Author Topic: Tp4 Reviews Cricket Wireless  (Read 14526 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Tp4 Reviews Cricket Wireless
« on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 12:25:51 »

So..... Just signed up @ the Cricket..

Currently, I have another phone on At&t,  which is the parent network of Cricket..

Today, I drove around my weekend route,  Asian Food store, Costco, Home Depot, Loews..

And compared the LTE service side by side.

Results:

Asian Food store:

Cricket- Latency 320 ms,   UL - 6.37 mbps, DL - 0.35 mbps
At&t-     Latency   37 ms,   UL - 9.10 mbps, DL - 1.05 mbps

Costco:

Cricket- Latency 190 ms,   UL - 6.35 mbps,   DL - 1.50   mbps
At&t-     Latency   45 ms,   UL - 11.44 mbps, DL - 3.78 mbps

Home Depot:

Cricket- Latency 380 ms,  UL - 2.45 mbps,  DL - 0.50    mbps
At&t-    Latency   54 ms,  UL - 3.81 mbps,  DL - 2.78  mbps

Lowes:

Cricket- Latency 174 ms,  UL - 7.86 mbps,    DL - 2.57   mbps
At&t-     Latency   40 ms,  UL - 19.44 mbps,  DL - 6.78   mbps

Conclusion...

So the largest difference is the network priority given to the At&t native service.

In every case, the Latency is much-much lower on att than cricket..

The overall Download rate is not significantly different between locations, But obviously Cricket is capped at 8mbps vs the full 22 capacity of At&t's maximum.

ANOTHER main issue, that isn't highlighted in the table above,   is that as I was comparing the speeds side by side , the UPLOAD on the the Cricket will always start LATER than the At&t..

Once the At&t test finishes,  the Cricket Upload test will finally start moving..

So Upload priority is the biggest difference.. This would make a large gap if ya'll younger kids are playing games where latency would cripple ur odds of wins..

For General Internet Browsing.. The difference is not significant, because that's not a latency intensive task...

PRICING DIFFERENCE:

On Cricket, if you get 3x 2.5GB lte lines, that's $90 a month out the door.

At&t, has 3x 4GB lte lines, for $120 + tax,  ~$135 out the door.

So that's the difference of ~ $400-450 a year.. (price of a galaxy s7)..

Choose wisely folks.. 

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Tp4 Reviews Cricket Wireless
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 16:43:58 »
As usual, location matters most, AT&T in your area is saturated, hence the crappy speeds even on post-pay AT&T.
Those speeds are what I used to get on Virgin 3g (Sprint, which is saturated here), by comparison, most everywhere I go on Cricket I get full speed and low ping times, as well as better coverage.

I would find out who has the faster and better coverage in your area and give that a try.

Also, your pricing,
You based your price on 3 lines, if you only need a single line, Cricket's price would destroy the AT&T cost. I pay $30 a month for Cricket, in fact, I've never paid more than $35 a month for cell service. Ever. It amazes me what people spend on cell service because they don't research it at all.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 16:49:03 »
LOL, Cricket is pretty ghetto TP...

"but Digi, Cricket was bought by AT&T, that means they have the same coverage"

Correct answer = no, cricket is for free phones for people with bad credit. I know TP doesn't have bad credit.. Bandwidth is throttled and coverage takes a backseat to the real cellular providers.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 17:15:40 »
As usual, location matters most, AT&T in your area is saturated, hence the crappy speeds even on post-pay AT&T.
Those speeds are what I used to get on Virgin 3g (Sprint, which is saturated here), by comparison, most everywhere I go on Cricket I get full speed and low ping times, as well as better coverage.

I would find out who has the faster and better coverage in your area and give that a try.

Also, your pricing,
You based your price on 3 lines, if you only need a single line, Cricket's price would destroy the AT&T cost. I pay $30 a month for Cricket, in fact, I've never paid more than $35 a month for cell service. Ever. It amazes me what people spend on cell service because they don't research it at all.

It definitely depends on the area..  But overall.....  Traffic priority is the issue here..

Now,  this was tested with  2 phones next to each other..

If I test the phones cricket and att individually,  The cricket gets roughly double - triple the upload rate in the chart..

This really just illustrates how BIASED  att is with the network traffic..

Imagine  more phones in a denser populated area..   the Cricket 's Upload side wouldn't move at all, whereas the att would..

Good thing i got this phone unlocked on my second day of service..  Probably move to att go-phone after my 2 months with cricket is up.. and try out the att go-phone service.

As for saturation.. I don't think that's the case around here..   the bandwidth is about right for a low density area where they wouldn't bother to build a billion towers as ROI is low..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 17:18:29 »

Correct answer = no, cricket is for free phones for people with bad credit. I know TP doesn't have bad credit.. Bandwidth is throttled and coverage takes a backseat to the real cellular providers.

Just trying to save $460 .. .. 

Since I don't go outside that much neway.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 17:34:56 »

Just trying to save $460 ..
Show Image

Just buy a phone, don't activate it, use wifi and skype or something.....just saved you $460! :P

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 18:17:36 »

Just trying to save $460 ..
Show Image

Just buy a phone, don't activate it, use wifi and skype or something.....just saved you $460! :P

If i were @ home only.. I'd just use the desktop..  Can't overclock fone without it burning out...

I was really excited for that aftermarket active cooling cellphone case.. but they never made it.. just prototype.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 18:58:17 »
This really just illustrates how BIASED  att is with the network traffic..

As for saturation.. I don't think that's the case around here..   the bandwidth is about right for a low density area where they wouldn't bother to build a billion towers as ROI is low..
Throttle/traffic shaping usually only kicks in when traffic is heavy, and yes, those numbers are low for a low density area in my experience.

Ping however can be due to AT&T running Cricket through a different proxy server, but I thought they were changing that (may be Virgin I'm thinking of). However, there is a way to alter the settings in your phone to use the newer/ faster servers, it's a trick Android rom builders like myself have used for a while now.

There is also a prioritization number built into the phone which can dictate how your traffic is shaped and this number is random. So you may get a great Cricket priority and a garbage AT&T priority making Cricket service actually better, it just depends on the luck of the draw. Some rom builders also tweak this number, though there is some question as to how good it works or even how to best take advantage of it.

Actually, almost every carrier, pre and post paid give away free phones with activation a few times a year.

Other than priority and roaming, prepaid is just as good as post paid these days. Priority is simply a matter of finding who has the most bandwidth in your area, and roaming is fixed pretty easily by finding a carrier with coverage in your area.

Cricket wasn't ghetto, that was/is Metro PCS. Cricket was just shady, with stores activating pretty much ANY phone you brought in, stolen or otherwise.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 19:02:43 »
Actually, almost every carrier, pre and post paid give away free phones with activation a few times a year.

The phones they give away are crap, I'm talking about real phones here Leslie.

Cricket wasn't ghetto, that was/is Metro PCS. Cricket was just shady

Cricket is ghetto where I live, shady is very close to ghetto Leslie.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 20:30:16 »

Tp4 wil get real fone when getz rich..

Digi.. you help tp4 get rich..

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 20:32:04 »

Tp4 wil get real fone when getz rich..

Digi.. you help tp4 get rich..
Show Image

Just keep the guides coming and we're even my bruva.. ;)

Offline YoshiCaps

• yes, oh god no.
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 20:39:08 »
honetly, it could be worse. I used to use virgin mobile and you don't wanna KNOW the nickname I gave to it.

now I use t mobile one and its great
hi.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 21:22:39 »

99.999% of people (especially Iphone users) could do everything they do on a free or $30 Android.

While still a popular phone one was giving away an Alcatel Idol 3, which was one of the best bang for the buck models you could get at the time. So, not always junk.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 21:49:21 »

99.999% of people (especially Iphone users) could do everything they do on a free or $30 Android.

While still a popular phone one was giving away an Alcatel Idol 3, which was one of the best bang for the buck models you could get at the time. So, not always junk.

I used the ipho5 for the past 2 years..   pretty sure the idol 3 is faster by alot.

Offline ygor

• eat a butt, monkey lord
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 21:52:14 »
If you ain't rockin' a Motorola I don't even wanna know you, son.
I generally hate all keycaps. Keycaps are for poofs. Real men touchtype on stems. Non-functional artisans are awesome, I use them for the ESC key ... escape is for cowards anyways, real men go frontal assault.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 12:37:15 »
Been on the Cricket for a few days now..

Hearthstone rolls along without skipping a beat..   I have had disconnections,  but very few... 1/50 games that I've played.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 07 December 2016, 20:12:40 »
I'm already laughing and I didn't read a word of this.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 00:24:31 »
While AT&T bought Cricket, they (at least used to) have their own infrastructure.  It may not be fully merged.  I know at one time long ago, they were CDMA while AT&T is GSM.

We had it *many years ago* when it first came out here... a Nokia 5170i and a plan that included no long distance or roaming, but unlimited local calls for something like 25USD per month.  We could tell exactly where the service cut out at the edge of town (bordering an Indian reservation here).  We eventually switched to T-Nobile and sat on a zero-text zero-data plan until like three months ago.  My work p[rovided me a series of AT&T devices, so updating the old flip phones was not a priority.

I bought shares in them a while back, and profited nicely when the price doubled on AT&T's takeover bid.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 08:32:23 »
While AT&T bought Cricket, they (at least used to) have their own infrastructure.  It may not be fully merged.  I know at one time long ago, they were CDMA while AT&T is GSM.

We had it *many years ago* when it first came out here... a Nokia 5170i and a plan that included no long distance or roaming, but unlimited local calls for something like 25USD per month.  We could tell exactly where the service cut out at the edge of town (bordering an Indian reservation here).  We eventually switched to T-Nobile and sat on a zero-text zero-data plan until like three months ago.  My work p[rovided me a series of AT&T devices, so updating the old flip phones was not a priority.

I bought shares in them a while back, and profited nicely when the price doubled on AT&T's takeover bid.

Hahahhahahahahahha..

You bought shares in an Mvno ?

That takes major cajones... //Congratulations...

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 11:47:13 »
I have 2 Iphone 7 pluses with unlimited data and unlimited tethering and an Ipad with 5 gig of highspeed data and unlimited throttled data.

This is through T-Mobile

Total cost is $170 a month. I can drop the ipad and it would be $150 a month.

Phones are mine after 2 years.

For me $150 for unlimited data on everything including in foreign countrys (Girlfriend is a flight attendent) is huge.

Not to mention their trade up programs for the phones.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 12:42:07 »
I have 2 Iphone 7 pluses with unlimited data and unlimited tethering and an Ipad with 5 gig of highspeed data and unlimited throttled data.

This is through T-Mobile

For me $150 for unlimited data on everything including in foreign countrys (Girlfriend is a flight attendent) is huge.

we're not doing this nemore...  it's like Prison..

Rather just buy the phone...

Trade also usually just means a Longer Prison sentence..

hahahaha

Unlimited LTE is good.. but I thought about this alot while considering tmobile or cricket.

And it doesn't actually make sense to have this unless it's for work.. 

Because the tasks that a person WOULD DO which requires so much data could be accomplished way faster AT HOME or even Starbucks wifi..

So.. while the service is there for peace of mind.. The practical utility of it is low..

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 09 December 2016, 13:04:44 »

This is through T-Mobile

we're not doing this nemore...  it's like Prison..

Rather just buy the phone...

Trade also usually just means a Longer Prison sentence

hahahaha

Unlimited LTE is good.. but I thought about this alot while considering tmobile or cricket.

And it doesn't actually make sense to have this unless it's for work.. 

Because the tasks that a person WOULD DO which requires so much data could be accomplished way faster AT HOME or even Starbucks wifi..

So.. while the service is there for peace of mind.. The practical utility of it is low..

Not really.

If I wanted to leave T-Mobile; Other services like Verizon and AT&T will pay the balance to transfer.

This allows me to have the latest and greatest in phones.

I also dont have to upgrade, I can keep the phone and typicaly can lower my monthly cost.

And for data, Unlimited LTE is amazing. I can play hearthstone in my car during lunchbreak for an hour everyday. I can also stream music in long car rides or have netflix running in the car for the girlfriend.

Also we facetime a lot due to her always traveling. Sometimes wifi can be shotty and lte is faster.

Also for people who have bad/new credit, while it is not much, it is a good way to build some good credit up when you go under contract.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 22:25:25 »
Cricket for drug burners

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 08:24:27 »
Cricket for drug burners

Dude I was just thinking about getting a burner..

They got the lg xpower fone for $10...