Author Topic: Best way to obtain parts?  (Read 1849 times)

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
Best way to obtain parts?
« on: Fri, 26 October 2012, 09:11:26 »
Hi guys,

I'm pretty new and I've been lurking around the MST threads and have been getting REALLY interested in getting into building/modding keyboards. There's a ton of information with detailed guides which is very educational, thanks to the cool dudes that post a lot here ;D

After seeing some WIP pictures and the final product of KMAC's, Cheat's, and Phantom's I think I am mentally prepared to commit to trying to do some myself...problem is I have no idea how to get those parts. Unfortunately I missed out on all the past group buys and have not gotten lucky in classified forum yet. What would be the best way to get a DIY kit or parts? I heard the KMAC 2 came out as well, should I wait for a GB for that? How long did it take you to gather everything you need?

I have 100 MX Clear switches in the mail and I'm thinking of maybe starting slow with some switch modding...but ideally I'd like to build/customize a whole keyboard. All tips are welcome  :D

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: Best way to obtain parts?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 26 October 2012, 09:26:52 »
The KMAC2 GB happened, all the Korean stuff happens on the Korean  boards.  Switches can be bought in the classifieds, the occasional GB here, and you can try 7bit over on deskthority.  The prototype run of the GH60 (poker size KB) is basically now, GB for that will start up when the design is proven.  No idea if there's going to be a case for that one, however any of the aftermarket poker  cases should work, and you can also try to buy a stock poker case from someone that has already replaced theirs.

I  ran a stabilizer GB a little while back, but Cherry stabs are readily available from mouser and onlinecomponents.  The only problem being the space bar stabilizer is pretty much impossible to source. 

Matias is soon to have available their Alps switches in q200 bags, no doubt there will be some boards coming up based on those.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 26 October 2012, 15:04:16 »
Most LEDs are 3mm, and are between 2.1-4V, flattops work best or you can sand down the round ones otherwise you might have fitting problems with keycaps. I prefer using thin solder which is 60/40 Rosin-Core so it will be easier to control where the solder goes, and make sure you use a small tip so that it is easy to control where the heat goes.
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 October 2012, 15:05:57 by ekw808 »
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D 

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 27 October 2012, 15:30:00 »
What would you recommend for LED modding if I want to switch out the red LED's on a Filco (just the LED's for capslock and scroll lock) with another color?

So many possibilities it's so overwhelming! Hah would be great if there's a GH meetup for modding instructions :)

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 27 October 2012, 17:56:41 »
As long as you can hack soldering a couple SMD resistors, the sky is the limit.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens