Author Topic: Different types of plastic used for FKBN87MC/NPEK keys?!  (Read 2457 times)

Offline sixty

• http://deskthority.net
Different types of plastic used for FKBN87MC/NPEK keys?!
« on: Tue, 28 July 2009, 16:08:49 »
Alright here is the story.. I was going to take a normal picture of the board for no apparent reason but accidentally forgot to disable flash.. which revealed this:

It appears that for some reason all of the modifier keys but the windows key are made from a different plastic than all the other keys? I am assuming these are taken from the sets that we can order separately at EliteKeyboards. The question is just.. why?

I have now taken off both the windows key and a CTRL key and i can now even notice a difference in normal lighting. Looking at the keys separately I could swear to notice bigger signs of the molding spots on these keys too now.. but that could just be a placebo effect.

I doubt this is just the case on my board, but others please go ahead and check your "otaku edition" boards. I am just hoping that this does not have any negative effects in a few years regarding key feel, or whatever.

Offline fuzzybyte

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 July 2009, 16:42:53 »
I can't find any different colored keys from my NPEK keyboard, which I ordered from Elitekeyboard about 2 weeks ago.

Maybe yours is just a fluke.

Edit: No, wait. Now that I took a good look on it, there is a small distinction on the left ctrl and alt. Nothing on the right ctrl or alt, tough.

maybe they just mixed keys from different coloring batches (or whatever).
I can't feel or even see any differences with the other keys in normal lighting.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 July 2009, 17:11:19 by fuzzybyte »

Offline sixty

• http://deskthority.net
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 July 2009, 19:44:36 »
Wow, that is interesting (I guess).
I just checked my ESC keys and they appear to have a different shade too.

The different color on the keys is only really noticeable if i take them out of the keyboard and take a really close look. I guess its nothing to worry about.

Offline watduzhkstand4

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 28 July 2009, 20:19:00 »
I can't really tell with mine even with the flash on =/
KEYBOARDS
Cherry Blue *Filco Tenkeyless w/ blank keys* w/ red ESC key thanks to Megarat
Cherry Red Noppoo Choc Mini
IBM Model M 1391401 12/15/88
Siig Minitouch w/ White Alps

SOLD
HHKB Pro 2 white w/ blank keys red ESC key and blank WASD keys
HHKB L-2
Cherry Brown Compaq mx11800
Dell AT101W
Cherry Red Leopold 104-key Otaku FC500RR/ABN

Offline yinzen

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 July 2009, 20:19:44 »
Not cool.

Offline lal

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 29 July 2009, 05:41:35 »
Come on, if it's not visible under real life conditions, there's no problem.  You'll probably find varying cable lengths or key size measurements too if done with a caliper.
BS: Customizer, Model Ms; Alps: CSK-2101, FK-2002, AT-101 (SGI & Dell), MCK-860, FKBN87Z/EB; Cherry: Poker X, FKBN87MC/EB, WY60, G80-3000, G84-4100, TDV 5010

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 29 July 2009, 07:33:25 »
Quote from: lal;105206
Come on, if it's not visible under real life conditions, there's no problem. You'll probably find varying cable lengths or key size measurements too if done with a caliper.

It's interesting, to be sure, but, yeah, I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about it if you can't see it normal light and they don't feel any different.

Offline majestouch

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http:///elitekeyboards.com
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 09 August 2009, 15:56:43 »
I asked Diatec about this and they said that the factory may have mixed some uncoated or coated (from another batch) Ctrl, Alt, and Windows keys on the keyboards since they need to remove the Vista key during the coating process. Yes it is odd, but it is not visible under normal lighting conditions so I don't see it as a big problem. Unfortunately all I have available for replacement is uncoated keys, so this wouldn't be any different.

I have asked Diatec to investigate the problem and I hope to offer future boards without the Vista bubble key at all, which would eliminate the need to remove these keys in the first place.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 09 August 2009, 18:50:51 »
glad I am not the only one that doesn't like the vista keys. and yes, it looks much better without them.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII