Author Topic: Cherry MX Blues + Earplugs = Browns?  (Read 1771 times)

Offline CX23882

Cherry MX Blues + Earplugs = Browns?
« on: Sat, 15 August 2009, 05:34:21 »
Has anybody else tried the MX Blues whilst wearing earplugs? To me, they don't seem much different from the Browns. I think that a lot of the tactility you "feel" is a trick of the mind based on the noise that you hear making you think you should be feeling tactility.

Offline DarthShrine

• http://blog.darthshrine.com
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 15 August 2009, 05:37:26 »
I suspect this is probably true enough. When I wear earplugs and type on my M, it actually feels squishy to me, and I can't type as well on it.
Das Keyboard Ultimate
IBM Model M 1391401 (born in 1990)
Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2

Offline takasta

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 15 August 2009, 09:45:06 »
they are definately 2 different switches and not just with a simple difference of the sound though. The switch is built differently so that in the blue, there are 2 levels of pressure you apply before the key is detected. The first one lets you push about 1/4 of a cm down, then after that the click comes. There is definately a little bit of force required to press through that click, and then it makes an audible tactile noise yay! For the browns, you press about 1mm down, and then you hit the pressure point where you have to press a little bit harder to get the key to be detected by the keyboard. Its just a direct up and down. Definately a difference.
Cherry MX Blue DAS III, FKBN87MC/CB
Cherry MX Brown FKB104M/EB
Topre Capacitative Realforce UB103

Offline JBert

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 15 August 2009, 10:13:22 »
If you look at the internals of both of them, you'll see the blue has an extra moving part which causes the click and alters key feel due to inertia.

The brown is basically a solid plunger tripping the switch and hence doesn't do that much.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline watduzhkstand4

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 15 August 2009, 10:35:00 »
I definitely think that the blue clicks differently than the browns. The blues have this snappy feel when it's actuated while the browns feel like there are bumps on the switch as it's being depressed.
KEYBOARDS
Cherry Blue *Filco Tenkeyless w/ blank keys* w/ red ESC key thanks to Megarat
Cherry Red Noppoo Choc Mini
IBM Model M 1391401 12/15/88
Siig Minitouch w/ White Alps

SOLD
HHKB Pro 2 white w/ blank keys red ESC key and blank WASD keys
HHKB L-2
Cherry Brown Compaq mx11800
Dell AT101W
Cherry Red Leopold 104-key Otaku FC500RR/ABN

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 15 August 2009, 21:28:16 »
Quote from: watduzhkstand4;109862
I definitely think that the blue clicks differently than the browns. The blues have this snappy feel when it's actuated while the browns feel like there are bumps on the switch as it's being depressed.

I have never tried brown cherries, but you have a very good description of the blue cherries. There is a snappy feel. It's hard to miss the tactile point even is one is typing fast and with a lot of force.