Author Topic: Thinking About Buying Keycaps  (Read 4245 times)

Offline Gattz

Thinking About Buying Keycaps
« on: Mon, 24 October 2011, 17:15:27 »
I saw some on elitekeyboards.com http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,cherrymxkeys

I've never bought keycaps before, but these seem to be very expensive. In fact, I feel that they are overpriced, but if someone knows better than I do about this then please chime in.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 24 October 2011, 17:36:26 »
Clack Factory ones are limited edition, produced in small quantities and are quite unique. If you like them and are willing to pay those prices buy them, if not then don't.

Offline slueth

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 24 October 2011, 17:39:41 »
The clack keycaps are hand made by a very awesome member of geekhack and a lot of them are sold out right now.

Offline bloodygood

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 24 October 2011, 17:46:16 »
When you are buying for example PCB caps for just the 37 keys like a-z ./;'[] and arrow keys. you can find them unprinted for as low as 19$ for the whole set, also sometimes whole tenkeyless keysets for less than 49$. But when it comes to hand made specialty keys each key is going to cost more because they are not mass produced. The odds are they won't find 1000+ buyers for a key so they have to make smaller batches, and that process can be costly, so you get the best deal they can give you and still make a marginal profit to stay in business. Then the next time they produce a quality set you might be inclined to purchase from them again.
Current collection: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown, IBM Model M, Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite II, Dell AT101W.
Looking for: IBM Model M SpaceSaver, HHKB Topre keychain. >> Feedback Thread

Offline Gattz

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 24 October 2011, 20:13:57 »
Sorry, I should have been more specific; I was talking about the lavender and shift, control, and alt caps.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 25 October 2011, 01:20:29 »
I found some old 'boards on ebay that had doubleshot keycaps, made a list of all the ones that had "make offer". Then, I made low offers, and two accepted.

Of the two, one sent the whole board, and the other just the keycaps. A good deal either way.

Both were yellow, but should take about 3 weeks to retrobrite in my weak solution.

I plan to resell one set after they're all done retrobriting.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 25 October 2011, 11:22:46 »
Oh... Well the lavender wasd set is Filco, and that is the usual price more or less from anywhere else that stocks them. The RGB and wine caps are Leopold and are otherwise only available from Leopold Korea (as far as I have seen) which refuse international orders. Perhaps they could be found on TaoBao but I haven't looked.
In any case they are quite specific colors which are shades that aren't offered by wasdkeyboards which is usually the cheapest alternative for high quality non novelty individual keycaps. Their sets are also very competitively priced.

Offline Gattz

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 25 October 2011, 14:13:45 »
I see, I guess I might buy them then. I think the lavender wasd are for Leopold, and Das as well. At least that's what they say in the description.

Also, is a keycap puller necessary?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 25 October 2011, 14:56:26 »
A puller is needed, though you don't have to buy one. I made my own with some wire for free and it's the same thing essentially without the nice handle. There are some guides on making them on here. It pretty much comes down to how often you'll swap keycaps and if you want a proper tool or not.

Offline slueth

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 25 October 2011, 15:00:29 »
Two credit cards and leverage.

Offline Shatterist

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 25 October 2011, 17:58:01 »
Or one PCI-slot cover = )

fossala

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 25 October 2011, 18:00:29 »
Quote from: slueth;439107
Two credit cards and leverage.
I broke my bank card the other day using it to take off keycaps. Still works in the atm though.

Offline suprsmo

• Sydney, Australia
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 25 October 2011, 19:15:42 »
^^ Bummer re card!

If I were OP, id get the keycap puller! Very handy guy.. and only 6 bux if you have to fork out for it.. but check the packages when placing order, as some of them come with! Didnt realise my flat mates ninja filco would come with one, and ordered one myself! now I have 2 :D
Poker
QFR

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 25 October 2011, 21:03:21 »
Quote from: Shatterist;439230
Or one PCI-slot cover = )
I am continually impressed with what you can do with a pair of quality PCI slotcovers.

Offline Gattz

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 26 October 2011, 00:16:54 »
Is it actually worth the five to six dollars? I'm probably only going to be using it once every who knows how long. I might try to credit card thing.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 26 October 2011, 00:22:29 »
It's really a personal choice to you: I don't think it's worth that much, but it may very well be for you.

I thought the $20 I paid for a set of WYSE doubleshots was good.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 26 October 2011, 02:14:48 »
I wouldnt switch caps without a wire key puller very handy and a much have is you swapping keys especially a whole keyboards worth.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 26 October 2011, 18:19:44 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;439593
I wouldnt switch caps without a wire key puller very handy and a much have is you swapping keys especially a whole keyboards worth.
 I switched a whole board twice with the pbt keypuller WASD gives you.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 27 October 2011, 00:53:23 »
Quote from: dorkvader;440099
I switched a whole board twice with the pbt keypuller WASD gives you.
And I have scratched many a keycap with plastic keypullers. Also the Leopold puller is much nicer and better designed than the Filco.