Author Topic: Keycap box or tray designers needed!  (Read 4533 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Keycap box or tray designers needed!
« on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 10:37:44 »

Hello Folks!

I just came up with this idea.

Most of us have hundreds of keycaps that we need to store.

Most of us don’t have hundreds of dollars to store keycaps after we’ve already spent said hundreds of dollars on new keyboards and keycaps.

Most of us don’t need fancy jewellery boxes to keep clacks and brobots and what not. We just want something that can organize our keycaps in comprehensible fashion. I don’t want to stuff everything in a baggie or a drawer; I want some kind of flat box with lots of compartments that I can just open and pick out numeric 1 or w right away.

I’ve tried to make my own boxes, but I am a true nerd (not just geek) and I am so klutzy that the dimensions were all wrong. Including my failure to do something as basic as accounting for margins when folding cardboard.

I would like to suggest that somebody very nice with some basic skills and a few hours work out designs for idiot proof do-it-yourself keycap boxes. Then post these online. I may be a nerd, but I am not an idiot, and anything idiot-proof is me-proof. I’m sure I can download these things, trace them out on cardboard or hard paper, fold and cut and get my own decent looking keycap tray/box.

Anyone up for this?
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Re: Keycap box or tray designers needed!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 10:41:18 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42367.0

There has been interest in just this.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 10:49:20 »
I store my caps in a $5 tackle box. Nothing fancy but it just works
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 10:54:04 »
esoomenona, I did see that thread and posted on it also.

But seriously, do you want to pay like $6 for some cardboard flown in from China? Don't you have tons of cardboard at home? I do; I just don't have very good skills/ designs/ measurements so my constructions look crude and ugly.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42367.0

There has been interest in just this.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 10:56:11 »
If you want a step up from a tacklebox, the Container Store has a lot of boxes that fit what you want. Check out this thread and this one. There's also this new IC from martinyeah.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 16:17:06 »
So you don't want to pay a minimal amount of money for someone to do something you can't do yourself, yet you try to make a comparison between the two?