Author Topic: Keycaps on Filco Tenkeyless  (Read 5467 times)

Offline Roguemaster8

Keycaps on Filco Tenkeyless
« on: Thu, 12 January 2012, 23:37:08 »
I wasn't able to find a thread about this or anything in the wiki regarding it, but does anyone know just how fast the keycaps on a Tenkeyless Filco Majestouch-2 will wear and become shiny? I'm coming from a Razer Black Widow Ultimate I just purchased couple days ago, but I am worried about the rubber coating on the key caps.

Thanks for the help, this a great forum and I hope to learn more about mechanical keyboards through the rest of this year.

On a side note, is there a better quality tenkeyless then a Filco Majestouch-2? I figure if this much money is being spent a keyboard, I don't want something that has a shoddy build quality.
CM Storm Quickfire | Dell Quietkey | Unicomp Ultra Classic | KBC Poker

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 12 January 2012, 23:42:27 »
I think the CMstorm is better, as it's almost the same, but has a removable USB cable and some cooler functions on the keys (volume up/down, etc) It's also about $80.

Offline Roguemaster8

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 12 January 2012, 23:46:14 »
Hmm, I live in the US, and it seems the only retailers for it exist in Europe. Is there anywhere else I could look at shops that sell CMstorms?

EDIT: Sorry, didn't realize what CM stood for, I found a retailer.

EDIT 2: According to the site, it claims a rubber coating on the keycaps as well, isn't that similar to the Razer BW Ultimate?

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 13 January 2012, 00:02:11 »
Quote from: Roguemaster8;489257
Hmm, I live in the US, and it seems the only retailers for it exist in Europe. Is there anywhere else I could look at shops that sell CMstorms?

EDIT: Sorry, didn't realize what CM stood for, I found a retailer.

EDIT 2: According to the site, it claims a rubber coating on the keycaps as well, isn't that similar to the Razer BW Ultimate?
I own one, the keycaps are normal ABS. The case is coated, but I've not had any wear in the month(s) that I've owned it.

They just launched north america, so there'll be more options (other than blue switches) at more retailers after a month or so. I had to get mine from Asia, :P

Bytheway, here's a user's comparison of the ABS keys on a filco to aftermarket PBT keys:
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:16648
Note: the spacebar is probably the most used key.

Offline Roguemaster8

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 13 January 2012, 00:43:38 »
I'm almost convinced out of the Filco at this point, too bad there's just not a lot of information on the Quickfire.

At that price I sort of wonder if it's too good to be true.

Offline jellowiggler

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 13 January 2012, 01:45:32 »
I have one with blues. It has been my primary for a few weeks. It's been great so far. Just as nice as my rk-9000s.
Mike -jellowiggler-
Filco MJ2 Tenkeyless / Rosewill RK-9000 / IBM Model M 1391401 / Logitech DiNovo Edge / MS Sidewinder X4

Offline Roguemaster8

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 13 January 2012, 01:54:18 »
Quote from: jellowiggler;489311
I have one with blues. It has been my primary for a few weeks. It's been great so far. Just as nice as my rk-9000s.

I was looking at the blues as well, and for the price, I wouldn't mind picking up another switch type when it becomes available.

I'm glad to hear more feedback about this keyboard, I'm surprised it isn't getting much publicity for being called an $80 Filco.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 13 January 2012, 09:16:51 »
well, it used to cost more, when it was only available from Asia. There's not too many out there in the wild, but info is still available. I even posted internal pictures once. What do you need to know?

Offline Roguemaster8

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 13 January 2012, 19:15:13 »
Reliability and durability of the keyboard, if key caps are easily replaceable, and just a general recommendation.

I do appreciate your help, dorkvader, as I've just made the purchase on Newegg and am now waiting for Tuesday to come around.
I have high hopes that these will not disappoint. :biggrin:

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 13 January 2012, 23:20:15 »
I have already swapped out all the keycaps on mine, and it was pretty easy. It'll take any cherry MX-compatible keycap. Notice, that if you get thin ABS or white thin PBT, you'll still be able to see the RED LED shining through a little, otherwise, it may be the best to keep the capslock, scrolllock, and windowslock key.

The reliability should be the same as filco, or any other costar-OEM'd board. I don't expect trouble with mine.

Durability should be good as well. There was some concern about the rubberized coating coming off, but this has not been an issue for me. The biggest downside is all the logos.

I spend a lot of time looking at the keys, 'cause it's is QWERTY, and I've never been able to touchtype that. The logos don't really bother me.

Oh, and the USB cable it comes with is really spiffy.

Offline Roguemaster8

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 19 January 2012, 02:19:16 »
Quote from: dorkvader;490064
I have already swapped out all the keycaps on mine, and it was pretty easy. It'll take any cherry MX-compatible keycap. Notice, that if you get thin ABS or white thin PBT, you'll still be able to see the RED LED shining through a little, otherwise, it may be the best to keep the capslock, scrolllock, and windowslock key.

The reliability should be the same as filco, or any other costar-OEM'd board. I don't expect trouble with mine.

Durability should be good as well. There was some concern about the rubberized coating coming off, but this has not been an issue for me. The biggest downside is all the logos.

I spend a lot of time looking at the keys, 'cause it's is QWERTY, and I've never been able to touchtype that. The logos don't really bother me.

Well I've had it for about a day now, and I'm really impressed with the quality of the board.
Only thing that bothers me is the key caps. Where would one go about finding PBT key caps? I found all the group buy threads, but most of them have expired.

Offline HWI

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 19 January 2012, 03:55:49 »
Quote from: Roguemaster8;493884
Where would one go about finding PBT key caps?

http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/category/pbt-key-caps/catId=3982960
Bottom Out Like A Boss
Razer BWU | Ducky DK-1087 | Noppoo Choc Mini | CM Storm QFR | KBT Race

Offline kwang2009

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 22:09:56 »
Quote from: dorkvader;490064

Where did you find yours? The Cherry doubleshots I was going to use were way shorter than the ones on the CM.

Offline Tony

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 22:49:53 »
Quote from: Roguemaster8;489247
I wasn't able to find a thread about this or anything in the wiki regarding it, but does anyone know just how fast the keycaps on a Tenkeyless Filco Majestouch-2 will wear and become shiny?

For me, it takes around a month to see a shiny Space bar, and another 2-4 weeks to see the shine on most of alpha keys. My oily fingers also contribute to this.

You can always clean the keycaps with soap, detergent or magic erasers, but the shine appears periodically.

For build, Filco is probably the best keyboard around.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 22:50:24 »
I have all PBT on mine: white PBT from the portal set from SP, and blue PBT from \KL's groupbuy, also from SP.

Offline kwang2009

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 02:46:39 »
Quote from: dorkvader;502079
I have all PBT on mine: white PBT from the portal set from SP, and blue PBT from \KL's groupbuy, also from SP.

I can't find those posts for squat. Can you link them?

Offline Barn

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 02:48:48 »
I've had my Filco for 2 months and the spacebar is shiny. Wether that bothers you or not is a different matter.

ABS keys will get shiny after time. PBT keys are much superior.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 08:47:00 »
I've had my Majestouch2 for over 6 months. I'm only a heavy starcraft player (maybe 1000 games since I bought it) and occasional essay I need to write up and some IMing. Only the ones I use mainly for starcraft have become someone shiny but not  extremely noticable.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline Roguemaster8

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 11:55:10 »
Well, after I made this thread, I did find my way to the wiki on shininess.

Your pictures of blessing the keyboard at the Japanese shrine made the whole article worth reading.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 12:11:04 »
ripster: you say the ducky/kbc PBTs actually feel slicker than the ABS caps, but they look like they have significantly more texture. in the immortal words of fred willard, HEY WHAAA HAPPEN?

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 12:15:01 »
Quote from: kwang2009;502208
I can't find those posts for squat. Can you link them?
Blue from here:
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?22377-SP-Cherry-MX-87-key-Dyesub-Group-Buy-***ORDERS-ARE-NOW-CLOSED***
(you can maybe get a set from the classifieds..?)

Portal from here:
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?22448-Portal-Function-Esc-13-Key-PBT-Dye-Sublimated-key-group-buy-%28ORDER-THREAD%29

The leftovers sold out pretty quick
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?23938-Starcraft-2-and-Portal-Keycap-GB-Leftovers-For-Sale!
But there will very likely be a round2, that I also want to get in on.
---
If you want PBT, might I recommend a more commonly-available(and cheaper) set
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?25897-here-we-are-thick-dyesub-group

Offline Roguemaster8

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 12:56:37 »
Here's my keyboard now with a 37 set of PBT caps I bought off somebody from the classifieds.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 38947[/ATTACH]

Now I just need a nice PBT space bar to go with it.