Author Topic: Boba U4Ts don't work on outemu pcb  (Read 1575 times)

Offline mauro77

Boba U4Ts don't work on outemu pcb
« on: Tue, 16 January 2024, 16:32:17 »
I recently got into the custom keyboard hobby and started modding a really cheap keyboard, a Redragon Lakshmi 606. I got it on sale for 20$.
I tried putting some Boba U4T's in it but they just don't seem to work when fully placed into the pcb, halfway they seem to work tho.
It's an outemu socket pcb so I had to clip both of the plastic pins. Does anyone know what's going on?

Offline TomahawkLabs

Re: Boba U4Ts don't work on outemu pcb
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 16 January 2024, 16:40:54 »
First question is how many, if any switches work. Second question would then be, did you file down the nub left after trimming the legs of the switches? If not, it may not be making correct contact. Last question would be, are they snapping into the plate ensuring the correct height?
Always looking for Alps SKCM/SKCL switches. Feel free to DM.
AMD 5600x | RTX3080 | 2x 1TB NVME + 4x 4TB HDD | B550M Pro-P | 32GB RAM | RM850x | Node 804 | Schiit Modius/Magnius + Audeze LCD-2 | Dell S3422DWG
GMMK 1 Full Size Barebones | Zealio 67g ; Apple M3501 handwired | Alps SKCM Damped Cream
SA: Camping

Offline mauro77

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 16 January 2024, 16:59:43 »
Majority which I "tested" (putting them halfway and see if there's any input) actually work. I've filed down a couple and tested them, still nothing. Now that you've pointed it out, I have a hard time putting the switches completely in and when I took em off I noticed one of the pins is a tad bit bent, almost unnoticeable. Maybe they don't fit? Although when I compared them to the KTT Kang Whites they were the same size, and the KTT fit really well.

Offline Exquite

• GeekAnubis
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 19 January 2024, 22:04:08 »
The boba stem is more rigid and stiffer. The diameter is larger than KTT or some cheap switches. The outemu pcb are not designed for it. Maybe it does not work because the leg is too big to reach the contact points or maybe the via connection is broken. I have tried to fit in a $10 keyboard and seems like only akko switches or budget ones can fit in.
I'm a Color lover and a designer.

Offline mauro77

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 26 January 2024, 07:56:21 »
Yeah that makes more sense, I already bought a GMK to make up for it, thanks for replying!!