geekhack Projects > Making Stuff Together!

New to the forum, want to build my own keyboard add on

<< < (10/11) > >>

overture1928:
BTW I talked to cherry telling them I wanted to get some quick connectors and if I can't find someone who makes them then I need to find someone to manufacture them. The problem was I need to know the exact dimensions of the terminals. I know the height is 3.30mm from their data sheet but nothing else exactly was listed. They sent me the following attachment but I don't exactly get it. Is the thickness 0.3mm +- 0.02mm and is the width in a 4:1 ratio with the height +0.05mm?

overture1928:

--- Quote from: regack on Thu, 09 August 2012, 15:17:19 ---
--- Quote from: overture1928 on Tue, 07 August 2012, 11:22:55 ---2 More questions

Do I need diodes for my switches?

And does anyone know where this guy got this plate? I know it is a phatom plate but what company actually produced the plate and how can I get the dimensions of this cut-out with the notches so that if I ask another company to make my board with those notches they will know how to do it. feature=plcp

--- End quote ---

Diodes remove the problem of key ghosting or masking, which you otherwise would have to solve through software somehow.

I have no idea where the phantom plates were made, but I had a plate made by FrontPanelExpress for a little project that I don't have any pictures of... here's what the plate rendered like though.  I'd be happy to send you the file if you want to look at it.  The design program they use is proprietary, but free... not inexpensive... this little thing was something like $60.

Show Image

--- End quote ---

Did you just use the dimensions from cherry for the square holes? 0.551" +-0.002 x 0x551" +- 0.002

regack:

--- Quote from: overture1928 on Thu, 09 August 2012, 23:20:31 ---Did you just use the dimensions from cherry for the square holes? 0.551" +-0.002 x 0x551" +- 0.002

--- End quote ---

I actually set it to .550 x .550 and .0120 corner radius on a 1.5mm thick plate - I didn't specify a tolerance for the holes, but when they came back and I threw the caliper on it, it was pretty much spot on.

bpiphany:
I had plates cut with a slightly bigger radius (0.4mm if I remember correctly) than the datasheet specifies. I had no problem pushing the switches in. I think I used 0.55" holes as well.

bpiphany:

--- Quote from: overture1928 on Thu, 09 August 2012, 23:11:23 ---BTW I talked to cherry telling them I wanted to get some quick connectors and if I can't find someone who makes them then I need to find someone to manufacture them. The problem was I need to know the exact dimensions of the terminals. I know the height is 3.30mm from their data sheet but nothing else exactly was listed. They sent me the following attachment but I don't exactly get it. Is the thickness 0.3mm +- 0.02mm and is the width in a 4:1 ratio with the height +0.05mm?

--- End quote ---

I hadn't seen that drawing before. But it is simply the thin flat terminal drawn from three different directions, like drawing are done usually... All numbers are millimeters. The 4 and the 1 as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version