Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2449250 times)

Offline Hypersphere

Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #5700 on: Sun, 25 June 2017, 16:05:26 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Cross-posting with some of my ridiculousness. My favorite keyboard and it likely will always be my favorite because it hits so many buttons. Muh real "endgame" (doesn't mean I'm stopping, haha).
Superb!

Yes, I know what you mean about "endgame". Just when I think I've arrived, I move the goalposts myself!

Offline menuhin

« Reply #5701 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 10:21:42 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Cross-posting with some of my ridiculousness. My favorite keyboard and it likely will always be my favorite because it hits so many buttons. Muh real "endgame" (doesn't mean I'm stopping, haha).

I have seen you posting the red one too many times. ;)
But what caps and cases and switches do you have for that Numpad?
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline E3E

« Reply #5702 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 13:21:09 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I have seen you posting the red one too many times. ;)
But what caps and cases and switches do you have for that Numpad?

I've barely posted it. xP I put on the Japanese Itoh caps and also made a cable for it too now. I also cut down one of my Itoh space bars to 7u to fit on to it. I need to do a build log.

The numpad is the Duck Lightpad. Some guy wanted to trade me a Duck Viper v2 for it, or Hack'd by Geeks. I refused, of course, since it's my Orion's companion and I love it.

All of my main boards aside from my NCR are hot swap modded, so right now it has blue Alps w/ SKCL Brown for LEDs, but it could have whatever of course. The caps are what I call "Chinese PBT caps."

Uniform in profile, meaning no contour sculpt per row, and also Alps made. I've posted them before. No model name on whatever it came from, so quite hard to track down.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 June 2017, 13:23:19 by E3E »

Offline babyfeets

« Reply #5703 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 15:07:46 »
I also cut down one of my Itoh space bars to 7u to fit on to it. I need to do a build log.

Wowie! No joke let's see your methods because I had no idea. Still one of the nicest builds ever.

I should have something to show for myself but I seem to get waylaid on the way to the garage. I can't get projects finished but I'm great at getting them started! Currently dremeling up plates from a Focus 2001 and a Dell AT101w.

Offline E3E

« Reply #5704 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 18:35:58 »
Sure! This is the second time I've done a job like this. The first time was for my Orion's space bar, which was cut down to 7u from 8u.

Which you can see here:

More

With the Itoh, the space bar is around 9.25u. The boards are really rare so doing this mod was stressful, whew. I had some spare US sets, but I wanted to put those on display on the stock boards they came on, so I only had one chance to get this right.

What I do is cut off the side end of the cap and try to cut it to match the curve as closely as possible, then I shorten the bar to the proper length. After that, I attach the end piece and glue it on using a plastic resin glue, and then handle any rough edges, gouges, and such.

As you can see in the details, I accidentally let the dremel's lock nut catch an edge of the bar, and man... that sucked, but I managed to fill that gouge and work it down as well as match the color to the point of it being invisible now. Lucky me.

The last picture shows what you can see of the "scar" from the... operation, haha. Overall, it comes out very clean and very hard to notice. It takes a lot of work versus just making a cut in the middle of the bar, but it pays off since it makes the end result look stock.

Oh, and yeah, there's all the work you have to do UNDER the bar concerning stems and stabilizers, which takes hours in and of itself. It's a very tedious process.

Details:
More

Pretty terminal board, but ridiculous terminal layout, ofc--LK201 clone. Really great dyesub spherical profile caps.

Cut the end off and shaped it down. Marked the bar to size it down.

Very clean!

Ouch! That gouge hurts to see. Buut I fixed it!

Under the hood work.

You can just barely see the cut on the left side
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 June 2017, 18:48:33 by E3E »

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #5705 on: Fri, 30 June 2017, 18:32:53 »
Hey guys. Today I received my M0116 and discovered it has Salmon Alps.

The switches are not what I was expecting. I barely feel any tactility. They feel less tactile than MX Browns even. It's not bad per-say but it's not really tactile. It's a very even feeling across the board.

I tried cleaning one switch and bending the leaf a bit. This helped though the smoothness didn't seem to improve.

Not totally devastated, didn't pay much for it and it still sounds amazing.

Any other tips?

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5706 on: Fri, 30 June 2017, 19:42:27 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 11:49:59 by alienman82 »

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #5707 on: Fri, 30 June 2017, 20:02:47 »
I have a few Matias Quiet Click leafs lying around and I swapped them into some switches on the numpad as a test. It feels really nice now! Much more tactile and the extra tactility helps hide some of the scratchiness.

Perhaps with a bit of dry lube these can be saved.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5708 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 02:14:21 »
Salmons don't range in tactility, but they do range in condition. Dirty or heavily used ones feel worse. NOS ones are best!
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #5709 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 03:46:59 »
Salmons don't range in tactility, but they do range in condition. Dirty or heavily used ones feel worse. NOS ones are best!
I think that something very heavy may have been sitting on top of the keyboard for a long time. The switches don't feel super dirty or heavily used, it's just that there is absolutely zero tactility.

I opened up some more switches and bent the leafs a bit with a tooth pick and the tactility came back.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5710 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 07:48:03 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 11:49:55 by alienman82 »

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #5711 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 13:53:31 »
Still think cherry brown is best tactile switch

You are spending too much time on that G80-5000  ;)
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5712 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 14:10:52 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 11:49:51 by alienman82 »

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #5713 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 18:31:07 »
Still think cherry brown is best tactile switch

You are spending too much time on that G80-5000  ;)

While his MX5000 does feel nice SKCM Brown = best tactile switch.

SKCM Greens are way overrated
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5714 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 19:21:47 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 11:49:36 by alienman82 »

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #5715 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 23:01:36 »
I've been swapping matias quiet click leafs into my salmons but the switches seem like they click and pop sometimes on the upstroke or down stroke. I cleaned a few switches and linear modded them and they are now really smooth so it seems like the keyboard isn't in terrible shape besides the bad leafs.

Im thinking about just linear modding the whole thing.

Offline teraflame

« Reply #5716 on: Sun, 02 July 2017, 12:21:21 »
Is there a way to convert matias click switches to like matias quiet click? I just don't care for clickiness anymore.
Rubber in domes

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #5717 on: Sun, 02 July 2017, 15:36:40 »
Is there a way to convert matias click switches to like matias quiet click? I just don't care for clickiness anymore.
No. Unless you remove the click leaf and make them linear.

Or buy some Matias QC's and swap the leafs.

Offline joeym

« Reply #5718 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 06:37:41 »
Show Image

just got another alps board in

After typing on it for a couple of minutes, I can definitively conclude that dampened whites aren't for me.

My switch preference from what I've tried so far is now SKCL Greens > SKCM White Damped > TaiHao Aruz
Try modding those dampened whites!

Matias Click leaves inside dampened cream/white feel outstanding.

instead of matias click leaves, have you tried folding over the top tab to make the cream alps clicky? It feels and sounds nice and the weight decreases a tiny bit.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=79539.0

Offline waldorf120

• My keyboard never leaves me bored
« Reply #5719 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 10:48:35 »
Built an Alps numpad this weekend from an old Genovation pad.  Fully programmable and I intend to install LEDs and get them to work at some point!  (Cross post from Deskthority)

Imgur Build Log

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5720 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 11:07:43 »
Nice, the caps fit the pad pretty well :) .

« Reply #5721 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 21:39:42 »
My DD for the past year and a half has been a modern MX Blue then for about a month SKCM orange that I have click modified, I absolutely loved this board (already listed MX for sale!) but was making many typos since the M0116 moved the home keys to D and K :'( I found there was no acclimatization needed going from MX blue to SKCM oj. Got the bug and bought an SKCM blue, anyone know if I'll need to be lifting finger dumbells to get used to the weight? I type around 4-6 pages of notes per day, with 20-30 minute breaks.

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #5722 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 22:15:09 »
My DD for the past year and a half has been a modern MX Blue then for about a month SKCM orange that I have click modified, I absolutely loved this board (already listed MX for sale!) but was making many typos since the M0116 moved the home keys to D and K :'( I found there was no acclimatization needed going from MX blue to SKCM oj. Got the bug and bought an SKCM blue, anyone know if I'll need to be lifting finger dumbells to get used to the weight? I type around 4-6 pages of notes per day, with 20-30 minute breaks.

That is one issue that I hate about the Apple keyboard homing dots.  I just swapped the D&F and J&K keys so that the homing dots were under my index fingers.

IBM Model F122 X 2 internal Soarer's || IBM Model M122 internal Soarer's || AEK II SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||  AEK M0115 SKCM Orange ALPS click mod external adb_usb converter || AEK M0115 SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5723 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 02:14:07 »
Nah, SKCM blue isn't that stiff. If worst comes to worst, you can swap the springs with the orange ones I guess.

Offline waldorf120

• My keyboard never leaves me bored
« Reply #5724 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 09:37:29 »

Thanks Chyros! 

I've got another build log, this time for a Clueboard.  This one involved even more trials and tribulations, but I'm happy with the end result.  Enjoy!

Alps Clueboard

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #5725 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 16:02:05 »

<3 <3 <3

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #5726 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 17:58:09 »
Show Image

<3 <3 <3

I need to know more about those keycaps
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5727 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 18:07:37 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 11:48:52 by alienman82 »

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #5728 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 19:20:09 »
Show Image

<3 <3 <3

I need to know more about those keycaps
Well, they are Tai Hao FAME Cherry profile keycaps. Just think OG Doubleshots with alps stems. Same thickness and everything. I think they are the absolute best alps keycaps ever, however they are VERY rare. The Esc is a GMK  cap with the stem swapped. Also, the pipe, enter, and rshift are OG cherry caps stem swapped. you can tell by the different color  :mad:

Offline E3E

« Reply #5729 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 20:58:13 »
Also, the pipe, enter, and rshift are OG cherry caps stem swapped. you can tell by the different color  :mad:

Courtesy of E3E. ;)

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #5730 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 21:47:29 »
Also, the pipe, enter, and rshift are OG cherry caps stem swapped. you can tell by the different color  :mad:

Courtesy of E3E. ;)
love you dude no homo

Offline E3E

« Reply #5731 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 22:52:49 »

Courtesy of E3E. ;)
love you dude no homo

:-*

Offline monteyalps

« Reply #5732 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 21:40:54 »
Typing on Monterey Blues right now(I guess not really ALPS but the OP consist of Montereys so why not), best switch I've ever used so far.
That is all.

The board if anyone is interested:
More
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 July 2017, 15:47:51 by monteyalps »

Offline menuhin

« Reply #5733 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 03:46:44 »

Thanks Chyros! 

I've got another build log, this time for a Clueboard.  This one involved even more trials and tribulations, but I'm happy with the end result.  Enjoy!

Alps Clueboard

Show Image

This board has the case + keycap color combination that I want to build for a 60%!

Hey guys. Today I received my M0116 and discovered it has Salmon Alps.

The switches are not what I was expecting. I barely feel any tactility. They feel less tactile than MX Browns even. It's not bad per-say but it's not really tactile. It's a very even feeling across the board.

I tried cleaning one switch and bending the leaf a bit. This helped though the smoothness didn't seem to improve.

Not totally devastated, didn't pay much for it and it still sounds amazing.

Any other tips?
salmons seem to range in tactility, but I've tried newish ones and they were good.  still think cherry brown is best tactile switch

Trolling on the Alps thread with your vintage cherry browns G80-5000...? xD
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5734 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 06:52:40 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 11:48:50 by alienman82 »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #5735 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 23:48:52 »
God Alps those who Alp themselves.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline SpriteMite

« Reply #5736 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 02:52:12 »
I saw somewhere that you can use double-sided tape on the click leaves to immobilize them, essentially making them tactile. They won't have the dampened sliders, though.

Offline teraflame

« Reply #5737 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 00:53:43 »
Where do I buy quality alps stabilizers? These matias ones (https://matias.store/products/stabilizer-and-hook-set) are absolute crap. The stabs are loose, they dont hold the metal well at all. And what to do about the spacebar?
Rubber in domes

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #5738 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 07:03:16 »
Where do I buy quality alps stabilizers? These matias ones (https://matias.store/products/stabilizer-and-hook-set) are absolute crap. The stabs are loose, they dont hold the metal well at all. And what to do about the spacebar?

The ones I got were great tbh.
For the spacebar you have two options, either bend your own wires or asking them to send you some of these:

Offline teraflame

« Reply #5739 on: Sat, 29 July 2017, 22:25:49 »
Is it possible to mod costar stabs to fit into alps plate cutouts?
Rubber in domes

Offline E3E

« Reply #5740 on: Sun, 30 July 2017, 14:32:34 »
Is it possible to mod costar stabs to fit into alps plate cutouts?

It's more feasible to modify traditional alps inserts that fit into the caps to work with cruciform mounts rather than modifying costar stabs. Costar will give you limited travel in my experience.

What you want to do is shave the sides of the stab inserts so they can fit the more narrow slot along the Y axis. You will more than likely have to bend your own wire for this. Paperclips will work, but you can also buy 1mm piano wire for the job.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #5741 on: Thu, 03 August 2017, 18:21:05 »
Havent posted here for a while ;)
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
« Reply #5742 on: Mon, 14 August 2017, 11:49:51 »
Swapped the Alpine Winter mods for BadWrench mods on my V60. Also replace the MX-style stab inserts (left) with whatever the ones on the right are called, from a random spare keyset I got off ebay. Massively reduced wobble, which was letting the keyboard down, much better now.

The right shift still isn't perfect as it's using a DIY stab wire, but I do plan to make another one neater and better fitting.

I love this board, the V60 might not be the best board around and the switches are Alps clones, but I've put a fair amount into this and it's just a joy to use..

KBD75; Alps64 trio; some other stuff

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #5743 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 17:41:51 »
It's been a while since I've got my AEKII in, but I've recently picked up an Apple M0116 keyboard w/ orange alps in it. Using this board for less than a minute was all it took to convince me to commit to making an alps custom in the future.

I've never really been a fan of tactile switches before these, but something about the way that the bump "pops" feels very pleasing.

I want to try some SKCM Browns or SKCM Greens next, but seeing as they're the more expensive tactile switch I think it'll be a while.

EM7 | Nunu | Virgo | Salamander | SS AEK64

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
« Reply #5744 on: Thu, 17 August 2017, 15:46:21 »
^^ Oranges are lovely, I have some on the way for an Alps64 build.

Been messing around with a few SKCM Cream Damped I have loose.. I'd click modded one of them, which feels quite nice, so I decided to swap in the click leaf from a Matias switch - it's a tad shorter than the Alps leaf, but fit together without issue. Feel-wise, it's practically the same, maybe slightly smoother as the Matias switch is brand new. But the sound is a subtle improvement, the click is slightly higher pitched and crisper.

I'd record a sound comparison but I feel without a decent mic / camera, any difference would be indistinguishable. A nice modification, though.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #5745 on: Sun, 20 August 2017, 22:33:14 »
Hey so if anyone bought this SKCM Cream HP Vectra CS, I want its keycaps! Lost bidding by $1 :'(

http://www.ebay.com/itm/382194402155

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
« Reply #5746 on: Mon, 21 August 2017, 05:27:55 »
Magenta legends? They look nice! What profile would they be?

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
« Reply #5747 on: Mon, 21 August 2017, 09:27:14 »
Is anyone looking for an Alpine Winter set? Guy on r/MechMarket has the set + extra spacebars + novelties... I already have the set but I'd like the spacebars and novelties.

He may split if he can get a buyer for either half.. wondering if anyone here is looking for just the base set?

Link to advert: https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/6v0dde/ustx_h_kk_r1_mod_set_hyperfuse_hhkb_ii_black_deep/

Offline The_Boom_Boy

« Reply #5748 on: Wed, 23 August 2017, 08:41:22 »
I don't know if i have posted it here yet put this is my alps build that I 3D printed

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #5749 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 00:38:17 »
I did a thing :D