Author Topic: Buckling spring vs Punk Alps  (Read 1517 times)

Offline InSanCen

Buckling spring vs Punk Alps
« on: Mon, 17 August 2009, 19:35:21 »
Okay....

After giving the Wang 724 (enough sniggering at the back), a fair trial, I have come to the conclusion that I bloody hate it.

The keys are simply too stiff to push properly, and I can feel the onset of wrist ache after just a few minutes hacking away at the keyboard. Hell, Mavis Beacon is quite concerned at my sudden drop in speed (from 75ish AWPM to 35ish AWPM)

Analysing my technique (poor as it is), I think this is because I seem to push al lot of the keys from an angle, rather than straight down. Although I am learning to touch-type properly, I have to Unlearn nearly 20 years of typing on Buckling spring. They will let you type "offcenter" quite happily, without the ache setting in.

Are most Alps switches like this?

I suspect it may well be different if I learn to type properly, (currently, it's look at screen, memorize, watch keys like a hawk... I think it's largely mental barriers at this point, the confidence to NOT look at the keys), but that isn't going to happen in a hurry. It could also be a well-worn keyboard, as this saw use as a daily driver from a coder for a good many years.

Either way, I am going to treat myself for my birthday, and get a shiny (nearly) new M13, and give my poor wrists a rest.

There, my thoughts on my crap typing, and a nice clicky, but hellishly painful keyboard. The extra Function keys rocked though.

My 1391406 is now going to resume it's rightful place, dodgy SDL cable and all...
Currently Using :- IBM M13 1996, Black :
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Project\'s :- Wang 724 Pink-->White Clicky : USB Model M : IBM LPFK :
Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
:

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 17 August 2009, 20:07:39 »
hehe wang

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 17 August 2009, 21:38:47 »
I attempted to use my Dell AT101W (which has black ALPS switches) for the day today, but I found it very fatiguing after a while, especially compared to my Model F.

My Cherry G84-4100 also came in today, and that's fairly similar to the ALPS in that the Cherry ML switches have a distinct, up-down action. The real advantage to the buckling spring mechanism is that it seems to need less centering on the keys...there's actually wiggle room in the actuation mechanism.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)