Author Topic: converting PC/XT to PC/AT  (Read 3667 times)

Offline kode

converting PC/XT to PC/AT
« on: Thu, 13 August 2009, 11:06:54 »
Like the topic says - is it possible? I seem to recall reading about this on another forum, but it might've been the other way around or keyboards that are switchable between them. Thing is I got my hands on a 1984 IBM keyboard (half a year younger than me, it turns 25 on august 22 this year), which I guess is a Model F PC/XT keyboard, even though the sticker under it says Model 000, part no 4733198. Other than that, all I've found out about it is that it cost 1665 finnish mark back in 1985. It has swedish letters on it, as well as a second set of markings for where the us layout keys would be.

Uh, I guess I'm digressing. Some searching around on the internet led me to believe it was at least possible to get PC/XT keyboards working under linux using the parkbd module and building an adapter for the parallell port. Which I guess would be an option if I could find the actual schematics for the adapter (and if the computers I use and plug keyboards into had parallell ports).

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 13 August 2009, 11:12:56 »
Just to make sure, is it one of these? -

Model 000

The labels on the back of the case usually didn't say much, if you were to open the casing, you'd see the sticker on the back plate says 'Model F'

all I've found out about it is that it cost 1665 finnish mark back in 1985.

Impressive. According to XE that's about €280 given the pegged exchange rate to the Euro, may have been more at the time. Roll over Topre...

The place you are looking for is Kbdbabel, the guy who runs the site has schematics and microcontroller assembly code for various protocol adaptors, including XT to AT.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 August 2009, 11:19:07 by ch_123 »

Offline kode

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 13 August 2009, 11:19:25 »
Yeah, it's one of those.

I'll have to take a look kbdbabel, then. cheers.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 13 August 2009, 11:21:12 »
What do you think about the feel of the keyboard btw?

Offline kode

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 13 August 2009, 11:39:41 »
Well, it feels subtly different to what I've gotten used to, but it's quite good. I guess it's a bit lighter than what I'm used to, esp. when compared to the odel M I have on hand. The spacebar is a bit stiffer than I'd like it to be, I guess, but other than that I like it.

The cork feet are also a nice touch. :)

Oh, right, opened it up for a quick glance, but apart from another cryptic sticker with some other numbers on it, as well as the same mfg date, and a sticker with signatures of the guys assembling it, no model sticker.

I'll also need to see if I can switch the µC in the schematics for some other, as I might be having trouble finding the exact model in the schematics. It'll be a long term project anyway, I suppose.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 August 2009, 11:58:59 by kode »

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 13 August 2009, 12:26:51 »
Quote from: kode;109464
Oh, right, opened it up for a quick glance, but apart from another cryptic sticker with some other numbers on it, as well as the same mfg date, and a sticker with signatures of the guys assembling it, no model sticker.

Just looking at the XT Model F disassembly in the Mods section, it seems Chloe's one was the same. Greenock must have had a different labeling system to the Lexington plant it seems.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 13 August 2009, 12:45:13 »
Quote from: ripster;109478
Could someone post the dimensions of the PC Model F (I assume XT and AT are the same) in the Keyboard Reference in the Wiki?  I want to see just how big these guys are.

The Model M 191401 (and probably all the other Ms) is 49x21x5cm (feet down).

The AT Model F is about as wide as Unicomp Endurapro, but a good bit deeper. The XT would be about the side width, but less deep (you can see this if you compare pictures of the two versions)

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 13 August 2009, 13:15:18 »
Quote from: kode;109458
I'll have to take a look kbdbabel, then. cheers.

If you build your own converter, please make a thread in the mod forum about it. Take many pictures.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline kode

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 13 August 2009, 13:31:54 »
Quote from: lowpoly;109496
If you build your own converter, please make a thread in the mod forum about it. Take many pictures.

Right. First thing is getting hold of a compatible microcontroller and so on, though.

Offline JBert

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 13 August 2009, 15:17:25 »
Quote from: kode;109451
Uh, I guess I'm digressing. Some searching around on the internet led me to believe it was at least possible to get PC/XT keyboards working under linux using the parkbd module and building an adapter for the parallell port. Which I guess would be an option if I could find the actual schematics for the adapter (and if the computers I use and plug keyboards into had parallell ports).
I tried to make one of those as well. I eventually found out that the schematics can be found in the driver's source file.
The sad thing is that my prototype won't work - somehow it triggers an interrupt, but no scancodes can be read. Instead, it seems as if it reads the clock data?!?

I guess building a protocol converter is the preferred way. Other options include buying one for $100, but I guess it's way cheaper to make one yourself should you have the means.

In the mean time, I'm also thinking of building a converter. I want to play around with the uC's programming though.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline kode

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 14 August 2009, 00:17:00 »
Yeah, I'm a lousy free software enthusiast who doesn't read very much of the code I compile. I'm still more keen on making a protocol converter, so I'll try to put together a parts list for it sometime soon, I'll just need to confirm that I have access to a programmer for the µC (which I found resellers for, finally), as well as perhaps some etching equipment (which'd be a first for me, but it looks much better than regular breadboarding).