Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3525309 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #3150 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 21:25:06 »
Y U so new?

I blame you. Why didn't you tell me about this place before?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #3151 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 21:26:51 »
I'm sorry... v(T_Tv)

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #3152 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 01:06:32 »
The tabs that hold the wire for the spacebar stabilizers protrude, making it difficult to fit it in the case without damaging it. I was wondering if there was a mod to make it fit in the case.
I honestly have no idea. WhiteFireDragon should be able to answer your question though. You can wait here for his reply if he sees this, ask in his Poker 2 Review thread, or PM him.

I've been summoned. You can file the lower part sticking out, or the case. Recommended to file the stabilizers since those are replaceable if you mess up, the case is not.

And no, litster's video does not apply here. Clipping those stabilizer pins is to make them feel more crisp, not for case fitment.

What type of diodes do I need for these pcbs? Kitty pad and 38gt from gon.

Show Image
Show Image

There are 3 ways to mount the diodes: inswitch, SMD, and through-hole. THESE are the through-hole ones you'd want, and THESE are SMD ones that I personally use for all korean builds. I bought a whole reel so have about 2k left. Those SMD ones I linked can be used on every Korean keyboard, as well as ergodox. Other keyboards use different SMD diodes. Size and soldering of diode just linked, as well as other SMD diode types:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpj3tilIaik&feature=share&list=PL00EjuPMbgnJjsuSKyX9OkrKG2NvuHzgX

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3153 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 06:04:09 »
Hey it worked! Thanks WhiteFireDragon!  :))

Offline deazncy

« Reply #3154 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 15:07:11 »
The tabs that hold the wire for the spacebar stabilizers protrude, making it difficult to fit it in the case without damaging it. I was wondering if there was a mod to make it fit in the case.
I honestly have no idea. WhiteFireDragon should be able to answer your question though. You can wait here for his reply if he sees this, ask in his Poker 2 Review thread, or PM him.

I've been summoned. You can file the lower part sticking out, or the case. Recommended to file the stabilizers since those are replaceable if you mess up, the case is not.

And no, litster's video does not apply here. Clipping those stabilizer pins is to make them feel more crisp, not for case fitment.

What type of diodes do I need for these pcbs? Kitty pad and 38gt from gon.

Show Image
Show Image

There are 3 ways to mount the diodes: inswitch, SMD, and through-hole. THESE are the through-hole ones you'd want, and THESE are SMD ones that I personally use for all korean builds. I bought a whole reel so have about 2k left. Those SMD ones I linked can be used on every Korean keyboard, as well as ergodox. Other keyboards use different SMD diodes. Size and soldering of diode just linked, as well as other SMD diode types:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpj3tilIaik&feature=share&list=PL00EjuPMbgnJjsuSKyX9OkrKG2NvuHzgX

TYVM WhiteFireDragon!
“Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” -Bruce Lee

Offline naokira

• The King in the North
« Reply #3155 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 21:42:00 »
So I'm planning to install leds to my Poker II. Then I saw WFD's Kmac assembly and in the moment he installs the led, he said that it needs to be shaved a little in the bottom. (Go in 18:30 to see
)

So is there any kind of leds that are sale on ebay that I can install WITHOUT shaving? I don't have the tools to do that  :-X
FaceW in LZ-CE

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3156 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 21:43:57 »
So I'm planning to install leds to my Poker II. Then I saw WFD's Kmac assembly and in the moment he installs the led, he said that it needs to be shaved a little in the bottom. (Go in 18:30 to see
)

So is there any kind of leds that are sale on ebay that I can install WITHOUT shaving? I don't have the tools to do that  :-X

I used 2x3x4mm water clear LEDs on my Pure PCB and they drop in perfectly with no needing to do anything like that.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3157 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 21:44:15 »
Get flat squared ones that look like these.

I love Elzy

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3158 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 21:54:47 »
Get flat squared ones that look like these.

Show Image

Those are the 2x3x4mm LEDs.  It's easier to search for them by dimension than rectangular or square LEDs.

Offline naokira

• The King in the North
« Reply #3159 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 21:59:13 »
Thanks Nubb and Sifo :) I thought everyone does that lol.
FaceW in LZ-CE

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #3160 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 23:18:26 »
Does anyone know about how thick the finish is on a powder coated piece?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3161 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 23:31:35 »

Depends on the piece.  It was pretty thick on my plate for my RK9000, at least one or two mm thick.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3162 on: Sat, 20 July 2013, 01:08:28 »

Depends on the piece.  It was pretty thick on my plate for my RK9000, at least one or two mm thick.

For just the finish?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3163 on: Sat, 20 July 2013, 01:16:09 »
Powder coat is sprayed on and heated up to the flow point.  It can be pretty thick when it's put on and it was at least a mil thick on my RK9000 plate.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #3164 on: Sat, 20 July 2013, 03:05:53 »
Powercoat thickness varies, depending on how much powder is sprayed on when there is a current. It can be thin or thick, but 1-2mm thick is just absurd. I have a desolered Rosewill RK9000 too, and it's not even close to 1mm thick.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3165 on: Sat, 20 July 2013, 03:08:05 »
alright just trying to figure out how much clearance i should leave between parts for my mill work to be done with my custom case.  IE having a plate slide into a slot but both pieces are going to be powder coated.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3166 on: Sat, 20 July 2013, 03:11:05 »
Powercoat thickness varies, depending on how much powder is sprayed on when there is a current. It can be thin or thick, but 1-2mm thick is just absurd. I have a desolered Rosewill RK9000 too, and it's not even close to 1mm thick.

Went a little hyperbolic on the 2mm end, but I swear it was 1mm thick or a hair under. 

Offline cgbuen

• cgbuen.io
« Reply #3167 on: Sat, 20 July 2013, 21:47:04 »
Quick color questions:

1. Is Realforce White the same as the white in the HHKB two-tone set?

2. What's the closest SP color code to the white used in the Cherry two-tone? (source) I'm looking for a 7x spacebar to go with a BSP set I got from sherryton. [[EDIT: I just realized someone else asked this same question in this thread a while back but without much luck.]] I hear the cream cheese in CCnG R1 was a decent match but haven't seen too many pictures or could figure out what color code was used.

3a. What's the closest SP color code to the imsto gray? (source) I'm looking for a 7x spacebar to have a set that looks a lot like what's in that picture.
3b. In that picture, is that a Dolch spacebar? That may be sufficient for me to get, and maybe I won't have to seek out a specific color code.
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 July 2013, 21:50:48 by cgbuen »

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #3168 on: Sat, 20 July 2013, 22:46:43 »
I tried looking through the site a bit to find an answer, but it seems maybe my question is too basic for someone to have thought to ask it before.
So I've been into mechanical keyboards for awhile, and recently bought a custom layout WASDKeyboard for my wife. Now, I made a few mistakes on the original, and just got some replacement keys sent out to her. This included some larger keys, four with stabilizer wires. Now, she replaced two of the keycaps without a problem, but both shift keys, when she puts the new ones on, are sticking, to the point where they're rendered pretty unusable. I'm stationed in Korea, and not physically there to help her, so any suggestions, or links to tutorials that might help us out, I'd really appreciate it.
"I seek a great warrior" - Luke Skywalker
"Great Warrior, Hmm? War does not make one great." - Master Jedi Yoda

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3169 on: Sat, 20 July 2013, 22:48:29 »
Did she put the inserts in the right way? 99% of the time with these costar stabilizers, that is the issue. Make sure the part of the insert that sticks out faces away from her.

WASD actually has an official video guide over here:
I love Elzy

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #3170 on: Sat, 20 July 2013, 23:06:56 »
Bam.

Problem fixed.

Thanks, Sifo.

And that's why I love Geekhack.
"I seek a great warrior" - Luke Skywalker
"Great Warrior, Hmm? War does not make one great." - Master Jedi Yoda

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3171 on: Sat, 20 July 2013, 23:08:01 »
Another contribution to the 99%.
I love Elzy

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3172 on: Sat, 20 July 2013, 23:16:45 »
Quick color questions:

1. Is Realforce White the same as the white in the HHKB two-tone set?

2. What's the closest SP color code to the white used in the Cherry two-tone? (source) I'm looking for a 7x spacebar to go with a BSP set I got from sherryton. [[EDIT: I just realized someone else asked this same question in this thread a while back but without much luck.]] I hear the cream cheese in CCnG R1 was a decent match but haven't seen too many pictures or could figure out what color code was used.

3a. What's the closest SP color code to the imsto gray? (source) I'm looking for a 7x spacebar to have a set that looks a lot like what's in that picture.
3b. In that picture, is that a Dolch spacebar? That may be sufficient for me to get, and maybe I won't have to seek out a specific color code.

I don't have any of those so I can't do the comparison myself by try checking this thread and then comparing your stuff to the chips.

Offline UniClown

« Reply #3173 on: Sun, 21 July 2013, 21:09:59 »
What is an original cherry ds keyboard with F-keys on the left side. Looking for a model number.
Something similar to this Commodore PC-5 but hopefully beige colored.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #3174 on: Mon, 22 July 2013, 12:05:14 »
Uniclown, a few...
Cherry G80-0929H**
Cherry G80-0528HAU
Cherry G80-0915H** (later version of the Commodore that is AT PC compatible unlike the older 0499)
Cherry G80-2100H**
Most of which are probably going to be a challenge to find, especially for a good price. Also there are the G80-25** models which have the keys in the proper location but they are assigned to other things, may be possible to swap controller and do as you wish and probably easiest models to find for good price.

There are some other MX based ones like Dah Yang (aka Unitek, aka Chieh Tsu) that you might be able to find for a good deal which may be sufficient. Happy hunting.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 July 2013, 12:08:18 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #3175 on: Mon, 22 July 2013, 13:22:16 »
How does this CC email thing work? He uses throwaway addresses for specific sales, which are posted at the end of the countdown? At which point everyone furiously copy pastes into their message?

Or does he use the same one every time?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3176 on: Mon, 22 July 2013, 13:23:06 »
How does this CC email thing work? He uses throwaway addresses for specific sales, which are posted at the end of the countdown? At which point everyone furiously copy pastes into their message?

Or does he use the same one every time?

He posts an email before the sale and then you email it at the correct time which is listed in the timer.

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #3177 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 10:13:29 »
Where can I contact the manufacturer for custom springs? I am planning to find some super stiff springs...
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3178 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 10:18:50 »
Am I one of the few people that doesn't care for the layered cases?   Don't know why, just not a fan of the layers either all the same material or different materials.  Am I just that different?

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #3179 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 12:04:39 »
Where can I contact the manufacturer for custom springs? I am planning to find some super stiff springs...

You need something stiffer than clear springs?

I've tried in the past, and it won't be cheap. Springs are made from a CNC, and the run time and setup is very expensive. You'll have to get at least a few thousand for reasonable costs per spring. You'll also have to provide exact specs of the springs you want to make.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3180 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 12:07:51 »
1) Where can I contact the manufacturer for custom springs? I am planning to find some super stiff springs...
2) Springs are made from a CNC

1) Have you tried the ballpoint pen spring mod?
2) CNC a spring?? I doubt that very much. It's probably a specialty spring machine. There's round stock that is put through many dies and then a special forming machine. I don't think you can CNC springs. I don't think it's a very efficient way to make a spring.

Am I one of the few people that doesn't care for the layered cases?   Don't know why, just not a fan of the layers either all the same material or different materials.  Am I just that different?

Personal preference? I've never heard of a strong contingent either way. There's people that like and don't like.
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 July 2013, 12:13:47 by CPTBadAss »

Offline linziyi

« Reply #3181 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 17:37:25 »
:O ballpen spring! Then I need to collect a good amount of pens for the project :)
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #3182 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 17:56:53 »
Dude you probably don't want that, ballpen springs are way too heavy for all keys, you probably won't be a able to write on it more than a few sentences, they are almost thrice as heavy as Clears (comparing actuation forces from the DT wiki). I would suggest ordering some MX Greys (tactile or linear, both have the same actuation forces) from 7bit on Deskthority and farming the springs from them, they actuate at 80cn in comparison to the 55cn from Clears.

Offline linziyi

« Reply #3183 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 18:01:31 »
Dude you probably don't want that, ballpen springs are way too heavy for all keys, you probably won't be a able to write on it more than a few sentences, they are almost thrice as heavy as Clears (comparing actuation forces from the DT wiki). I would suggest ordering some MX Greys (tactile or linear, both have the same actuation forces) from 7bit on Deskthority and farming the springs from them, they actuate at 80cn in comparison to the 55cn from Clears.

I am typing on greens now but they still feel a little bit light for me...
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #3184 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 18:11:03 »
I am typing on greens now but they still feel a little bit light for me...
That's some strong fingers you got there. The problem is that Super Blacks are almost twice as heavy as Greens again, and the ballpoint modded blacks are even stiffer (depending on the spring of course). Try the ballpoint mod one one or two keys first before you buy a hundred pens. Also, short the spring from the pen to the length of a normal MX spring, else you risk the switch breaking apart or scattering into pieces because of the pressure.
If you really like that and do a full keyboard with it I'm impressed.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3185 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 18:12:06 »
Rofl. I really like where this is going.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #3186 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 18:56:05 »
Why not just get MX Whites?  They would be the next step up. 
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #3187 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 18:57:10 »
MX Whites should have the same strength as Greens, so no.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3188 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 18:58:00 »
Migrate discussion if we're going to continue this please.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #3189 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 21:06:35 »
Does anybody have any idea on how to program the LED ON button for A.87 Rev3?

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #3190 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 14:52:14 »
1) Where can I contact the manufacturer for custom springs? I am planning to find some super stiff springs...

2) CNC a spring?? I doubt that very much. It's probably a specialty spring machine. There's round stock that is put through many dies and then a special forming machine. I don't think you can CNC springs. I don't think it's a very efficient way to make a spring.

On GH, many of us hear about CNC mills to make cases. But different types of CNC machines make springs, which are needed for reproducibly, accuracy, and consistency. Definitely not cheap for a low production of less than 1k springs. Here is an example of such machine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzTxzI_Hjrs

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3191 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 14:57:47 »
On GH, many of us hear about CNC mills to make cases. But different types of CNC machines make springs, which are needed for reproducibly, accuracy, and consistency. Definitely not cheap for a low production of less than 1k springs. Here is an example of such machine:

Sorry. You're right. Read CNC and thought mills instantly. That's the machine I was thinking of.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #3192 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 15:02:27 »
here is a question

Can i buy cherry stabs, either(or both) plate and PCB mount, from anywhere...like right now?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3193 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 15:03:38 »
here is a question

Can i buy cherry stabs, either(or both) plate and PCB mount, from anywhere...like right now?

Answer is in the OP. Also WhiskyTango is selling some at the moment I believe.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #3194 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 15:16:38 »
here is a question

Answer is in the OP. Also WhiskyTango is selling some at the moment I believe.

doh, i just became one of "those guys"

thanks

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #3195 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 15:35:46 »

I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to get over 1k springs ordered...  Sell them in packs of 100.

Offline phx

« Reply #3196 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 17:16:11 »
so if Ergo Clear is slider from clear and spring from brown, then how is it different than a brown switch? I thought the only difference between brown and clear is the strength of the spring. the only difference I notice between the 2 stems is that the tactile bump on the clear is maybe more noticeable.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3197 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 17:18:56 »
You answered your own question. The Clear's bump will be more noticeable. I don't think the stems are the same.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #3198 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 22:32:52 »
so if Ergo Clear is slider from clear and spring from brown, then how is it different than a brown switch? I thought the only difference between brown and clear is the strength of the spring. the only difference I notice between the 2 stems is that the tactile bump on the clear is maybe more noticeable.

Just noticed your location--we might be neighbors!

I have both Clears and Browns, and they are very different--not just because of the spring.  My ergo-Clears feel different from Browns, even when I tried 55g springs.  The bump in Clears is a lot more pronounced.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3199 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 23:01:22 »
yup its a lot larger bump in the slider