Author Topic: quote feature doesn't work  (Read 3714 times)

Offline Special K

quote feature doesn't work
« on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 21:10:56 »
When I click the "Quote" link next to a post, I expect to be taken to the "create new post" page with the text of the post I quoted already enclosed in the QUOTE tags.  Instead all that happens is a bar drops down from the top of my browser that says "Loading...", but then nothing happens.  I disabled AdBlockPlus but am still seeing this issue.  How is the quote feature supposed to work?  What could be going on here?
Filco FKBN104MC/EB
Filco FKBN104M/EB2
IBM Model M 1391401 - 11/13/87

Quote from: ripster
LOL - we're on post #163 of this mega-thread and you've gone from"keyboard n00b" to "keyboard sn0b".  We've done our job.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
Re: quote feature doesn't work
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 21:12:30 »
When I click the "Quote" link next to a post, I expect to be taken to the "create new post" page with the text of the post I quoted already enclosed in the QUOTE tags.  Instead all that happens is a bar drops down from the top of my browser that says "Loading...", but then nothing happens.  I disabled AdBlockPlus but am still seeing this issue.  How is the quote feature supposed to work?  What could be going on here?

I have no idea what is going on.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 21:44:45 »
Does it happen with every post? I have this issue with certain members.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 22:35:42 »
Someone else reported this recently, but in the middle of a conversation somewhere else that I can't find at the moment.

It does happen sometimes, I get it every now and again.

Originally I thought it was due to my poor internet connection, which used to drop out every 5 minutes.  But the internet connection is more stable now, and this problem still happens from time to time.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 23:54:15 »

I have no idea what is going on.

Does it happen with every post? I have this issue with certain members.

Someone else reported this recently, but in the middle of a conversation somewhere else that I can't find at the moment.

Originally I thought it was due to my poor internet connection, which used to drop out every 5 minutes.  But the internet connection is more stable now, and this problem still happens from time to time.

Everything seems to work for me.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 00:00:34 »

This quote worked for me.  But every now and again it does not work - it just hangs.  Reloading the page usually fixes it for me, on the few occasions when it happens.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 00:06:43 »

This quote worked for me.  But every now and again it does not work - it just hangs.  Reloading the page usually fixes it for me, on the few occasions when it happens.

ohhh~~~~ now i know what you're talking about. Yeah i've been getting those hangs too, it shows a white loading bar at the top of the page and just sits there. I never noticed or thought about it till now.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Special K

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 01:19:01 »

ohhh~~~~ now i know what you're talking about. Yeah i've been getting those hangs too, it shows a white loading bar at the top of the page and just sits there. I never noticed or thought about it till now.

Well now it seems to work.  I clicked on the "Quote" button next to your post, saw the "Loading..." bar drop down for a split second, then disappear, and then the text of your post appeared in the text box at the bottom of the screen.

It seems to be an intermittent issue.
Filco FKBN104MC/EB
Filco FKBN104M/EB2

LOL - we're on post #163 of this mega-thread and you've gone from"keyboard n00b" to "keyboard sn0b".  We've done our job.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 15:44:11 »
I had this recently with 2 posts that just would not quote, no matter how many times I reloaded.

In the end I forgot what I was going to post for one, and the other just created a new post without quoting.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 15:53:15 »
this has been an intermittent issue for a while now...

there is one particular user who cannot be quoted without throwing an error... think it's 0100010
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 18:42:53 »
I think it's happening with members that are using some Unicode font in their browser. I've noticed problems quoting certain people, and then when I can quote them, there are strange symbols instead of punctuation at times.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 00:42:48 »
I think it's happening with members that are using some Unicode font in their browser. I've noticed problems quoting certain people, and then when I can quote them, there are strange symbols instead of punctuation at times.

That's an interesting observation.

Could it be possible that some members have, perhaps inadvertently, managed to get some Unicode characters in their usernames?

Offline Special K

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 21:42:35 »

That's an interesting observation.

Could it be possible that some members have, perhaps inadvertently, managed to get some Unicode characters in their usernames?

It even seems to be thread dependent.  I was just about to post the quote feature is broken again, yet the above quote from this thread worked without issue.  If I go back to a thread in the keyboards forum and try to quote, I get the "Loading" bar at the top of the screen, but the quote never appears.

Update: it even seems to be user-dependent within the same thread.  I was able to quote one member in a particular thread, but not another.
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 April 2015, 22:12:27 by Special K »
Filco FKBN104MC/EB
Filco FKBN104M/EB2

Offline tbc

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 22:43:17 »
i...think it's cause php is a dumb ****.

the forum code is probably using a 'php approved' type system algorithm and it's getting tripped up by javascript's notype system.  i wouldn't be surprised if the php system was put in place to handle ie5/6 and simply doesn't work on better browsers.

ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline plegnic

• Treble Booty. Bass Guitar.
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 22:47:56 »

the forum code is probably using a 'php approved' type system algorithm and it's getting tripped up by javascript's notype system.  i wouldn't be surprised if the php system was put in place to handle ie5/6 and simply doesn't work on better browsers.
PHP is all server-side though and is weakly typed. I'd agree it does seem to be an issue w/ the way SMF is built.
Planck MIT layout [MX Clears] (in-progress) | QuickFire Storm TK [MX Brown] | Poker II [MX Blue]

Offline tbc

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 22:56:05 »

PHP is all server-side though and is weakly typed. I'd agree it does seem to be an issue w/ the way SMF is built.

php is used to build html templates; allowing the opportunity for a php library to inject scripts to 'modify' JS so that it feels more like PHP on the serverside when the dev has to write frontend code

please refer to script.js.

one section of the code i was referring to is:  String.prototype.php_to8bit = function ()

i haven't stepped through or overviewed the code really, so i'm not confident about the source
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline plegnic

• Treble Booty. Bass Guitar.
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 23:05:36 »

php is used to build html templates; allowing the opportunity for a php library to inject scripts to 'modify' JS so that it feels more like PHP on the serverside when the dev has to write frontend code

please refer to script.js.

one section of the code i was referring to is:  String.prototype.php_to8bit = function ()

i haven't stepped through or overviewed the code really, so i'm not confident about the source
Ah yeah I misread what you were saying.
Planck MIT layout [MX Clears] (in-progress) | QuickFire Storm TK [MX Brown] | Poker II [MX Blue]