Author Topic: GH CAD Resources Hub  (Read 370518 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Re: GH CAD Resources Hub
« Reply #200 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 15:20:23 »
So how much do the switch cutouts add to the price of cutting material?

A surprising amount.  Especially when used with water jet, because before each turn they have to slow down the feed rate to maintain a quality cut.  This adds a surprising amount to the the cutting time required.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #201 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 15:37:51 »
So how much do the switch cutouts add to the price of cutting material?

A surprising amount.  Especially when used with water jet, because before each turn they have to slow down the feed rate to maintain a quality cut.  This adds a surprising amount to the the cutting time required.
do you have some sort of example? Like a 30% difference for plates?
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #202 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 16:33:44 »
That I can't tell ya.  Mkawa could probably help you out with that as he has had plates made with and without notches for the exact same plates in Ti.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #203 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 16:43:37 »
That I can't tell ya.  Mkawa could probably help you out with that as he has had plates made with and without notches for the exact same plates in Ti.
If you have to slow it down to something like 1/2 the speed, you can figure out the time/cost difference between cutouts.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #204 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 21:58:52 »
If you have to slow it down to something like 1/2 the speed, you can figure out the time/cost difference between cutouts.

Tonight I did a back of the napkin calculation to try to give some sort of context to Melvang's comment about the price of cutting going up based on the  complexity of the cutout.  This is totally a rough calculation which does not have a direct monetary representation, but it will give you an idea.  Basically, these numbers represent the length of the cut or the outline of the switch, plus a static value for each corner to account for the machine having to slow down.  Again, this is totally a rough calculation just to illustrate the point.

Basically, each of these values is the length in mm, plus 1mm per corner to account for the slow down.  So for the basic cutout you get 7+7+7+7+4 = 32.  Make sense?

Hopefully this gives some proportional idea how much more expensive the more elaborate cutouts will be.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #205 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 22:10:15 »

Tonight I did a back of the napkin calculation to try to give some sort of context to Melvang's comment about the price of cutting going up based on the  complexity of the cutout.  This is totally a rough calculation which does not have a direct monetary representation, but it will give you an idea.  Basically, these numbers represent the length of the cut or the outline of the switch, plus a static value for each corner to account for the machine having to slow down.  Again, this is totally a rough calculation just to illustrate the point.

Basically, each of these values is the length in mm, plus 1mm per corner to account for the slow down.  So for the basic cutout you get 7+7+7+7+4 = 32.  Make sense?

(Attachment Link)

Hopefully this gives some proportional idea how much more expensive the more elaborate cutouts will be.

As someone who does laser engraving (not cutting) as part of my daily job, this seems pretty accurate. Expect the holes with "H" cuts to cost almost double what the simple square holes would cost.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #206 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 22:12:15 »

(Attachment Link)

As someone who does laser engraving (not cutting) as part of my daily job, this seems pretty accurate. Expect the holes with "H" cuts to cost almost double what the simple square holes would cost.
Thanks JD. I was kind of guessing on my algorithm, so thanks for confirming that I am not totally off base. :)

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #207 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 23:12:42 »

(Attachment Link)

Thanks JD. I was kind of guessing on my algorithm, so thanks for confirming that I am not totally off base. :)

While I don't have any direct experience with the cutting methods used in this discussion, I do have a good working knowledge of the process.  And this seems pretty accurate with the distance that it would be getting slowed down at these thicknesses.  For thicker material it probably has a longer distance it slows down in, along with slowing down and speeding up at a linear rate instead of instant changes in speed to reduce inducing vibration into the cutting head.

Offline zennasyndroxx

• It's good to be back!
« Reply #208 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 23:23:47 »
Is there any available universal TKL plate cad files?

Offline ReeferMadness

• Too weird to live, too rare to die.
« Reply #209 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 15:59:08 »
Just wanted to say thank you for all the resources, they will end up being a great help  :thumb:

Offline animated

• uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
« Reply #210 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 13:47:28 »
I might get lucky and have access to get a acrylic board made.  I couldn't find it in the dropbox, I might be blind, but does anyone have a CAD file for acrylic TKL case? Thanks  :thumb:

edit: NVM , I think I found it!
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 February 2015, 13:52:36 by animated »
Das Browns, Filco Reds, Filco Blues, Leopold FC750R Reds, B.87 and B.Pad Gateron Blacks 65G Korean Springs, Varmillo VA87MR Gateron Blacks w/ Aluminum Case

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #212 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 14:39:57 »

Offline StinkyTheDonut

• I like rubber domes.
« Reply #213 on: Sat, 14 February 2015, 13:53:29 »
Anybody have measurements and positioning the of cutouts for costar stabs without being combined with the cherry cutouts?

I'm guessing it's the exact same rectangular hole minus the notches on 3 sides and the opening for the wire that runs through the switch to the opposite stab, but I don't want to assume and mess it up.

I'm trying to make a plate for costar stabs with minimal extra openings to save cost and prevent dust and spills from creeping in.
I only have a washable keyboard.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #214 on: Sat, 14 February 2015, 16:02:52 »
Anybody have measurements and positioning the of cutouts for costar stabs without being combined with the cherry cutouts?

I'm guessing it's the exact same rectangular hole minus the notches on 3 sides and the opening for the wire that runs through the switch to the opposite stab, but I don't want to assume and mess it up.

I'm trying to make a plate for costar stabs with minimal extra openings to save cost and prevent dust and spills from creeping in.

Here you go...

in memoriam

Offline StinkyTheDonut

• I like rubber domes.
« Reply #215 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 22:24:53 »

Here you go...

Show Image

Show Image

Thanks a lot. Now my life is complete. =)

Edit: I see swill has added it to his tool. lol
I should have been more patient/lazy XD
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 February 2015, 22:58:59 by StinkyTheDonut »
I only have a washable keyboard.

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #216 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 11:36:42 »
How far apart should I be spacing the cutouts for a plate if I am going to measure it from center to center?

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #217 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 11:40:01 »
Or does JD's plate cutout guides work if I copy the squares they are surrounded in and I tile them?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #218 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 11:48:40 »
Or does JD's plate cutout guides work if I copy the squares they are surrounded in and I tile them?

Take the file from the OP and tile them as you have described.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #219 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 11:50:43 »

Take the file from the OP and tile them as you have described.
Ok, thanks! I am taking a try at designing a board I want from scratch, and I feel like the plate is the best place to start.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #220 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 14:44:23 »
How far apart should I be spacing the cutouts for a plate if I am going to measure it from center to center?
Center to center is 19.05mm. Have you tried my builder app?  http://builder.swillkb.com

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #221 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 15:17:23 »
Center to center is 19.05mm. Have you tried my builder app?  http://builder.swillkb.com
I have, but what I plan on doing is custom making everything. I want to make an aluminum case, and in order to do that where it is flush, I need to custom make the plate so it will seat the way I want it to. Although one thing that has me really confused is making sure everything is the right measurement, as copying and pasting JD's stuff and then measuring it is giving me like 16.xxx measurements on just the switch cutouts, and I am doing it because it is a lot easier to measure.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #222 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 17:21:03 »
I have, but what I plan on doing is custom making everything. I want to make an aluminum case, and in order to do that where it is flush, I need to custom make the plate so it will seat the way I want it to. Although one thing that has me really confused is making sure everything is the right measurement, as copying and pasting JD's stuff and then measuring it is giving me like 16.xxx measurements on just the switch cutouts, and I am doing it because it is a lot easier to measure.
Feel free to send me a dxf file and I can look over it for you.

You may want to create a dxf file with my tool and then open it in a cad program and edit as needed. That may save you some time. Let me know if you need help with anything and I will answer any questions I can. :)

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #223 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 17:25:02 »

You may want to create a dxf file with my tool and then open it in a cad program and edit as needed. That may save you some time. Let me know if you need help with anything and I will answer any questions I can. :)
Ok, thanks! Your tool has been very helpful with measurements, make a plate in the layout I want it, and measure it. I plan on taking some time with it, that way I can order each part once, maybe twice, that way I don't waste money on prototyping.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #224 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 17:27:51 »

Ok, thanks! Your tool has been very helpful with measurements, make a plate in the layout I want it, and measure it. I plan on taking some time with it, that way I can order each part once, maybe twice, that way I don't waste money on prototyping.
Tonight I will be releasing an update which will draw all the different layers of the sandwich case. Not sure if that will help you.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #225 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 17:29:17 »

Tonight I will be releasing an update which will draw all the different layers of the sandwich case. Not sure if that will help you.
It will really help, I am scared I will screw up measurements or something free drawing the plate mounts.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #226 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 17:33:26 »

It will really help, I am scared I will screw up measurements or something free drawing the plate mounts.
It will probably go up at about midnight EST because I am busy till then. I still have some finishing touches, but it is basically ready.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #227 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 18:13:35 »

One thing I noticed when I open the generated DXF files, whenever I make a selection, it selects everything ,and not the each cutout.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #228 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 18:15:13 »

One thing I noticed when I open the generated DXF files, whenever I make a selection, it selects everything ,and not the each cutout.
Ya. That is expected because it is all exported as a single object. I am going to look into that and see if there is an easy way to split it up.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #229 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 18:17:18 »

Ya. That is expected because it is all exported as a single object. I am going to look into that and see if there is an easy way to split it up.
Ah, thanks for the info, the generator is great nonetheless.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #230 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 17:11:40 »
Anybody have drawings or a technical sheet for the ES-87 case?  I am considering doing a custom version but I don't have a reference.

Offline xtazy222

« Reply #231 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 05:22:29 »
Is there any available universal TKL plate cad files?

Yes please. Anyone?

Offline vvp

« Reply #232 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 06:31:20 »
It may have been already mentioned here, but if not:
* skull keycap stl file: https://github.com/kekstee/3dprint/tree/master/keycap

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #233 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 22:26:31 »
Is there an agreed upon set of dimensions for the 'poker' style 60% cases which everyone seems to be using?  I have seen a couple different cad drawings and some layouts with dimensions, but they are all different (but more than a mm).  I don't see it in the OP here, so I was wondering if this is available somewhere?

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #234 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 17:48:21 »
I'm teaching myself Fusion 360 so I have some experience with CAD which is based on a GUI rather than scripting.  My practice item is a Row 3 spherical keycap.  This should be similar to the SA keycap dimensions but not quite the same.

I've sent off to have Sculpteo print a copy of it off, so I can see how it looks in the real world.  My first time using Sculpteo over i.Materialise, so I am interested to see how their stuff looks in comparison.

I've attached the .stl file to this post for others to make use of.  If somebody wants a different format, let me know, and I will try to hook you up.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #235 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 17:11:36 »
Does anyone have the different measurements of the keycaps? I am trying out some ideas in AutoCAD, and I want to have the proper spacing and measurements. Thanks!

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #236 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 17:15:25 »
Nevermind, the plate components has spacing built in.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #237 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 23:18:36 »
I'm teaching myself Fusion 360 so I have some experience with CAD which is based on a GUI rather than scripting.  My practice item is a Row 3 spherical keycap.  This should be similar to the SA keycap dimensions but not quite the same.

Show Image

Show Image

I've sent off to have Sculpteo print a copy of it off, so I can see how it looks in the real world.  My first time using Sculpteo over i.Materialise, so I am interested to see how their stuff looks in comparison.

I've attached the .stl file to this post for others to make use of.  If somebody wants a different format, let me know, and I will try to hook you up.

I got the real world version in today.  My 3D printed cap. 

The height is somewhere between Signature Plastic's DSA and SA row 3 profiles

I'm glad I did this test run.  The stem shrank in a way I didn't expect, and the cruciform is a bit too big.  It slips on and off the stems too easily.  This is an easily fixable problem.

Offline trauring

• off on a tangent
« Reply #238 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 03:54:58 »
Is there a CAD file of the holes needed in a PCB to insert an MX-compatible switch? All the holes needed for the contact, LEDs, diodes, etc.?

Thanks.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #239 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 10:14:14 »
Can someone measure the height of a Row 1 SA keycap for me? Thanks in advance!

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #240 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 13:30:13 »
Is there a CAD file of the holes needed in a PCB to insert an MX-compatible switch? All the holes needed for the contact, LEDs, diodes, etc.?

Thanks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xxndnm3gpfw3u52/MX1A.mod?dl=0

Here's the KiCAD module for just an MX switch.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #241 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 15:02:50 »
Can someone measure the height of a Row 1 SA keycap for me? Thanks in advance!

http://keycapsdirect.com/pdfs/SAFamily.pdf?

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #242 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 15:03:49 »
Doesn't have the full height of the sculpt, I already downloaded the PDF

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #243 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 15:44:44 »

Yeah, I wish I had a Row 1 to measure for you, I sent all mine to JD a few months ago. 

I thought it would be easy to calculate.  Using the info on the PDF, you can calculate the height of the Row 2 cap based on the angle of the top (7°) being swept out as an arc of a circle using  s =r\theta.  That won't work for Row 1 since the 'low' part of the top of the form is not flush with the top of the cap on the 0° Row 1 cap.  It felt good to stretch my geometry muscles for a bit though.

Thanks.

I looked at that KiCAD pack, and the ALPS mount looks a little weird for me - double pin 1 hole.  Does it come up like mine when you look at it?

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #244 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 15:46:09 »

Yeah, I wish I had a Row 1 to measure for you, I sent all mine to JD a few months ago. 

I thought it would be easy to calculate.  Using the info on the PDF, you can calculate the height of the Row 2 cap based on the angle of the top (7°) being swept out as an arc of a circle using  s =r\theta.  That won't work for Row 1 since the 'low' part of the top of the form is not flush with the top of the cap on the 0° Row 1 cap.  It felt good to stretch my geometry muscles for a bit though.

Thanks.

I looked at that KiCAD pack, and the ALPS mount looks a little weird for me - double pin 1 hole.  Does it come up like mine when you look at it?

Show Image

Yeah, that's how they should look if you want MX and Alps to work.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #245 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 15:48:31 »

Thanks.

Show Image

Yeah, that's how they should look if you want MX and Alps to work.

Oh, both at the same time.  That makes more sense.

Offline unoab

« Reply #246 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 23:08:51 »

My calipers suck, but it looks to be about 16.5mm tall at the peak (sub millimeter measurements are by eye, so consider this a rough measurement till someone with decent calipers can take a measurement or I can take a cap to work and measure it tomorrow).  And row2/4 looks to be ~13.75mm if you wanted that height too.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #247 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 23:11:37 »

My calipers suck, but it looks to be about 16.5mm tall at the peak (sub millimeter measurements are by eye, so consider this a rough measurement till someone with decent calipers can take a measurement or I can take a cap to work and measure it tomorrow).  And row2/4 looks to be ~13.75mm if you wanted that height too.
Thank you!

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #248 on: Sun, 14 June 2015, 21:18:12 »
Well I'm a huge CAD noob and I have a plate file from Beast. I just need the caps lock hole enlarged to allow for a left stem in addition to the center stem.

Can someone help me modify the file?
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #249 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 05:06:34 »

Well I'm a huge CAD noob and I have a plate file from Beast. I just need the caps lock hole enlarged to allow for a left stem in addition to the center stem.

Can someone help me modify the file?
Yeah, I am not at my PC, but if you go to the Dropbox link in the 1st page, download the Plate Resources that JD made, and then you will find the correct holes. Take the 1u, like it up with the 'a' hole next to caps lock, place it there, get the off center caps, place it wherever, highlight it, click the move tool, place the movement on the bottom right of the bounding box, and place it on the bottom left corner of the a hole bounding box