Author Topic: XT/AT/PS2/Terminal to USB Converter with NKRO  (Read 892282 times)

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
XT/AT/PS2/Terminal to USB Converter with NKRO
« Reply #150 on: Mon, 29 August 2011, 23:14:37 »
box an xampp install with the package.

I've pondered doing that with an in-house web-based package-- make it a local site
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline timofonic

« Reply #151 on: Wed, 07 September 2011, 03:18:55 »
About macros and remappings... What about showing it as a Mass Storage Device with the files on it? It would save the use of extra software.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 September 2011, 03:26:49 by timofonic »

Offline Shawn Stanford

« Reply #152 on: Wed, 07 September 2011, 06:57:46 »
Well, I went ahead and ordered a Teensy 2.0, a breadboard and a set of LEDs. I've never done anything like this before, so...
The Brat Prince of COBOL

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #153 on: Wed, 07 September 2011, 10:17:54 »
Shawn, it's a great project to start with. Pretty straightforward, and great payoff (all those old terminal and xt boards are now usable!)

It's an awesome project, and i'm excited about the next phase as its being discussed here.
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #154 on: Wed, 07 September 2011, 10:37:06 »
Quote from: ripster;412020
Go Shawn!

I've been waiting for a "Dummy's Guide" including all the physical parts and lots of pics.  Plus I still have some microcontroller USB burner lying around in case anyone ever starts selling PCBs.

So, in other words, you're calling Shawn a dummy.  Way to support our troops.

Offline one_each

« Reply #155 on: Wed, 07 September 2011, 11:19:54 »
IF THE-KEY-PRESSED-HAS-A-KEYCAP-WITH-A-ON-IT THEN
  SEND-THE-CODE-FOR THE-LETTER-A.
END IF

Its been a long time since I worked in COBOL.  Java/HTML/CSS/JavaScript for my day job, C/C++ and assembly when at home.

Soarer, this is a very cool project so keep up the good work.
**something random**

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #156 on: Wed, 07 September 2011, 12:40:04 »
I'm lame.  VB.NET for the win.  I'm a DB guy, not a programmer.

Offline Soarer

« Reply #157 on: Wed, 07 September 2011, 21:04:19 »
Quote from: Hak Foo;407197
box an xampp install with the package.

I've pondered doing that with an in-house web-based package-- make it a local site
Seems a bit heavyweight for this! I think if JavaScript can't do it, a Python or Java app would be the next choice. (Might be a better choice anyway, for other reasons).

Quote from: timofonic;411919
About macros and remappings... What about showing it as a Mass Storage Device with the files on it? It would save the use of extra software.
The storage is so small that there isn't enough room for the allocation tables and directory entries etc that you need for a file system!

Quote from: Shawn Stanford;411952
Well, I went ahead and ordered a Teensy 2.0, a breadboard and a set of LEDs. I've never done anything like this before, so...
And you have a socket, I hope! Just start with wiring the socket to the teensy, then see if it works, then fix or add more bits. We're here if you get stuck :-)

Quote from: one_each;412052
Soarer, this is a very cool project so keep up the good work.

Quote from: Oqsy;412017
It's an awesome project, and i'm excited about the next phase as its being discussed here.

Thanks guys! I hope the next stage won't disappoint!
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 September 2011, 21:06:34 by Soarer »

Offline kps

« Reply #158 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 10:55:58 »
Quote from: one_each;412052
IF THE-KEY-PRESSED-HAS-A-KEYCAP-WITH-A-ON-IT THEN
  SEND-THE-CODE-FOR THE-LETTER-A.
END IF

No, no, no.

During the day, whenever someone presses a key, you simply append the matrix position to a tape. Then at night, after all the typing is done, you take that input tape, plus another tape containing tables of matrix codes and USB key codes, and run the program to generate an output tape. Then you take that tape from the keyboard's output tape drive over to one of the computer's tape drives and read it in.

Offline timofonic

« Reply #159 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 22:09:24 »
Quote from: Soarer;412363
The storage is so small that there isn't enough room for the allocation tables and directory entries etc that you need for a file system!

OK, sorry. I did think the structure would be able to be generated in-time. There would be just one or two text files, then regenerate the needed firmware part. Maybe this is just a pipe dream, I'm still too bad at computer programming and too much unrealistic imagination...

What about adding a bluetooth module for the future? I know it's not feasible and out of the scope of this project, but it could be nice to have the Ultimate Keyboard Adapter (TM) :D

Offline Soarer

« Reply #160 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 04:35:30 »
Quote from: timofonic;413121
OK, sorry. I did think the structure would be able to be generated in-time. There would be just one or two text files, then regenerate the needed firmware part. Maybe this is just a pipe dream, I'm still too bad at computer programming and too much unrealistic imagination...

Of the four layers I was thinking of, the driver is actually the easiest part. The device part isn't horribly complex either, and mainly just allows a single file to be written to (and read from) the Teensy's EEPROM.

Quote from: timofonic;413121
What about adding a bluetooth module for the future? I know it's not feasible and out of the scope of this project, but it could be nice to have the Ultimate Keyboard Adapter (TM) :D

Gonna need a good battery!!

Offline timofonic

« Reply #161 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 11:37:54 »
Quote from: Soarer;413226
Of the four layers I was thinking of, the driver is actually the easiest part. The device part isn't horribly complex either, and mainly just allows a single file to be written to (and read from) the Teensy's EEPROM.

Gonna need a good battery!!

Like this board? They use a common Broadcom bluetooth controller.

Offline Soarer

« Reply #162 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 12:06:47 »
The battery comment wasn't a joke!

Those things work great as controllers for contact switch keyboards - they can go to sleep between keypresses and save a lot of power. That trick doesn't work for capacitive switches at all. And for my converter, it's not feasible to cut power to the keyboard and put the Teensy into a low power state - it would at the least require extra circuitry. Even if it could, what would wake it up! So there's a constant power drain to the Teensy and keyboard, which is many times what the bluetooth module uses even when it's awake.

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #163 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 14:43:15 »
Lawn mower batt work? :P

Offline Soarer

« Reply #164 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 16:53:18 »
Bettah!

You could fit one a terminal keyboard's case, no problem. Look a bit daft controlling your HTPC with it though.

Offline Soarer

« Reply #165 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 22:26:32 »
Quote from: Soarer;373666
It's just the size that counts!

I'll check next time I reboot what I set in my BIOS, I might've changed it from S3 to S2, but I forget! Before I changed it, the port was being powered down by the PC, so wake-up didn't work at all.

I'm all XP at the moment. Sometime soon I'll be setting up a Windows 7 PC, it will probably be 32-bit, but that shouldn't make much difference to this problem. I'll look at it then.

I had changed the ACPI setting in my BIOS to S1. IIRC, in S3 the wakeup simply didn't wake it up. Might be worth a try - it's safe, and easy to reverse.

Finally installed Windows 7 SP1 64 bit, so I'll try and reproduce that problem tomorrow.

Offline timofonic

« Reply #166 on: Sat, 10 September 2011, 06:31:35 »
Quote from: Soarer;413351
The battery comment wasn't a joke!

Those things work great as controllers for contact switch keyboards - they can go to sleep between keypresses and save a lot of power. That trick doesn't work for capacitive switches at all. And for my converter, it's not feasible to cut power to the keyboard and put the Teensy into a low power state - it would at the least require extra circuitry. Even if it could, what would wake it up! So there's a constant power drain to the Teensy and keyboard, which is many times what the bluetooth module uses even when it's awake.

Well, the oriiginal battery fromm. The bluetooth keyboard was 1xx mah and lastedd a week, so the 850mah one could last at least a month.

Just imagine the possibilities, it could be the ultimate geekhack tool.

Enviado desde mi STM7UW usando Tapatalk

Offline Soarer

« Reply #167 on: Sat, 10 September 2011, 09:51:22 »
Quote from: Soarer;413737
Finally installed Windows 7 SP1 64 bit, so I'll try and reproduce that problem tomorrow.

Unable to reproduce :-/

BIOS Power Settings at defaults (S3).
Fresh Window 7 install.
Went into Sleep OK.
Woke up from Sleep by Model M plugged into my converter...
...which still worked fine afterwards.

Not sure what else I can try.

Is anyone else having problems using Win7 Sleep and waking it up with my converter? Or finding it works OK?
Feedback either way please :-)

Offline Hak Foo

« Reply #168 on: Sat, 10 September 2011, 10:35:11 »
It seems to be alonbg the lines of

suspend
wake via converted board
power down
converted board may be dead

Offline Soarer

« Reply #169 on: Sat, 10 September 2011, 10:39:03 »
power down?

Offline Hak Foo

« Reply #170 on: Sun, 11 September 2011, 13:43:11 »
start-> shut down?

Offline Soarer

« Reply #171 on: Sun, 11 September 2011, 14:22:28 »
Quote from: Hak Foo;414495
start-> shut down?

I dunno, you said it! :-p

I'm confused as to how power down is part of a problem with suspend and wake-up!

This was the original problem description I was responding to...

Quote from: REVENGE;372784
Yep, I had my BlackWidow and the Model F both connected. First off, the Teensy stays on even while the computer is suspended, the lock LEDs stay lit. Secondly, if I resume using the Model F, it will not function once the computer boots up. At this point, without resetting the Teensy, if I put the computer back to sleep and use another USB device to wake it up, the Model F will function normally again. Finally, I can always unplug and replug the Teensy to get the keyboard working again.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #172 on: Tue, 27 September 2011, 16:38:23 »
OK guys, I am totally stoked.

I received an IBM Model F 122-key terminal keyboard from ebay today, and it is INCREDIBLE !

To call it an awesome behemoth is an understatement, this thing is the Mother Ship.

It was filthy, inside and out, so I completely dismantled it and cleaned everything. Even that was easy, I have dismantled both XT and AT Model Fs (no fun at all with the spacebar thing .... ) and this was smooth and simple in comparison. Bigger is certainly better, and if Ripster's theory about weight=good then this has got to be the best keyboard ever made.

So now it is immaculate, but I have to wait until my Teensy gets here (and I got the plain base model, it did not look like there was any advantage to the ++ model), and I want to go all-internal.

I will surely need to ask you gurus some questions, but it looks like my quest for the ultimate keyboard may be nearing its conclusion.

Thank you all so much for guiding me along.

Later, Harry

PS - I will scavenge keycaps from multiple keyboards to suit my final mapping scenario, but do any of you guys have an "Enter" key, which I presume is UK/Euro style, for sale or trade? thanks
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 September 2011, 18:13:01 by fohat.digs »
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline theferenc

« Reply #173 on: Wed, 28 September 2011, 20:59:46 »
Harry, did you snag yours from OceanTechPrecision on ebay? Does it have dip switches on the bottom? Also, it comes with the Euro style tall enter key. Do you want the wide ANSI style one, instead?

I have 2 (from 2 different sellers) that have no switches, and for whatever reason, this adapter behaves...strangely. I disassembled, swapped some keys around to make it ANSI/UNIX, and reassembled one of them. When I connected this adapted (using a teensy++), I just get endless repeats of a key until I press another key, which then endlessly repeats, etc.

I thought maybe I screwed up, so I connected my other 122 key F, that hadn't even been cleaned yet, and it behaved exactly the same way.

What's weird, is that neither of these have the dip switches. One of which from 4 Aug 1984, the other some April 85, I think (it's not here at the moment). Inside, on the controller, are exposed pins next to where the cable plugs in, and on the PCB itself it says KBD ID A over one set, and KBD ID B over the others. Do I need to jumper these somehow, to replicate having the dip switches all up or all down?

Anyway else getting weirdness at all?
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #174 on: Wed, 28 September 2011, 21:23:48 »
It can misbehave quite severely if you attempt to press any keys BEFORE the auto-detect-what-type-of-keyboard-is-connected process has finished...that can take upwards of 5 seconds in an extreme case. Plug in, ensure OS recognizes the device (makes its little noise if applicable), count to 5 slowly, then try.

Took some getting used to since I normally just hammer on caps lock when I plug in a keyboard so I can see when the system has begun recognizing it, but if you press any keys before the auto-detect process Soarer's code does is complete, it screws it up and will either play dead or simply misbehave. I haven't seen that exact symptom myself, theferenc, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's related.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline Soarer

« Reply #175 on: Wed, 28 September 2011, 21:32:37 »
Sounds like the adapter is somehow thinking it's a scan code set 2 board, so not trying (or not being able) to tell it to send release codes.

One way it decides is by the keyboard ID, so perhaps changing that will make it work. Those pins will do that the same as the DIP switches on other models. Are there any jumpers on them at the moment?

To be sure what going on, can you run the hid_listen program to capture the auto-detect sequence?

For a normal 101 key board, it should read wEE rEE wF2 rFA rAB r83. For a terminal board, there should be a few more bytes and a different ID (the rAB r83 part).

edit: And yes, don't be as impatient as kishy, bashing keys just after it's plugged in!!
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 September 2011, 21:38:14 by Soarer »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #176 on: Wed, 28 September 2011, 21:59:08 »
Thanks, but I am not there yet. It will be sometime next week before my Teensy gets here, so all I can do is look at the inert mechanism wistfully.

These comments may well save me some time and heartache when I put it together, so I am very interested.

Yes, I did get the board from Ocean Tech, and it was made June 13, 1985. There are no DIP switches, I am pretty sure, although I will look again very closely.

The key that should be the "Enter" key says "Field Exit" and the actual "Enter" is at the bottom right where Control is normally found. I am hoping to change this to a layout that is something as close to a standard Model M as possible, with an extra set of function keys on the left, old style.

I really hope this will work.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 September 2011, 07:18:21 by fohat.digs »
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline theferenc

« Reply #177 on: Wed, 28 September 2011, 22:08:05 »
Thanks, kishy. I'll give that a try and see if it fixes the issue. I would really love to make these beasts function, as they are just so nice. And I could finally decide if I prefer the M or the F.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

Offline Hak Foo

« Reply #178 on: Wed, 28 September 2011, 22:12:21 »
The Enter labelling is just for decoration- the converter ighnores it.  I have a 122M with a Field Exit enter key.  And the numpad Enter is Field +.

Offline theferenc

« Reply #179 on: Thu, 29 September 2011, 09:01:03 »
Running hid_listen, I get the following:

rAA rBF rBF
wEE R101wF2 rEE wED R100!!00wED rFE !!FEwED R100!!00rFE

I waited for that to appear, then typed all of the above, and then I tried the keyboard. I got

asdfllll;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

The funny thing is, according to hid_listen, it looks as if it should be doing better than it is. For each key I press, I get the down code of that key. But no up code, for whatever reason.

Offline Soarer

« Reply #180 on: Thu, 29 September 2011, 09:58:19 »
It looks like it's just unusually slow to reply to commands - like world record holder slow! Otherwise, it seems to be reading and writing bytes just fine, and its ID is BFBF, which is typical and won't cause any confusion. PM on its way.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 September 2011, 10:24:59 by Soarer »

Offline theferenc

« Reply #181 on: Thu, 29 September 2011, 12:51:41 »
Soarer is the man! Hopefully it continues to work as well as it does right now -- though I may have some spring/hammer issues to work out.

Thanks a ton!

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #182 on: Thu, 29 September 2011, 18:28:24 »
Great news!

Offline theferenc

« Reply #183 on: Thu, 29 September 2011, 19:17:53 »
So one last question about this. The key on the keypad, directly above 9. What is its default mapping in the converter? Does anyone know?

When I try to get its keycode in X, xev just pukes out

Code: [Select]
FocusOut event, serial 8008, synthetic NO, window 0x3800001,
    mode NotifyGrab, detail NotifyAncestor                  

FocusIn event, serial 8008, synthetic NO, window 0x3800001,
    mode NotifyUngrab, detail NotifyAncestor              

KeymapNotify event, serial 8008, synthetic NO, window 0x0,
    keys:  0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0  
           0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0

showkey gives me keycode 70. But terminal keycodes don't map to X keycodes, unfortunately, so I can't make use of that. At least I know the kernel recognizes it just fine.

Any help is appreciated!

On a happier note, the kernel recognizes every single one of the 122 key on this beast. That's after I converted it to my beloved UNIX layout, meaning I'm using pads that aren't used in the default layout, and not using pads that are. So kudos for that!

Offline Soarer

« Reply #184 on: Thu, 29 September 2011, 19:43:01 »
It's scroll lock... what does that do in X?

Offline N8N

« Reply #185 on: Thu, 29 September 2011, 21:08:19 »
nothing at all, really... but I just tried it on my machine and scroll lock comes up as keycode 78 (Model M through Belkin converter, just fired up xev and hit the scroll lock key, if that makes any difference)

KeyPress event, serial 33, synthetic NO, window 0x5200001,
    root 0xa1, subw 0x0, time 4878851, (319,159), root:(337,290),
    state 0x10, keycode 78 (keysym 0xff14, Scroll_Lock), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyRelease event, serial 33, synthetic NO, window 0x5200001,
    root 0xa1, subw 0x0, time 4879011, (319,159), root:(337,290),
    state 0x10, keycode 78 (keysym 0xff14, Scroll_Lock), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline theferenc

« Reply #186 on: Thu, 29 September 2011, 21:25:30 »
Yeah, I thought it should be scroll lock, but it doesn't match scroll lock on my other keyboard, at all. At least, it doesn't generate the same xev codes.

I'll try remapping it anyway, to be something more appropriate for me (*, in this case). I can find it in my xmodmap and just go ahead and change it. I have every other key in there already mapped appropriately.

Thanks!

Offline Soarer

« Reply #187 on: Fri, 30 September 2011, 18:41:42 »
Just posted a new version (v0.996) with fixes for some reported problems, and a couple of alternative remappings for terminal keyboards.

The alternative mappings are enabled by setting the keyboard ID to one of the following:

9FBF
key in centre of cursors -> cursor down
right alt -> left gui
europe 2 -> left gui
F13 -> play / pause
F14 -> prev track
F15 -> next track
F16 -> volume up
F17 -> volume down

AFBF
LF1 -> Escape
LF2 -> Pause
LF3 -> NumLock
LF4 -> ScrollLock
Keys around numpad, clockwise from top-left -> NumLock, Slash, Asterix, Minus, Plus, Equals

(LFx are the function keys on the left hand side).

I've also been tidying up the main article over the past couple of days, it was overdue :-)
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 September 2011, 18:44:11 by Soarer »

Offline theferenc

« Reply #188 on: Fri, 30 September 2011, 19:54:35 »
That second one is almost exactly how I have mine laid out at the moment. Too bad I don't have dip switches to set the ID with.

But that's what xmodmap is for, right?

And by the way, I was able to fix that mapping. I still couldn't get it to be recognized as scroll lock, but I remapped what SHOULD have been scroll lock, and now it's working fine. I have no idea. Probably something weird with how our particular RHEL setup is configured.

Offline Soarer

« Reply #189 on: Fri, 30 September 2011, 20:09:11 »
Ah, but instead you have the jumper block inside! I've chosen the IDs so they only require one jumper to be fitted. But if it's not exactly what you want, it's better to use the default map anyway because it has unique codes for each key :-)

Glad you could sort out the scroll lock somehow - that was odd!

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #190 on: Fri, 30 September 2011, 23:36:28 »
Just a thought... not really necessary but it'd be cool to add support for the SD reader. Then, instead of plugging in my flash drive, I could buy myself an SD card to use for my flash drive. Would that be possible? Also, I think there's a way to make AHK run portably, then we (with odd layouts/122s<---me) could add custom keymaps directly to the SD card as a AHK script. Just for convenience sake:)
Thanks for any input Soarer
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 September 2011, 23:39:31 by SmallFry »

Offline theferenc

« Reply #191 on: Sat, 01 October 2011, 00:01:00 »
AHK runs portably, for certain sure. It's just a download directly from their website.

I gotta tell you though, these beasts are NOT portable. I leave mine connected to the same linux workstation all day, every day. It's just too damn big and heavy to move around much. In that regard, I would say just run it on the machine you're connected to, rather than the SD card in your keyboard.

Though, just from a novelty perspective, that would really amuse me.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #192 on: Sat, 01 October 2011, 00:11:23 »
My school would have a hacker alert stroke if I wired in like at home. Therefore, I would need to move my board with me as well as keep my "hacker" stuff hidden. Heh.

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #193 on: Sat, 01 October 2011, 01:12:57 »
The perfboard and alligator clip rig I'm using for this would surely get a bomb squad called on me if I tried to use it at a uni or library.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #194 on: Mon, 03 October 2011, 21:49:06 »
Here's what I've been working on for the last little while...

Complete with externally-accessible reset button and lock LEDs, built-to-order for a fellow Geekhacker.

At this time I am not taking further orders for my assembly service, but it's something I'm considering since I did get Soarer's blessing for it.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 27864[/ATTACH]
kishy.ca

Offline timofonic

« Reply #195 on: Tue, 04 October 2011, 03:28:40 »
Quote from: kishy;425809
Here's what I've been working on for the last little while...

Complete with externally-accessible reset button and lock LEDs, built-to-order for a fellow Geekhacker.

At this time I am not taking further orders for my assembly service, but it's something I'm considering since I did get Soarer's blessing for it.

(Attachment Link) 27864[/ATTACH]

Hello.

Very nice! I would consider ordering one too...

What about adding a SD card interface? Would be possible to use it both for configuration files (mapping, macros, etc) and an optional LCD for showing the current keymap (plus two buttons for switching)?

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #196 on: Tue, 04 October 2011, 06:44:09 »
Quote from: timofonic;425879
Hello.

Very nice! I would consider ordering one too...

What about adding a SD card interface? Would be possible to use it both for configuration files (mapping, macros, etc) and an optional LCD for showing the current keymap (plus two buttons for switching)?

What I did is essentially just 'packaging' the adapter...I did not make any design changes, so to speak. I would not know how to implement that, but I suspect it can be done with some amount of work...would be best to wait for Soarer to weigh in on that to see if it might ever happen. I do agree it would be nice, but I believe he's working on other ways to simplify end-user keymapping as it is.
kishy.ca

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #197 on: Tue, 04 October 2011, 08:19:56 »
7 pins for the LCD... 2 pins for up/down buttons... 5 pins for the SD card slot... 2 pins for the keyboard...

At first look there are no collisions between the pins necessary.  It would be minimum features on the LCD tho, no contrast changing, but functional.  It's then a question of whether the teensy has enough space for programming all the devices.  I also know nothing of multiple end-point USB in order to support the SD and KB interface at the same time.  You could do a boot-loader deal where you hold down one/both of the LCD control buttons on startup and it makes SD the end-point for USB...
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline one_each

« Reply #198 on: Tue, 04 October 2011, 11:08:05 »
@Soarer  Have you considered using something like code.google.com to host the code as it is in development?  You can limit it to just you making commits but others could help out and send you patches for fixes.  You can even track things you want to change and others may step up to do the actual work.
**something random**

Offline timofonic

« Reply #199 on: Tue, 04 October 2011, 12:34:39 »
@Soarer

In terms of available pinout, memory and such...

How's the Teensy2 or Tenensy2++ used? I mean if you and others can add features to your project in the future, the possibilities of free resources from it.