geekhack Projects > Making Stuff Together!

Eyelet Repair

<< < (2/3) > >>

pathfinder:
also i just realized, what on earth kind of form factor is that?

_rubik:

--- Quote from: pathfinder on Sat, 18 September 2021, 15:16:27 ---also i just realized, what on earth kind of form factor is that?

--- End quote ---

The Viterbi is a split ortho 70% board

nevin:
No, you don't have to scrape traces to make a place to solder to.

You jump from the switch leg to the place the trace should have taken the connection to (the diode, or the next switch leg in the row)

Look at the pic I posed. you can see a couple spots where I ran a jumper from the switch leg to the top of the diode. Replacing the broken trace on the pcb. (Ignore the jumper (mess) at the bottom center, that was just a repair when I changed the bottom row layout).
...So you jump the broken trace and go from switch leg to the next pad in the circuit.

If you have smd diodes (tiny black boxes) instead of the orange/glass ones in my pic you can do the same thing IF that's the trace that's broken. You would need to add a little bit of solder to the end of the smd diode, then add in your jumper wire.

But you need to figure out what traces are broken on YOUR board.

And do not use lead free solder. It is soo much harder to work with. Takes a lot more heat to melt, etc. not fun... (regular leaded solder won't hurt you.   .....as long as you don't eat it)

nevin:
this is a pic of the board and the layout i use. (i spread them a lot farther apart than what's in the picture when in use)

pathfinder:

--- Quote from: nevin on Sun, 19 September 2021, 10:37:34 ---No, you don't have to scrape traces to make a place to solder to.

You jump from the switch leg to the place the trace should have taken the connection to (the diode, or the next switch leg in the row)

Look at the pic I posed. you can see a couple spots where I ran a jumper from the switch leg to the top of the diode. Replacing the broken trace on the pcb. (Ignore the jumper (mess) at the bottom center, that was just a repair when I changed the bottom row layout).
...So you jump the broken trace and go from switch leg to the next pad in the circuit.

If you have smd diodes (tiny black boxes) instead of the orange/glass ones in my pic you can do the same thing IF that's the trace that's broken. You would need to add a little bit of solder to the end of the smd diode, then add in your jumper wire.

But you need to figure out what traces are broken on YOUR board.

And do not use lead free solder. It is soo much harder to work with. Takes a lot more heat to melt, etc. not fun... (regular leaded solder won't hurt you.   .....as long as you don't eat it)

--- End quote ---

Hey, I got real busy with school the past few months but finally repaired the board over christmas break. Thanks for your suggestion for doing the jumper method, it seems like it worked well even if it's not the prettiest. some of the broken pads I could see the traces, other could not so I just guessed around using a wire to find what triggered the correct pads.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version