Author Topic: TECK (Truly Ergonomic Keyboard) review  (Read 8760 times)

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
TECK (Truly Ergonomic Keyboard) review
« on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 19:55:07 »
I was in the process of thoroughly investigating the merits of the TECK when my fiance entered the room and asked,

Why are you typing on a keyboard shaped like my ass?

After looking at her then the keyboard... It can not be unseen :(

42029-0

The teck is nice because it nurtures a very natural position by which to rest my hands.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Re: TECK (Truly Ergonomic Keyboard) review
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 19:55:53 »
How does she know what her ass looks like?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 19:57:55 »
11/10, would read review again. Also, I need a TECK now.

Can you please tell me what it feels like to type on now that we know about the rest?

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 19:59:23 »
11/10, would read review again. Also, I need a TECK now.

Can you please tell me what it feels like to type on now that we know about the rest?

Oh god if I say any more I might blush  :-[

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 00:09:34 »

Frequently practiced female sorcery... aka standing in front of a mirror for an extended time?

lol is this a review?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 16:08:58 »

Do you know what your ass looks like?
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 16:45:57 »
And the new MS Sculpt looks like...?  :D
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 12:20:11 »
After a serious bit of time with the TECK I can say with great certainty that it is a pretty neat solution.

Features:
  • Non-staggered layout
  • Uniform Profile (all top row OEM keys)
  • Small footprint
  • Programmable Layout
  • Dip switch customization
  • Included but optional wrist rest
  • Shaped like my fiance's butt

Most ergo nuts know about are the non-stagged layouts.  There are comfort pros and cons to this decision.  A lack of staggering tends to make things more spaced out, easier to press, and nurtures proper posture.  All good?  No.  Frequently folks are required to go back to standard keyboards.  I fight with this every day.  Ultimately the owner of such a keyboard will want to fully convert.  If you don't intend to go all in be prepared to either eventually go all non-staggered or maybe resell this keyboard.

Ergonomics are more than just switch staggering.  With the TECK I have been able to use an inverse slope with relative ease because of the uniform keycap profile and keyboard design.  The optional wrist rest offers a solid place to rest your hands, and gives the TECK a bit of that feminine form that I've  been so inclined to mention.

Tinkerers out there will not be able to swap cases with readily available options, but I would not discourage interest in this kbd.  Without even opening up the guts and poking around it is possible to re-flash the TECK with a custom layout with tools provided on the Truely Ergonimic Keyboard website.  Great value for the massdrop price of $190 w/shipping but I would say above $200 is a bit much even for this sweet piece of... hueheuhuehue

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 19:14:10 »
Frequently folks are required to go back to standard keyboards.  I fight with this every day.  Ultimately the owner of such a keyboard will want to fully convert.

This is the single reason why I got a Matias instead of a TECK. Laptops, in particular, have no non-staggered options when you're travelling light with them... you're kind of forced to switch back to staggered layout in that situation.

I have to wonder what the marketing potential is for a laptop keyboard replacement, focusing on one or two popular brands that tend to use the same keyboard part (and thus dimensions) almost everywhere.

Also FWIW, I've noticed some GHer comments in the past about getting used to switching between staggered and non-staggered. But I suspect it would drive me batty.
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline synerr

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 11:53:52 »
Having seen tag at pic I cannot get Miley Cyrus out if my head.  Thanks.

I use a kinesis contoured but I use a 'normal' keyboard once a week to still be able to switch.  You can't take your own ergo keyboard to every data centre rack, certification exam, client or what not.
Press any key to continue, any other key to quit.