Author Topic: Filco Linear R Tenkeyless or Realforce 87UB - which would you get?  (Read 3059 times)

Offline Avazee

I'm thinking of purchasing another keyboard, and have narrowed it down between an MX Red switch (never used one before) and a Topre Realforce 87 keyboard.  I definitely want to get a Tenkeyless board since I have all non-Tenkeyless right now.

I already own a Topre Realforce 103UB (variable weight) and love it.  I wanted to try the 87UB (when it comes out in the US) that is 45g.

However, I have heard such good things about the MX Red switch that I am seriously thinking about getting the Linear R instead.

If you had to get one, which would you recommend getting?

Offline calavera

Filco Linear R Tenkeyless or Realforce 87UB - which would you get?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 July 2011, 21:43:31 »
realforce.

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 July 2011, 21:58:07 »
I have a linear R Tenkeyless coming in this week and hopefully I can provide feedback on thsi question.

I got my 86UB and love it, its my favorite Keyboard right now, have browns and blues to compare. it too.. I got the red since I wanted to try a linear switch but didnt like the actuation needed on the blacks when i tried them out... Hopefully reds are the better blacks for me at least.

Since you have a 103UB i would skip the 87UB if you plan on getting the 45g uniform weighted version since I would think it would be too much similar to your 103UB...The 87U 55g uniform weight is the one I would like to try and if you were asking about to cchoose that it would be harder choice for me.

I say reds since it would be something different from your 103UB .. i like mixting up the switches once in awhile.
REALFORCE|FILCO|HHKB|KBC POKER X|LEOPOLD|CM STORM|SIIG (GHSS)|IBM SSK

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 26 July 2011, 21:59:23 »
I have both and I still prefer 87UB to Filco reds...   but that's just me though. =P
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 26 July 2011, 22:05:42 »
They're both hard to find but I have to go with 87U.
Keyboardless

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 26 July 2011, 22:22:47 »
Quote from: reaper;387864
I have both and I still prefer 87UB to Filco reds...   but that's just me though. =P

Quote from: mmmty;387871
They're both hard to find but I have to go with 87U.

If you guys need someone to take those 87U's off your hands...... :cool:

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 26 July 2011, 22:23:07 »
linear tenkeyless for super customization. Can only put different color keys on a topre. Get some
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 26 July 2011, 22:28:08 »
Quote from: jpm804;387880
If you guys need someone to take those 87U's off your hands...... :cool:

You'd have to pry it off from my cold, dead hands. =D
Din Eli

Offline nhwhaup

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 04:05:27 »
I don't have the 87UB but do have the 86U and also the Filco tenkeyless with reds. For me, for overall typing with a light touch, I pick the reds over the topres hands down.  I have two Filcos with the red switches - one full size and the other TKL. Both have the black bodied cases with gray on white PBT keycaps and soft landing pads. They are my absolute favorites. I'll use the RealForce once in a while and do like it but if you told me I could have only one board it would definitely be the Filco TKL with reds.
Current in order of preference:  RealForce 87U Silent White with variable weighted keys X 2, Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless with Linear Reds, Filco Number-pad, Poker with Linear Reds

Sold or returned:  Multiple Microsoft and Logitech keyboards, Das Keyboard Silent, Cherry 6140, RealForce 103UB, RealForce 86U, Filco Majestouch 2 full sized with Linear Reds

Offline RiGS

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 06:41:03 »
Quote from: reaper;387886
You'd have to pry it off from my cold, dead hands. =D

IIRC you have the 55g model now. Do you prefer it over the variable?
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 09:36:12 »
Yes, for me it's more satisfying to type on than with the variable.
Din Eli

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 10:44:20 »
Quote from: nhwhaup;387998
I don't have the 87UB but do have the 86U and also the Filco tenkeyless with reds. For me, for overall typing with a light touch, I pick the reds over the topres hands down.  I have two Filcos with the red switches - one full size and the other TKL. Both have the black bodied cases with gray on white PBT keycaps and soft landing pads. They are my absolute favorites. I'll use the RealForce once in a while and do like it but if you told me I could have only one board it would definitely be the Filco TKL with reds.

This pretty solidly sums up me as well. I also have the white PBT keycaps on my Linear R and it's pretty much perfect. I use the Linear R all day at work and switch to my Realforce at night for gaming. If it were just one board that I'd have to recommend it'd be the Linear, especially since you already own a Realforce.
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 11:18:32 »
chea
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 11:19:42 »
That's weird cuz I recall KL saying they were going to scale back.

Oh wait, they did.

Offline Avazee

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 21:29:57 »
What kind of keycaps does the Filco use?

Offline sordna

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 21:39:00 »
Since you already have topre's, I'd get the reds. They are delightful, plus you'll be saving enough cash for a Poker or something else!
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Avazee

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 22:01:59 »
Quote from: ripster;388499
See the Key Ref Wiki sticky above.  ABS, just like the Topre spacebar.

Whoops, I meant the lettering.  Aren't the Topre's letters Dye Sub?

Offline Trueepower

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 22:21:16 »
If you aren't going to get a 55g then its easy to just recommend the Linear R. I love both for typing, but I like Topre for gaming over the reds. But, since you have the variable you should just pass up the 45 gram.
Topre Realforce 87ub 55g Topre Realforce 87ub 45g
Luxeed MK5

Offline bojinglebells

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 28 July 2011, 21:26:49 »
Quote from: sordna;388503
Since you already have topre's, I'd get the reds. They are delightful, plus you'll be saving enough cash for a Poker or something else!

Maybe if he ordered them when they first came out, but as of right now I was under the impression that Filco's with red switches were rare enough to demand a premium price hike that would put it in league with a topre...maybe I'm out of the loop?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Filco M2 TKL R - SteelSeries 6Gv2 - Cherry G80-3494 - Razer BlackWidow[/SIZE][/FONT]

Offline Aznguyen316

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 28 July 2011, 23:20:41 »
Quote from: bojinglebells;389108
Maybe if he ordered them when they first came out, but as of right now I was under the impression that Filco's with red switches were rare enough to demand a premium price hike that would put it in league with a topre...maybe I'm out of the loop?

You're about right, I've seen some filco reds in the past month I've been here go from $180-$225 shipped or so. Real force from 180-$250. So really close. Thing is amazon had them new a couple months back at $160 I believe, but reselling has bumped some up over $200 like you said. I still think reds would be cheaper and u can prob get one for $50 less at least. But this is just from one month of gauging the classifieds.

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 29 July 2011, 00:33:06 »
Quote from: bojinglebells;389108

Quote from: Aznguyen316;389169
You're about right, I've seen some filco reds in the past month I've been here go from $180-$225 shipped or so. Real force from 180-$250. So really close. Thing is amazon had them new a couple months back at $160 I believe, but reselling has bumped some up over $200 like you said. I still think reds would be cheaper and u can prob get one for $50 less at least. But this is just from one month of gauging the classifieds.

I think the OP was asking a RF 87U vs. a Filco Tenkeyless Red comparison.... So if  you are looking at the RF 87U then its $350 - $400 if you can even find one versus the filco which you are right is around $180-$225 used, new it it is even more. Realforces in the classfieds lately have been $180 - $250 for the 86U...

So there is a big price difference and I think that is why the comment was made the OP could buy the filco and get something else for the price of one RF.

Offline Aznguyen316

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 29 July 2011, 05:18:31 »
Jpm, you're right I was just thinking of the realforce 86ub's I've seen pop up. My bad.