Author Topic: Cherry MX Blue vs White Alps vs Buckling Spring  (Read 6157 times)

Offline Pyrolistical

Cherry MX Blue vs White Alps vs Buckling Spring
« on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 14:28:40 »
The mech keyboard scene is dominated by Cherry MX.  But what about Alps or Buckling Spring?

I own many keyboards, and for each one I give multiple weeks of continuous usage before judgement.  The 3 keyboards I used for the switch comparison are:

• Cherry MX Blue: Metadot Das Keyboard Professional Model S
  • White Alps (aka Matias Click): Matias Mini Tactile Pro
  • Buckling Spring: Unicomp Spacesaver M‎

After using these keyboards for weeks (in and most cases months), I would say White Alps is by far the best, followed by Buckling Spring.

White Alps wins in every category of click sound quantity, click feel, and stroke feel.  The only down side is it is the loudest.

White Alps is a more tactile Buckling Spring, and both are better than Cherry MX Blue.  You can hear the wimpy sound of the Cherry MX Blue, but not feel it at all.

And the end of the day, White Alps is what I used to write this review.

Offline Linkbane

Re: Cherry MX Blue vs White Alps vs Buckling Spring
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 23:29:53 »
White Alps is a more tactile Buckling Spring, and both are better than Cherry MX Blue.  You can hear the wimpy sound of the Cherry MX Blue, but not feel it at all.

If you can't feel Blues, there's something wrong with you.
Blues/BS>>>>Alps
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 06:52:28 »

• White Alps (aka Matias Click): Matias Mini Tactile Pro
And the end of the day, White Alps is what I used to write this review.

You forget that Matias has made these White Alps slightly different from traditional ALPs switches like for example a Polycarbonate Shell Casing for the switch to reside in.  I will be getting one of his Keyboards to see how well he has made the switch.

Nice to see someone who has single-handedly taken an old product and remade it better for the rest of us to use.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 09:22:16 »
Thanks for sharing your opinions!

I have a question though. Shouldn't you just call the Matias switches the Matias Clicky/Tactile switch? White Alps exist and can be found in older keyboards. Yes they are a replacement to the Fukka White Alps but you can still find actual White Alps. Just think the nomenclature you picked is confusing.

Offline trimaster

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 13:07:10 »
I would love if you could go into more detail about the Mini Tactile Pro.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 19:35:53 »
One thing to note about buckling spring is that a Unicomp Spacesaver buckling spring feels completely different than a vintage Model M.  The Model M, even the newer, light models, are much sturdier and heavier than the Unicomp Spacesaver M.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing