Author Topic: Dvorak Keyboard - FAQ  (Read 1811 times)

Offline Popkeymon

Dvorak Keyboard - FAQ
« on: Wed, 20 April 2011, 19:12:18 »
If you are considering changing to an alternative layout such as Dvorak and would like to read the user experience before deciding on changing the layout as a system default. Please keep on reading.

(1) Should I buy a Dvorak layout keyboard, rearranging keycaps or Sticker?

I started out the Dvorak journey by looking for a hardwired keyboard from local PC retail store. I have googled every pages that are related to Dvorak KB and found that there is no cheapy Dvorak KB available but to order from some online supplier such as Typematrix, DasKeyboard or Kineses. The keyborad is priced absurdly high and I decided to buy a keyboard that is totally blank. So that I have no letters on the keycap and everything are defined by the software rather than looking at the hard keycap.

You should not rearrange keycap, stick labels or buy a very expansive keyboard, If Dvorak is all about learning true touchtyping, what is printed on keycap is actually not affecting your learning on the new layout.

(2) Should I set the Dvorak layout as my system default?

Yes, you should do it if you want to learn the new layout for lifelong. You should set your office and home computer default setting to Dvorak immediately so that your brain has to adjust immediately to the new layout by rewiring the old habit.

You have to accustom the new copy and paste position by two hands which did not make much difficulty with day to day adaptation. You have to live with the new layout in order to acquire it.

(3) Will I loss my ability to touchtype Qwerty?

If you live solely with Dvorak on your office and home pc, you will soon discover that you could no longer touchtype Qwerty as you might use to be. But that is good!

If people are doing things wrongly for hundreds of years, there is no point to keep on sticking to the wrong way to do things, right? No worry, if you have to type things on other's computer, you could still hunt and peck on qwerty and if you need to use other people's pc for a prolonged period, just use 30 seconds to activate the Dvorak layout built into the operating system.

(4) Will I become super fast typist by switching?

Nope. Don't expect to become a typing champion by simply switching layout.

(5) How long would I become natural to type with Dvorak?

If you are determined to abandon your qwerty skill. If you set all your working PC with Dvorak as default. If you type email, password, forum, and everything in Dvorak, you will feel natural with 3 months continuous daily use.

(6) What I can do to help?

Share your experience with your family and friends. Tell them why you like the new keyboard layout. Ask them to have a trial and switch to the new layout.

I am sure you are capable to do that.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 April 2011, 19:15:39 by Popkeymon »