Author Topic: I want to find the perfect switch!!  (Read 1714 times)

Offline Bry

I want to find the perfect switch!!
« on: Fri, 29 July 2011, 01:57:27 »
Okay, without saying "try them", I am interested in what those who have used these switches have to say about them.

1. Blues

2. Browns

3. White Alps (or whatever is on the Filco Zero if they are at all similar)

I use MX brown, and out of these 3 switches it is the only one I've tried. I have used a few other mechanical boards including linear switches and some fake cherries, but was not impressed.

I like the browns more than a standard dome, but the tactility is nothing like what I imagined when I made the purchase. I was expecting a more noticeable, sharper bump. When I am typing fast, it is almost unnoticeable in the browns. Also, I find that I can feel a lot of inconsistency and friction in them.
How would you compare this to blues and alps? I like the lightness of the browns, and I do enjoy a tactile switch, but they just seem unrefined. Any suggestions?

And then there is always the possibility that my preconceptions about mechanical keyboards was inaccuracte. Do you think this to be the case? Do all switches have this type of inconsistent friction?
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 July 2011, 02:02:36 by Bry »

last.fm | deviantART | SC2
Filco MJ2 Ninja - MX Red | Filco MJ2 Ninja - MX Brown | U9BLS - MX Brown

Offline Tony

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 29 July 2011, 02:13:02 »
We geekhacker have to buy 10 or more keyboards of every switch to realize there is no such perfect switches. But then it is too late.

If you want to walk the road again, so buy all keyboards with these switches. To each person the typing and gaming experience is vastly different.
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 July 2011, 02:15:04 by Tony »
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline MKB

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 29 July 2011, 02:15:11 »
The Filco does have the White Fukkas.  For me buckling spring has the best feel but Unicomp is somewhat unrefined.  Filco is much nicer and I like the Filco level of quality and also the tenkey less style.  I get to try the blues and browns  next week hopefully.  For now my favorite keyboard is the Filco zero.  I will update next week if my plans work out.  :-)

Leopold Tenkeyless (Cherry Clears)
Leopold Tenkeyless (Cherry Reds)
Filco Tenkeyless Zero (White Fukkas)
Unicomp SpaceSaver 104 (Buckling Spring)

Past:

IBM Model F (Buckling Spring)
IBM Model M (Buckling Spring)
Northgate (White Alps)
Fujitsu (peerless)
HHKB Pro 2 (Topre)
Deck Legend (Cherry Blacks)
Deck 82 (Cherry Blacks)
Unicomp Customizer 104 (Buckling Spring)

Offline Reason

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 29 July 2011, 02:18:27 »
i've gone through 7 keyboards (cherry blue - brown - clear - buckling spring - black - red - black alps) in 2 months
and I've gone back to a rubberdome keyboard
I highly recommend qsenn-dt35 over any other mechanical keyboards

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 29 July 2011, 03:11:32 »
I like the browns more than a standard dome, but the tactility is nothing like what I imagined when I made the purchase. I was expecting a more noticeable, sharper bump.

Browns are insipid

Try ergo clears, blue, and some alps.

BTW the best keyboard I've tried so far are the ones from thinkpad X100e/X120e/Edge 11 or the good old Olivetti ones.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 29 July 2011, 04:29:26 »
There is no such thing as the perfect switch for everyone --- because it is highly subjective.
I have yet to find my perfect switch. It would have properties of several others.

I think the same about the Cherry Browns: like linear + a little bit of friction when you type fast. I find they feel almost perfect for cursor keys though.

I like the feel of Cherry Blues for typing, because they are light, smooth and sharply tactile. I don't like the clicky sound. I also have mine dampened with dental rubber bands so that I don't bottom out hard.

I don't like ALPS very much. I especially don't like that the initial resistance is too weak (10g weaker than Cherry) and the tactile point is half a mm too high up. ALPS also has too much friction. The ALPS keyboard I have has switches with parts from three different keyboards to be more as I like: clicky, tactile and dampened.
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 July 2011, 04:55:04 by Findecanor »

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 29 July 2011, 04:39:26 »
The ALPS keyboard I have has switches with parts from three different keyboards to be more as I like: clicky, tactile and dampened.

Just tried to cut the upper "ears" from a dampened leaf to made the switch clicky, very nice, I presume not as loud as a real clicky alps but I consider this an advantage more than a disadvantage...
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline Magna224

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 29 July 2011, 19:12:26 »
The Cherry switches didn't really do it for me. Clears/Blacks were ok but until I tried ALPS I was never really amazed with typing on anything. Buckling springs are pretty nice too but I still prefer clicky ALPS.
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 29 July 2011, 19:32:55 »
Quote from: Magna224;389642
The Cherry switches didn't really do it for me. Clears/Blacks were ok but until I tried ALPS I was never really amazed with typing on anything. Buckling springs are pretty nice too but I still prefer clicky ALPS.

Anyway you should test the ergo clears...

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 29 July 2011, 19:50:14 »
Is like the silver bullet that does not exist!. Some people love Cherry MX (reds, blues, brown, backs) and some other people loves Topre (Like me). They can show you graphs dtata etc. But at the end of the road is matter of taste and budget.

For sure there are boards with top quality on each switch category. I prefer FILCO for cherry MX and HHKB PRO 2/RF  for Topre
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline nhwhaup

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 30 July 2011, 05:07:05 »
Now for me, I have found my perfect keyboard. It is the Filco TKL with the red switches. I also modified it to add white keycaps and soft landing pads. I absolutely love the light touch, linear feel, quietness and no shine on the white keys. For me it is truly perfect. But I guess it is all a matter of taste.
Current in order of preference:  RealForce 87U Silent White with variable weighted keys X 2, Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless with Linear Reds, Filco Number-pad, Poker with Linear Reds

Sold or returned:  Multiple Microsoft and Logitech keyboards, Das Keyboard Silent, Cherry 6140, RealForce 103UB, RealForce 86U, Filco Majestouch 2 full sized with Linear Reds