Author Topic: RAMA Solderable vs Hot-swap  (Read 4178 times)

Offline KRMing

RAMA Solderable vs Hot-swap
« on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 20:30:45 »
Hi,

I recently bought a RAMA keyboard which is still under production. It is possible to change my PCB configurations, so I have a question regarding it.
I'm aware that the RAMA pcb dies very easily due to various reasons. So, would a hot-swappable one be a better option?
RAMA offers free replacement for the dead PCB, but if it's a solderable PCB that has died, you have to desolder each and every switch and solder them back onto the new PCB.
This seems like a tedious task, also having a possibility of damaging the switches if encountering repeated runs.
However, the sound and feel of a solderable PCB is better, so I really can't decide.
Can you guys give me some advice? Thanks.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
Re: RAMA Solderable vs Hot-swap
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 21:03:45 »
Solder always if possible. If you have a solder sucker it takes like 60 min max to desolder keyboard. If you have desoldering gun, even faster.

Solder definitely worth it
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline udller

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 22:02:32 »
buy one of each pcb. that way you have a back up.

Offline shansoft

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 20:33:28 »
Solder always if possible. If you have a solder sucker it takes like 60 min max to desolder keyboard. If you have desoldering gun, even faster.

Solder definitely worth it

I went from full solder to mill-max everything.... desoldering have a decent chance to destroy the pad, especially with the sucker.

If there is a hotswap, personally that is a more preferable option..... From pop wire fixing to selling the board with buyer's intent.

I see almost no benefit with soldering unless it's half plate or PCB mount.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 21:36:29 »
Mill-Max do not fit every board.

If you rip a Kailh (the most common hot swap) off the PCB it's often more difficult (and catastrophic) to fix than a soldered pcb and from what I've seen, pretty easy to do as they are bottom mount. From an engineering perspective it's actually a terrible design.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline greedy3290

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 23:21:01 »
desoldering gun ?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 16 August 2020, 01:57:00 »
desoldering gun ?
Awesome, but not cheap, at least decent ones.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline shansoft

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 16 August 2020, 04:51:58 »
Mill-Max do not fit every board.

If you rip a Kailh (the most common hot swap) off the PCB it's often more difficult (and catastrophic) to fix than a soldered pcb and from what I've seen, pretty easy to do as they are bottom mount. From an engineering perspective it's actually a terrible design.

To be fair, I built over like 20+ PCB with Mill-Max, none of them have issue of fitting using 7305.....
Also, for Kailh hotswap socket, just press down switch on a flat table, it won't fall out regardless how you push down....

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 16 August 2020, 10:25:39 »
wow, I might look into 7305 then, it sounds good !
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 17 August 2020, 00:11:51 »
To be fair, I built over like 20+ PCB with Mill-Max, none of them have issue of fitting using 7305.....
Also, for Kailh hotswap socket, just press down switch on a flat table, it won't fall out regardless how you push down....
There's a chart listing some boards they do not  fit, I can't locate it at the moment but it's out there. They are also quite a bit more expensive then the Kailh (hence companies not using them) and they're a bit delicate to install.

As per Splitkb.com
"The sockets won't fit Kailh Choc Low Profile switches, Kailh Pro Switches, and on other switches where one leg of the switch is wider than the other leg. "

That said, I do agree, they are better than the Kailh sockets. I'm just not sure I want them on a high end board as it's still another failure point.

As for Kailh.
It's not an issue of falling out. If the pins on the switch are slightly off they press on the hot swap housing and have been Known trip the pads off the pcb. They are SMD mounted from underneath. When this happens it rips off the pad and part of the trace with it. They also stretch and have inconsistent contact.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline walie

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 17 August 2020, 13:34:30 »

I'm aware that the RAMA pcb dies very easily due to various reasons.

They do?

Offline hvontres

• Buckling Spring Enthusiast - Full Size Evangelist
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 17 August 2020, 14:37:35 »
There's a chart listing some boards they do not  fit, I can't locate it at the moment but it's out there. They are also quite a bit more expensive then the Kailh (hence companies not using them) and they're a bit delicate to install.

As per Splitkb.com
"The sockets won't fit Kailh Choc Low Profile switches, Kailh Pro Switches, and on other switches where one leg of the switch is wider than the other leg. "

That said, I do agree, they are better than the Kailh sockets. I'm just not sure I want them on a high end board as it's still another failure point.

As for Kailh.
It's not an issue of falling out. If the pins on the switch are slightly off they press on the hot swap housing and have been Known trip the pads off the pcb. They are SMD mounted from underneath. When this happens it rips off the pad and part of the trace with it. They also stretch and have inconsistent contact.

probably a small dab of 5-minute epoxy on the Kalih sockets will help with that problem. I'll report back once I build up my Jampad boards, which will happen when my Kalih sockets finally get here....
Henry von Tresckow

1986 Model M 1390131, 1987 Model M 1391401 , 1993 Model M2 Modded Reddragon k556(Test Mule) Boston Prototype x2 (Daily Drivers :) )

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 17 August 2020, 22:38:14 »
probably a small dab of 5-minute epoxy on the Kalih sockets will help with that problem. I'll report back once I build up my Jampad boards, which will happen when my Kalih sockets finally get here....
Not a bad idea except what do you do when the socket goes bad (100 insert avg. lifespan).

I'm not against hot swap, just that if your keyboard is a long term investment, solder it.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline mrvco

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 17 August 2020, 22:56:22 »
buy one of each pcb. that way you have a back up.

Or one of each PCB, take your time and figure out your preferred setup using the hot-swap board and when ready, solder away!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 18 August 2020, 05:41:36 »
Soldered is for grown-ups Only.. Rated R.

Offline shansoft

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 05:02:57 »
Not a bad idea except what do you do when the socket goes bad (100 insert avg. lifespan).

I'm not against hot swap, just that if your keyboard is a long term investment, solder it.

I would be surprise if solder pad can even survive that desoldering attempts without burning or lift the pad... Kalih socket is still outpacing solder in term of usage.

For long term investment, neither is better.... buying multiple PCB is a better investment.

Soldered is for grown-ups Only.. Rated R.

Solder mill-max into it.... Rated X.
Bulletproof with maximum potential.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 06:03:56 »
I would be surprise if solder pad can even survive that desoldering attempts without burning or lift the pad...
I can see it being an issue if you have a garbage PCB and crappy iron (or damaged pcb), but a decent pcb and iron should allow many replacements without that problem. If not it's PEBKAC.

Kalih socket is still outpacing solder in term of usage.
You don't say.

For long term investment, neither is better.... buying multiple PCB is a better investment.
That's not always an option.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More