Author Topic: [IC] ePBT Secret Agent  (Read 21817 times)

Offline syntx

• I must be dreaming
[IC] ePBT Secret Agent
« on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 13:46:05 »

The Set Name is Agent, Secret Agent.

The day I watched my favorite movie series for the 7th time I realized I had to make a keycap set out of the colors, so here we are:

This set is inspired by a suit from a golden movie of my favorite agent. Ever since I was a kid, I've been a big fan of agents.
I have my own collections of gadgets and exhibits and wanted to create my own keycap set together with this agent theme. I am so proud to share my progress with you today

Please let me know your opinions, either in the comments or on Discord. Also feel free to check out the IC form

The project is currently on hold, due to ePBT updating their GB rules

Kit Renders

Board Renders

Ikki68 Aurora by Wuque Studio

Maja by Vulcan

QAZ by Whydobearsxplod

Gentleman65 by JKeys Design

More
Fuji65 by CMM Studio (To show Deskmats)

Deskmats

Vendors

GB ETA: 2022
AS/GLOBAL: KBDFans
EU: Candykeys
USA: Thockeys
UK: Proto[typist]
CA: Deskhero
AUS: Dailyclack
SEA: Zionstudios

Pricing

Collaborations

Please feel free to message me on Geekhack or Discord (syntx.#6221) for collaborations!

Colors
Please be aware that the colors will look different in the real world than when captured with a camera. They also differ from monitor to monitor. I try my best to display the colors, but if you want to be 100% sure what the colors look like, you will have to buy your own RAL color deck.

More
All photos were taken with an Iphone 13 Pro (Max)
Colors: RAL 5001 (Accent), RAL 7021 (Mods), RAL 7045 (Alphas)
Note: As of now, the updated GB Rules from ePBT state that color matching will take place before the GB, so i will post pictures of the future process too.

Normal Lighting (~4000K/ Warm light)

Bright Lighting (~6000K/ Cold Light)

Low Light (~3000K/ Warm Light)

Sunlight, Germany ~5:30pm/ afternoon

FAQ
Q: Is this GMK Mercury?
A: No, the colors are slightly different, as well as the accents. I also talked with kekaiyo (Designer of GMK Mercury)

Q: Ok, but the Name is stolen from GMK Agent 01 !!???
A: Also no, plus I again talked with the designer. The colorway is quite different, and there are clearly too few agent sets in my opinion. In addition the GB of Agent 01 is already over.

Q: Is this a licensed set? Are there any intellectual property concerns?
A: The set does not contain any protected/ trademarked symbols, words or designs.
All designs were made by myself and nothing was simply stolen or copied. I took an inspiration for the colors from my favorite movie, that's all

Q: Why do you have a blank Ergo kit?
A: A lot is preference in this hobby, plus with blanks you have a high compatibility/ need less keys and it looks clean

Special Thanks
To Tom Sparrow for helping me with annoying questions
To Kekaiyo and Sayantan (GMK Mercury and Agent 01) for giving me their blessing
To Honorless, for helping me with the 40s Kit
To the 40s Discord for helping me with my ergo and 40s kit (Especially NoPunIn10Did)

Updates

05/31/2021 - Adjustments to kitting, new Renders
06/20/2021 - 40s Kit, 2U shift in Base, New Spacebar Kit
09/11/2021 - Few new render, Deskmat-IC, Added R4 UK Pipe Key, R3 Control Key is now a Symbol
10/07/2021 - 40s Kit updated, Added Alphas Kit, brighter background colors
12/19/2021 - Deskmats added, New renders added, Reworked Novelties
01/05/2022 - Ergo Kit added, finished kitting, added a few renders
01/08/2022 - Added Vendors and collaboration section
03/03/2022 - Added Colors and Info

Signature

If you would like to support my set please add this signature and share it all around the world.
To add this signature go to Profile --> Modify Profile --> Forum Profile --> Signature and paste the code

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=113040.0][img]https://i.imgur.com/b3qKtKf.png[/img][/url]

« Last Edit: Fri, 04 March 2022, 11:11:36 by syntx »

Offline FishyKeebs

• hey
Re: [IC] ePBT Secret Agent
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 13:51:27 »
seems a little like a darker rainy day but looks nice nonetheless  :thumb:

Offline MSA_Vision

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 13:54:17 »
Love bond, love the set!
Sic Parvis Magna

Offline dededecline

• Linktree
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 13:56:05 »
ne 40s avail?

Offline Bub

• big bub's beepers
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 13:58:59 »
FWIW deskmats aren't typically a "collab" where the deskmat designer receives a cut of deskmat sales. while its probably great for the deskmat designer, it may complicate things for your vendors. most of the time artwork for deskmats is commissioned if not done by the keycap designer. not saying a collab is wrong or anything but just not usual.

Offline dededecline

• Linktree
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 14:04:25 »
More thorough kitting suggestions:

Base
* R1 1u pipe is missing
* R1 1u End and Pg Dn can be removed as they're in the numpad kit (where they should be)
* consider adding stepped control (though not necessary)
* you're missing the R3 1u keys for ISO
* consider adding 2u shift and a 1u shift for 64 key layout
* move B from spacebars to base, there's no reason for it to be there with ePBT

Spacebars
* add 6u centered and off-centered (can be just alpha colored)
* remove alpha colored spacebar, it's in base
* again with removing B
* 1.75u space is, to the best of my knowledge, 40/ortho specific

40s/ortho
* please consider
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 May 2021, 14:06:19 by dededecline »

Offline syntx

• I must be dreaming
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 14:09:16 »
FWIW deskmats aren't typically a "collab" where the deskmat designer receives a cut of deskmat sales. while its probably great for the deskmat designer, it may complicate things for your vendors. most of the time artwork for deskmats is commissioned if not done by the keycap designer. not saying a collab is wrong or anything but just not usual.

I didn't know that. Thank you for the info i will now design the Deskmat by myself (At least try it) or pay somebody else,

Offline Lockna

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 14:13:14 »
This set looks damn good.
I love the colours, the accents and the design of the Novelties.
It's exactly my taste and there's nothing I can say wrong with it.

Offline syntx

• I must be dreaming
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 14:18:23 »
More thorough kitting suggestions:

Base
* R1 1u pipe is missing
* R1 1u End and Pg Dn can be removed as they're in the numpad kit (where they should be)
* consider adding stepped control (though not necessary)
* you're missing the R3 1u keys for ISO
* consider adding 2u shift and a 1u shift for 64 key layout
* move B from spacebars to base, there's no reason for it to be there with ePBT

Spacebars
* add 6u centered and off-centered (can be just alpha colored)
* remove alpha colored spacebar, it's in base
* again with removing B
* 1.75u space is, to the best of my knowledge, 40/ortho specific

40s/ortho
* please consider

Thank you for your Feedback! 40s Kit will come, but i want to make everyone happy with it, so i'll take my time. I will look at the rest, thank you

Offline dededecline

• Linktree
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 14:25:44 »
Thank you for your Feedback! 40s Kit will come, but i want to make everyone happy with it, so i'll take my time. I will look at the rest, thank you

Sounds good! Please drop by the 40% server https://discord.gg/40percent any time for assistance!

Offline Tom Sparrow

• This is the way!
    • More stuff from me
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 14:48:13 »
I am glad I was able to help you! I wish you best of luck with the IC :thumb:

I am looking forward to your deskmat designs, I am sure you already have some ideas on your mind!

Minor detail I noticed, in the spacebar kit two spacebars are labelled 6.25U but in the render they are not the same length :P

Offline syntx

• I must be dreaming
Re: [IC] ePBT Secret Agent | Small Kitting/Render adjustments!
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 31 May 2021, 12:00:33 »
Update:
Made some small kitting adjustments and replaced the renders with renders, that have better Light. In addition, there is now a picture of the colors (Note that the colors may look different on your monitor) and a Update section
Also please fill out, if not already done the IC form
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 May 2021, 12:03:51 by syntx »

Offline JKKEEBS

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 31 May 2021, 22:43:42 »
There are like five other sets that look like this.

Edit: Especially when the name/theme can be used for many different colors imo if that makes sense.

Offline syntx

• I must be dreaming
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 01 June 2021, 09:06:58 »
There are like five other sets that look like this.

Edit: Especially when the name/theme can be used for many different colors imo if that makes sense.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I understand that you get the idea that there are already several other sets with these colors. I uploaded a color comparison picture, there you can also see that the colors to the other known sets differ again. I know that gray is still gray in the end, but ePBT Secret Agent is still different from other sets and i think it's great the way it is. In addition, it has a different theme. The colors come from my inspiration and there is not much you could have done differently.

Edit: But still, I am aware that there are similar sets

Offline momo96

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 17 June 2021, 12:14:36 »
I really hope this gets produced. These are pretty much exactly the shades of grey i am looking for.

Offline hzsh

• aspiring renderman
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 18 June 2021, 12:20:13 »
Gray on Black mods work REALLY well here, I love that. Novelties are pretty nice as well, they ring true to your theme. Something I'd consider cleaning up, although difficult, is the noise in the darker right side of the D60 Lite in its first render, it was quite noticeable once I took a closer look at the post. Polycarbonate is quite unforgiving in renders, so I see why the noise exists in the first place, but definitely something to think about since you're already planning on doing more board renders. Overall, doesn't look like you can go wrong with this set, very simple, yet elegant and ties itself back to a great theme :thumb:.

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 18 June 2021, 15:26:12 »
You need ti turn on the lights when computing the renders.  Why do they need to be imaged in the dark?
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline syntx

• I must be dreaming
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 20 June 2021, 06:45:31 »
I really hope this gets produced. These are pretty much exactly the shades of grey i am looking for.

Thank you for your feedback! I am working on it, the best as i can  :thumb:

Offline syntx

• I must be dreaming
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 20 June 2021, 06:48:28 »
Gray on Black mods work REALLY well here, I love that. Novelties are pretty nice as well, they ring true to your theme. Something I'd consider cleaning up, although difficult, is the noise in the darker right side of the D60 Lite in its first render, it was quite noticeable once I took a closer look at the post. Polycarbonate is quite unforgiving in renders, so I see why the noise exists in the first place, but definitely something to think about since you're already planning on doing more board renders. Overall, doesn't look like you can go wrong with this set, very simple, yet elegant and ties itself back to a great theme :thumb:.

I appreciate your feedback! I know that PC Renders are really hard, i tried my best to increase the quality of them. When the deskmats are finished, new renders will be made and i hope that there won't be any noise problems.

Offline syntx

• I must be dreaming
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 20 June 2021, 07:12:31 »
You need ti turn on the lights when computing the renders.  Why do they need to be imaged in the dark?

I don't know, what you mean. Maybe it is just my monitor, but i see enough light there? It isn't as bright as the sun, but the light is chosen, to make the colors and light look realistic.

Offline onslash

Re: [IC] ePBT Secret Agent | 40s Kit!
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 02 August 2021, 00:23:14 »
Needs 1.75u novelties in the novelties kit for 75% users

Offline Marcus9494

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 03 September 2021, 03:07:57 »
I've been looking for a set like this, can't wait!!

Offline syntx

• I must be dreaming
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 11 September 2021, 14:17:29 »
Needs 1.75u novelties in the novelties kit for 75% users

Hi!
I apologize for the long break. I had a lot on my mind but now I'm working more often on the set again. I have a few Deskmat designs that you can vote on now. In the end 2-3 Deskmats are planned. (2 of them from the Deskmat voting, depending on which one I and you out there like best, and maybe a new one that isn't made yet.

First, thank you for your feedback!, but 75% users have Novelties, that they can use in this kit as well  :thumb:. I can't make an extra Novelty Key for each layout or it will be too expensive and too much.

Offline tiydal

Re: [IC] ePBT Secret Agent | Deskmat voting!
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 12 September 2021, 03:32:20 »
No r4 \| key for ISO UK support?

Offline syntx

• I must be dreaming
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 12 September 2021, 09:26:45 »
No r4 \| key for ISO UK support?

I overlooked it, it is now also in the base kit, thank you!

Offline Big Jalen

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 22 September 2021, 05:11:30 »
loving the look of the set! Is there a discord link at all? and is there an estimate for the GB date yet by any chance? Edit:  Never mind, found the link in the IC form!
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 September 2021, 11:26:25 by Big Jalen »

Offline EgonPax

Re: [IC] ePBT Secret Agent | 40s Update
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 07 October 2021, 19:23:09 »
Overall digging the idea and look!
I would love a 7u novelty spacebar (don't think that's common but would be neat)

Offline Adelscott

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 08 October 2021, 06:35:13 »
Nice set but 2 things are missing :
  • a novelty with a girl in a cute dress, no double zero would do what he does without a pretty girl to impress
  • a french kit  ;)

Please think about ISO users, add a split left shift to your "alice style" keyboards

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 08 October 2021, 09:20:55 »
YO, that 40's kit is super extensive, and I REALLY appreciate the 1.25U R3 "Code" key.  This is an insta buy for me for sure.  Especially with the separate alphas available.
"Resellers don't kill the community, auctioneers kill the community. Look at what happened to Diablo 3"

Offline syntx

• I must be dreaming
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 08 October 2021, 15:40:56 »
Nice set but 2 things are missing :
  • a novelty with a girl in a cute dress, no double zero would do what he does without a pretty girl to impress
  • a french kit  ;)

Thanks for the tips/ feedback! I will definetly have to think about it. I don't know if a french set will come, but i will take a look at it.
FYI in general: The Novelties are currently being revised. Some will be changed, but mainly they will be made thicker, so that you can see them better!  :thumb:

Offline kkd_20

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 09 October 2021, 04:31:21 »
I don't understand why there is an alpha kit with same colour as the bese kit

Offline syntx

• I must be dreaming
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 09 October 2021, 08:21:57 »

It's for 40s/ ortho users so they don't have to buy the base kit.

Offline syntx

• I must be dreaming
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 19 December 2021, 14:54:51 »
Hi!
Finally a new update is coming, this time also a somewhat larger one:
-Reworked Novelties
-Finalized all kits (Ergo kit coming soon)
-Added Deskmat

Unfortunately I didn't post anything in the past time, because I had personal problems. I know that this set has been in the IC-Phase for a long time, thus now I will work more on it to get it into GB as soon as possible. Of course I don't want to rush anything because I
 obviously want to deliver the best/ a finished product in the end. But for now i wish you happy holidays (in one week)/ a merry Christmas!

Offline hali

• hali.studio
Re: [IC] ePBT Secret Agent | Big Update
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 19 December 2021, 15:35:08 »
Does the base kit have an R3 alpha key for physical ISO compatibility?

Offline syntx

• I must be dreaming
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 19 December 2021, 16:12:08 »
Does the base kit have an R3 alpha key for physical ISO compatibility?

Looks like i forgot that, thank you.
I‘ll probably now end up either putting a basic ISO compatibility in the base kit or putting the keys in a separate kit, but thank you for that hint.

Offline hali

• hali.studio
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 19 December 2021, 16:38:25 »
Sounds like kits aren't actually finalized yet  :p

Offline surplusofchairs

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 19 December 2021, 22:10:20 »

you can make a 40s base kit in that case? like epbt fall, pomelo, sidewalk chalk

Offline syntx

• I must be dreaming
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 20 December 2021, 01:38:09 »

you can make a 40s base kit in that case? like epbt fall, pomelo, sidewalk chalk

As mentioned before, there will be an Ergo Kit coming soon.
Ergo Users won‘t need the 40s mods, only the Alphas. That’s why the kits are separate
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 December 2021, 01:54:03 by syntx »

Offline syntx

• I must be dreaming
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 20 December 2021, 01:44:26 »
Edit: Lag posted it Twice sorry
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 December 2021, 01:46:14 by syntx »

Offline surplusofchairs

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 20 December 2021, 12:27:28 »

As mentioned before, there will be an Ergo Kit coming soon.
Ergo Users won‘t need the 40s mods, only the Alphas. That’s why the kits are separate
ah i didnt see ergo kit pending. glwic sir :D

Offline syntx

• I must be dreaming
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 08 January 2022, 12:08:41 »
Sounds like kits aren't actually finalized yet  :p

I added Vendors and the Ergo Kit. Kitting should now be complete as well  :cool:

Offline Nurseh

• Sorry for always apologizing
Re: [IC] ePBT Secret Agent | Added Ergo Kit
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 08 January 2022, 12:37:04 »
Liking the novelty selection, good work!

Offline samilapo

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 13 December 2022, 02:27:34 »
Any news on this set ?