Author Topic: How does one get a GB started?  (Read 1970 times)

Offline xyeLz

How does one get a GB started?
« on: Fri, 17 September 2021, 16:30:50 »
I realize this is a very selfish post (totally sorry!) but I am trying to find a simple set of GMK keycaps. I fell in love with the GMK Dark but can't seem to find them literally anywhere! It seems there were a couple GBs for this kit, one in 2020 and another in 2019. How would one go about getting an IC started, and then getting a GB going for this? Just looking for some guidance!
ReΛlforce 87U - Capacitive (45g), ReΛlforce 103UB - Capacitive (Variable)

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
Re: How does one get a GB started?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 17 September 2021, 18:53:26 »
Well, the thing here is, GMK dark was designed by someone and you would first have to ask the OG designer for permission. It's pretty uncommon for a set to be run by someone that isn't the designer, the set is usually just never run ever again unless it's really popular and the designer is still active. But if you did get permission, you would then make kitting, renders, and write up an IC.

Should the IC do well, you'd then contact vendors to run the set, you'd then settle on a GB date which then your vendors will do most of the contact work with GMK.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 17 September 2021, 19:13:22 »
Well, the thing here is, GMK dark was designed by someone and you would first have to ask the OG designer for permission.

100x this. It’s bad form just to run someone else’s colorway, and I doubt many vendors would support it without consent anyway.

If you personally are looking to get your hands on the set, just look for it on mechmarket. You’ll pay aftermarket prices but that’s certainly cheaper/easier than running an IC/GB
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 September 2021, 18:22:44 »
Well, the thing here is, GMK dark was designed by someone and you would first have to ask the OG designer for permission.

100x this. It’s bad form just to run someone else’s colorway, and I doubt many vendors would support it without consent anyway.

If you personally are looking to get your hands on the set, just look for it on mechmarket. You’ll pay aftermarket prices but that’s certainly cheaper/easier than running an IC/GB

eh. gmk dark isn't some special sauce colorway. it's just a gmk run of a standard oem colorway that has been around since the beginning of time.

we'll do another run soon. many people asking for more variations of sublegends. there are already so many gmk sets in the pipeline being delayed due to covid/supply chain issues. just be patient

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 21 September 2021, 18:36:36 »
eh. gmk dark isn't some special sauce colorway. it's just a gmk run of a standard oem colorway that has been around since the beginning of time.

we'll do another run soon. many people asking for more variations of sublegends. there are already so many gmk sets in the pipeline being delayed due to covid/supply chain issues. just be patient
I stand corrected, thanks for the elaboration :thumb: