geekhack Community > Keyboards

Best way to spend $500 on a custom board for mac?

(1/5) > >>

iwobobul:
(Edited) Hey, I was looking for recommendations and this place seems suitable to ask. I have $500 budget for the board.

On a mac, looking to get a compact board, but work in software that needs F row and arrows. So I’m looking for a 75-85% board, but am excluding TKL layouts for compactness reasons (need more space for the mouse).

I am on a magic keyboard now. I nejoy the typing experience in general, but the rattly hi-pitch sound bothers me.

I use a TON of shortcuts, so I am looking for a board, where a Cmd (or whatever modifier button) is right under the X button, so I can stretch to reach complicated shortcuts, I cannot map Cmd to Caps Lock.

I need Mac compatibility so I can connect it to different mac computers without having to set it up. As a bonus I want at least some amount of backlight for night work, but that is the lowest priority.

There is currently no such keyboard on the market. and I need to go for a custom project.

Here is my desired layout: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/df2d07605048ad997aa4cb57f397e6db

I am a maker (I make lenses) so I have direct access to CNC, laser cutting facility, etc.

How should I approah this project?

MIGHTY CHICKEN:
The best way to spend $500 would be probably investing or saving instead of buying expensive rectangle :p

lakeboredom:
Obliterated75 is a solid first board. Would recommend more traditional tactile switches though.

iwobobul:

--- Quote from: lakeboredom on Tue, 21 September 2021, 00:44:18 ---Obliterated75 is a solid first board. Would recommend more traditional tactile switches though.

--- End quote ---

Thank you.

One of the considerations I have now is the modifier cluster – I am looking for something that has wide Win, Alt and Ctrl and narrower space. None of the board I've listed seem to offer that tho.

lakeboredom:

--- Quote from: iwobobul on Sun, 26 September 2021, 04:02:57 ---
--- Quote from: lakeboredom on Tue, 21 September 2021, 00:44:18 ---Obliterated75 is a solid first board. Would recommend more traditional tactile switches though.

--- End quote ---

Thank you.

One of the considerations I have now is the modifier cluster – I am looking for something that has wide Win, Alt and Ctrl and narrower space. None of the board I've listed seem to offer that tho.

--- End quote ---
I wouldn't worry so much about getting your perfect layout to that degree. 1.5u mods go with 7u spacebar, it would look off any other way, like those silly cars with truck beds.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version