Author Topic: Classic or Full Hand  (Read 5046 times)

Offline audukent

Classic or Full Hand
« on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 13:04:38 »
Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of picking up the Ergodox, currently being sold on https://www.massdrop.com/, and was wondering if anyone had suggestions on the casings. 

I currently use a soft wrist pad, typical one that you can see below.

So I leave this at: Do you prefer the Classic layout or the Full hand layout?

Thanks!
[LZ-GH - 62g mx greens and 62g mx clears]    [Ducky Shine - mx browns]    [RACE mxMini - mxreds]  [POKER II - mx Blacks]    [KPAD - 62g mx blacks]

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
Re: Classic or Full Hand
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 17:16:55 »
I can't decide either... For now I chose full hand aluminium top but I changed it back and forth couple of times already.
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 17:54:44 »
I got the compact one because of how I hate resting my hands on the edge of my laptop. I can use discrete palm rests anyway.

Offline audukent

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 20:13:12 »
I can't decide either... For now I chose full hand aluminium top but I changed it back and forth couple of times already.

Haha I did the same, but I landed on the classic. I figure if I'm using a softer wrist rest right now, I'm going to want that same when using the ergodox.  I'm thinking I'll pick up some 'ergobeads' and try that out with these things.  Hopefully I won't regret this decision! 
[LZ-GH - 62g mx greens and 62g mx clears]    [Ducky Shine - mx browns]    [RACE mxMini - mxreds]  [POKER II - mx Blacks]    [KPAD - 62g mx blacks]

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 21:03:16 »
I've never used a wrist wrest and that full hand just looks really big.

I think I would go with the classic.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 23:30:49 »
My question is how does the anodized aluminum top look and feel.
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Main driver : WASD CODE TKL MX Clear

Offline Larken

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 23:42:03 »
Fullhand is alot more comfortable. Typical wrist rests can't be used as the ergodox is a little awkward used on a flat surface, which is why most users (afaik) tent the keyboard. If you tent a classic, having no wristrest makes it rather tiring to float your hands all the time.

Do check out what kurplop has done with his here; effectively he still provides a place for resting his wrists using the tray. http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43709.0

Search for Glod's - ah, nm, I'll quote it from elsewhere:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

A classic case, that ultimately is put together like the fullhand using a custom made dock. Unless you're planning to travel with the ergodox alot or willing to create a custom solution, I think most users would be better served using the fullhand case, unless you're going to use the keyboard flat (and no, you really shouldn't).

A fullhand, tented; one of my older pictures

Show Image

A video of a fullhand in action;

TLDR; get the fullhand pls. Unless its meant for travel, or you're gonna build one of those wonderful custom jobs linked above.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline mikelanding

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 23:57:37 »
I got both Fullhand and Classic.
I prefer the Full Hand more with tenting (mod with Kinesis V3 accessories). I had habit to rest my palm when typing.
But the size and weight for both is significant. If you plan to bring around. You should consider classic.

Anyone with Fullhand want to trade with classic case. Do PM me. I looking to trade.
HHKB Type-S | Kinesis Advantage | Maltron 3D 2Hand | Ergodox (62g ErgoClear)

Offline Larken

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 00:18:48 »
there's also another option that potential purchasers can consider - get the classic case, and go to a local lasering shop and get extra bottom plates (fullhand) cut out. It shouldn't cost that much, since its not much to laser.

Then what you can do is to remove the last layer from the classic case:

the classic alongside a fullhand bottom plate -

The screw holes match up. So most would realise where this is going.

There you have it. Classic case, with a last layer to place a soft wrist rest- just cut one of those grifiti wrist rests up in the right shape and put it on the wooden area (I wouldn't recommend that anyone use wood. Acrylic is probably sturdier.)

I got both Fullhand and Classic.
I prefer the Full Hand more with tenting (mod with Kinesis V3 accessories). I had habit to rest my palm when typing.
But the size and weight for both is significant. If you plan to bring around. You should consider classic.

Anyone with Fullhand want to trade with classic case. Do PM me. I looking to trade.

Mike, you might want to consider this mod? Probably cheaper than paying for shipping in a swap if you can find a lasering service in your area.

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline pocketdrummer

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 00:34:51 »
I was under the impression that resting your wrists while typing was a bad idea...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 00:38:51 »
I was under the impression that resting your wrists while typing was a bad idea...

I had that impression too.  I can't rest mine while typing, it feels too awkward and, for me at least, probably is.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Larken

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 00:55:41 »

it is. wrist rests should only be used when you're resting.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 00:58:45 »

it is. wrist rests should only be used when you're resting.

Hence the term "wrist rest".  Otherwise it would be more like a "wrist support".
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 01:03:22 »
If you call them palm rests it's okay.