Author Topic: WASD Custom Keycap poor Laser Etching  (Read 6332 times)

Offline Chemical_Butn

WASD Custom Keycap poor Laser Etching
« on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 15:15:52 »
I will try and post photos to help show what I have experienced, but i just bought my first WASD keyboard with a custom font and the etching looks like it cut too deep on the bottom of the letters and it is very discolored. For spending >$160 on this keyboard it is unacceptable but what I am wondering if it is just mine that were poorly made or if that is the type of quality WASD provides. I also have noticed that they did not etch the lettering in the center of they key when it was centered on the layout.

Just me or are they like this.

Also if there is a way to fix this I might be willing to try but I think I'm going to force them to take it back. This is very poor quality.

It keeps saying I can't post this many URL's so I made an album.

imgur.com/a/mEvsQ

There are more bad keys than that but thats all I took photos of.

Offline 500_pts

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 15:17:29 »
Likely just you.

Wasd generally provides a high quality product.
REALFORCE 86u | HHKB Pro 2 | Filco TKL| Filco TKL | Leopold TKL | KBT Race

Offline Chemical_Butn

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 15:20:52 »
Quote from: 500_pts;499872
Likely just you.

Wasd generally provides a high quality product.

Great /sarcasm

"Custom engraved keycaps and keyboard cases cannot be returned. Any custom work such as custom art, fonts, etc are non-refundable." This quality is just terrible.

Offline naranja

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 15:22:58 »
I'm sure if they really messed up the printing, they'd own up to it and resolve any issues.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 15:32:09 »
I bought the Geekhack key set from them, and all of them look better than I expected lazer etching could do.

Yeah, I think they'd own up if they actually did something wrong. The disclaimer is there to protect them, but having your thing screwed up is a different issue.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 15:56:38 »
Just post a link to your pics or something so we can see.

Btw, welcome to Geekhack!
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline Chemical_Butn

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 16:28:29 »
Quote from: reaper;499934
Just post a link to your pics or something so we can see.

Btw, welcome to Geekhack!

Thanks for the welcome but I think I have to make a new account I miss typed Burn. :p derp . Check out the album I posted and let me know if you think I should return it

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 16:48:38 »
No problem and let me post the pic for you...

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 38654[/ATTACH]

Hmm.. I say return it.  That doesn't look acceptable to me.
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 16:50:24 »
I had a look, There are a few keys that looked like the lazer did something wrong. Either that or some horrible accident happened when they were shipped. Check with WASD (They have a subforum here) and see what they can do.

Offline Chemical_Butn

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 16:56:18 »
Quote from: reaper;499991
No problem and let me post the pic for you...

(Attachment Link) 38654[/ATTACH]

Hmm.. I say return it.  That doesn't look acceptable to me.

Thanks for the info. oh great another few weeks until I get a good keyboard

Offline Chemical_Butn

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 18:05:48 »
They responded and said this

"But first, I'd like go over why some of the keys turned out the way they did. Our laser prints like an inkjet printer. The head travels back and forth and fires the laser when there's something to print. So, when a line has only a small area to print, the travel distance is reduced and sometimes, results in extra heat being generated as the material doesn't get to cool down the same amount of time. I can fix this for your design by adding some dummy text off the edges of the keyboard.

For all other colored keys, the color will even out nicely once you use the keys a little bit. If you wish to accelerate the process, you can just rub it with your finger, but it takes a little while, so natural use is the easiest way."

So they are very helpful and I don't have to give my baby up to get em fixed so I'm happy. So anyone that runs into this problem should just contact them, they are super helpful

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 18:15:16 »
Quote from: Chemical_Butn;500059
They responded and said this

"But first, I'd like go over why some of the keys turned out the way they did. Our laser prints like an inkjet printer. The head travels back and forth and fires the laser when there's something to print. So, when a line has only a small area to print, the travel distance is reduced and sometimes, results in extra heat being generated as the material doesn't get to cool down the same amount of time. I can fix this for your design by adding some dummy text off the edges of the keyboard.

For all other colored keys, the color will even out nicely once you use the keys a little bit. If you wish to accelerate the process, you can just rub it with your finger, but it takes a little while, so natural use is the easiest way."

So they are very helpful and I don't have to give my baby up to get em fixed so I'm happy. So anyone that runs into this problem should just contact them, they are super helpful

Forgot to say "Welcome to Geekhack".

But yeah, I think a good bunch of us here are fans of WASD. He does good work. = ) So glad that your problem is solved now.

Enjoy your new keyboard~ = )

Offline slueth

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 18:15:51 »
Cocaine was a nice touch.

Offline f16pilotjumper

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 18:34:42 »
Welcome, fellow new-ish person!

I just e-mailed with WASD regarding making custom keycap sets for a custom ~94-key layout I am working on.  If more then 10 people were interested, they said they might be willing to sell them directly on their website, otherwise I can run a group buy for a smaller amount.   Very helpful.  

I'm glad to see they are taking care of you.  You might consider asking a mod to add a note to that effect to the thread title....
Northgate Omnikey Ultra (Home) | Ortek MCK-101FX (In Restoration) | 2x IBM KPD8923 (Work)

Offline Barn

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 18:52:09 »
WASD have really great customer service.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk