Author Topic: MtG/ MtGO Thread (Magic: The Gathering)  (Read 25983 times)

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
MtG/ MtGO Thread (Magic: The Gathering)
« on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 19:36:56 »
How in the world I got into a TCG again is beyond me but... it's a hell of a lot more fun than I remember it  8)

Just finished an M14 Sealed deck league and attended GP Oakland. 2 boxes of Theros ordered.

Somehow wound up carrying 8000 cards back from Berkeley on my bike the other day. Not called cardboard crack for nothin'.

So what do you play? Standard? Commander? Legacy? Online? MtG Thread go!

« Last Edit: Tue, 15 October 2013, 11:02:29 by jwaz »

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: MtG/ MtGO Thread
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 19:37:58 »
Love game is very good, many plays

should get in on MTGO and learn 2 draft

my standard OP
I love Elzy

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 19:55:39 »
I usually play extended standard, vintage, free for all, and 100 card singleton(maybe my favorite) 2headed giant is fun also

Haven't played in like a year though

Offline fydo

• Meow!
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 21:47:23 »
I used to play heavily when I was a teenager.

These days I'll sometimes play the Pauper format on MTGO. Being able to build a viable deck with <$10 makes it feel like it's not such a huge money sink. :)
CoolerMaster Quickfire Rapid | Ducky Shine II (White LED)

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 15:07:38 »
wtf more talk about magic

I officially completed my deck today... even though rotation is like in 2 weeks **** my life. Only my lands (glacial fortress) and Think Twice are getting rotated though. I have some alternatives in mind.
I love Elzy

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 15:12:21 »
How is MtG online? How expensive is it to rebuild your physical collection?

Offline thebeargentile

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 15:18:32 »
How is MtG online? How expensive is it to rebuild your physical collection?

MtGO is almost excatly like paper Magic, though the community is faster paced, and there tends to be less socialization.  In my experience, the players are also very good..a lot better than most of the local players I've faced.    For the most part, buying singles is much cheaper than paper alternatives, though tournament staples can still get pretty expensive.  There are a lot of bots that you can buy cheaper singles and boosters from. 

There are several services/communities that will trade paper cards for MtGO cards, but this usually isn't the way to go, since paper cards tend to be worth more.  If you're looking to make a total switch to online, you're best off selling your cards and buying the online copy of what you're looking for.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 15:26:09 »
I am a very casual player (I play a few times a year at most). Still i love the game.

I started playing when revised was out (I was in elementary school), and player until ice age or not much later. Sadly sold my cards then cause of my mother.

I then started playing again like 8 years ago. I built a nice 60 cards elf deck (no restriction). Fun deck to play. More recently, I made myself 2-3 commander decks. I really love this format since it's more slow and less focused on "super combos" or "swarm your opponents". Since I am a casual player, even if I like looking at all the new cards, I don't have the time to spend to build a deck on a regular basis, nor the money to get 4 of each rare I would need.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline RapidCancel

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 19:51:36 »
I used to play a long time ago back in middle school (somewhere 10+ years ago) and my friends and I recently have gotten back into it.  We've been playing mainly every weekend and we bought a few booster boxes at first to do a draft, but now we all just get single cards.

For anyone who plays MtGO, is it worth it? 

Offline Lanx

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 17:58:52 »
mtg, fck that. I played extensively, in 97 i was ranked 3rd in arena in ny (sanctioned mtg games). I couldn't get higher cuz i hd to bounce around comic book stores to not only find other mtg players but ones that
a. were in arena
b. had an official ref (he sent the results using the magical internet)
c. wanted to replay me after they lost (i'm not being an @$$ i only lost 1 or 2 matches out of 30)

i had to finally goto neutral ground, the biggest place for card games tcg all that stuff in the 90's in ny. hell you had to pay a $20 just to enter the store to play games. This is where guys like finkel "get good". (don't ask he destroyed me in type 1, this was his getting good period).

the thing with mtg is that you have to constantly play others, or others that are good! otherwise you get stagnant and you don't grow. (i gave up mtg in college... grades!!!)

with mtgO, it was like amazing, you can play anyone in the world! and at anytime. (i don't play anymore mtgo, lost too much time!)

Offline Phedran

• Phedran.com
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 22:32:36 »
I've never been hardcore but MtG has had it's hooks in me more than once..

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 00:12:54 »
Played today, school club started up again ^_^ stomping noobs... feels bad. Might just draft random decks instead of use mine.

Going to be playing at LGS tomorrow for cash prize.
I love Elzy

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 00:29:06 »
Used to play a ton up until a few months ago. A bunch of the guys I played with at school graduated, and the bigger FNMs are quite a ways away from me. I play MTGO occasionally, but atm I only play Momir Basic, which is a hilarious format by the way. RNG your way to victory.
Keyboards Owned:

Realforce Topre 91 Key JIS Profile - Main
CM Quickfire Rapid Blue Switches
IBM Model M in Industrial Shell

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 22:32:37 »
Wow, MTG....

Not thought about that game in a long time - I think I finally sold my last tournament deck back in 96 or 97.  Old Type 1 fast land kill deck, all of its cards came out of Beta, Arabian Nights or Legends.  60 cards, used all five colors and it had probaby every restricted card at the time (Black lotus, all 5 moxes, Sol Ring, dual lands, Time Walk, Time Twister, Regrowth, Demonic Tutor, Strip Mine).

On a good draw I could take two turns, get out two lands, a big 5/5 creature (Juzam Djinn) and be close to putting out a Dingus Egg or an Underworld Dreams.  Any land my opponent would play would get quickly killed by a Stone Rain, Sinkhole or Ice Storm.  Had Disenchants and Swords to Plowshares to care for enchantments / artifacts / creatures.  My only offense was basic creature damage (Erham or Juzam Djinns), direct damage (Lighting bolts or Psionic blasts), or card damage (Dingus egg, The Rack, Undrrworld Dreams).

I would do plenty of damage to myself also, with City of Brass, upkeep damage from the Juzam, or damage to myself from the Psionics; didn't matter though, as long as my opponent got to zero first.  Which they usually did, since I would kill any land they would play - or I would put out Nether Void and make everything more expensive than they could cast.

I probably don't even know half of the current rules anymore, nor any of the new cards from who knows how many expansions since I stopped playing...
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 22:36:12 »
Last night was my first night back playing in live games, lost pretty badly 4-1 (first game I should have won 2-0 but was unfamiliar with cards/rusty so I lost 2-1), second game I lost 2-0, and there was apparently a third game but I no showed it.

Tonight I went 3-1, 6-3 in total games. 6th place out of 17.
I love Elzy

Offline abdulmuhsee

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 11:21:53 »
I used to play this game every single week back in Jr. High around the time of Masques, Invasion, and Odyssey.

I tried to get back into it about a year ago, but I think I enjoyed reminiscing more than the game itself; the original reason I stopped playing was because the deck I built and became attached to cycled out.  I didn't really want to play if I had to ditch my favorite cards and purchase entirely different ones.

Prereleases/Drafts are still fun based on the few I went to, but it's far too expensive of a hobby with too little variation (IMO) in the upper tiers, whether it be standard, legacy, or whatever.  I got tired of seeing the same decks, which you pretty much have to use if you want to win consistently.

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 21:25:07 »
Just started playing mtg.  Still learning rules but the only games I've played so far was 3 games of EDH(using other people's decks) and I've had a blast.  Also trying to find out what all these effects are that creatures have (fear, etc.) and how the combat works.  Only tcg I played was yugioh like 10 years ago so I felt like an idiot when I tried attacking specific creatures with mine.

Just picked up sleeves that should come in monday and now I gotta find a <$100(preferably) deck or try and get my friends to build me one from spare cards :S.
GON NS 87 62g clears, QFR 62g clears, Pure 65g blues, HHKB Pro II

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 21:28:05 »
Got my ass kicked in a Theros PtQ today, it's a pretty solid set so far though.

Xender have you considered any of the other formats?

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 21:42:29 »

Well I'm probably only going to play with my friends at school and I think they mainly just play EDH.  I know some of them have decks for other formats(I think modern?) but we usually just play EDH with like 3-5 people at a time.

I would consider other formats if they played them but I think those other formats are probably going to cost a ton, which I'm trying to avoid XD.

I know some of them go to tournies and draft stuff.  One of them recently won some box thing with like 20 cards in it that they said was $100+.  I just remember it had a flip cover thing and you could see like three foils and it may have had a die inside it too
GON NS 87 62g clears, QFR 62g clears, Pure 65g blues, HHKB Pro II

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 21:48:06 »

What deck did you run? What are you planning to run with Theros rotation?

I'm debating if I'm going to splash some black into my deck for Esper control (since apparently it's better than just U/W). For sure I need to buy 2 Elspeths.

I've only been losing to Gruul midrange.
I love Elzy

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 22:32:50 »
I know some of them go to tournies and draft stuff.  One of them recently won some box thing with like 20 cards in it that they said was $100+.  I just remember it had a flip cover thing and you could see like three foils and it may have had a die inside it too

If it's a From the Vault I'll buy it off you, I missed out at my local game shop :/

Sifo, I have no idea, I have only been playing limited formats and mostly sealed.

Tried my friends aristocrats and boros burn decks, they're fun but I don't want to sink the money in. So far all my stuff is M14/ Theros

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 22:50:26 »
Oh man, last time I played was a couple years ago but it was good times. I played a Sonic Boom deck and it was awesome countering everything, my friends hated playing against it though lol

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 22:58:40 »
I see. Constructed standard ftw, but ****'s expensive.

To anyone, let me know if you have Mutavault/Elspeth/Jace, Architect of Thought, I need 'em.
I love Elzy

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 23:40:39 »
my only relation to mtg is I know Gary Wise personally!
Keyboardless

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 23:41:59 »
shhh mr pro yugioh player
I love Elzy

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 10:10:54 »
didn't pay that well, should have picked something better to be pro at
Keyboardless

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 01:14:25 »
^like magic

Welp, bought 2 Elspeths for $62 shipped. That about completes my deck unless I want to splash in black for Esper... which will cost too much for me to buy all the shock lands and ****. Fml
I love Elzy

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 01:58:06 »
should just ask me for cards, friend owns a card shop

most of my close friends are tcg players of some sort
Keyboardless

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 03:00:24 »
should just ask me for cards, friend owns a card shop

most of my close friends are tcg players of some sort

Why did you tell me this like an hour earlier Q_Q will keep that in mind for the future.
I love Elzy

Offline RapidCancel

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 19:31:08 »
^like magic

Welp, bought 2 Elspeths for $62 shipped. That about completes my deck unless I want to splash in black for Esper... which will cost too much for me to buy all the shock lands and ****. Fml

She's pretty pricey right now.  One of my friends happened to pull 2 this weekend from random boosters...bastard lol.  So jelly.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 19:32:10 »
^ Wow what a lucky bastard.

I bought my final Jace, AoT for $20 from a friend. Wish I got my last one before he went up in price.... got my other 2 for really cheap and my 3rd one free.
I love Elzy

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 23:13:51 »

If it's a From the Vault I'll buy it off you, I missed out at my local game shop :/

If it's From the Vault 20, send on the Mind Sculptor.

I love Elzy

Offline jabar

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 00:33:01 »
Magic was fun when WotC wasn't releasing a core set every year, a block every 1.5 years, using the same recycled mechanics every few years. Individual cards seemed to have more meaning when they weren't one copy among 10000+.

Stopped playing in 2004, still have a lot of old crap in binders.
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline RapidCancel

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 17:05:54 »
I want to get Archangel of Thune, but the price is really putting me off at around $20 - $25.  Any ideas if it'll raise or lower in price?

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 11:01:26 »
^ I have a couple of those.

Here is this past weekends Pro Tour: Theros from Dublin.

http://www.twitch.tv/magic/profile/pastBroadcasts

Love that it was all about Devotion decks! Best new mechanic.

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
Re: MtG/ MtGO Thread (Magic: The Gathering)
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 13:25:47 »
Naahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Please
Don't do it with me!!!

I don't play magic since the 4th edition (okay - I did played online into some versions and I'm playing into PS3)
Dammmmmm
More money to spend

Don't!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 18:48:43 »
This current meta is new and scary to me.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 18:49:02 »
This new meta is new and scary to me.

Me too ffs

Esper 2 stronk

I might quit standard if I can't afford to get all my dual lands for Esper, it's ridiculous atm. Ashiok OP as ****
I love Elzy

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 08:08:37 »
So what do you play? Standard? Commander? Legacy? Online? MtG Thread go

Hey there... Started playing MTG in 1994 back when some GHer weren't even born yet (geez, I feel old). "The Dark" expansion ended and "The Fallen" (worst set ever !?) started and played until Vision or so then lost interest in playing (but I kept collecting cards a bit). I still have all my cards: no power nine (I know some GHer do have them all) but still a pretty nice collection (including most original dual lands FBB [i.e. Foreign Black Bordered], Tabernacle At Pendrell Vale, Bazaar of Baghdad, etc.). All my expensive cards are in a safe at the bank because today they're worth the price of a nice little car ^ ^

(I don't care about tomorrow: I've got these cards since nearly twenty years, I can keep them some more)

Looking back I'm kinda pissed off that I started playing in 1994 and not 1993: instead of having complete "The Fallen" expansion set I'd have complete Arabian Nights and instead of FBB dual lands I'd have the original beta ones  ;D    Just one year off  :(

I don't play MTGo and don't play MTG very often but I do still buy cards which I offer to my 9-year old nephew: he's totally into it since two years already! When I see him I play with him so I kinda more or less stay in touch with the new cards and the new rules ^ ^
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline abdulmuhsee

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 16:43:59 »
Looking back I'm kinda pissed off that I started playing in 1994 and not 1993: instead of having complete "The Fallen" expansion set I'd have complete Arabian Nights and instead of FBB dual lands I'd have the original beta ones  ;D    Just one year off  :(

Fallen Empires you mean?  That's pretty unfortunate that, instead of getting the most valuable cards of all time, you have a complete collection of the most inexpensive (read: worthless) set the game has to date :-).

I have a pretty long MTG story of when I first learned of the game and some of my childhood in general, but it's pretty long so I'll hide it below for anyone that has some free time and wants to read that kind of thing.

More
So way back in grade school, I'd say about 4th or 5th grade, is when Pokemon became a hit worldwide. Everyone - and I mean everyone - in school had a Gameboy and a copy of Red/Blue, and shortly thereafter, binders of Pokemon cards, decks, etc.

When my father finally bought me a Gameboy - and shortly thereafter a starter deck - I too was hooked and to this very day remember my first trades (Machop for Jigglypuff, then Dugtrio for Starmie). My favorite Pokemon was Wigglytuff and I was incessantly teased for it.

After about a year, my mother had another boy come over to babysit; he was only a year older, but she felt better having someone else at the house with me. Naturally, he also played Pokemon and that's what we tended to do.

Most of our trades were insane and didn't actually involve trading cards for cards. Once, I told him that you could jump over the main fence with the horse in Lon Lon Ranch (in Ocarina of Time) after you were trapped inside, but he insisted that you had to jump over the brick and mortar wall. I won the bet after showing him and claimed my holo Venosaur.

Another time, I dared him to eat a glob of a particularly nasty hot sauce called Endorphin Rush (trust me, it was brutal); he complied and I was forced to hand over my holo Lapras.

Eventually, he tried to trade me some cards from a game I had never seen for some of my Pokemon cards. I looked at them but wasn't particularly interested. Nobody else played this card game he was attempting to hawk me for all I knew.

During this time, I was also in the boy scouts, and he joined up briefly for a singular camping trip. Inside one of the tents, he and other kids were trading cards from the same unknown card game.

I peeked over at some of the cards and they gave me a stack to look at. Looking up the cards recently, I now know that the two cards I first remember seeing were Firefly and Radiant's Judgment, the first of which I thought was awesome and the latter just had epic and terrifying artwork.

He then explained to me why his treefolk deck was awesome (and why treefolk in general were awesome), and when we got back from the trip, he built me a deck out of what I'm now assuming were his old and unwanted cards.

The deck was mono-black, and while I don't remember every card in it, I particularly remember Mindstab Thrull with the Mark Tedin artwork, Morgue Thrull, Armor Thrull, and I remember Ebony Charm since it's the first spell I ever cast in a game (before recess ended immediately after I cast it).

Shortly thereafter, I no longer saw the other boy, I think due to some disagreement between my parents and his (if I bring him up today, my mother says, "oh, you mean that naughty boy?"). So I still had the deck he built me, but no longer had anyone to play with and only partially knew the rules.

I essentially just put the cards away and occasionally looked through them and continued with the Pokemon craze gripping the other students; there were plenty of people to play with in that arena.

6th grade ended and summer came; I didn't do much of anything besides enjoy the weather and be a kid. When school began anew, Pokemon was a complete and utter taboo. Only toddlers played Pokemon and anyone caught with any Pokemon paraphernalia was an instant pariah, only suitable for bullying and degradation, so that was the end of that.

When putting away all of my Pokemon stuff in the closet, I came across the Magic cards again and eventually found the local card shop. On the Saturday I went, I discovered that they were having a youth tournament the very same day in a few hours.

I was told I couldn't use the deck I had, so I looked through all their long white boxes of commons and uncommons to make a deck. Planeshift was the newest set out at the time, and I remember having lots of Kavu, a Quagmire Lamprey - which I thought was swell - and other assorted creatures across Black, Red, and Green. I don't even remember if I won any games that day, but I do remember it was the most fun I've ever had playing Magic.

Afterwards, I started attending the Monday Arena nights and the Friday tournaments, begging my parents for more allowance money to buy booster packs as often as I could. I even remember my mother giving me money to buy myself a sandwich at Beef-A-Roo down the street, which I saved and bought a booster with instead.

I played every week then, and Apocalypse came out shortly after. I remember getting multiple Pernicious Deed and Spiritmonger and being so utterly happy since I knew people wanted them - and I could trade them for things I wanted - like Coffin Puppets and Sapphire Leech. I remember falling in love with Mawcor but having no place to put him since my deck wasn't blue.

My main thing about playing the game was to use my own deck that I built and was different from everyone else's. My first real deck was one with Cinder Shade, Looming Shade, and Meekstone. I could pump the shades as much as I wanted yet they would still untap while my opponents' creatures couldn't. I won some games with it I guess, but most importantly, it was my deck with my cards and I was the mage casting them.

Then inevitably, Odyssey came out. I was incredibly unhappy that I could no longer use my Masques, Nemesis, and Prophecy cards. This deck I had put my heart and soul into, begging my parents money so I could buy boosters for, could no longer be used.

I played for a little while, making a new Red/White deck with Pacifism and Wayward Angel, but in the back of my head, I knew that whatever deck I made would just cycle out again. I wish someone had told me something like that would happen.

So I stopped playing. I went back to buy a pack of Torment when it came out, got a Pardic Collaborator (don't remember the rare), played a tournament since my Red/White deck was still legal, but just couldn't enjoy it knowing any deck I made would cycle out. When I went back to buy a pack of 8th Edition and saw the new borders, it sealed the deal and I stopped playing for good.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 18:54:02 »
This new meta is new and scary to me.

Me too ffs

Esper 2 stronk

I might quit standard if I can't afford to get all my dual lands for Esper, it's ridiculous atm. Ashiok OP as ****

It sucks, the power creep for block releases these past few years is too cray.

Offline abdulmuhsee

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 21:31:19 »
It sucks, the power creep for block releases these past few years is too cray.

My general reaction to seeing pretty much any card when I came back to play MTG after 10 years was, "It does what?  And it only costs what?"

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 11:38:55 »
Fallen Empires you mean?  That's pretty unfortunate that, instead of getting the most valuable cards of all time, you have a complete collection of the most inexpensive (read: worthless) set the game has to date :-).

Fallen Empires, right... I told you, it was a long time ago  :(

Oh well, I can't really complain with my collection  :D
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 17:38:11 »
Bought 3 Theros boosters today for fun. Got my $10 back but nothing extraordinary :P
I love Elzy

Offline MTManiac

• can't is the cancer of happen
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 17:49:52 »
WTT old MtG cards for keyboard crack pst  :))

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 18:16:51 »
I'll take an alpha/beta black lotus for either one of my Korean boards.

Or ancestral recall/time walk/timetwister
I love Elzy

Offline MTManiac

• can't is the cancer of happen
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 09:21:32 »
awwww only one korean custom for a BL?

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 11:33:46 »
Found the list for my old Type 1 tournament deck :

#,Color,Name,Type,Cost,Power,Text,Set
1,White,Swords to Plowshares,Instant,W,,Remove target creature from the game. Its controller gains life equal to its power.,Beta
2,White,Swords to Plowshares,Instant,W,,Remove target creature from the game. Its controller gains life equal to its power.,Beta
3,White,Swords to Plowshares,Instant,W,,Remove target creature from the game. Its controller gains life equal to its power.,Beta
4,White,Swords to Plowshares,Instant,W,,Remove target creature from the game. Its controller gains life equal to its power.,Beta
5,White,Disenchant,Instant,1 W,,Destroy target artifact or enchantment.,Beta
6,White,Disenchant,Instant,1 W,,Destroy target artifact or enchantment.,Beta
7,White,Disenchant,Instant,1 W,,Destroy target artifact or enchantment.,Beta
8,White,Disenchant,Instant,1 W,,Destroy target artifact or enchantment.,Beta
9,Black,Juzam Djinn,Creature - Djinn,2 B B,5/5,"At the beginning of your upkeep, Juzam Djinn deals 1 damage to you.",Arabian Nights
10,Black,Juzam Djinn,Creature - Djinn,2 B B,5/5,"At the beginning of your upkeep, Juzam Djinn deals 1 damage to you.",Arabian Nights
11,Black,Juzam Djinn,Creature - Djinn,2 B B,5/5,"At the beginning of your upkeep, Juzam Djinn deals 1 damage to you.",Arabian Nights
12,Black,Juzam Djinn,Creature - Djinn,2 B B,5/5,"At the beginning of your upkeep, Juzam Djinn deals 1 damage to you.",Arabian Nights
13,Black,Nether Void,Enchant World,3 B,,"Whenever a player plays a spell, counter it unless its controller pays 3.",Legends
14,Black,Nether Void,Enchant World,3 B,,"Whenever a player plays a spell, counter it unless its controller pays 3.",Legends
15,Black,Demonic Tutor,Sorcery,1 B,,Search your library for a card and put that card into your hand. Then shuffle your library.,Beta
16,Black,Sinkhole,Sorcery,B B,,Destroy target land.,Beta
17,Black,Sinkhole,Sorcery,B B,,Destroy target land.,Beta
18,Black,Sinkhole,Sorcery,B B,,Destroy target land.,Beta
19,Black,Sinkhole,Sorcery,B B,,Destroy target land.,Beta
20,Red,Stone Rain,Sorcery,2 R,,Destroy target land.,Beta
21,Red,Stone Rain,Sorcery,2 R,,Destroy target land.,Beta
22,Red,Stone Rain,Sorcery,2 R,,Destroy target land.,Beta
23,Red,Lightning Bolt,Instant,R,,Lightning Bolt deals 3 damage to target creature or player.,Beta
24,Red,Lightning Bolt,Instant,R,,Lightning Bolt deals 3 damage to target creature or player.,Beta
25,Red,Lightning Bolt,Instant,R,,Lightning Bolt deals 3 damage to target creature or player.,Beta
26,Red,Lightning Bolt,Instant,R,,Lightning Bolt deals 3 damage to target creature or player.,Beta
27,Blue,Ancestral Recall,Instant,U,,Target player draws three cards.,Beta
28,Blue,Time Walk,Sorcery,1 U,,Take an extra turn after this one.,Beta
29,Blue,Timetwister,Sorcery,2 U,,Each player shuffles his or her hand and graveyard into his or her library and then draws seven cards. (Then put Timetwister into its owner's graveyard.),Beta
30,Green,Ice Storm,Sorcery,2 G,,Destroy target land.,Beta
31,Green,Ice Storm,Sorcery,2 G,,Destroy target land.,Beta
32,Green,Ice Storm,Sorcery,2 G,,Destroy target land.,Beta
33,Green,Ice Storm,Sorcery,2 G,,Destroy target land.,Beta
34,Green,Erham Djinn,Creature - Djinn,3 G,4/5,"At the beginning of your upkeep, target non-Wall creature an opponent controls gains forestwalk until your next upkeep.",Arabian Nights
35,Green,Erham Djinn,Creature - Djinn,3 G,4/5,"At the beginning of your upkeep, target non-Wall creature an opponent controls gains forestwalk until your next upkeep.",Arabian Nights
36,Green,Erham Djinn,Creature - Djinn,3 G,4/5,"At the beginning of your upkeep, target non-Wall creature an opponent controls gains forestwalk until your next upkeep.",Arabian Nights
37,Green,Erham Djinn,Creature - Djinn,3 G,4/5,"At the beginning of your upkeep, target non-Wall creature an opponent controls gains forestwalk until your next upkeep.",Arabian Nights
38,Green,Regrowth,Sorcery,1 G,,Return target card from your graveyard to your hand.,Beta
39,Artifact,Black Lotus,Artifact,0,,"Tap, Sacrifice Black Lotus: Add three mana of any one color to your mana pool.",Beta
40,Artifact,Sol Ring,Artifact,1,,Tap: Add 2 to your mana pool.,Beta
41,Artifact,Mox Pearl,Artifact,0,W,Tap: Add W to your mana pool.,Beta
42,Artifact,Mox Jet,Artifact,0,B,Tap: Add B to your mana pool.,Beta
43,Artifact,Mox Ruby,Artifact,0,R,Tap: Add R to your mana pool.,Beta
44,Artifact,Mox Sapphire,Artifact,0,U,Tap: Add U to your mana pool.,Beta
45,Artifact,Mox Emerald,Artifact,0,G,Tap: Add G to your mana pool.,Beta
46,Land,Strip Mine,Land,,1,Tap: Add 1 to your mana pool.   Tap : Sacrifice Strip Mine: Destroy target land.,Antiquities
47,Land,City of Brass,Land,,X,"Whenever City of Brass becomes tapped, it deals 1 damage to you. Tap : Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.",Arabian Nights
48,Land,City of Brass,Land,,X,"Whenever City of Brass becomes tapped, it deals 1 damage to you. Tap : Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.",Arabian Nights
49,Land,Bayou,Land,,B / G,Land - Swamp Forest,Beta
50,Land,Tropical Island,Land,,G / U,Land - Forest Island,Beta
51,Land,Tundra,Land,,U / W,Land - Island Plains,Beta
52,Land,Plateau,Land,,R / W,Land - Mountain Plains,Beta
53,Land,Volcanic Island,Land,,U / R,Land - Island Mountain,Beta
54,Land,Underground Sea,Land,,B / U,Land - Swamp Island,Beta
55,Land,Badland,Land,,R / B,Land - Mountain Swamp,Beta
56,Land,Savannah,Land,,W / G,Land - Plains Forest,Beta
57,Land,Tiaga,Land,,G / R,Land - Forest Mountain,Beta
58,Land,Tiaga,Land,,G / R,Land - Forest Mountain,Beta
59,Land,Scrubland,Land,,W / B,Land - Plains Swamp,Beta
60,Land,Scrubland,Land,,W / B,Land - Plains Swamp,Beta
Sideboard,,,,,,,
#,Color,Name,Type,Cost,Power,Text,Set
1,White,Greater Realm of Preservation,Enchantment,1 W,,"1 W : The next time a black or red source of your choice would deal damage to you this turn, prevent that damage.",Legends
2,White,Greater Realm of Preservation,Enchantment,1 W,,"1 W : The next time a black or red source of your choice would deal damage to you this turn, prevent that damage.",Legends
3,Blue,Psionic Blast,Instant,2 U,,Psionic Blast deals 4 damage to target creature or player and 2 damage to you.,Beta
4,Blue,Psionic Blast,Instant,2 U,,Psionic Blast deals 4 damage to target creature or player and 2 damage to you.,Beta
5,Blue,Psionic Blast,Instant,2 U,,Psionic Blast deals 4 damage to target creature or player and 2 damage to you.,Beta
6,Blue,Psionic Blast,Instant,2 U,,Psionic Blast deals 4 damage to target creature or player and 2 damage to you.,Beta
7,Black,Underworld Dreams,Enchantment,B B B,,"Whenever an opponent draws a card, Underworld Dreams deals 1 damage to him or her.",Legends
8,Artifact,Icy Manipulator,Artifact,4,,"1, Tap : Tap target artifact, creature, or land.",Beta
9,Artifact,Icy Manipulator,Artifact,4,,"1, Tap : Tap target artifact, creature, or land.",Beta
10,Artifact,Dingus Egg,Artifact,4,,"Whenever a land is put into a graveyard from play, Dingus Egg deals 2 damage to that land's controller.",Beta
11,Artifact,Black Vise,Artifact,1,,"As Black Vise comes into play, choose an opponent.  At the beginning of the chosen player's upkeep, Black Vise deals X damage to that player, where X is the number of cards greater than four in his or her hand.",Beta
12,Land,City of Brass,Land,,X,"Whenever City of Brass becomes tapped, it deals 1 damage to you. Tap : Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.",Arabian Nights
13,Land,Underground Sea,Land,,B / U,Land - Swamp Island,Beta
14,Land,Library of Alexandria,Land,,X,Tap : Add to your mana pool.  Tap : Draw a card. Play this ability only if you have exactly seven cards in your hand.,Arabian Nights
15,Land,The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale,Legendary Land,,,"All creatures have ""At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice this creature unless you pay 1.",Legends

Offline abdulmuhsee

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 18:13:31 »
Found the list for my old Type 1 tournament deck :

So... what happened to the deck?  The four Juzam Djinn alone would fetch a pretty penny.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 12:47:35 »
Sold it years ago, when I quit playing.  Sometimes I wish I held on to it.

Offline Clicky

« Reply #50 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 10:13:55 »
So it was pretty much destiny for me to start playing Magic.  I had seen it a few times in my childhood, but it didn't seem fun to me.  Then I ended up in a situation with a bunch of other guys my age and we had no access to video games or members of the opposite sex...it was like a perfect storm of nerdiness.  Anyways, does anyone have any attachment to a particular color?  I had a friend describe the colors to me, and I was hooked on the idea of blue from that moment.  I have most played mono-blue (which is probably a little silly since blue creatures always seem so expensive in terms of mana and end up being so weak) since that moment, though I have experimented with everything else of course.  I have never been to any sort of organized Magic event, I'm worried I would end up doing something horribly wrong.  So far playing with friends at the kitchen table has been fun enough for me!

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 11:28:47 »
Funny, monoblue is arguably strongest deck right now
I love Elzy

Offline Clicky

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 12:03:45 »
Really?  :thumb:  Know of any place to look up a good current deck build for that?

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 12:31:50 »

Really?  :thumb:  Know of any place to look up a good current deck build for that?
http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/ptths13/top_8_decks

I've been really enjoying Mono Black Devotion.

Grey Merchant and Thought Seize FTW
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 October 2013, 12:33:24 by jwaz »

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 14:17:02 »
So... what happened to the deck?  The four Juzam Djinn alone would fetch a pretty penny.

A beta Underground Sea alone is worth 6 Juzam Djinn and there are two in the deck ^ ^

That deck above today is worth about 15 K EUR / 20 K USD at a quick glance (depending on the state of the cards). I might be a bit of but not that far off. The most thought after cards are the dual lands (especially with the new "fetch lands" that allow to go grab, say, an island: because, precisely, you can go fetch dual lands), ancestral recall, the moxes, ...

It's crazy to think there are still people who have these in an attic without having the slightest idea of what they're worth now. A bit like the researcher who bought for $22 of BitCoin then forgot about them for years and realized his bitcoins were worth... $850 000 or so :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24737671

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 14:51:06 »

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/ptths13/top_8_decks

I've been really enjoying Mono Black Devotion.

Grey Merchant and Thought Seize FTW

I'm playing U/W control and I can swap between than or Monoblue. :) Gotta mix it up.
I love Elzy

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 15:17:58 »
God.. I'm trying to quit guys.. Stop it. just thought I'd mention it here in case anyone was interested but I'm selling off my collection. Mostly dka stuff up to dragons maze.
Keyboards Owned:

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 01:14:54 »
you can quit but it'll always suck you back in lol. always
I love Elzy

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 01:16:35 »
you can quit but it'll always suck you back in lol. always
I just have to quench my thirst with mtgo.
Keyboards Owned:

Offline Mad_Doktor

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 10:42:52 »
I used to play a lot of MtG. Got into it during Shadowmoor and my friends and I played casual (and the occasional Pre-release) a lot.

Unfortunately, we don't play as much any more but I still buy fat packs because they look nice. :P Still have many unopened packs from return to ravnica since I don't play as much any more :(
CM QFR - Cherry Blue | CM Storm Trigger - Cherry Brown | Keycool 84 - Cherry Black | Corsair K95 - Cherry Red | IBM Model M '93

Offline LONGZILLA

• ヽ(`Д´)ノ rawr
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 16:26:58 »
Playing standard ended up being way too expensive, the process of selling my standard singles and probably just play MTGO drafts here and there... time to hang up the thug life (playmat)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 17:51:50 »
Played a few rounds at school today, these kids today don't know bout dem slivers. Absolutely crushed all comers in a few 2headed giant games in a row. So many slivers, so many counters, all aboard the pain train. Choo choo

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 02:21:15 »
slivers so ez...
I love Elzy

Offline goobafish

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 14:05:31 »
Glad to see there is an MTG/MTGO thread here. Need to pickup a standard deck online, but I am waiting for them to bring back PTQs online, what a mess!

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 19:28:54 »
My mono-black devotion deck is so OP

Thoughtseize, Thoughtseize, Underworld Connections, Hero's Downfall, Gray Merchant.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 19:47:13 »
Yep ^^^^^^^^^^^
I love Elzy

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 07:59:04 »
necro bc i'm getting into it and will only consider mtgo if there's enough people here to play casual with. i can't afford drafts but maybe a couple pauper decks and a standard deck or two

my lgs has booster drafts every friday for $10, so i'm planning on spending money on paper anyways. another reason why i'm so reluctant to mtgo

guide me
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 01:40:17 »
if cost is an issue, y'all can do what i'm doing and play pauper decks. i swear it's super fun

it's so lonely here : ' [
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline abdulmuhsee

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 12:25:15 »
I haven't played since the Dragon's Maze prerelease a couple years back.  I sold all of my cards except for a legacy deck I made (or whatever the format is that allows you to use whatever, minus a few OP power 9 type of cards), which I've never used in person.

Is there a way to exchange my paper legacy deck for the same cards on MTGO?  I might give it a whirl if there is.

Offline jjanssen1

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 06:25:22 »
Bringing this thread back from the dead because I just started playing and would like to chat with some more magic players on GH :)
IBM Model M 1386303

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 22:35:59 »
Quit this crack years ago,  but now i started shooting orbs in fire emblem heroes.

Offline thurst0n

• Key-ping it real
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 19:06:26 »
Quit this crack years ago,  but now i started shooting orbs in fire emblem heroes.

For the last 12 years there has been a milk crate full of magic cards that just follows me around whenever I move, living in my closet.

Started looking through all my cards like 3 weeks ago. 1 week ago I ordered two booster boxes of Modern Masters 2017 off of ebay.

Last night I opened those booster boxes and got a Tarmogoyf, Lilliana of the Veil, Cavern of Souls, 2x Scalding Tarn, Verdant Catacombs, Misty Rainforest, 2x Damnation, Goblin Guide and some others but those are the $20 or more cards...

I think wotc wants me to start playing magic again... not sure how I'm going to do that and sustain my artisan addiction, but life finds a way!

Which format do you guys play? I think I'm going to try to do mostly Modern and maybe some casual legacy with friends.
-- Ducky One TKL --

Offline mrduul

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 16:06:27 »
Been playing since Urza's Block.  :thumb: