Author Topic: TG4x, a cheap, open source 40%  (Read 3495 times)

Offline mythosmann

• keyboards aren't even useful
    • My GitHub Page
TG4x, a cheap, open source 40%
« on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 20:54:45 »
Not doing a group buy.
This is an open source 40% keyboard that uses a tg3 as the base.
Imgur Gallery

I made a post about this on Reddit a little while ago, but I've heard that this might be a good place to post as well.  This is a project I've wanted to do for a good while now, but recently I've actually been working on it a lot.  It's an open source, basic 40% keyboard using the TG3 as a base.  My goal for this was to make a programmable keyboard at the lowest price possible.  If you're interested, you can check out more on the project's GitHub.  Any thoughts, comments, etc are very welcome.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 March 2019, 16:27:51 by mythosmann »

Offline mythosmann

• My GitHub Page
Re: TG4x, a cheap, open source 40%
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 23:21:28 »
I got some pcbs, and have a prototype.
https://imgur.com/a/X0fYj2h

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 19:17:44 »
Fun idea. Not sure I really want to keep using those weird uniform R1 keycaps... I guess it's better than dumping em in the trash  :thumb:
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline blawb

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 23 February 2019, 19:16:57 »
Looks great! What did you do to keep the costs low compared to other boards of similar size?
i hate wet socks

Offline mythosmann

• My GitHub Page
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 11:05:15 »
The main thing is using parts from the TG3, like switches, keycaps, and the plates.  Other than that, using pro micros instead of onboard, and finding a cheap PCB fab.
Sorry about the delay, I'm new to geekhack, and I figured I'd get email notifications.

Offline blawb

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 23:26:29 »
Do you happen to have any pictures of the internals for the TG3? I did check your r/mk post and your github page so sorry if I missed some that you already posted.

What's your method for desoldering all your switches? And what are you using to cut the plates to size?
i hate wet socks

Offline mythosmann

• My GitHub Page
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 06 March 2019, 00:02:36 »
Here's a picture of the tg3's pcb.  This one is actually the backlit version, so it has all the leds.
I've been using a desoldering iron like this one.
For the plates, I've been using an angle grinder, dremel, and a file.  I'm trying different ways to make the process cleaner and more consistent.

Offline blawb

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 07 March 2019, 16:22:04 »
I've desoldered some boards with something similar... It was a pain in the ass.

I imagine a saw would be mine orders of magnitude easier/faster, and you'd probably just have to clean up the cuts with sandpaper/file. If you end up doing a bunch, it might be worth it to take it to a machine shop and have them waterjet cut it. Since it's only a single rectangle, it might not be too expensive.
i hate wet socks