Author Topic: Initial Thoughts on my Pure Pro  (Read 4617 times)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Initial Thoughts on my Pure Pro
« on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 14:55:43 »
Well, it's tiny, it's pretty, and I think I'm in love.

This is my first keyboard with backlighting, and I take back everything I've ever said about backlight being ugly. I can't believe how beautiful it is. Considering I spend a lot of time gaming in the dark, this is a welcome addition to my collection. The LEDs are in the top of the switch, so the legends are pretty uniform, but the side-printed functions can be hard to see on dimmer settings (that and my eyesight is lame). The caps are actually pretty nice, considering that they're ABS. I suspect they'll hold up much longer than the caps on my miniLA have been. It flexes a lot more than I'd like, but I have a wood case coming, so I'm not super worried about that. The plate mounted browns feel pretty solid. I don't bottom out, so I can't comment on the stabs.

I played some TF2 last night, and it worked perfectly well for that (here is where I note that I was a platinum medic for a season). I actually ended up turning the light off, as it was pretty distracting. After a sufficiently long TF2 session, I switched over to GW2. The lack of F-keys really hurts here, as I use them for a whole array of things. I ran around in PvP for about half an hour before I gave in and switched back to my oh-so-trusty QFR.

I'll probably add more as I play more games/do more things, but that about covers it for now.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Initial Thoughts on my Pure Pro
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 14:58:39 »
I feel exactly the same way you do about backlighting. I can touch type so I don't need to look down obviously, but when I type on my Pure or KMAC and there's backlighting, it just looks great. A nice cherry on top for me ^__^.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 22:22:26 »
I have played DotA on it now.

Eh. I like having actual F-keys for DotA. I'll probably be lazy and use it anyway for the next few weeks.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline tbc

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 23:24:03 »
how's replacement keycaps feasibility?  weird spacebar, etc.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 00:25:37 »

Space bar means your **** out of luck really.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 10:26:10 »

Actually, KBC does sell replacements, which can be gotten from any taobao proxy. I'll see if I can find them again...

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 01:50:04 »

Actually, KBC does sell replacements, which can be gotten from any taobao proxy. I'll see if I can find them again...

Yeah I was thinking more for custom keysets and such, people don't include the correct size space-bar in SP or GMK sets.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline baotung

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 03:05:00 »
I had my Pure Pro for one day and could not stand the layout. I had to put it up for sale hahah.

Offline Olitender

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 19:03:09 »
How do you like the layout? The arrow keys they added seem a little off to me, and the first two rows seem kind of scrunched together.

Going into heat.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 19:06:38 »
TacticalStache was a plat med? WHWATATATAHATA  :eek:

Back on topic, how do you find using the small spacebar while gaming?

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 23:16:21 »
TS! program yourself a gaming layout which includes f-keys
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline MattDamon

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 13:17:31 »
How do you feel about the small backspace key? Is it annoying or are you able to adapt to it pretty quickly?

Offline V1ral

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 15:29:26 »
I'm about ready to put my Pure Pro up for sale as well. I cannot stand the layout. The small backspace was especially annoying, and swapping it with the awkwardly-placed delete key didn't help much. Most of my keyboards have blank keycaps and I mostly touch type, so even though I did get used to the altered layout pretty quickly, I had a lot of misplaced keystrokes whenever I changed keyboards.

I also hated the feel of the ABS keycaps that came with it. I can't imagine getting custom keysets for that board to be easy though.

Offline dsc.

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 09:47:02 »
I was going to pull the trigger on a Pure Pro, but the ABS keycaps are what was holding me back. Good to know that they're not that bad.

HHKB Pro 2
Ducky Pro Limited MX Brown/White Hybrid
Poker II MX Brown
Leopold FC660M MX Blue

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 14:52:51 »
How do you feel about the small backspace key? Is it annoying or are you able to adapt to it pretty quickly?

I love the small backspace.

The whole layout will take you about a month to get used to, but it's totally worth it.

I prefer the FN placement of the miniLA, but overall I'm loving the layout.