Author Topic: Topre weight  (Read 1848 times)

Offline Avi_

Topre weight
« on: Sat, 10 July 2021, 01:14:09 »
I used to own Realforce 87U 55g. I remember it was ridiculously stiff. I purchased R2 45g, and the difference between 55g and 45g was huge. 45g was just right for me and 55g was very stiff. I sold 55g.

Time passed, and my preferences shifted towards heavier switches, up to the point when I started to enjoy BOX Navy occasionally. I thought maybe I should try 55g again. I ordered a new R2 55g. I was eager to try it now, when I have more experience with various switches. And… at first I though this is some kind of mistake. No way it's 55g, maybe it's 45g or variable? No, the box and the sticker on the keyboard itself say it's a 55g model. It feels like my R2 45g. Honestly I doubt I'd be able to tell which is which if 45g was not silenced.

I don't know what to think of it. Yes, weight perception is affected by what you have used recently and if you are switching from a very heavy to a light switch, light switch feels even lighter, and the other way around. But not by that much. I think there is a big difference in weight between various Topre models, or years of production, even for the same rated weight.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
Re: Topre weight
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 11 July 2021, 01:16:05 »
You've just adjusted. I've had 55g next to 45g next to a hhkb. They all feel different to me after all these years. Just the case mount on the hhkb alone is a totally different feel than plate mounted 45g.

Is your 45g the r2 limited pre-silenced? Or did you silence yourself?
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Avi_

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 11 July 2021, 02:39:14 »
Yes, it's pre-silenced, R2TLSA-US4-BK-L.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 11 July 2021, 02:49:14 »
That is so odd. The PFU limited 45g with the pre-silencing is mushy. You should definitely feel the difference in the 55g. I'm typing on one right now. It isn't just the sound... the tactility of 10g more to me is a big difference.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Avi_

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 11 July 2021, 04:25:07 »
I feel the difference, and it's not just the sound. Yes, the silenced version is mushy too and it feels different. I mean I doubt I'd be able to feel the difference based purely on weight. Original Realforce 55g was so much stiffer in my memory than this R2 55g.

So my theory is this: when you get used to a certain weight, let's say very heavy, you better feel the difference between kinds of heavy, but lighter switches become less different from each other. You have a "higher resolution" perception for the weight you have been using recently.

Because I used stiff switches recently, the difference between 45g and 55g may have become less apparent to me. Now I'll be using this 55g (which I enjoy) for a while, and I think my "high resolution window" will move to the middle weight range, and the difference between 45g and 55g will become more apparent.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 11 July 2021, 10:16:43 »
Coming from light MX tactiles, it was easy for me to tell the difference between 45 and 55 G Topre. But if I was used to 45 G Niz, it might be a little more tricky.

For those of you in the know, what is 30/35 G Topre like? Basically an office rubber-dome? I'm trying to resist the new 2021 35 G Niz boards right now, I just need something subtle.

Offline Avi_

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 11 July 2021, 12:15:07 »
I don't know about 30/35g Topre, but I used to own ABKO K935P V2 45g, which is a Topre clone, maybe NIZ. I can tell that ABKO 45g was most definitely lighter than Topre 45g. I imagine Topre 35g feels something like this. Lighter than an office rubber dome.

Offline Avi_

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 03:31:15 »
It took a few days for me to adjust back to the middle weight switches. The difference between 45g and 55g Topre is obvious now. I noticed that something was definitely off a few days ago when I took an MX Clear board and started to bottom out. It's funny how much the weight perception can change. When adjusted to very light switches, the almost nonexistent tactile bump on MX Browns felt very pronounced to me. When adjusted to heavy, I bottomed out on MX Clears and couldn't tell 45g from 55g Topre.

Offline Riverman

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 16:06:48 »
For those of you in the know, what is 30/35 G Topre like? Basically an office rubber-dome? I'm trying to resist the new 2021 35 G Niz boards right now, I just need something subtle.
I had a 30g silenced Topre R2 for a while before I converted it to a 45g (used the domes from a Realforce RGB).  It was extremely light, but I could still feel the tactility after typing on it for a day, and it was pleasant to type on.  I didn't have nearly the problems with accidental key presses that I thought I would.  The rubber dome keyboards around my office are ridiculously heavy.  Even my MX black keyboard feels considerably lighter than the Dells we have here in the office.  After typing on mechanical keyboards for so many years, I think my fingertips would feel a little sore after typing on one of our rubber domes for any length of time.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 17:35:29 »
The difference between 45g and 55g is huge with Topre. I used to have a 55G Realforce but, 45G feels the best for long typing sessions.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020