to reach MOQ since it needs 250, purple mods or no - not even Massdrop's influence makes a 250 MOQ a given these days.

All that said, I completely respect the right of the GB runners to do what they need to make the set a success/better in the eyes of the majority, even if it's not something I'll be interested in.  For instance if that supposed poll comes back 90-10 in favor of monochrome mods then so be it, those of us in favor or purple mods would either need to change our view or move on.   

BTW what is the plan for the accent keys with monochrome mods?  Traditionally with a 2-color set you just invert them for the accent, but the original idea here was the light purple.  Which will be used?
This, exactly.

Offline WithoutWeakness

« Reply #649 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 10:27:05 »
There was a poll for icon vs text mods and a decision was made pretty quickly based on the result. Why not just create a poll for mono vs colored mods to be included and offer the "losing" option as a child kit? This should not be this difficult.

Colored mods are the correct answer, BTW