Author Topic: Recased (for rackmount) G80/G81-1800 with trackball  (Read 40656 times)

Offline Rayndalf

Recased (for rackmount) G80/G81-1800 with trackball
« on: Wed, 30 October 2019, 18:19:01 »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Beschadigtem-Siegel-Keyboard-PS2-Connection-/282115039250

Not sure what kind of deal this is (recased G80/G81-1800 with lasered keycaps, winkey layout), but the case should fit a TKC1800 and it is metal with a trackball beneath the space bar, so it could be similar to a SKB60 in the 1800 layout with a bit of work.

Not sure why its so overengineered when the G80-11800/11900 was already purpose built for rackmount applications and since this was based on a winkeyed cherry board it would have been competing with the 11900, but it is pretty nifty. I might make an offer on it if I decide I need another 1800.
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 October 2019, 23:53:11 by Rayndalf »

Offline Rayndalf

Re: Recased (for rackmount) G80/G81-1800 with trackball
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 17 November 2019, 02:19:04 »
So I really couldn't help myself and bought one, as I hoped its a G81-1800 (1998 production) in a fancy case.

The board is laughably over engineered, and quite possibly designed for installation in an aircraft or some other 'extreme' environment (otherwise a G80-11900 off the shelf would fit in a server rack drawer quite well for much less)

Offline resetLetki

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 10 November 2020, 10:37:23 »
Love how overkill this looks on the desk. With that trackball as well.

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 10 November 2020, 14:57:43 »
It was designed to ride on rackmount sliders (and "be the desk" as well as the keyboard I guess). Unfortunately this one is missing those sliders. I got a replacement PCB and an OG doubleshot Cherry keyset to replace the one it came with, but converting the ball is proving challenging (serial is strange and there are no off the shelf converters?)

Offline resetLetki

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 11 November 2020, 02:37:15 »
I can seem to find Serial to PS2 adapters. Probably a bit finnicky but you could solder the trackball cables to a Serial to PS2 and then connect/solder that an active PS2 to USB adapter and try it out. It also seems that there would be alot of space either at the bottom or at the top of the keyboard to hide all of those adapters/cables. The Trackball is connected to the keyboard controller right?

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 11 November 2020, 04:26:21 »
I can seem to find Serial to PS2 adapters. Probably a bit finnicky but you could solder the trackball cables to a Serial to PS2 and then connect/solder that an active PS2 to USB adapter and try it out. It also seems that there would be alot of space either at the bottom or at the top of the keyboard to hide all of those adapters/cables. The Trackball is connected to the keyboard controller right?

Internally the keyboard and ball are entirely separate devices (a Cherry MY keyboard assembly and a serial trackball module) that "share" a cable (which was effectively two cables in one sleeve). I've replaced the keyboard PCB, so now all I need to do is convert the ball and connect both to a small USB hub internally so that they can share a cable.

I'm not sure if passive serial to PS/2 devices work (unless the device was designed to be "dual mode" kind of like how some of Microsoft's USB mice also supported PS/2 when connected with an included "dumb" adapter). I might try it anyway though.

I'll figure it out one way or another. Serial must be a weirder beast than I thought considering so many terminal connectors used on keyboards have been reverse engineered and serial... hasn't?