Author Topic: ManuForm: custom contoured 50% ergo board  (Read 117584 times)

Offline Fictiouz

• That "White" Guy
  • "You miss 100% of the shots you take." -S. Trooper
Re: ManuForm: custom contoured 50% ergo board
« Reply #100 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 08:21:10 »
This thing looks so awesome. I don't know if I can handle a vertically staggered layout yet though. I want to try!
Halifax, NS Meetup | "I know you'll come back to me, I'm like a good kind of herpes, I'm impossible to get rid of." - 27
67g Zilent V2 M60-A | BKE Redux HHKB Professional 2 | 62g Silent Black Planck | 62g Vint Black Tex Yoda II | Bolt-Modded Model M 1391301

Offline jeffgran

« Reply #101 on: Sat, 01 October 2016, 11:43:25 »
@lkong awesome! Thanks for posting your build pictures, it's so cool to see another one being built. :) Hope you like the finished product. FYI I tried DSA caps at first, but I liked the feel of the board WAY better with the sculpted DCS caps, with the tall "number row" ones on the top row and the regular middle/bottom row ones on the middle/bottom rows.

Offline lkong

« Reply #102 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 23:44:18 »
@lkong awesome! Thanks for posting your build pictures, it's so cool to see another one being built. :) Hope you like the finished product. FYI I tried DSA caps at first, but I liked the feel of the board WAY better with the sculpted DCS caps, with the tall "number row" ones on the top row and the regular middle/bottom row ones on the middle/bottom rows.

I just used what's available in my grab bag.
Yes the top rows could use some tilting. If there's more space I'd probably go with SA caps with nicely curved R1s.

I'm playing with they layout right now. I put number and arrows in the second layer, So for most symbols are assigned to the same fingers as my ergodox.
Also arrows are map to HJKL as I'm a vim user.

If I can do any redesign, I'd probably put another row on top for numbers and move up pinkie clusters by half a key space.

Offline nhopubrid

« Reply #103 on: Wed, 05 October 2016, 08:31:52 »
I do want to record myself using emacs on this thing for posterity. :) I'll see if I can get that done.

Do it! Top view, please. :)

Offline jeffgran

« Reply #104 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 22:24:49 »
I do want to record myself using emacs on this thing for posterity. :) I'll see if I can get that done.

Do it! Top view, please. :)

As you requested! Took me a long time but I finally found the combination of time, motivation, equipment, and... remembering to do this. :)

Offline Tshort

« Reply #105 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 19:05:49 »
I took a first stab at printing half of a split ManuForm. This is with G20 keycaps.

161610-0

My main reason for splitting is that a half keyboard will fit on the bed of the 3d printers at the makerspace I belong to. I added two keys, but I goofed on the placement and angle, so these keycaps don't fit on those two keys.

The thumb cluster is fabulous. It's far better than anything else I've tried! That makes me want to keep trying. The quality of the print was "okay". I printed it with 0.2-mm layers. The main thing I don't like is the placement of the columns for the pinky and middle finger. I'd rather have displacement in the Z direction instead of the Y direction. I've got a Maltron shell, and I really like the placement of the main finger keys (the ManuForm has a better thumb cluster).

If I ever get a design I like, I'll post the files somewhere. I'm a beginner at 3d modeling and at 3d printing, so it may take a while. I've been trying to use Blender for this.

Offline jeffgran

« Reply #106 on: Sun, 05 March 2017, 18:07:47 »
Cool! Nice work. I had the same issue (caps wouldn't fit) on some of my prototypes too.

I guess I should try to get my hands on a maltron to see if I agree with you that the finger layout is better. I based this mostly off of my Kinesis Advantage... but now that I think of it, it has z-displacement too. I forget why I made the decision to go Y instead of Z, just by accident maybe or because it was easier to model that at the time.

Anyway, thanks for the picture and report, it's fun to see what people do with this. :)

Offline Tshort

« Reply #107 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 16:03:06 »
For my split design, I switched gears because I couldn't easily get Blender to do what I wanted. I adapted the Dactyl keyboard code instead.

I tried to match the ManuForm thumb cluster as closely as possible. It's still not quite right. The pinky and thumb don't align right for my hands. I need to rotate the thumb cluster or shift the pinky keys down like the ManuForm. The nice thing about this design is that you can easily adjust the number of rows and columns as well as the tilts. Here is the code along with model files:

https://github.com/tshort/dactyl-keyboard

It still needs a few more iterations, but it's coming along.

Offline ju6ju8Oo

« Reply #108 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 18:47:11 »
Is there a version for a thumb-fan, instead of a cluster?

Offline Tshort

« Reply #109 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 18:50:52 »
I haven't seen a fanned-thumb version.

Offline ju6ju8Oo

« Reply #110 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 20:41:57 »
what're the benefits of using an RJ9 jack instead of TRRS? I plan to build an TRRS version, will it work?

Offline Tshort

« Reply #111 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 06:09:37 »
As far as connections TRRS will work. Folks have had connection issues with it.

https://github.com/adereth/dactyl-keyboard/issues/7

Offline Askesemann

• Giesing 2060
« Reply #112 on: Fri, 08 February 2019, 09:35:43 »
Hi,

I'm currently building a ManuForm. I've fallen in love with the design a while ago when I researched ergonomic keyboards and now I've gotten my employer to sponsor the parts. :) It's the first keyboard I've ever built myself and I'm already dreading having to debug it, but putting it together is a lot of fun and I'm really excited to try it out when it's finished. Thanks so much for posting everything here! Great work!

Manuel
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 February 2019, 09:39:24 by Askesemann »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #113 on: Sat, 09 February 2019, 06:20:56 »
It's the first keyboard I've ever built myself and I'm already dreading having to debug it, but putting it together is a lot of fun and I'm really excited to try it out when it's finished.

I hate to say it Manuel but I think your diodes are all wrong - the ends with a black bar need to be connected rather than having them all in a line.  Please see picture below borrowed from http://trauring.org (no affiliation, just giving credit)

212549-0

You're a lucky guy(?) to get your employer to sponsor a custom board!
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 February 2019, 06:22:51 by suicidal_orange »
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline vvp

« Reply #114 on: Sat, 09 February 2019, 10:26:42 »
The orientation of diodes depends on the firmware - whether it uses positive or negative logic.

Sometimes it may depend on hardware as well. It is so in case of external pull-up / pull-down resistors. But hardly anybody uses external resistors for this.

Offline kikan

« Reply #115 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 11:07:07 »
It's the first keyboard I've ever built myself and I'm already dreading having to debug it, but putting it together is a lot of fun and I'm really excited to try it out when it's finished.

I hate to say it Manuel but I think your diodes are all wrong - the ends with a black bar need to be connected rather than having them all in a line.  Please see picture below borrowed from http://trauring.org (no affiliation, just giving credit)

(Attachment Link)

You're a lucky guy(?) to get your employer to sponsor a custom board!

Hi suicidal_orange,

Isn't Askesemann following this guide correctly ? => https://imgur.com/a/QVU3J

I'm just trying to understand, since I'm quite tempted to try and built one myself but would rather go QMK than TMK since I wouldn't be able to program it if not for QMK.

Regards,

K

Offline Askesemann

• Giesing 2060
« Reply #116 on: Tue, 12 March 2019, 05:15:32 »
Yeah, I'm a bit confused now. I've changed the diodes in the meantime, but I agree that the schematics look more like what I had before. I think I 'll just finish it up now and see whether it works.

Offline Askesemann

• Giesing 2060
« Reply #117 on: Sat, 16 March 2019, 05:06:07 »
Hallelujah, it does work! i am typing this on the ManuForm right now. ;D The only thing that I had to fix was the connection of the bottom row to the teensy. I had gotten that wrong because I had looked at the schematics on my mobile where the label was all blurry. :-[ So, I'll start practicing now. It's still slow going, but it feels amazing already. Thanks again to Jeff and everyone else for your input, especially suicidal_orange for the hint about the diodes!

Offline keyceptoRR

« Reply #118 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 08:37:14 »
Hi, I have a question about ease of use/ergonomics... When writing code I usually not only navigate with arrows/home/end but also use modifiers, e.g. Shift-End to select till the end of line, Alt-Shift-Left to go to previous location in the IDE, Ctrl-Shift-Down to go to another workspace, Shift-Down to select a block of text, etc... how about these combinations? I would have to press the identifier button as well, is that really convenient?

Offline darrenph1

« Reply #119 on: Thu, 04 July 2019, 10:20:25 »
So I'm in the process of changing up the code and have it to where I want it but I think I'm stuck. I prefer a good amount of tent. I noticed when I change the code, the angle of the main keypad will tent but the thumb cluster just basically moves vertical. It doesn't angle out to match the tent if that makes sense.

The only thing I've been able to do is raise the different section but it's not really the right way. Is this even possible?

EDIT: Nevermind I finally found the section:

(defn thumb-tr-place [shape]
  (->> shape
      ;  (rotate (deg2rad  10) [1 0 0])
      ;  (rotate (deg2rad -23) [0 1 0])
      ;  (rotate (deg2rad  -3) [0 0 1])
       (rotate (deg2rad  25) [1 0 0])
       (rotate (deg2rad -23) [0 1 0])
       (rotate (deg2rad  10) [0 0 1])
       (translate thumborigin)
       (translate [-12 -16 3])
       ))
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 July 2019, 11:13:44 by darrenph1 »

Offline vvp

« Reply #120 on: Thu, 04 July 2019, 14:02:48 »
I solved angles by printing a stand which adds some tilting/tenting to  a base model which is designed as flat as possible.

Offline darrenph1

« Reply #121 on: Thu, 04 July 2019, 15:58:07 »
I solved angles by printing a stand which adds some tilting/tenting to  a base model which is designed as flat as possible.

I might end up doing that. I wanted to have it as clean as possible with the tent integrated so there 1 less part to worry about. I'm gonna try another 2 prints modifying the code and if I can't dial it in I'll try the tented base.

Offline vvp

« Reply #122 on: Fri, 05 July 2019, 01:57:49 »
A separate tent has an advantage that you can change it later on by printing only a different stand.