Author Topic: Anker vs Perixx Vertical Mouse  (Read 16684 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Anker vs Perixx Vertical Mouse
« on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 16:29:48 »
Recently, I've been looking for a vertical mouse for general use.  I love my Mionix Naos, but horizontal mice all seem to start to become a little uncomfortable after extended use.  I've used one of the Evoluent vertical mice and it was awesome, but they're well outside my price range.  On the other hand, the Anker vertical mouse and Perixx Perimice-713 vertical mouse are both much more affordable and appear to have better ergonomics than a bunch of the other mice out there.  I'm a little wary of the Perixx since it looks like it is shorted (maybe too short) and most the weight might rest on my pinky when using it, but I'm not sure.  Does anyone have any experience with these or have a recommendation?

Ideally, I'd have a wired mouse, but all the wired mice I've seen have your pinky or pinky and ring finger resting on the mouse pad, which isn't exactly comfortable.  If you know of any good alternatives, I'm all ears.

Offline Findecanor

Re: Anker vs Perixx Vertical Mouse
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 16:40:58 »
The Anker and Perixx look identical to me. Apparently, there is a corded version also.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 16:49:30 »
If you look at the dimensions, the Anker is about 1/2" taller while the Perixx is a hair wider and a hair longer.

I saw comments about a corded Anker vertical mouse, but can't find it for sale.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 16:50:11 »
I have had a couple of these and been extremely pleased, especially the one I upgraded with lighter switches.

Stay away from the horrible vertical Evoluent style.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Ergonomic-Design-WOWPEN-Vertical-USB-Optical-Mouse-JOY-Wrist-Pain-hot-USB-/221181040125?pt=Mice&hash=item337f6ad5fd

If they only made left-hand models!

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 16:52:56 »
I was looking at that model, but it looks like you'd be resting your ring finger and pinky finger on the mouse pad with it.  I have a bigger hand (the Naos is too small for a proper palm grip), so I'm worried about that with that particular mouse.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 17:15:56 »
I also have a large hand and use the palm grip.

You are exactly right, those 2 fingers drag on the ground, which I have come to love. It gives excellent control, although I am not a gamer so my definition of "excellent control" may be far different from someone else's.

For 10 bucks you really need to feel the Joy. I have used if for over half a year and absolutely love it.

Find an old Logitech or Microsoft mouse and transplant the Omron switches into the Joy to complete the experience.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 18:07:04 »
If only there was a way to test the mouse out before buying it.  I'd rather not buy two different mice to find one that suits me.  Omron switches aren't too expensive though.  You can find 5 of them for $4 shipped on eBay.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 18:27:17 »
My but those things are ugly. And here I thought the R.A.T. Cyborg held the crown for worlds most hideous abomination of a mouse. What are the benefits of a vertical mouse besides ergonomics?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 18:32:16 »
It's entirely ergonomics.  The more natural position to hold a mouse is like you're going to give someone a handshake.  A good vertical mouse tries to replicate that.  It makes for a funky looking mouse, but it's more ergonomic and, once you're used to it, more comfortable.

And, to be fair, I still think the R.A.T. is uglier.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 18:50:12 »
It's entirely ergonomics.  The more natural position to hold a mouse is like you're going to give someone a handshake.  A good vertical mouse tries to replicate that.  It makes for a funky looking mouse, but it's more ergonomic and, once you're used to it, more comfortable.

And, to be fair, I still think the R.A.T. is uglier.

I like the idea of shaking hands with my computer actually.  :)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 20:34:04 »
My but those things are ugly. And here I thought the R.A.T. Cyborg held the crown for worlds most hideous abomination of a mouse. What are the benefits of a vertical mouse besides ergonomics?

I think that the Joy Pen is quite handsome (mine is a knock-off with no labels), but I hate "gaming" mice because they look so aggressive.

"benefits" "besides" "ergonomics"

WFT? are you kidding? do you choose your computer gear based on cosmetics rather than function?

I'd rather not buy two different mice to find one that suits me. 

Did you buy the "perfect" keyboard on the first go?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 20:39:48 »

Nope, and I regret going with a Das Keyboard with browns my first go, but I was at least able to at least recoup most of what I spent on it when I sold it.

Just when money isn't flowing in, I'd rather spend as little as possible.  Once more money comes in, I'd be fine with buying a few different cheap mice, but as things are now, it'd be silly to spend the money to try out a mouse that may or may not be good, especially when it has some things I'm already wary about, namely dragging my fingers on the mouse pad instead of being able to rest most of them on the mouse.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 21:20:11 »

I think that the Joy Pen is quite handsome (mine is a knock-off with no labels), but I hate "gaming" mice because they look so aggressive.

"benefits" "besides" "ergonomics"

WFT? are you kidding? do you choose your computer gear based on cosmetics rather than function?

I'd rather not buy two different mice to find one that suits me. 

DPI settings and adjustments
Sensor type
Is it a remasked OEM or factory original parts?
Does it come with extra buttons?
Are those buttons programmable?
Is the firmware reliable?
Does it come with software or a control panel? Is that software updated regularly?

These are all questions I ask when looking at a new mouse, although looks are certainly a large part as well.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 22:10:46 »
Just when money isn't flowing in, I'd rather spend as little as possible.  Once more money comes in, I'd be fine with buying a few different cheap mice, but as things are now, it'd be silly to spend the money to try out a mouse that may or may not be good, especially when it has some things I'm already wary about, namely dragging my fingers on the mouse pad instead of being able to rest most of them on the mouse.

The trailing fingers are the best part. I hate normal mice now, because I like having a couple of fingers down like outriggers for precise control.

And $10 delivered to my doorstep seems like a bargain.

But don't do it if you think you will feel bad about it later. Clearly, my tastes are out of the mainstream.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 22:16:37 »
DPI settings and adjustments
Sensor type
Is it a remasked OEM or factory original parts?
Does it come with extra buttons?
Are those buttons programmable?
Is the firmware reliable?
Does it come with software or a control panel? Is that software updated regularly?

These are all questions I ask when looking at a new mouse, although looks are certainly a large part as well.

I have never paid attention to or cared about any of those things.

I disconnected the extra buttons on the mouse I modded because I never used them and they worked against me.

A mouse is a strictly utilitarian object to me and comfort and reliability are the only important criteria. I want it as simple and sturdy as possible.

Pretty much the same way I feel about my keyboard, except that I have never pursued the ergonomic route very far.