Author Topic: [IC] Noxary X75  (Read 60818 times)

Offline gzprime

Re: [IC] X75
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 06:15:54 »
Will the anodized aluminum plate be billet or cast aluminum? If you're still taking feedback/input I personally prefer billet.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 November 2016, 06:18:26 by gzprime »

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 06:32:03 »
Will the anodized aluminum plate be billet or cast aluminum? If you're still taking feedback/input I personally prefer billet.

Most likely laser/waterjet cut (or slightly less likely: milled plates). You do not, generally speaking, spend the capital to produce dies/moulds for components that are not produced by the 10000s of units. This is not something that your preference will make a difference, it's just basic manufacturing selection. Unless you're producing A LOT of components, it's never going to be made by casting.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 November 2016, 09:58:40 by duynguyenle »
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline gzprime

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 13:04:48 »

Most likely laser/waterjet cut (or slightly less likely: milled plates). You do not, generally speaking, spend the capital to produce dies/moulds for components that are not produced by the 10000s of units. This is not something that your preference will make a difference, it's just basic manufacturing selection. Unless you're producing A LOT of components, it's never going to be made by casting.

Thanks for the info. I dug into this a little more and learned a few more things. I think I was confused on terminology but what I was ultimately getting at was the finished texture and the way the plate feels. Like for example on my WhiteFox, the body of the keyboard and those generic cone feet sold all the time on Massdrop that came with it have different textures. Even the plate on my RS84 has a unique texture - I guess I'm not quite really sure what to call it or what ultimately makes a difference in each of those pieces of aluminum having different finished textures.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 November 2016, 13:11:57 by gzprime »

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 14:41:38 »

Thanks for the info. I dug into this a little more and learned a few more things. I think I was confused on terminology but what I was ultimately getting at was the finished texture and the way the plate feels. Like for example on my WhiteFox, the body of the keyboard and those generic cone feet sold all the time on Massdrop that came with it have different textures. Even the plate on my RS84 has a unique texture - I guess I'm not quite really sure what to call it or what ultimately makes a difference in each of those pieces of aluminum having different finished textures.

The term for that is surface finishing. This can be anodising/powdercoat/airbrushed/wirebrushed/polished/sandblasted, a wealth of options out there. Xondat will be able to clarify exactly what surface finish operations he plans to have done on the plates for this project. If I'm not wrong, the X60 comes with either Al plates which come anodised, or CFRP plates which I don't know if they have any post process/surface finishes applied.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 15:04:54 »
Aluminium is sandblasted then anodised. Stainless steel plates are brushed. Brass and stainless steel weights are polished. Carbon fibre is coated in a clear protective layer.

Offline BetaC

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 08 November 2016, 18:28:07 »
I'd be interested.

Offline gzprime

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 10 November 2016, 02:58:57 »
Aluminium is sandblasted then anodised. Stainless steel plates are brushed. Brass and stainless steel weights are polished. Carbon fibre is coated in a clear protective layer.

:thumb:

Xon, any idea what the most popular color configuration was on the x60?

My body is ready.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 10 November 2016, 04:42:18 »
Any idea what the most popular color configuration was on the x60?
Not sure about combination, but Dark Gray cases were the most popular and Stainless Steel/Red plates tied.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 15 November 2016, 16:42:52 »
Updated my Making Stuff Together thread, which you can read here. This is regarding my future releases; how, what, when etc.

X65 will come before X75, just confirming some information before I officially start a thread or something.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: [IC] 2017 X75
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 07:58:27 »
Bumping this due to the recent amounts of 65% keyboards. It would make no sense to release another 65%, therefore it is likely this will come first. I'm thinking March 1st for now. All information here is up to date as of today.

Offline fatbuffalo

• SQFT
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 08:28:18 »
Cross posting, but these are the plates.

Show Image

Show Image

Universal plates are good, but visually not the best so this is the best solution in my opinion.

What do you think of this bit on the plates?

Show Image

The plate. Not right. Do you take physics in high school?

Offline Rafa_n

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 09:48:00 »
Bumping this due to the recent amounts of 65% keyboards. It would make no sense to release another 65%, therefore it is likely this will come first. I'm thinking March 1st for now. All information here is up to date as of today.

are there only going to be 40 units made?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 10:19:39 »

Show Image

Show Image

Universal plates are good, but visually not the best so this is the best solution in my opinion.

Show Image

This is old and irrelevant.

are there only going to be 40 units made?
Yes for this round. Will be 100 total, but there will be less options and no numbered engravings for the other 60.

Offline fatbuffalo

• SQFT
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 13:04:08 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Sorry, I was talking about the mounting points of the plate?
I am rather new into the game, but the distribution doesn't seem right to me.

Do you have any other good boards with top mounted plate? Have you tried comparing yours to any of those? 
I would suggest you to get one if you don't have any, or try if you haven't.
Your board looks rather normal to me, I suppose the the selling point would be the typing feel.
Again, I might be wrong.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 14:21:56 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Do you have any other good boards with top mounted plate? Have you tried comparing yours to any of those? 
Your board looks rather normal to me, I suppose the the selling point would be the typing feel.
Again, I might be wrong.
X60 is here.  The plates are outdated, they have been changed and are different now - I will find a picture later. There isn't anything wrong with the mounting system you've quoted, but it has been changed.

Offline fatbuffalo

• SQFT
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 19:17:46 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Again, I might be wrong.
X60 is here.  The plates are outdated, they have been changed and are different now - I will find a picture later. There isn't anything wrong with the mounting system you've quoted, but it has been changed.
Don't trouble yourself, I've found it.

Still 3 columns to the side. I would assume you have not seen or tried any others before.
Oh boy, homework is important. You must do them. I mean it not about be a pro, but at least it gives you the logic of how things were done. Or why is it so.
You didn't seem like you have done enough homework. I am worried for people who are interested/bought your board. 

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 19:39:46 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Again, I might be wrong.

Show Image

Still 3 columns to the side. I would assume you have not seen or tried any others before.
Oh boy, homework is important. You must do them. I mean it not about be a pro, but at least it gives you the logic of how things were done. Or why is it so.
You didn't seem like you have done enough homework. I am worried for people who are interested/bought your board.
Get to the point please, you're just sounding rude and patronising.

I think you mean you're worried when pressing down on a key, that the plate will rebound and hit the top. This does not happen with X60, but even knowing that I've changed the design to have the edge mounting points in line with the end column.

Can you message me your opinions and worries if you're joining this buy? If not, then there isn't much point. Thanks.

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 20:16:02 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Again, I might be wrong.

Show Image

Incredibly condescending tone aside, I assume you're worried about the bending moment around the outer corners of the plate when switches are pressed, which is unfounded... Perhaps you should do some homework about how plate/PCB are constructed. You've got rows of switches which clip into the plate at the top and is constrained by the PCB at the bottom via solder joints. In essence, this acts more like a classical example of a honeycomb cored sandwich panels, which displaces the main bending moment carriers (top and bottom plate) away from the neutral axis, increasing the 2nd moment of area and thus improving bending stiffness. If you've handled a fully constructed PCB/plate assembly, you will know that flexing of the assembly when you press on a key is not really an issue, whether or not you have the tip fully supported.

In this particular case, the mounting points essentially acts as dividers, so the idealised load case when you press on a key at the corners is less like a free-edge cantilever, and more like a see-saw (forgot the tecnical term), with the neighbouring 'bays' sharing the loading.

If you see an actual issue with the design, go ahead and point it out directly, instead of beating around the bush in a condescending and impolite tone. You're just being counterproductive, and thus people will end up ignoring you, dismissing whatever you say as crazy rambling of bumbling idiot. If you see a problem with the plate pictured, say what's wrong and have a rational argument to back it up. In other words, don't be a ****.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 January 2017, 20:18:00 by duynguyenle »

Offline smittysteve

• Tea > Coffee. Clack > Thwock.
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 21:20:46 »

Incredibly condescending tone aside, I assume you're worried about the bending moment around the outer corners of the plate when switches are pressed, which is unfounded... Perhaps you should do some homework about how plate/PCB are constructed. You've got rows of switches which clip into the plate at the top and is constrained by the PCB at the bottom via solder joints. In essence, this acts more like a classical example of a honeycomb cored sandwich panels, which displaces the main bending moment carriers (top and bottom plate) away from the neutral axis, increasing the 2nd moment of area and thus improving bending stiffness. If you've handled a fully constructed PCB/plate assembly, you will know that flexing of the assembly when you press on a key is not really an issue, whether or not you have the tip fully supported.

In this particular case, the mounting points essentially acts as dividers, so the idealised load case when you press on a key at the corners is less like a free-edge cantilever, and more like a see-saw (forgot the tecnical term), with the neighbouring 'bays' sharing the loading.

If you see an actual issue with the design, go ahead and point it out directly, instead of beating around the bush in a condescending and impolite tone. You're just being counterproductive, and thus people will end up ignoring you, dismissing whatever you say as crazy rambling of bumbling idiot. If you see a problem with the plate pictured, say what's wrong and have a rational argument to back it up. In other words, don't be a ****.

EXTREMELY well said duynguyenle!!

I'm less than a year into this community too- and one of my favorite things is the willingness of the saltier folks to share knowledge and have interesting discussions about the various boards and materials and designs. I've never been shamed for asking a question - nor have I spouted off like I'm king turd in a thread I'm not even financially invested in.  Fatbuffalo mentioned a few posts back that he's rather new to the game... then proceeded to light up the flamethrower with an undoubtedly condescending tone and line of *cough bull$#it cough* questions. It's an IC for the 75, so no one has skin in the game yet... but come on man.

You've had fair questions asked back of you- what exactly is the problem that you're seeing other than the "distribution doesn't seem quite right." What are your other top-mounted boards of reference you think get it right. If you can help Xondat here, that's awesome and I imaging totally welcomed. That's why designers do IC's - they get useful feedback from people who care. Clearly that's not your aim.

Actually, forget those questions. No one wants to hear you picking a fight in a perfectly nice thread with a designer who's clearly very highly thought of. Look at the roster of those who are waiting on the X60 and ask those folks if they've paid solid money for a classic and gorgeous board - or just another "rather normal" board. I'm one of those with money happily bet on Xondat to deliver a beautiful piece. Thanks kindly for being worried about the way I and many others chose to spend our money... but in the words of my Momma, "it's better to have your nose in a book than someone else's business." Bugger off, homie.

Offline fatbuffalo

• SQFT
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 23:32:58 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Again, I might be wrong.

Show Image

My choice of words are limited. Sorry if I'd sounded rude. If anyone of you happen to have an orion, just try to remove a screw at one of the corner. But then again, it's just me.

Offline r5d

• Reddit: /u/thisman
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 05:23:49 »

Thank you for approx. ETA, enough time to find the money!   :D
I like keyboards

Offline smittysteve

• Tea > Coffee. Clack > Thwock.
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 13:42:18 »

My choice of words are limited. Sorry if I'd sounded rude. If anyone of you happen to have an orion, just try to remove a screw at one of the corner. But then again, it's just me.

Right on, it's all good. Sorry if I was overly harsh too. We'll chalk it up to language barriers!  :cool:

Hope you watch this project come to life and add those constructive thoughts and suggestions. Odds are, this will be a beauty and I don't think you'd regret going in for a Xondat piece. The X60 is my first Noxary GB, but I would highly recommend it. He runs an excellent buy and it's been fun to be along for the ride.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
Re: [IC] 2017 X75 (Likely To Launch Soon)
« Reply #72 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 22:09:32 »
pretty keen for this now that i've seen it :eek:

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #73 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 17:27:16 »
Prototype will turn up during mid February, after building/testing I'll drop a preorder soon after.

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #74 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 19:06:47 »
Prototype will turn up during mid February, after building/testing I'll drop a preorder soon after.

Sweet!

Offline lecorsair

« Reply #75 on: Fri, 27 January 2017, 16:13:49 »
Please consider grey-blue as a color option =)

Offline lac29

« Reply #76 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 15:23:31 »
I'd be interested in this! I'm looking forward to a splitspacebar version of this layout but this is looking good. Photos of the sample would be great!

Offline nothingzzz

« Reply #77 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 06:36:10 »
looking forward to the prototype, very interested in this

Offline darbysuperhack

« Reply #78 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 10:53:43 »
Definitely interested if I can pull together the funds... working on my first build and this looks perfect!

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 12:57:17 »
Quite cool to watch your X-series come together, xondat  :thumb: wish I had more cash to get in on one, who knows.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline poolside

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 13:44:37 »
First Edition:
  • Any Anodizing Color

:eek:

How many General Release boards can we expect to be available?
Will the stainless steel weight and plate be base kit options for these as well?

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #81 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 14:07:53 »
count me in
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #82 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 16:52:52 »
First Edition ($350):
  • Any Anodizing Color
  • Brass Or Stainless Steel Weight with Engraving & Individual Numbering
  • Aluminium, Stainless Steel, Brass, Polycarbonate or Carbon Fiber Plate
  • Limited to 30
General Release ($300):
  • Black, Dark Gray, Silver, or Red Anodizing
  • Brass Weight with Engraving
  • Aluminium or Stainless Steel Plate

If anyone has any suggestions, feedback or anything else about this - comment and let me know! I'm still figuring out this for the most part, and nothing is final so I'd like more opinions.

• How many General Release boards can we expect to be available?
  • Will the stainless steel weight and plate be base kit options for these as well?
  • Not sure, at this point I'm thinking about not limiting it.
  • See above.

Offline Mahm

« Reply #83 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 20:27:54 »
Very interesting. I hope the brass plates will be less limited.

Offline wodan

« Reply #84 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 03:33:35 »
Would also like to see the brass plate as a general relase offering. It's a very popular choice

Custom colors and serial numbers are already plenty of exclusivity for the limited edition :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 February 2017, 04:17:57 by wodan »

Offline maximm

« Reply #85 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 07:49:08 »
Creators Choice ($400):
   Color selected by Xondat
   Weight selected by Xondat
   Plate selected by Xondat
   Limited to 3
   Limited Engraving with Custom engraving from the User

First Edition ($350):
        Brass Or Stainless Steel Weight with Engraving & Individual Numbering
        Brass, Polycarbonate or Carbon Fiber Plate
        Limited to 30

General Release ($300):
        Black, Dark Gray, Silver, or Red Anodizing
        Brass Weight with Engraving
        Aluminium or Stainless Steel Plate

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 09:23:27 »
Good and bad news!

The bad news is that this will start later due to X60 delays. X75 won't open until X60 has been delivered to me.

The good news is that I've been able to lower the pricing on both editions after talks with my manufacturer and our future projects. As long as we're able to meet 100 units or higher with each group buy, then pricing will stay around this price. Buying 100 PCBs compared to lower units also lowers the price so same again on the PCB side. Originally we were looking at $400 and $350, but we're down $75 now.

First Edition ($325):
  • Any Anodizing Color
  • Brass Or Stainless Steel Weight with Engraving & Individual Numbering
  • Aluminium, Stainless Steel, Brass, Polycarbonate or Carbon Fiber Plate
  • Limited to 30
General Release ($275):
  • Black, Dark Gray, Silver, or Red Anodizing
  • Brass Weight with Engraving
  • Aluminium or Stainless Steel Plate
  • Not Limited

Offline r5d

• Reddit: /u/thisman
« Reply #87 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 09:55:34 »
Great news! Price drop is unexpected but welcome :) I am so excited for this keyboard! Will the first edition be FCFS?
I like keyboards

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #88 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 10:03:47 »
Great news! Price drop is unexpected but welcome :) I am so excited for this keyboard! Will the first edition be FCFS?

Most likely, but I have no idea how many entries I'll get as I put this IC out a bit too soon. Might follow this post up with a form to get some idea on numbers or something.

« Reply #89 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 10:55:31 »
Count me in!

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 08:12:44 »
Awesome news.
Will orders be Limited to 1 board per person again this time?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 08:56:25 »
Awesome news.
Will orders be Limited to 1 board per person again this time?
I've never limited it to 1 board per person, and I never will. :p

Offline Tre3Cycl3S

« Reply #92 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 22:39:50 »
Registering my interest for this! Was looking into getting a 75% board for some time now, and this design look really nice. Looking forward to getting one!
QFR           HHKB Pro-2     JD45         VE.A                    XMIT 61-Key       JD40 Mk.II                    Realforce 87U     M65-A                 Custom:Annie      NightFox      Pearl                  E6-V2 R2                          Norbaforce
MX Blue     45g Topre        MX Blue     R5 67g Zealios     50g Hall Effect     Modded Gateron Red     55g Topre           R5 78g Zealios     62g Ergo Grey     Hako True     R9 62g Zilent     Lubed Holy Trash Panda     OG Sony BKE Domes

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 17:56:06 »
This is extremely tempting.

Orange anodization is an option?
There is no such thing as "too much orange."

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #94 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 18:09:56 »
This is extremely tempting.

Orange anodization is an option?

Yup.

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
« Reply #95 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 18:52:15 »
I wonder how orange anodized case + brass plate would look.
Also, how would you describe brass plate in terms of rigidity? More rigid than Stainless Steel or Carbon Fiber?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #96 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 20:11:58 »
I wonder how orange anodized case + brass plate would look.
Also, how would you describe brass plate in terms of rigidity? More rigid than Stainless Steel or Carbon Fiber?
Cannot comment as of yet. Receiving X60 plates in all materials at the same time as this prototype (April 13th).

Leandren has done Orange + Brass here.

Offline fublamchu

• ㅋㅋㅋ
« Reply #97 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 20:23:16 »
Interest registered!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LZ-CE VBlacks
910-CE

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
« Reply #98 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 22:58:02 »

Cannot comment as of yet..
Orange + Brass here.

Ok, I will continue monitoring this thread. If the prototype looks nice, I think I'll stick to this as my future sole board! That orange + brass combo is much better than I had hoped. Definitely getting that.

Offline gzprime

« Reply #99 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 02:37:49 »
The bad news is that this will start later due to X60 delays. X75 won't open until X60 has been delivered to me.

Hi xon. How much later are you guessing since March 1st has come and gone? I really don't want to miss this one.

Do you happen to have examples of the anodizing colors? When I got my last case anodized they had a book of swatches like this: http://imgur.com/MmytRPQ Anything you could share would be greatly appreciated since 'any color' is just a bit nebulous. :D Thanks!