Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3503569 times)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #4900 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 16:33:00 »
What is this wizardry?

Show Image

That is pretty close to a perfect layout IMO.  You get everything you get from a 104 layout, but in a 75% layout.  Thats a 6x spacebar right?  Can it be easily replaced?  Shouldn't be too hard to get replacement keycaps for this (other than maybe right shift)?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4901 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 16:53:50 »
What is this wizardry?

Show Image

That is pretty close to a perfect layout IMO.  You get everything you get from a 104 layout, but in a 75% layout.  Thats a 6x spacebar right?  Can it be easily replaced?  Shouldn't be too hard to get replacement keycaps for this (other than maybe right shift)?

6x spacebars can be found on some Cherry keyboards I think.

Offline ithinkimkorean

« Reply #4902 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 17:16:46 »
Does the post office give me the bubbley envelope when I send keycaps? Do they print out the sticker on front for me? I never sent anything in the post before.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #4903 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 17:17:27 »
Can costar stabs be swapped into a board that has plate mount cherry stabs?

Also does the filco maj2 come with cherry or costar?

I would assume that if the stabs will swap that it will require full desoldering?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4904 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 17:19:29 »
Does the post office give me the bubbley envelope when I send keycaps? Do they print out the sticker on front for me? I never sent anything in the post before.

I think you can buy a bubble mailer, I do not think they will give you one. And yes they can print the postage for you. Or you can save a few dollars and do it at home.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #4905 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 17:20:45 »

I would assume that if the stabs will swap that it will require full desoldering?

MJ2 has costar stabs. I don't know about the swapping.

You have to buy the envelope yourself, but they're not that expensive. I buy mine for $.89
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #4906 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 17:21:18 »
What is this wizardry?

Show Image

Looks to be a 5.5x spacebar, not 6x.

Top row : 16(1x)
Bottom row : 6(1.25x) + 3(1x) + spacebar
-> 7.5+3+spacebar
->10.5+spacebar
->10.5+5.5
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline ithinkimkorean

« Reply #4907 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 17:21:33 »

I think you can buy a bubble mailer, I do not think they will give you one. And yes they can print the postage for you. Or you can save a few dollars and do it at home.

Cool thanks. I'm weird and get nervous if it is my first time doing anything. Even if it is simple.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #4908 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 17:21:38 »

You buy the packaging and then go up to the guy and he will stamp it and you pay him.
Most post offices have bubble envelopes to buy

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #4909 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 17:23:18 »

Filco comes with costar stab.

I think Ducky and Filco are very similar structure wise and Ducky have cherry stab so I guess there is a way to swap the stab. Why do you want to swap them though?
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #4910 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 17:28:25 »

MJ2 has costar stabs. I don't know about the swapping.

You have to buy the envelope yourself, but they're not that expensive. I buy mine for $.89

Thanks for the info.  I had the wife try the ducky I bought my aunt and she does not like cherry stabs.

Funny not I had her try the flipped space bar.  She set her hands on the keys, typed a word, hit the space bar.  She then jerked her hands up to her chest and let out a not that quiet "EWWW".
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #4911 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 17:29:16 »
Costar and cherry stabs are typically not swappable from my experience.  Depends on the plate.  Most Korean customs only support Cherry PCB mounted stabs, GH60 can support either, or only Cherry depending on which plate you use.  If I recall correctly Costar stabs don't work with LED's

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4912 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 17:30:27 »
1) Can costar stabs be swapped into a board that has plate mount cherry stabs?

2) Also does the filco maj2 come with cherry or costar?

1) Holes aren't the same shape (I think) or spacing. When I asked the same question to WFD about modding my FC700R, he showed this.

2) Costar. That's what I have at work.

Wow, you all are snipers. Sniper no sniping!

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #4913 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 17:56:35 »
Thanks again guys I was wondering about the stab swapping in case the filco I ordered for the wife had cherry stabs.

Offline Larken

« Reply #4914 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 20:37:48 »
I recently rebuilt my filco, and was considering to swap in plate mounted cherry stabs instead of going with costar stabs. I can confirm that the stock won't take cherry stabs at all.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #4915 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 12:49:25 »
I'm very tempted to join in on Sprit's 75% GB atm but my question is do I need to solder in diodes and a teensy thingy?

This would be my first project board and I'm a soldering nub, I've only soldered a few Alps switches before, lol.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4916 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 12:51:34 »
I'm very tempted to join in on Sprit's 75% GB atm but my question is do I need to solder in diodes and a teensy thingy?

Honestly don't know. Ask Sprit in his thread. His PCB has an ATMega 32AU controller so no need for a Teensy. I think you might need diodes.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 November 2013, 12:53:48 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #4917 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 12:52:56 »

This would be my first project board and I'm a soldering nub, I've only soldered a few Alps switches before, lol.
no, you don't
all the pcbs that sprit is offering are presoldered (you only need to solder the switches)
github

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #4918 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 12:53:53 »

no, you don't
all the pcbs that sprit is offering are presoldered (you only need to solder the switches)

Sold, thanks Photekq, where is everyone getting their switches from?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4919 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 12:55:04 »

no, you don't

Where are you getting this info from Photekq? Link please. Switches can be found in the classifieds, MK.com, Mouser, and other online electrical components places. There's a list of part numbers in the OP you can use to search for switches if you're not looking in the Classifieds or from 7bit on DT.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #4920 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 12:56:04 »
originative has blues, browns, blacks. mechanicalkeyboards has clears.

Where are you getting this info from Photekq? Link please. Switches can be found in the classifieds, MK.com, Mouser, and other online electrical components places. There's a list of part numbers in the OP you can use to search for switches if you're not looking in the Classifieds or from 7bit on DT.
from here, sir.
*All PCBs are  1.6T Thick PCB, ANSI+ISO, All and All ! SMDs are Factory pre-soldered

github

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #4921 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 12:58:19 »
I was hesitant to post these questions in his GB since they're nubbish questions, thanks capt & photekq.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #4922 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 13:17:27 »
What are the stabilizers called that are in the old Cherry G80 (dolch pac) keyboards called? Also, can those be installed on the 75% pcb I'm getting from Sprit's GB?

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #4923 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 13:24:12 »
What are the stabilizers called that are in the old Cherry G80 (dolch pac) keyboards called? Also, can those be installed on the 75% pcb I'm getting from Sprit's GB?
Cherry PCB mount. The MX-MiniU does support them, so I am guessing the MX-MiniW will too (the one sprit will be selling)

You should probably ask sprit himself for confirmation :) drop him a pm or post in the thread
github

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #4924 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 15:12:20 »
Cherry PCB mount. The MX-MiniU does support them, so I am guessing the MX-MiniW will too (the one sprit will be selling)

You should probably ask sprit himself for confirmation :) drop him a pm or post in the thread
It does, actually that is the only supported stabilizer similar to most other Korean customs.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 November 2013, 15:15:54 by MKULTRA »

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #4925 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 19:11:54 »
A couple questions...

1) Is it possible to get a drop in replacement controller for my Filco MJ2 TKL to make it programmable?
I have heard of controllers like the 'HID Liberation Device' and 'Pegasus Hoof', but I don't know if either of those are drop in replacements for the filco controller, or how to go about trying to find one if it is.  Does anyone know how I would go about getting a replacement controller for my Filco TKL to make programmable?

2) I know that my Filco has plate mounted switches.  I also know that the filco plate does not have the cutouts that make switch top removal possible without desoldering.  Is there a plate available that I can buy somewhere that will fit my filco tkl that has the cutouts?  Will a Phantom plate work on a Filco?  Was there more than one Phantom plate designed and made?  I saw The_Beast mention in his WTS thread that his Phantom plate has ears.  If the ears do not fit in a filco, can I just use a grinder and remove them?

If I am going to mod my Filco to change the plate so I can easily change switches without desoldering and potentially change the controller so I can make it programmable, is there anything else I need to know?

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #4926 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 19:13:36 »
A couple questions...

1) Is it possible to get a drop in replacement controller for my Filco MJ2 TKL to make it programmable?
I have heard of controllers like the 'HID Liberation Device' and 'Pegasus Hoof', but I don't know if either of those are drop in replacements for the filco controller, or how to go about trying to find one if it is.  Does anyone know how I would go about getting a replacement controller for my Filco TKL to make programmable?

2) I know that my Filco has plate mounted switches.  I also know that the filco plate does not have the cutouts that make switch top removal possible without desoldering.  Is there a plate available that I can buy somewhere that will fit my filco tkl that has the cutouts?  Will a Phantom plate work on a Filco?  Was there more than one Phantom plate designed and made?  I saw The_Beast mention in his WTS thread that his Phantom plate has ears.  If the ears do not fit in a filco, can I just use a grinder and remove them?

If I am going to mod my Filco to change the plate so I can easily change switches without desoldering and potentially change the controller so I can make it programmable, is there anything else I need to know?
I don't know about the first question so I will answer your second question, Phantom plates will fit in your Filco.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4927 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 19:37:05 »
A couple questions...

2) Will a Phantom plate work on a Filco? 

3) Was there more than one Phantom plate designed and made? 

4) I saw The_Beast mention in his WTS thread that his Phantom plate has ears.  If the ears do not fit in a filco, can I just use a grinder and remove them?

5) If I am going to mod my Filco to change the plate so I can easily change switches without desoldering and potentially change the controller so I can make it programmable, is there anything else I need to know?

1) Yes, you'll need an HID Liberation Controller. Think you need to hunt the Classifieds for this one. bpiphany has other controllers for a QFR, Rosewill, and Full Size Filco which are for sale here.

2) Yes, MKULTRA is correct.

3) Yes, think we're up to Round 2 of the plates right now. I can't find the links though.

4) Seems like it should be fine, see the discussion here

5) Be careful :P. Seriously, I don't think there's any thing too crazy you need to know.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #4928 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 20:31:32 »
A couple questions...

4) I saw The_Beast mention in his WTS thread that his Phantom plate has ears.  If the ears do not fit in a filco, can I just use a grinder and remove them?

5) If I am going to mod my Filco to change the plate so I can easily change switches without desoldering and potentially change the controller so I can make it programmable, is there anything else I need to know?

1) Yes, you'll need an HID Liberation Controller. Think you need to hunt the Classifieds for this one. bpiphany has other controllers for a QFR, Rosewill, and Full Size Filco which are for sale here.

3) Yes, think we're up to Round 2 of the plates right now. I can't find the links though.

5) Be careful :P. Seriously, I don't think there's any thing too crazy you need to know.

Actually we are up to round three.  Round 1 was aluminum and round 2 plates were stainless

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #4929 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 21:38:20 »
A couple questions...

I really appreciate you all taking the time to answer my questions.  Thank you for the links, they were very helpful.

I was also wondering what the difference was between the 'HID Liberation Device' and the 'Pegasus Hoof' and I found this in one of the threads you linked.

Pegasus Hoof different than HID Liberation Device?

32U2 instead of 32U4.

I think I was reading somewhere (probably the Epsilon thread) that the 32U4 was better.  I think it has more memory or something?  I think I read somewhere that some of the firmware only supports one of those.  I think it was jdcarpe who mentioned it and it was probably regarding the TMK firmware.  I will need to do some more research on this.  Looking at one of the screenshots from the keymap tool that came out of the Epsilon project, it appears that his tool supports both, but I will have to confirm that.

Thanks for getting me going on that...

@Capt'n: I saw in one of your links that you were planning to attempt to mod your stock filco plate with a dremel to add the cutouts.  Did you end up doing that, and if so, how did it work out?  Anything worth noting?

Thanks for the help guys.  Im off to do more research...  :)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4930 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 21:43:56 »
I was also wondering what the difference was between the 'HID Liberation Device' and the 'Pegasus Hoof' and I found this in one of the threads you linked.

HID only works for the Filco TKL boards. Pegasus Hoof only works for the full size Filcos.

@Capt'n: I saw in one of your links that you were planning to attempt to mod your stock filco plate with a dremel to add the cutouts.  Did you end up doing that, and if so, how did it work out?  Anything worth noting?

Thanks for the help guys.  Im off to do more research...  :)

I haven't done it because I've decided I'm keeping my Filco switches stock. Just going to drop in a new controller. Sorry I didn't do anything else. Feel free to ask more questions when you stumble upon things XD.'

And I'm happy to help, you're welcome!
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 November 2013, 21:47:32 by CPTBadAss »

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #4931 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 21:49:46 »

HID only works for the Filco TKL boards. Pegasus Hoof only works for the full size Filcos.

Are you sure?  This post and this post seem to imply that it works on the Filco TKL.  However, I am not sure which firmwares work with either yet.  Still researching...

Edit: I wonder if there might be different versions of those controllers with different capabilities.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 November 2013, 21:51:43 by swill »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4932 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 21:52:08 »
Oh crap you're right. I didn't realize he released an upgrade. My bad man!

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #4933 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 21:55:36 »
Oh crap you're right. I didn't realize he released an upgrade. My bad man!

No worries.  :)  You have been extremely helpful.  You linked a different post in that thread which is what got me to that info to start with.   :thumb:

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #4934 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 08:07:15 »
Does the Geekhackers PS2 to USB converter make keyboards hot-swappable?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4935 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 08:14:34 »

I've only tested it on my SSK so YMMV but it makes my SSK hot-swappable.

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #4936 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 12:30:59 »

I've only tested it on my SSK so YMMV but it makes my SSK hot-swappable.

Cool, thanks.

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #4937 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 16:14:21 »
Does anyone know if the keyboard rooftops for the ten keyless keyboards fit the CoolerMaster keyboards? Elitekeyboards sells them and i was thinking of picking one up. Thanks.  :D

Offline stancato9

« Reply #4938 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 22:10:51 »
Excuse the ignorance but what are these keycaps?

http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww18/y3ma/2012-08-16111408.jpg
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4939 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 22:12:13 »

Usually referred to as White on Beige. Can get em off old Cherry boards or new From Originative.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #4940 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 22:13:02 »

Original Cherry black on beige w/ SP moogle kit... Originative sells a GMK version (exact replica, same moulds) that comes with a GMK moogle kit.

Beat me to it cpt
github

Offline stancato9

« Reply #4941 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 22:13:52 »
I figured they were cherry. Thanks guys.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline 5traus

« Reply #4942 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 22:24:50 »
Really dumb question, but i have a kbt race keyboard and i noticed the ece switch on the bottom of the board. What does this switch do?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #4943 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 22:26:44 »
Really dumb question, but i have a kbt race keyboard and i noticed the ece switch on the bottom of the board. What does this switch do?

Good on you for asking.

I have no idea what it does!

DON'T FLIP IT WHILE YOUR KEYBOARD IS PLUGGED IN.

:3
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4944 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 22:28:23 »

See this picture. It's dip switches that let you change the functionality of the board.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #4945 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 10:21:02 »
What type of resistors are needed for LEDs with:
Forward Voltage (V) : 3.0 ~ 3.2
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #4946 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 10:36:51 »

Assuming 30mA, a 68 Ohm resistor.  If it's 20mA, 120 Ohm.  USB is 5v, so that's the voltage you're dropping down from.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.  Those are the numbers I've worked off of when doing my own non-keyboard LED stuff, so I just calculated it on the voltage USB provides.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 November 2013, 10:38:45 by nubbinator »

Offline stancato9

« Reply #4947 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 10:41:05 »

Assuming 30mA, a 68 Ohm resistor.  If it's 20mA, 120 Ohm.  USB is 5v, so that's the voltage you're dropping down from.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.  Those are the numbers I've worked off of when doing my own non-keyboard LED stuff, so I just calculated it on the voltage USB provides.

This is the link that I bought from.

For some reason the mA they draw is not listed :S

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/100pcs-2x3x4mm-Rectangle-White-Water-Clear-LED-Light-Leds-/320999089508?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4abd096564&_uhb=1
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #4948 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 10:44:31 »
Those should be 20mA.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #4949 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 10:45:49 »
Well if you compare with a similar LED such as here:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/100pcs-2x3x4mm-Pink-Water-Clear-LED-Lamp-With-12V-Free-Resistors-234P-td-/390631308376?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5af370bc58&_uhb=1

These say they have a current rating of 30mA and I assumed pink and white are on a similar scale.
Poker 2 - MX Red