Author Topic: What lubricant to use w/ Model M  (Read 2123 times)

Offline salem

What lubricant to use w/ Model M
« on: Sat, 08 August 2009, 23:13:48 »
Hey guys, just got my 1988 Model M in the mail today, and I'm loving it except some of the keys such as the backspace and right shift keys don't have as nice of a travel as the rest of the keys, and I'm thinking a little lubricant can fix this.

Does anyone know a good commercial lubricant to use for plastic on plastic contact that I can use?

Thanks

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 08 August 2009, 23:37:38 »
I've used "dry" silicon spray to good effect.
Like this one.. I like the dry ones because it gaurantees no drips into the circuit board below.

I basically sprayed it on a lint free paper napkin first, then rubbed the napkin on the plastic stem of the key. That seemed to make a good difference.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 09 August 2009, 06:15:22 »
Quote from: salem;108348
Hey guys, just got my 1988 Model M in the mail today, and I'm loving it except some of the keys such as the backspace and right shift keys don't have as nice of a travel as the rest of the keys, and I'm thinking a little lubricant can fix this.

Does anyone know a good commercial lubricant to use for plastic on plastic contact that I can use?

Thanks

If some of the keys are sticking, a good bet may be to remove the keycaps in question, shake the keyboard a bit, and then turn it upside-down and reinsert the keycaps.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 19 August 2009, 14:39:09 »
Bumping this thread because I'd like to like to do something about the right shift key on my main M which isn't operating as smoothly as it should.

Anyone from Germany familiar with the stuff you can get here?
This silicone spray is readily available locally. Says it's suited for plastic, rubber, wood and metal and both resin-free and acid-free. No real details on ingredients though. Any good?
The same company (rooted more in car-related products) also has a PTFE spray. No details on whether it's a dry teflon spray like Kontaflon 85 though.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D