Author Topic: [IC] Eclipse - 70% gasket mount keyboard (moved to GB)  (Read 234622 times)

Offline KMPLSV

Re: [IC] Eclipse - a "TKL" 60% Keyboard
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 23:54:03 »
keep the dream alive!

Offline snurrebassen

• mechanical keyboard designer and enthusiast
    • Linktree
« Reply #151 on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 03:29:57 »
Any specific plans for the gasket material at this time? Poron seems like the hot material at the moment, but I'll admit I'm not a materials engineer and don't fully understand it.

Shoot! I thought I replied to you, I must have left a draft somewhere then.

I've been looking into different types of materials. I want to make assembly as simple as possible so I'm for the prototype I'm gonna try 3M silicone pads, which will be die cut to fit the case, and will already have an adhesive surface so every customer will assemble these themselves.

If the quality doesn't meet up with what I'm after, I'm gonna try silicone molded pads, which are expensive but will feel way more premium, and will have a smoother look, as you can shape them however you want. Attaching them to the case is another thing to think about though, since there are about 32 gaskets per case!

Offline Exemplar

« Reply #152 on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 04:32:45 »
Great looking board. I personally dont like plate-mount stabs, but if that is changed, this would be a very easy buy for me. Great work.
Da pacem, Domine, in diebus nostris
Quia non est alius
Qui pugnet pro nobis
Nisi tu Deus noster.

Offline snurrebassen

• Linktree
« Reply #153 on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 04:36:54 »
Great looking board. I personally dont like plate-mount stabs, but if that is changed, this would be a very easy buy for me. Great work.
Thank you!
I'm a big user of screw in stabilizers myself so the plate is designed to fit both plate mount stabs and screw-in stabs :)

At least it should fit both....prototype will show!

Offline Shutter_Shock

« Reply #154 on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 17:49:14 »
I am also curious about doing the strips in the other direction. I’ve always seen them running the length of the board left to right rather than front to back. It looks like the screw holes in this design might get in the way of that though. I think having strips running front to back should still give better traction than round dots, and they will still be less likely to accidentally come off.

I take back what I said. I just remembered that the Bauer has the rubber strip feet running front to back rather than left to right, and there didn't seem to be any problems with it when I checked out the proto at a meetup. Front to back is probably better for this board since left to right would interfere with the screws, and the strips would have to be placed too far in, reducing stability.

Thank you!
I'm a big user of screw in stabilizers myself so the plate is designed to fit both plate mount stabs and screw-in stabs :)

At least it should fit both....prototype will show!

+1 for screw-in stabs. Zeal's are incredible.

Any specific plans for the gasket material at this time? Poron seems like the hot material at the moment, but I'll admit I'm not a materials engineer and don't fully understand it.

Shoot! I thought I replied to you, I must have left a draft somewhere then.

I've been looking into different types of materials. I want to make assembly as simple as possible so I'm for the prototype I'm gonna try 3M silicone pads, which will be die cut to fit the case, and will already have an adhesive surface so every customer will assemble these themselves.

If the quality doesn't meet up with what I'm after, I'm gonna try silicone molded pads, which are expensive but will feel way more premium, and will have a smoother look, as you can shape them however you want. Attaching them to the case is another thing to think about though, since there are about 32 gaskets per case!

Haha no problem; thanks for the reply! And sounds good! I trust your judgement for the material. Regarding attaching the gaskets, having customers do it definitely seems like the way to go. Maybe include a couple extra though in case of accidents?

Also hope everyone is staying safe and healthy in these trying times. Remember to periodically sanitize your keycaps!
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 March 2020, 17:54:00 by Shutter_Shock »

Offline noorejji

« Reply #155 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 12:42:34 »
Will you offer to sell directly in Norway, or only through vendors?

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #156 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 20:54:37 »
Now this sparked my interest, I've wanted a 65 but this hits all my happy places with its design.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline TacoTypes

« Reply #157 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 09:48:52 »
This is honestly exactly what I was looking for. I hope it lands somewhere in my price range...
Love this layout much more than 65% and traditional TKL. I really hope we can get this bad boy out of IC and into GB.
My only special request is that the hot-swap stays! <3

Offline snurrebassen

• Linktree
« Reply #158 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 06:39:11 »
I don't have the experience nor contacts in Norway to sell this here. If I did, i definitely would, but Mykeyboard usually offers a refund for the VAT, so it should be fine :)

Now this sparked my interest, I've wanted a 65 but this hits all my happy places with its design.
Thank you, good to hear!!

This is honestly exactly what I was looking for. I hope it lands somewhere in my price range...
Love this layout much more than 65% and traditional TKL. I really hope we can get this bad boy out of IC and into GB.
My only special request is that the hot-swap stays! <3
Love to hear this. I've always felt that 65% layouts are incomplete in a way. There is something "asymmetrical" about it, which is why I wanted to do something like this instead.
Currently we have ordered the prototypes of each option this case will come in. Once the prototypes have been checked and worked with, this will be moved swiftly into GB :)

Offline noorejji

« Reply #159 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 06:49:37 »
I don't have the experience nor contacts in Norway to sell this here. If I did, i definitely would, but Mykeyboard usually offers a refund for the VAT, so it should be fine :)
I understand. I hope the Norwegian kroner will have recovered in time for the GB, I’m not joining any current GB’s because of it.

Offline sendpie

« Reply #160 on: Fri, 27 March 2020, 13:23:15 »
lol i was just thinking about if only keyboards have a layout like this ...

Offline Tobu

« Reply #161 on: Fri, 27 March 2020, 13:49:04 »
Interested to hearing how this sounds. Any timeline on a prototype?

Offline snurrebassen

• Linktree
Re: [IC] Eclipse - a &quot;TKL&quot; 60% Keyboard
« Reply #162 on: Fri, 27 March 2020, 13:51:35 »
No definite timeline yet. Prototypes are ordered though, and shouldn’t be more than a few weeks to produce :)  I’m planning on streaming the build and testing of it, i will post info on this once I know more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dPaK

« Reply #163 on: Fri, 27 March 2020, 15:34:11 »
No definite timeline yet. Prototypes are ordered though, and shouldn’t be more than a few weeks to produce :)  I’m planning on streaming the build and testing of it, i will post info on this once I know more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in with this keyboard, I was looking for some tkl but have seen nothing special lately, but Eclipse looks beautiful and I want it. I'm looking towards this streaming build, it will be awesome. Good work dude.

Offline KZzzz

« Reply #164 on: Sat, 28 March 2020, 15:45:09 »
Really interested in this board! I also feel that 65% boards are not as good looking and can be overrated sometimes, this board just hits the spots perfectly for me! I think I will build a WKL for the symmetry, and I will use GMK Apollo to match the theme. Keep up the good work man, I really hope that this board hit the GB.

BTW, just a thought: what if the weight is not centered of the whole board but instead centered around the alphanumeric cluster (the 60% portion of the board)? I know this might be too late of a suggestion since you already ordered a prototype.

Anyway, thank you for doing all this, the community need more out-of-the-box ideas such as this one!

Offline subluxe

• サブラックス
    • https://subluxe.ca/
« Reply #165 on: Sat, 28 March 2020, 16:05:07 »
Sign me up, this is my new favorite layout

Offline dPaK

« Reply #166 on: Sat, 28 March 2020, 18:33:37 »
I would like ALPS PCB option if it can be done. I could buy both the regular and alps version to try

Offline dannyny

« Reply #167 on: Sat, 28 March 2020, 23:19:55 »
just when you thin you were done with keyboards, you find this. awesome design. curious on what the pricing would be and what material options besides aluminum.

Offline Sagan

« Reply #168 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 01:11:58 »
Sick! This is a must get for me!

Offline doralikesmath

« Reply #169 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 06:10:45 »
Eagerly waiting to see the build stream of the prototype :thumb:

Offline snurrebassen

• Linktree
« Reply #170 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 08:20:03 »
Thank you all so much for your kind words, I am pleasantly overwhelmed!

The prototypes is officially in production now, so stay tuned :)  :thumb:

Offline mckeown1504

« Reply #171 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 12:51:15 »
Looks very nice

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #172 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 18:48:56 »

The prototypes is officially in production now, so stay tuned :)  :thumb:
Excited for that proto

Offline TheInverseKey

• You can run but you cannot hide!
« Reply #173 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 20:48:56 »
I would like ALPS PCB option if it can be done. I could buy both the regular and alps version to try

Alps would be amazing!

Offline snurrebassen

• Linktree
« Reply #174 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 00:57:31 »

Alps would be amazing!

The PCB will have alps support, and I'm gonna work on making a separate alps PCB :)

No 100% solid promises yet though but I'm gonna try!

Offline DoctorNunu

• Masterworks
« Reply #175 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 01:24:15 »
Count me in on 3 units  ;D

Offline holer

« Reply #176 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 08:11:48 »
This is so good you made me make an account!  ;D ;D

ISO all the way!

Offline Glychd

« Reply #177 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 06:45:01 »
I really like this design. Any chance of hotswap with this one?

Offline caonv

« Reply #178 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 08:08:15 »

The prototypes is officially in production now, so stay tuned :) :thumb:

If the price for the basic kit is under $350, count me in for a WKL version  :-\

Offline Module

« Reply #179 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 09:41:15 »
Looks amazing, definitely interested :)

Offline dannyny

« Reply #180 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 20:37:47 »
hotswap would be great as well.

Offline celta

« Reply #181 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 20:44:01 »
Count me in for 1 of these. Do you know what layout the alps plate would support? WKL support would be awesome for the alps plate.

Offline pleinolijf

« Reply #182 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 07:58:46 »
VERY high chance of this being my first keyboard GB... Hotswap pcb would trigger it. Also loving the possibility of different layouts.

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #183 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 09:17:28 »
+1 for ALPS support, but you should be careful with the available layouts and plates. ALPS switches don't work well on multi-position holes since they hold by the sides, so ideally it'd be best to make 1 or 2 fixed layout plates for ALPS.

Offline snurrebassen

• Linktree
« Reply #184 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 09:06:28 »
Hello all! I hope you enjoyed your easter holidays as much as you could, and I hope you are doing well :)

The case is still in production, the easter holidays came up just after I sent the files off, so it's being programmed right now.

If you could all fill out this form, specifically for the PCB and layout options it would be a great help to gauge our final options for the PCBs!

Meanwhile I'm working on general designs for the packaging/general branding look :)

Thank you all for your continued support!!

Stay tuned  ;D

Offline SteffeMK

« Reply #185 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 09:39:43 »
Hello all! I hope you enjoyed your easter holidays as much as you could, and I hope you are doing well :)

The case is still in production, the easter holidays came up just after I sent the files off, so it's being programmed right now.

If you could all fill out this form, specifically for the PCB and layout options it would be a great help to gauge our final options for the PCBs!

Meanwhile I'm working on general designs for the packaging/general branding look :)

Thank you all for your continued support!!

Stay tuned  ;D

Filled in, really like this layout!

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #186 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 11:31:11 »
Filled in, really looking forward to this little beauty.  If the quality of this ends up being good, this could be a real gem of a keyboard.  I would love to see some different colours brought to this, I bought the Cafe set and I would love something unique to put it on just like this.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 April 2020, 11:32:53 by hottrout »
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #187 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 11:35:36 »
Filled out! Looking forward to this!

Offline iaman

« Reply #188 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 20:14:00 »
Filled out as well!

Offline TopreMoon

« Reply #189 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 22:01:41 »
Would be interested in a HHKB layout version!

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #190 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 00:00:08 »
Will this support WKL blockers? I'm in if it supports split backspace with wkl blockers :)

Offline TheInverseKey

• You can run but you cannot hide!
« Reply #191 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 09:44:29 »
Count me in for 1 of these. Do you know what layout the alps plate would support? WKL support would be awesome for the alps plate.

I agree, AT101 layout with blockers would be preferred if possible.

Offline Tree14

• Just a guy with an unusual hobby
« Reply #192 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 06:28:12 »
C0P

Offline shenan97

« Reply #193 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 07:56:33 »
I really hope this goes into GB, it's a sexy looking board.

Offline snurrebassen

• Linktree
« Reply #194 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 15:24:20 »
We are still trying to figure out what to do with the alps situation. From the IC of the PCB I recently posted very few have requested ALPS support so we're working on the best solution. I'm really hoping we can include those. The ALPS plate will most likely support the same layouts :)

A WKL option for the top part of the case will be available!

I really hope this goes into GB, it's a sexy looking board.

Thank you so much!  :)

Pictures from the factory, the cases are done and ready for polishing and anodizing! :)

However sadly I discovered too late that the inner holes for the keycaps are about 1mm too wide on all sides, so there might be a little bit bigger gap between the keycaps and the case edges, we will see. In any case this is what prototyping is for!
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 April 2020, 15:26:10 by snurrebassen »

Offline Shutter_Shock

« Reply #195 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 20:30:30 »
Pictures from the factory, the cases are done and ready for polishing and anodizing! :)
Show Image

However sadly I discovered too late that the inner holes for the keycaps are about 1mm too wide on all sides, so there might be a little bit bigger gap between the keycaps and the case edges, we will see. In any case this is what prototyping is for!

YOOOOOOO That's super exciting! Looks good!

Offline Erigorin

« Reply #196 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 02:18:06 »
Aw yeah, love the shape! Looking good!

Offline ephemeral25

« Reply #197 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 05:07:02 »
I can't wait for this board.

I hope that a raw or light silver color option will be available.

Any idea of the weight of the current proto case?

Offline MarqueoS

« Reply #198 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 09:54:01 »
Man this looks nice. I know it's a bit early but does anyone have an estimation of the price range this is looking to be?

Offline VXQN

« Reply #199 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 10:20:54 »

Show Image

Looks great! What is the generally agreed on dimension between caps and case sidewalls? Or PCB switch footprint and case sidewalls?