Author Topic: The new non-MS office suites (for Windows) are ready!  (Read 3789 times)

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
The new non-MS office suites (for Windows) are ready!
« on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 14:00:44 »
Currently evaluating both SoftMaker Office 2021 on my MacBook and WordPerfect Office 2020 on my... Windows on said MacBook.  :blank:
Looks like I'll buy both...

(I cannot stand WordStar, so this is as retro as it gets.)
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 May 2020, 00:54:03 by no, the other guy »
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: The new non-MS office suites (for Windows) are ready!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 17:49:57 »
I'm not sure how this fits in, but I have used LibreOffice (previously aka Open Office) for 10-15 years now and I am very pleased with it.

The default file extension .ODT is annoying but I understand why it is necessary. Easy enough to go to "options" and keep it clean with "save as" .DOC
They may have gagged Trump.
They didn’t gag me.
They can’t gag me.
I have no gag reflex.
I am ungaggable.
I have trained my whole life for this.
– Lauren Boebert 2024-05-16

Offline funkmon

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 19:54:26 »
I use Abiword and the online version of Excel and that's it. I'm not cool like you guys with your full office suites.

I did used to use the Ashampoo office suite actually, but iirc it was like 2010 and it was like $30 for the whole thing. I probably still have the files for that, so I guess I still own it. I believe Ashampoo turned their suite into Softmarker.

Is it quite good?

• actually, this guy
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 22 May 2020, 00:43:45 »
I'm not sure how this fits in, but I have used LibreOffice (previously aka Open Office) for 10-15 years now and I am very pleased with it.

I had given various versions of StarOffice and its spin-offs a try over the years. I even bought a box in the 90s. However, the open source community lacks any kind of QA.

The first version of LibreOffice was the last one I tried. It failed to format an OpenOffice document correctly and it was annoyingly slow.
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

• actually, this guy
The new non-MS office suites (for Windows) are ready!
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 22 May 2020, 00:49:44 »
I believe Ashampoo turned their suite into Softmarker.

According to the website, Ashampoo Office seems to be the same thing as SoftMaker Office, except for a few visuals. I would guess that they licensed it from SoftMaker.

And yes, it is rather good: The MS Office compatibility is superb and the performance is just right. I own a license of their 2016 version (which didn’t have a macOS version yet) already, but it shows its age...
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 May 2020, 01:13:09 by no, the other guy »