Author Topic: travel  (Read 1634 times)

Offline bcredbottle

travel
« on: Sun, 06 September 2015, 10:54:18 »
I am going to make an Atreus + tablet build so that I can work while travelling. I was wondering if there is any danger to storing a keyboard in such a way that the  keys are pressed down for a long period of time. I believe I bent a click leaf on a Matias switch this way once, but I don't know if the same danger applies to MX boards. (The Atreus will use Gaterons). Does anyone have experience/insight?

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: travel
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 05:21:14 »
It may weaken the springs just a touch, but it would take a very long time being stored that way, IMHO.

The leaves of MX switches are actually under less tension when the switches are pressed than when they're in "resting" state, unlike Matias / Alps, so they shouldn't be affected at all.

I don't see a problem with it.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline bcredbottle

Re: travel
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 10:03:00 »
It may weaken the springs just a touch, but it would take a very long time being stored that way, IMHO.

The leaves of MX switches are actually under less tension when the switches are pressed than when they're in "resting" state, unlike Matias / Alps, so they shouldn't be affected at all.

I don't see a problem with it.

That makes sense.

I was wondering what the bottom half of the stroke looked like in a Matias click switch. There are animated switch diagrams for MX switches but I haven't seen any for Alps/Matias switches. But now from the non-animated pics I can see that, at the bottom, the slider doesn't fall "under" the leaf like it does in MX switches.