Author Topic: Keycool 84 vs. Noppoo choc mini  (Read 1164 times)

Offline pseudonym

Keycool 84 vs. Noppoo choc mini
« on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 08:32:46 »
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forums but I've read quite alot of threads. Excuse my rather bad english, it's not my native language.

According to my wife I have been obsessing for about 3 weeks about my new keyboard. Before I browsed this forum i have never heard of 75% keyboards, but now I think I am in love. I am typing this post right now on a Noppoo choc mini with MX browns and I am pretty satisfied with it. I really love the layout as well as the extra desk space (which is more than welcome since I had to downsize my desk due to a smaller flat). I do however still wonder about the Keycool 84, especially due to the fact that it's backlit. I also heard that it is easier to replace the keycaps on the Keycool because Noppoo uses an uncommon size for the space key.

Keycool boards with original Cherry switches are apparently rather rare nowadays, because they switched their whole production over to Kailh. I do however want to get original Cherry switches, preferably MX brown (MX blue drive my wife crazy) or maybe MX red will do too, but I have never tried reds. If we put backlit keys aside, which keyboard is better?

- availability of replacement keycap-sets
- durability
- keycap quality / overall quality

I paid 87 Euros for my Noppo choc mini including shipping. If I opt for a non-backlit KC 84 it will run me about 75 Euros + shipping + costums; if I take the backlit version it will run me about 93 Euros + shipping + customs. Either way it will be more expensive than the Noppoo choc mini (both with original Cherry MX switches).

Can you help me out here?

Thanks in advance!